Ruwa Zimbabwe 1994

Hard to debunk

Moderators: ryguy, chrLz, Zep Tepi

Ruwa Zimbabwe 1994

Postby nablator » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:44 pm

This one seems hard to debunk.

While reviewing the threads on ATS and elsewhere, I found a lot of nonsense about this case, and a relatively weak opposition. Some good critical posts by m0r1arty, DoomsdayRex and others, but also unneeded speculations that can be put to rest IMHO (hallucinations, flying disks). There is no (in depth) analysis of the available documents and videos anywhere I looked. There is a lot of useful information to extract from them, and put in perspective. As this case keeps coming up on forums as the ultimate "skeptics got owned" argument for alien visitation, it is worth examining once again, this time better I hope. This forum is the perfect place to present my little findings. After this introductory post, examining the evidence will take time, because there is a lot to talk about.

Initially I thought: there is no denying that these children saw something strange; is it possible to understand what likely happened 16 years after the facts, and only from the available documents? Now I think it is, mostly, and we'll see why no mass hysteria or lies were actually involved.

First of all, there is no way to disprove that those children encountered aliens. So I won't try. Can't prove a negative. Solving this case would require finding who or what, exactly, frightened the children that day, and this is not likely to happen. Time will not tell. 16 years later, the probability of witnesses claiming "I was there, I saw it all", remembering something useful, is low. I may be wrong about that. If this case becomes as mythic as Roswell, hundreds of witnesses will start popping up 30+ years after the facts. :mrgreen:

Anyway, If aliens are not completely stupid, and they want to do whatever it is they are doing in secret, no one will notice. Anything, anyone can be an alien. Your cat may be an alien, your neighbor too, and worse of all, YOU may be a hybrid! Now I'm starting to sound slightly nutty... Paranoia aside, all this might be true, but we don't know so let's not get carried away... :)

It is true that we only have what the investigators wanted to show us, so it is not easy to find out about the missing pieces. We don't have:
- reports and interviews other than pro-ETH documentaries and articles,
- any picture or video of the first landing area, or even from the point of view of the children (I started smelling a rat there),
- all the drawings by the children, only a carefully selected few,
- the uncut video of the witnesses' interviews,
- answers to many questions, I'll list them later.

We have:
- two very interesting articles by Cynthia Hind in UFO AfriNews no. 11 and 12,
- two videos, one from the first visit of Cynthia Hind four days after the incident and the second from John Mack's investigation two months later,
- an article by Dominique Calimanopulos and an interview of John Mack,
- several books that don't add anything to the above.
nablator
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Re: Ruwa Zimbabwe 1994

Postby m0r1arty » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:12 pm

Au contraire Nab,

I think this one is incredibly easy to debunk - the children started telling a tale of the X-Files, Cynthia caught wind of this and showed up with loaded questions coercing them into a false reality which she then validated by taking the 6 most active nodes who were following her story, and also older than the other kids, and made a small childish fabrication into a bona fide believers buffet.

Allow me to come back to this post here with further evidence I've acquired (love the edit button here!)

-m0r

Additional information as I find it; This will be reworked into a decent prose piece once compiled:

1994, ah those soft summer days playing with my friends in that private school in Ruwa. How we'd talk about being couped up in our mansions in our protected compounds watching TV in our bedrooms. X-Files was big at the time....oh wait, I'm not one of the kids...but it's not hard to imagine that type of talk going on is it?

Cynthia's account of the incident. which takes note of a reported incident on Wednesday 14th September of a 'UFO' seen in the sky as part of her opening summary to describe recent unexplained aerial phenomena.

This hoax incident takes place 2 days prior, her interview with the children a further 4 days later on Tuesday 20th September 1994. Plenty of time for the kids to discuss the 'scary' thing the other night and then make up their own imaginary version for playtime. Further time to tell each other how the incident actually was and iron out inconsistencies as part of their game.

So:
"Did you hear about that scary UFO on the radio on the way to school"
"Like the ones from the X-Files?"
"Don't mention that program - it scares me!"
"Haha, Wayne is a woose, Wayne is a woose!"

Later:

"Let's play a game of aliens and saucers!"
"It'll scare my little brother Wayne"
"Go on, it will be fun!"
"Ok...but let's not let this get out of hand like that Lord of the Flies book"

And then Cynthia appears, and steamrolls any chance of truth from the story with her open deferential with the group and then singling out those most receptive to her hair brained ideas...

