September 8, 2010

Malmstrom AFB Missile/UFO Incident – Part III

In part 3 of this Malmstrom AFB UFO series (there will be four parts in total for anyone who is wondering), I am going to provide a brief update as to the recent testimony of Eric Carlson. Anyone familiar with the alleged Malmstrom UFO incident knows that Captain Eric Carlson, along with First Lieutenant Walt Figel were key witnesses in the events that took place at Echo Flight on March 16, 1967.

It’s important to understand the scope of what is involved in this analysis. For some reason, a lot of readers – particularly Ufologists and/or various UFO researchers – are under the impression that the intent of this report is to debunk any and all claims of UFO activity at nuclear missile sites around the country during this time period.

The reality is that James Carlson’s research, interviews and analysis is centered upon one thing and one thing only; proving that this particular incident occurred exactly as his father, a primary witness, described it as occurring – not as Robert Hastings described it in his book, and not as Robert Salas has detailed in his account.

Since our tagline here at RealityUncovered is that we are passionate about the truth, then this is an easy enough situation to get a good grasp on and shake out the truth. There are real witnesses and real people involved. In the previous posts, you’ve seen feedback from Walt Figel that states unequivocally that he was not aware of any UFO involvement in the Echo Flight malfunction. It seems inconceivable that this primary witness statement could so directly contradict the claims that Robert Salas and Robert Hastings have made regarding Echo Flight. Yet it does. This also calls into question the accuracy and veracity of Salas’ claims regarding Oscar Flight events as well.

James Contacts His Father

The second primary witness to events within the facility, Captain Eric Carlson, responded to direct queries from his son James recently (Aug 25, 2010) with a response that really leaves very little doubt as to what he reports happened at Echo Flight. The reason James Carlson decided to contact his father again was because he noticed that people were questioning the lack of input from Eric Carlson, James’ own father. James wrote (in the RU forum):

“Many peoplehave asked why my father hasn’t been interviewed to the extent that Col. Walt Figel was. I asked him, therefore, to give me some kind of a written statement. It’s actually pretty fun to read; if anybody believes that this statement is not from my father, then ask him yourself. As Salas has repeatedly insisted that my father confirms his version of this event, I think it’s necessary to examine the contents of this statement.

To enable a fuller understanding of my Dad’s communication with me, I’d like to point out a few facts first:

(1) Salas says my father confirms his story;

(2) throughout my interest in this event, Robert Hastings has repeatedly stated that my father told him I have severe mental problems that have worried my family, implying that the arguments I’ve made, and the issues I’ve examined cannot be trusted as a result of these mental problems; I am seriously considering a lawsuit directed at Robert Hastings for slander and defamation of character;

(3) critics, particularly Robert Hastings, have suggested that my father has memory problems, and that his testimony, to a great extent, cannot be trusted for that reason. With these facts in mind, I ask that you please give his statement the attention it deserves”

A Statement From Primary Witness – Captain Eric Carlson

Eric responded to his son’s query as follows (emphasis mine).

“Let me start by stating that, as best as I can recall, my only contact with Salas and Hastings has been on the phone. I did tell Salas that he could release my name to whomever he wished, don’t know why he needed my permission. I have talked to a newspaper writer in Great Falls, several years ago, and a TV producer from one of those UFO shows. With both these individuals I denied any knowledge of any UFO’s at Malmstrom. In addition, I stated that there was no, repeat no, incident at Oscar flight as Salas maintains. The man is either lying or delusional.

My onlly contact with Hastings was a call I received from him regarding his book. I stated that his book sounded interesting and he later sent me a copy which I read and gave away to Gabriel or Kier. At no time did I mention anyones mental status; yours, mine, his, or Salas’, although in retrospect I could comment on Salas’.

My memory is quite good regarding the events at Malmstrom and there is no doubt in my mind that there were no reports of UFO’s and no incident at Oscar flight. I will be willing to discuss this with anyone who is truly interested in the facts.

Be sure and let me know when you write something else as your e-book was factual and interesting.”

Following up this statement from his father – I decided to take Mr. Carlson up on that offer. As of tonight, I’ve interviewed retired Captain Eric Carlson myself. Unless his father has shared the interview with him, even James himself is unaware of the answers his father provided in response to my direct questioning about this event. James requested that he be left completely out of the loop and unconnected to the interview, as he expected opponents and critics to accuse him of tampering or otherwise affecting the witness. I was impressed by this, and moved forward with coming up with questions for Eric. I will be publishing this final interview in the last update – part 4 – of this series.

