Paranormal beliefs linked to brain chemistry

Hard to debunk

Moderators: ryguy, chrLz, Zep Tepi

Paranormal beliefs linked to brain chemistry

Postby Hidden Hand » Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:42 am

From New Scientist: Paranormal beliefs linked to brain chemistry

Whether or not you believe in the paranormal may depend entirely on your brain chemistry. People with high levels of dopamine are more likely to find significance in coincidences, and pick out meaning and patterns where there are none. {snip}

Believers were much more likely than sceptics to see a word or face when there was not one... However, sceptics were more likely to miss real faces and words when they appeared on the screen. {snip}

That suggests that paranormal thoughts are associated with high levels of dopamine in the brain, and the L-dopa makes sceptics less sceptical. "Dopamine seems to help people see patterns," says Brugger. {snip}

Dopamine is an important chemical involved in the brain's reward and motivation system, and in addiction. Its role in the reward system may be to help us decide whether information is relevant or irrelevant...
Is this a private fight, or can anyone join in?
Hidden Hand
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality

Postby ryguy » Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:01 am

Off the top of my head I can think of quite a few people who are definitely over-doped. :) I can also think of several people who could use a little more of that juice. lol

It takes a happy balance to be a true open-minded skeptic.

-Ry
---
"Only a fool of a scientist would dismiss the evidence and reports in front of him and substitute his own beliefs in their place." - Paul Kurtz

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
ryguy
1 of the RU3

Re: Paranormal beliefs linked to brain chemistry

Postby FulgurTempest » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:20 pm

I am sorry, I wish it were this simple, but when 3 people experience the same activity it is not one over active dopamine mind.
~The artist formerly known as Nephratari~
FulgurTempest

Postby ryguy » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:37 pm

FulgurTempest wrote:I am sorry, I wish it were this simple, but when 3 people experience the same activity it is not one over active dopamine mind.

That's true, however where the over-active mind comes in is how experiences are interpreted. Often, 3 similarly-minded people feed eachother's collective hysteria and misunderstandings about an event that occurred or what the cause of some strange or paranormal activity may be.
---
"Only a fool of a scientist would dismiss the evidence and reports in front of him and substitute his own beliefs in their place." - Paul Kurtz

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
ryguy
1 of the RU3

Postby FulgurTempest » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:58 pm

ryguy wrote:
FulgurTempest wrote:I am sorry, I wish it were this simple, but when 3 people experience the same activity it is not one over active dopamine mind.

That's true, however where the over-active mind comes in is how experiences are interpreted. Often, 3 similarly-minded people feed eachother's collective hysteria and misunderstandings about an event that occurred or what the cause of some strange or paranormal activity may be.

This is true in that case, however in the situation I am speaking of, that was not the case. The phenomenna was experienced seperately before it was shared. It was the same for all parties.
~The artist formerly known as Nephratari~
FulgurTempest

Google

Return to Best Evidence