Let us not forget the great swathes of deliberate hoaxes travelling around the Southern end of the African continent at the time, Cynthia was involved in investigating them also. From what is now considered widely to be the '1989 Kalahari crash hoax' to the '1995 Lesotho crash hoax' both masterminded by the then James van Greunen and now proven to be transgendered faux radio astronomer (working with uV Tesla tech) Judy Fältskog by researcher Nenothtu's free Ebook. I'm not saying Cynthia was working with these hoaxers - just to be aware they did exist and the depth of screwed-upness is legendary and wasn't helped by the earlier investigations into the matter.

On top of the matter of Cynthia collecting her favourites into an individual interview with her "objective mind" let's look at the drawings. They are linked to above; hideously awful. Nothing of any semblance from one to the next.
**More on the drawings later***

Pop-up video! Cynthia's interviews:

Inconsistencies within Cynthia's account and those of the children - much??

Right, g2g -wife to see for a bit. Will catch up with more tomorrow and Nab don't worry. I like the fact you brought up this supposed 'smoking gun case' I've tons more to add to it. It'll be good to do so in company that accept things as they are and question things which require questioning.

;)

-m0r
Last edited by m0r1arty on Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Thanks to BIAD for the avatar!
m0r1arty
Reality Is In Sight
Reality Is In Sight

Postby nablator » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:48 pm

m0r1arty wrote:Au contraire Nab,

I know. I'm trying to keep a little suspense... I wrote seems hard to debunk. D'oh. :)
This case is a gourmet delicacy. Don't jump on me just yet!
nablator
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby nablator » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:41 pm

In UFOAFRINEWS no. 11 we learn that Zimbabwe was in the middle of a UFO flap. Two days before the Ruwa school sighting, september 14, 1994, many witnesses saw an amazing light show in the evening sky between 8:50 et 9:05 p.m., see pp. 4-18. Here are some drawings from there:

Some of the testimony are also found there, with google maps location:
http://www.ufodna.com/uf12/uf2/122314.htm
14 September 1994 20:50
Ruziruhuru, Zimbabwe

Silent nocturnal lights soar, maneuver, and turn at low altitude. Follow terrain.

Unusual objects were sighted, that had unconventional appearance and performance. Several lights were observed by 100 witnesses on a farm for 20 minutes. No sound was heard.

Thanks to the excellent SpaceTrack site, we can get the latest known orbital parameters for atmospheric re-entry of many satellites.

An amateur astronomer friend who registered on the SpaceTrack site and actually knows something about the dark art of satellite tracking got the following information from there a few days ago:
For September 14th there are two choices: a US rocket or satellite debris (Westford Needles), but from its number, it must have been very small (1963-014FA), which is also confirmed by its RCS (0.0324) ; and besides, more interestingly, a full stage of a Russian rocket, SL-16 R/B, that launched the Russian military satellite Cosmos 2290 on august 26. RCS is 18.7509; that's a big one, an upper stage of a Zenit-2:
http://www.skyrocket.de/space/doc_lau_det/zenit-2.htm

Big enough to create a nice atmospheric reentry.

Latest data for this object:
SL-16 R/B (Decayed 1994-09-14)
1 23219U 94053 B 94257.75288299 .37353504 +79040-5 +12375-3 0 00644
2 23219 064.8275 117.7743 0005857 359.2076 000.9109 16.58759904003138

The two last lines are the orbital parameters of this satellite. The 94257.75 "epoch" is 1994-09-14 at 18h UTC.

Zimbabwe does not switch to DST, and stays at UTC+2:
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/t ... syear=1990

18h UTC is 8 p.m. local time. Let's see if something was visible from the capital Harare, near Ruwa around 8:50 p.m. Note: Ruziruhuru is located about 45 miles west of Harare.

Stellarium can display the trajectory of satellites from TLE parameters. On Windows XP I just put them in C:\Documents and Settings\<userr>\Application Data\Stellarium\modules\Satellites\satellites.json

Code: Select all
{
   "creator": "Satellites plugin version 0.6.4 (updated)",
   "hintColor": [0.4, 0.4, 0.4],
   "satellites":
   {
      "SL-16 R/B":
      {
         "comms": [],
         "groups": ["visual"],
         "hintColor": [1, 0, 0],
         "lastUpdated": 2011-01-26T21:02:18,
         "orbitVisible": true,
         "tle1": "1 23219U 94053    B 94257.75288299  .37353504 +79040-5 +12375-3 0 00644",
         "tle2": "2 23219  064.8275 117.7743 0005857 359.2076 000.9109 16.58759904003138",
         "visible": true
      }
   },
   "shortName": "satellite orbital data"
}

Between 8:50 and 8:54pm, in the sky above Harare can be seen:

Bingo. :D
Last edited by nablator on Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:02 am, edited 4 times in total.
nablator
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby nablator » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:51 pm

m0r1arty wrote:X-Files was big at the time....