In closing I would like to refer readers to a press release that James Carlson issued on September 6th, directly taking Hastings and Salas to task for their upcoming National Press Conference to be held on September 27th at the National Press Club in Washington, D.C. It is certainly the hope of James Carlson, and probably the hope of readers out there who are also passionate about the truth – that maybe, with any luck, there will be a reporter present who has read Captain Eric Carlson’s statement, and Walt Figel’s statements earlier in this blog, and will ask Robert Hastings and Robert Salas direct questions at the National Press Conference about those witness statements.

Filed under: UFOlogy,Ufology History,UFOs — Tags: , , — RyanDube @ 4:50 am

12 Comments

1. avatar

Excellent post Ryan, the truth is a truly compelling case should be able to withstand the intense scrutiny of even the most “rabid” debunker… this obviously isn’t one of them and anyone that knows you would never accuse you of being a “rabid” debunker. :)

Comment by Access Denied — September 8, 2010 @ 5:26 am

2. avatar

Great news! Yeah I listened to your podcast interview with Don Ecker so I’m a bit more familiar with realityuncovered’s background. I just emailed George Noory and George Knapp informing them of this website’s information on James’ research and that James has a scribd book freely readable on the subject. I asked coasttocoastam to correct their error of promoting this blatant misinformation from Robert Hastings and Robert Salas.

Comment by drew hempel — September 10, 2010 @ 9:25 pm

3. avatar

Outstanding stuff, Drew — it’s always a pleasure; for some reason I was unable to comment on Natural Resonance Revolution — I’m sure I’m doing something wrong, but I wanted to assure you that I have indeed been keeping up with your commentaries and I find them thoroughly enjoyable. Ryan is in the process of interviewing my father for the last section of his report, a process I’ve tried to step back from, because I’ve already been accused of forging the last set of comments my Dad sent (and can you even believe that? when was the last time anybody questioned Robert Hastings’ interviews with anybody at all to that extent? I’ve had people claim that Hastings’ interviews with Figel are valid, but my interviews with Figel are forgeries! but to insist that I’ve forged my own father’s comments are a new low, even for that crowd). In any case, I feel kind of like an “extra wheel” at the moment, because I have no idea how Ryan’s going to handle it — except I know he’ll do a good job. But I’m waiting for it, too, which is kind of weird for me. I can honestly say that today I feel like some folks have got my back, and that’s not a feeling that I’m especially used to, as you probably know. There was a good 2-3 years there when you were the only one that seemed to be paying any attention at all; things are a lot different these days, and one result of that is the “extra wheel” feeling that I get sometimes. It’s a little odd getting used to, but I’m also very thankful for it — it means someone’s paying attention, and for a very long time, nobody was — just you Drew. Thanks for that.

Comment by James Carlson — September 11, 2010 @ 1:30 am

4. avatar

Anyone who reads your book can’t deny the great detail and extensive research you’ve done. So the evidence stands on its own — as Ghandi said — even if just one person knows the truth then that’s enough. Still people can point at the moon, all the time, insisting, look at the moon, not at me pointing! haha.

Comment by drew hempel — September 11, 2010 @ 2:55 am

5. avatar

I think a plausible explanation is that Eric Carlson cannot or does not want to talk about because he was ordered to shut up about it, by his commanders.

Critical Logic suggests this is why Eric and James are throwing a temper tantrum. Clearly we can see its over all the evidence collected by Hastings/Salas that proves a UFO was present.

I agree that RU was not able to debunk this case.

Clearly Hastings would win in court.

Comment by Jim — September 20, 2010 @ 5:57 am

6. avatar

Hastings has 120 USAF Witnesses and RU could not debunk this one case. I think RU should get to work if they want to catch up the Hastings 37 years of research

1 down 119 to go

better get to work RU>

Comment by Jim — September 20, 2010 @ 5:58 am

7. avatar

Jim – what evidence for the Echo Flight UFO that Hastings/Salas offer are you referring to in particular? You mention that you can see it’s “all over the evidence” – but fail to point any out. These two primary witnesses have reported there was no UFO, so could you please share any evidence that remains? I’m sincerely interested.

Secondly, are you saying Hastings has 120 USAF witnesses to the Echo Flight case? I doubt there were even 120 people present…or are you doing like all of the other believers and blanketing this one case across all of the nuclear missile site cases. Why do you do that? Just because the Echo Flight case may be debunked doesn’t mean the other UFO sightings reported at the other missile silos are not true…all we have mentioned is Echo Flight and Oscar Flight – what’s wrong with you people?

Finally – Jim – what makes you feel that it’s our desire to “catch up” with 37 years of research when even just this first case falls apart upon closer examination? Seems most researchers should probably avoid the path Hastings took throughout his 37 years of research. ;-)

Comment by RyanDube — September 20, 2010 @ 6:47 am

8. avatar

Here’s another way you can look at things: let’s see … 120 people over 37 years is less than 4 people per year. I don’t think I would have any problems at all finding 4 people per year who would be willing to make up a story in order to be included in Hastings’ little book of folk tales. In addition, a whole lot of these 120 “witnesses” Hastings claims to have discovered didn’t actually see anything themselves. His book is full of people who insist only that they “heard of such an event” or “was told that an incident occured”. You can trust him if you like, but I’ve published numerous and easily proven lies that Robert Hastings has written about people including discussions of my mental health that he claims he heard about from my father; he’s told people who asked him for my email address, that my father told him not to give them out; these are absolute lies that are very easy to prove — and yet he told them anyway. So we’ve already established, without any doubt whatsoever, that he’s a liar. We also know that many of his “witnesses” responded to advertisements that he placed on the internet requesting stories about UFO incidents to be included in his “research” — and that isn’t exactly primed to bring in the most honest of individuals. Tell me, how many absolute UFO hoaxes do you find on the internet? And what makes you think that those individuals talking to Robert Hastings are telling the truth? Or that he’s being honest about what they told him? After all, we’ve already established that he distorted the story told him by COL. (Ret.) Walt Figel in order to make it appear that a UFO was involved when no UFO was ever reported or investgated. These aren’t figments of the imagination — these are very easily proven actions that he has without any doubts at all committed. Salas has claimed that both my father and Figel have confirmed his stories, so we know that he’s also a liar. And this is before we even get into examining the story he’s got to tell! You combine all of that with the proven fact that Hastings is also a liar to start off with, and anything you come up with is not going to increase this man’s credibility. You add that to the fact that every one of his “witnesses” regarding Echo Flight alone are either very easily refuted or have nothing actual to report except rumors, and you lose even more credibility. You should take all of that above, mix it into a gigantic ball of fallacies, lies, and disinformation, and ask yourself “why is he taking less than a dozen people with him to Washington, DC on Sept. 27, 2010 if he’s got 120 trustworthy individuals that he’s tracked down over the past 37 years?” Don’t take this the wrong way, because I’ll be the first one in line to tell you that I’m a jerk, but if you believe everything that Hastings has included in his little book that he is desperately trying to sell you a copy of, you’re an idiot.

Comment by James Carlson — September 20, 2010 @ 11:07 pm

9. avatar

Stay Tuned folks

****A crushing defeat for RU is in the works******

Robert Hastings will have the audio recordings of Eric Carlson and Walt Figel admitting to everything Salas has been saying and it will be posted by the middle of the week,

** This will rip RU and the Carlsons story to bitty bitty bitty shreds and throw it away****

After that we will distribute all the audio recordings proving Robert Salas and Robert Hastings to be telling truth** and we will have Audio to prove it

you cannot escape this

your doom is near

In the middle of the week we can officially putting the lid on RU’s little expose

and it appears Hastings will come out the winner and with——–>> ***AUDIO RECORDINGS*** to prove it.

Don’t think this is going to happen??? Just watch and find out what awaits you very very soon.

Comment by Jim — September 21, 2010 @ 10:52 am

10. avatar

Hey Jim,

You left out: “***SUNDAY! SUNDAY! SUNDAY!!!***”

If Hastings has had audio recordings to back Salas’ claims, why doesn’t he post them up today? Does he have to finish editing out all of the parts where Walt and Eric state that they did not hear or see anything regarding a UFO?

Furthermore – which trumps which, an interview from *several years ago* where the word “UFO” might have been casually said by Figel during a phone conversation, or an interview barely a month or two ago?

I look forward to hearing the audio (hopefully unedited). What’s the date on them, btw?

Please see the rest of my comments in the comment area of part 4, and please stop spamming our blog.