I don't know what was on TV these days, but the news of an amazing local sighting was relayed by TV, radio and the press, so everyone knew about it, and many had seen it. I can imagine how the kids who didn't already know about UFOs got introduced to the subject. Everyone "knows" that UFOs are ET vehicles, right ? :mrgreen:

This (first) documentary was shot 4 days later by a BBC cameraman who visited the school with Cynthia Hind. It is full of revealing details. While listening closely to what the kids actually say, I thought that many questions should have been asked, and now is not too late to get (some) answers... As often in ufology, we are missing clues that are right under our noses.

In order to keep a modicum of suspense, I won't tell my conclusion just yet, the best part will be at the end!

(But I can tell that I'm pretty sure it wasn't a hoax!)
Last edited by nablator on Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
nablator
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby nablator » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:53 pm

m0r1arty wrote:Cynthia's account of the incident. which takes note of a reported incident on Wednesday 14th September of a 'UFO' seen in the sky as part of her opening summary to describe recent unexplained aerial phenomena.

This is a funny little article that sets the basic storyline and already deviates from her report in UFOAFRINEWS that we'll analyze later.

Suddenly, they saw three silver balls in the sky over the school.
This is a late addition to the story. No child actually reported seeing anything "in the sky over the school" in the UFOAFRINEWS articles and the videos. A UFO incident without a UFO? :)

In UAN no. 11 p. 22 Barry D. said he had seen three objects flying over. Over what? It is not said. From other accounts the object(s) were seen hovering over the bush. Since the bush is high enough to hide a child should he venture there (p 19.) I wonder how high the UFO actually was... Couldn't the lower part simply have been hidden by the bush? ;)

Dr. John Mack was visiting Zimbabwe at the time of the event
No he wasn't. He visited two months later. :)

Further time to tell each other how the incident actually was and iron out inconsistencies as part of their game.

Inconsistencies appear in the articles by Cynthia Hind in UFOAFRINEWS, however. In the video CH only asks a few leading questions, interrupts the children, does not listen...

BTW, can you tell me what was said in the playground when she asks the boy about the second landing area, and how the UFO moved there? She interrupts the boy, suggests something... I don't quite get it at 7:30 in the second part. This may be important, because it is never mentioned anywhere else.

They never go near the landing areas. Nothing can be seen in the video: the power line, the trees, everything is a blur in the distance due to low quality. The two available pictures don't show anything useful either. Did something need to be hidden there at all costs? :)
nablator
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby nablator » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:36 pm

Let's review the UFOAFRINEWS articles.

UFOAFRINEWS no. 11
http://www.ufoafrinews.com/pdfs/UFO_AFRINEWS11-150.pdf

p. 19:
Note for later: the little man was wearing a headband. Groovy.

Beyond their playground, which was dotted with several clumps of trees, the rest being mostly cleared ground, there was a bush area. The ground there belonged to the school and although attempts had been made to clear and level it, it really was still rough land: long grass with thorn and other indigenous bushes, trees growing in higgledy-piggledy fashion, and undergrowth thick and heavy enough to hide a child should he venture there.

Yet a small man was seen running despite the high, thick undergrowth.

I walked, on my own, along the electricity pylons for quite a away, caught up in thorn bushes, trampling blithely over snake holes and discarding all caution. I found no place where some object could have landed and pressed down the foliage. In fact, I should think the bamboo stumps would have been a deterrent.

No trace from the alleged landing. Worse, no clearing. CH did not look elsewhere. Forced perspective from the point of view of the young witnesses could have tricked them into believing the objects were "among the trees" when they might as well have been behind, further away.

Her child, Fifi (10), later told her that they had seen a small whitish object land about 100 metres from where she was. It glowed. It then came closer and had a sort of golden colour. Some of the children were hysterical.

A description: Fifi saw the object "land" (but not fly). Not all children were "hysterical" (terrified), only those who believed it was the Tolokoshi as is explained in UAN no. 12.

p. 20:
The light from the objects was so bright, it was difficult to discern a shape, although several of the children saw disc-like objects coming in along the power lines and finally landing in the rough, among the trees. There was one large object and two or three smaller ones.

The bright light coming from the objects could have been a reflection from the sun off a metallic surface creating a white or golden glow (it was a bright sunshiny day). The UFOs came along the power line (not above).

They could also hear a whirring noise…

A noise that was described as the sound of a flute in one of the videos, or no sound at all according to another child.

I saw one of the smaller boys crying and when I asked him why, he said he was afraid. Then I also became afraid.

The incident was not frightening itself, but panic was propagated by sight, which certainly did not help the observation. Moreover, some children did not stay, they ran to the "Tuckshop" to call the adults.

A fascinating array of drawings appeared and there were many differences in the craft.

The "fascinating" resemblance and differences between the "crafts" in the drawings can be explained: only the children who actually saw something well enough drew what they saw. The others drew what a UFO might look like. If the children were asked to draw Santa's flying sledge, some degree of resemblance would also be noticed. The drawings are selected, and the most ufo-compatible are selected.

Where the drawings were most consitent were in the descriptions of the small entity the children had seen emerge from the craft.

Most children agreed that the "entity" had black clothes, but in some drawings it (or they) had eyes so big that they extend beyond the face. (Like sunglasses). In some description (cf. UAN no. 12), they wear read and green garments. Some children drew a zombie-like character with round black eyes, a normal mouth, without hair.

P. 21:
He [Guy] said he had just come out to the playground when he saw the children all swarming around at the bottom of the playground, so he ran down to see what was going on. He saw a craft in among the trees. He said it was striped black and green and pointed to his drawing of it.

The children stayed in the playground.

P. 22:
Then they came and
landed near some gum trees;
Barry said the main one (object) was about the size of his thumb nail held at arm's length. The reports were similar although some children were more observant than others. The consensus of opinion was that an object came down in the area where they indicated, about 100 metres from where they were at the edge of the school playing field.
When all this happened, a very strong wind passed over them.

Un strong wind when? After the incident? The object just vanished. It did not take off.

P. 23:
The ET encounter of cult leader Claude Vorilhon (Rael) is quoted as reference of a similar case! Very credible... :roll:

P. 25:
John Mack came to Zimbabwe (2 days), with Dominique Calimanopulos after South Africa. He left on December 7th.

CH never talks about a telepathic message, but she writes about JM:

His particular interest in child psychiatry was also of great use during the questioning as many former hidden memories came to light, something John is sure to make public when he has had a chance to reassess his interviewing.

This is the first reference to JM's discovery of hidden memories. We'll see later, from the second documentary, how this high strangeness element, the telepathic contact, appeared was created. A good alien has to be telepathic, it's a must.

Coincidentally, in this same UAN no. 11, p. 18 we find:

Dr John Mack, from the Cambridge Hospital attached to the Harvard Medical School, feels that we are part of an overall cosmic involvement and that the aliens, or whoever they are, cannot accept our destroying Earth, part of the overall cosmic picture.

JM certainly told about this "feeling" publicly in the interviews and conferences just before his visit at the school. Did the information somehow get reported to the children, who were certainly told who he was, what he was looking for. Could this have influenced the children when they delivered the "telepathic message" from the aliens?
Last edited by nablator on Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nablator
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby nablator » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:57 pm

A few comments about UFO AFRINEWS No. 12
http://www.ufoafrinews.com/pdfs/UFO_AFRINEWS12-150.pdf

As usual, all emphasis mine, and the usefulness of some details will appear in later posts.

P. 7:
Fiona (9 year-old) is a natural skeptic : She could see this strange object, very bright, over in the bush and something dark on the object. But she could not identify it as a 'little man'; she says: 'It could have been a branch or something like that.'

P. 8:
The map shows a path located behind the first "landing area", following the power line!!!
#-o

P. 9:
According to their culture, the children interpret the beings differently: Tokolosh demons "who come and eat you" for black children, aliens for white children, who were mostly - although not all - aware of UFOs So where the drew pictures, it was often identified as 'a UFO' and the little men in black were labeled 'aliens'.
In drawings from other ethnic groups the labeling was different: the little men were called 'unidentified persons' and the craft - or whatever - was called 'the machine', or 'the object'.

I'm glad to know that some children were less culturally biased.

Farai M., aged about 11, agrees with Guy's description of the object being striped with green, black and silver.