-Ryan

Comment by RyanDube — September 21, 2010 @ 1:44 pm

11. avatar

Jim — so we’re all going to “stay tuned”, as you suggest, but please keep in mind that we’re not going to “stand still” while we await the non-existent retorts from Salas and Hastings. When I first published the results of my interviews with COL. (Ret.) Walt Figel last March, Hastings immediately wrote a statement insisting that he would post within a couple of days more transcripts of his interviews with Figel proving that everything my father and I have asserted is untrue. “Within a couple of days” has since grown to over FIVE MONTHS, and he’s published NOTHING in response. In fact, he’s now actively telling his various stooges around the world that I have lied completely about even contacting Walt Figel, which he is very aware is a lie itself, since Walt Figel sent us both the exact same email. You think I’m lying about this? I can prove it completely with absolutely no difficulties, because I’ve saved every email I’ve ever received in relation to Echo Flight. Nobody is making this stuff up — ROBERT HASTINGS IS A LIAR AND I HAVE ALREADY PROVEN IT!! In fact. as a result of the numerous lies that he has written to numerous third parties, I have an excellent case of libel that I am currently putting together, one that I absolutely cannot lose!

In any case, why are YOU talking about all of the iron-clad evidence that Hastings is in possession of and will soon publish to the horrible consternation of everybody at RU? Who the Hell are YOU, Jim? Are you just another of his attack dog stooges that he releases on occasion everytime he wants to say something that he’s too cowardly to say in person? Why in the world would anybody give a damn what YOU have to say? Bring in Robert Hastings! Let him defend himself for a change!! He’s a cowardly piece of garbage who attacks people incessantly when he has no answer to their extremely valid criticisms! I’ve been waiting for five months for these non-existent retorts that he is apparently “compiling” that I am equally positive don’t even exist! He’s also promised — in the forums at ATS — that he would willingly answer a list of 49 very valid and specific questions that I put to him 4-5 months ago, and would do so after a little trip he was taking to Alaska, which he took and then came home from 4-5 months ago! He hasn’t bothered to answer even one, and a lot of people have asked him about this! He is always saying that he’ll answer the criticisms, that he’ll prove the lies, that he’ll supply the transcripts, but it’s been five goddamn months and he has produced NOTHING except personal attacks and more promises. I don’t mean any offense, pal, but are you BRAIN DEAD? When will you wake up from your apparent coma and realize that he has NO response?

Let me ask you, why is it that everytime I come online at any forum he is expounding his BS on, he immediately signs off? Why does he ignore every question I’ve ever presented to him, when simply answering them would increase his own credibility? Why has he promised to publish these transcripts — a two day job at best — for the past five going on six months if he actually has them, when doing so immediately could only increase his credibility? Why is it that everytime I ask a question of him or Robert Salas in the comments section of the articles they publish at UFOCHRONICLES, they very quietly remove those questions in the middle of the night like some sad little sneak thief, delete them entirely, and refuse to acknowledge them at all, when a simple answer that you insist they can easily supply could only increase their credibility? Good God, man, even Paul Kimball, the filmmaker behind “Best Evidence” that first elevated this ridiculous dog of a UFO fable to a position as one of ten UFO cases best supported by the evidence has acknowledged that Hastings’ silence the past 5-6 months has done him great damage, and has lost him a seemngly insurmountable pile of credibility, so your refusal to even examine that aspect of the Great Silence of Robert Hastings borders on behavior so deviant that you might want to have it looked into. Hell, maybe you’ve got a brain tumor — couldn’t hurt to check, huh?

Bring on Hastings — ’cause you’ve got nothing interesting to say; you don’t even understand this case; you’re just a loser with access to a public library PC who can’t do anything more than mouth the most recent whining coming out of the Salas-Hastings camp. You’re just a waste of bandwidth, pal…

Comment by James Carlson — September 21, 2010 @ 8:32 pm

12. avatar

[...] The Malmstrom AFB Missile/UFO Incident – Parts 1, 2, and 3 http://www.realityuncovered.net/blog/2010/08/the-malmstrom-afb-missileufo-incident-march-1967/ http://www.realityuncovered.net/blog/2010/09/the-malmstrom-afb-missileufo-incident-part-ii/ http://www.realityuncovered.net/blog/2010/09/malmstrom-afb-missileufo-incident-part-iii/ [...]

Pingback by PsiOp Radio » PsiOp Radio 130 – 101003 — October 2, 2010 @ 12:40 pm

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.

Reality Uncovered Social Networking