Hmmm... Not very saucerish.

P. 10:
One young girl said that when she first looked, she saw three figures: one in red, one in white and one in black.
Guy G. said that the objects were disc-shaped and were glinting among the trees before landing. He pointed out the landing place as at the third pole from the school grounds and the objects had come in along the electricity wires towards this area.

Note: he did not say "above the trees" or "they flew over the electricity wires".

Of the little man, Guy said: 'He was quite lightish in colour, not black. His clothes were black. But there was no noise. And they disappeared into the valley down there. (Below the landing site).

So they could have "disappeared" from sight without de-materializing!
#-o again.

P. 11:
Oriana: 'I saw this black stick, a very thin, long thing on top of the silver thing.'
Daniel M. described the hair : ... it was almost like a hippy's hair, long and black.'

P. 12:
Two drawings, one with square portholes and lights (or reflections from the sun?), one of a rounded object with a doorway and window, and a hairless entity.

P. 13:
Emma C.: 'I saw the objects disappear. They went up about a metre and then they disappeared. ... I thought they were aliens from another planet.'

This contradicts Guy's statement, but we don't know what obstructions there were to the view towards the path from the playground. The path could have gone up one meter then down further away.

Lisa P. : ... I thought it was an alien and then I thought it was the gardener."

In this order, not the opposite...
Last edited by nablator on Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nablator
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby nablator » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:08 pm

The Tokoloshe is a dwarf zombie. Apparently, such a zombie can be created after removing the eyes and tongue from a full-sized corpse.

http://www.vanhunks.com/tokoloshe1.html

"This tokoloshe likes to play with children, and has been seen hundreds of times by school children in various parts of South Africa, even in recent times. Sometimes it will terrorize children by scratching them as they sleep, leaving long, parallel scratches on a child’s back and upon a child’s thigh, scratches that become infected and itch terribly."
Miller said the tokoloshe, able to render himself invisible, will only allow himself to be seen by children, whom he befriends and trusts.

http://www.anatheist.net/2010/07/the-to ... psychosis/
nablator
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby nablator » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:22 pm

Based on the available evidence I have the following mental image (admittedly biased towards the prosaic) of the main "craft". It has a metallic, highly reflective surface, a doorway on the side, a window in the front and a long "stick" at the top.

The other one striped black, green and silver, seen by Guy G. et Farai M. could be a RV or any kind of strange vehicle that the children were not accustomed to seeing there. The high grass and brush masked the wheels. Not entirely it seems because in one of the most observant child's (Oriana's) drawing we see:

The ET-hippie there is wearing a nice costume with a polka dot pattern. Hilarious.

I could not find a perfect match (headband, black hair, sunglasses, dot pattern) but this is close:

Frightening... :mrgreen:

(To be continued)
nablator
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby RICH-ENGLAND » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:19 pm

@ nablator.

wow, those pictures could easily be describing the character max fenig from the x files, he had long blonde hair and was a bit of a hippy and lived in a silver caravan just like that with all his alien hunting equipment. lol

for anyone interested, max fenig features in the following 3 episodes:

fallen angel. aired 1993

max. aired 1997

tempus fugit. aired 1997

thanks

rich
Attachments
20742.gif
20742.gif (62.35 KiB) Viewed 10523 times
ATS HAS TURNED INTO A "BALLOONATIC" ASYLUM
RICH-ENGLAND
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby nablator » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:20 pm

Ha. The hair should be black, not blond.
I found funnier pictures but I'm not posting them. [-X
Thanks anyway. :)
nablator
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby nablator » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:47 pm

One of the most interesting part of this story is the telepathic contact that John Mack uncovered. John Mack was convinced by the extremely consistent accounts of this event ("fact"). :?

A few excerpts from the (12?) interviews can be watched in this documentary by Stephane Allix - John Mack Experiencers 3 of 5 (best quality version on Youtube) :

We also get to see there the drawing of a very standard Grey alien with white pupils. How could the boy see them at this distance?

JM: (The question is missing.)
Girl: What I thought was maybe the world is gonna end maybe they were telling us the world is gonna end.

--> Obviously the question was not factual: maybe the child was asked (see later) to imagine what the ET wanted to communicate (knowing fully well that no word was said). Hence the "maybe"...

JM: Why do you think they want us to be scared?
Girl: Maybe because we don't look after the planet and the air properly.

JM: Is this an idea that you have had before, that we don't look after the planet properly and the air or did this idea come to you when you had this experience?
Girl: When I had this experience.

JM: How did this idea come to you when you had this experience?
Girl: I just felt all horrible inside.

JM: At what point did you feel that? When you saw the craft, or when you got home at night?
Girl: When I got home.

--> (!!!) Bad answer, contradicting the previous one: she always takes the second alternative when two are presented. She tries to guess which answer the good doctor would like to hear, from intonations or other hints, regardless of what the question mean.

Girl: All the tree would go down and there would be no air and the people will be dying.
JM: And those thoughts came to you ...

--> JM insists: it must be a telepathic communication. A self-respecting alien must be telepathic, it's mandatory.

JM: How did that get across to you?
Girl: He never said anything. It was just from the eyes.

JM: What was the sense that you got from the eyes?
Girl: He was... interested.

--> Clearly this is a lesson learned and repeated - maybe in school - that the planet must be protected, otherwise there will be no more trees, no air... Of course ecologically responsible extraterrestrials are here to deliver this message. But another girl (a blonde) was describing the eyes as "evil". Very consistent indeed...

The idea that extraterrestrial would want to warn us of an ecological danger is not original. The children could have heard it from CH, from JM, from TV... Not surprising at all. In two months they had the time to ask questions.

The first question, that was removed from the previous video, just before the "high strangeness" element without which a UFO is not marketable, is heard at 2:10 here:

JM: Tell me what do you imagine is their reason for visiting Earth?

Boy: I think it's about... something is gonna happen.

--> Good guess, but he could have done better. With more leading questions and creative editing anything is possible!

Then (at 2:37, same kid):

JM: How did that get communicated to you?

:roll:

The boy is coaxed to imagine a rationale, then transpose it into the real world in the next question. A manipulation that is hidden by the editing of short sequences in the video. John Mack is caught red-handed encouraging the child to confabulate, integrate imagination into reality. JM knew that there was no verbal communication, so why did he suggested so heavily a different type of communication? What else than telepathy could it have been? The children did not make up the telepathic message, JM did. It became a "compelling" element of the story, fully validated by the famous Harvard psychiatrist.

This type of leading questions did not bother JM, as he did not believe in the separation between subjective and objective reality. Words like "reality", "happen" should be redefined according to him.

:cry:
Last edited by nablator on Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
nablator
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby nablator » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:03 pm

Skeptics quickly jump on the hoax bandwagon because finely tuned bullshit-o-meters easily detect such baloney. However, there are ways to tell half true, half untrue stories (or fables) without intentional deception. First there are honest mistakes in perceptions. Then interpretations and (false) memories change the initial stimulus into something quite different. When the evidence is not traceable, no photographs were taken, no trace remains of what really happened, imaginations run wild. Then there are extreme beliefs, that color the imaginary version of the facts in a biased direction. Then there are bad investigations, gathering circumstantial evidence using confirmation bias and circular reasoning, uncovering "hidden" memories with witness' manipulation techniques. The Ruwa case is a perfect example of all of these. The witnesses did not lie, they confabulated, basing fantasy on what they saw and what was suggested to them.

Confabulation
Psychology:To fill in gaps in one's memory with fabrications that one believes to be facts.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/confabulation

In France there have been recent scandals about the practice of some psychiatrists, creating false memories that are supposedly "repressed" and actually suggested, implanted by the psychiatrist. A journalist made a documentary about that with a hidden camera. Abuse by a member of her family was strongly suggested in the first interview, despite her denials.

Most psychologists accept as fact that it is quite common to consciously repress unpleasant experiences, even sexual abuse, and to spontaneously remember such events long afterward. Most of the controversy centers around recovered memories during repressed memory therapy (RMT). Critics of RMT maintain that many therapists are not helping patients recover repressed memories, but are suggesting and planting false memories of alien abduction, sexual abuse, and satanic rituals.

http://www.skepdic.com/repressedmemory.html
Last edited by nablator on Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
nablator
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby nablator » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:27 pm

Mass hysteria is a different phenomenon, despite the similarities: the panic that developed many times in African schools, the line-of-sight propagation. But illness-like symptoms were reported: fainting, convulsion, etc., not simple fright.

A few cases :
http://www.iol.co.za/news/south-africa/ ... l-1.438427
http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-185687065.html
http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/ ... a-20090814
http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/ ... l-20090811
http://www.ajol.info/index.php/safp/art ... 1432/49576
nablator
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Next

Google

Return to Best Evidence