UMMO

The ones that didn't get away

Moderators: ryguy, chrLz, Zep Tepi

UMMO

Postby longhaircowboy » Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:27 pm

Wasn't sure where to put this. In going over some old files of mine I came across a 1968 story called the UMMO Affair with some interesting aspects that may relate to Serpo.
Here's a brief synopsis.
The contacts were reported to be tall and blonde and to have come from a star system some 14 LY away. Travel time was estimated at 7-8 months. They had overcome disharmony and lived in an antiseptic world and loved their gadgetry. They used a numeric of 12.
Now in 1970 when Jaques Vallee was researching this(he thought the CIA was involved) there was a British company called UMO Plant Hire Ltd. that was exposed as a KGB front and a number of folks were expelled from England.
Most of the information for the original story can be traced to Spains ABC newspaper and was relayed by a Catholic priest Father Edvardo Lopez.
Also there were a couple of conferences held in Spain in the early 70's related to UMMO but it seems to have since vanished. I'd be interested if anyone had any other info.
lhc
Save a horse, ride a cowboy.

Memory...is an internal rumor.
George Santayana
longhaircowboy
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Re: UMMO

Postby Chorlton » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:14 am

It was a Hoax

Info here
http://www.ufocasebook.com/saucerssixties.pdf

In an interview with journalist Linda Strand, Vallée observed that there existed the strong possibility that UMMO was in fact some sort of covert exercise by one of the world's intelligence agencies, possibly aimed at the creation of a cult which would later be put to other uses. He was not alone in his observation: it had already been suggested by certain Spanish investigators that life on UMMO -- an antiseptic society obsessed with personal cleanliness, heavily dependent on gadgetry for every detail of their existence, flitting about in air cars straight out of The Jetsons -- reflected the ideal futuristic society from an American cultural perspective, thus hinting at the possible motive force behind the entire affair.
The UMMO phenomenon can lay claim to being the longest-running hoax in ufology. It drove wedges between believers and non-believers -- between those who had received,
yet again, the Good News purveyed by the space brothers and those who took a more skeptical approach. Apparently, the scientific jargon that characterized the UMMO reports led many to consider it the real thing. Curiously enough, the very first "sighting" of one of Ummite saucers -- at Aluche in 1966 -- was witnessed by José Luis Jordán Peña, a habitué of the Merry Whale and an engineer by profession, who has since been accused of perpetrating the entire hoax.
The Decade
I have become that which I always despised and feared........Old !

My greatest wish, would be to own my own scrapyard.
Chorlton
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Postby longhaircowboy » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:42 pm

I had seen the UFOcasebook entry some time ago but thanks for refreshin the memory.
Not sure I agree with UMMO being the longest living hoax though. I think Meier might have that title.
If you come across anything else pas it along. I'm tryin to get my archives in order. I've let them go for too long.
lhc

George Santayana
longhaircowboy
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby IsaacKoi » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:23 am

longhaircowboy wrote:I'd be interested if anyone had any other info.
lhc

Hi,

A useful source of various relevant documents and articles online about UMMO can be found at the link below:
http://ufologie.net/ummo/index.htm

If you own, or have access to, a good collection of UFO books then you might find the references below useful (which I've noted from various books I've read).

I'd highlight the 36 page discussion by Vallee in his book “Revelations” and the 11 page discussion by Vallee in his book “Invisible College”.

Relevant references to discussion of UMMO and related photographs:

Baker, Alan in his “The Encyclopaedia of Alien Encounters” (1999) at pages 243-245 (in an entry entitled “UMMO”) of the Virgin hardback edition.

Blundell, Nigel and Boar, Roger in “The World’s Greatest Alien Abduction Mysteries” (2001) at page 446 (in the chapter entitled “Encounters of the Aerial Kind”) of the Chancellor Press softcover edition.

Blundell, Nigel and Boar, Roger in their “The World’s Greatest UFO Mysteries” (1986) at page 187 (in the chapter entitled “What are They, Why are They here?”) of the Octopus hardback edition (with the same page numbering in the Hamlyn softcover edition).

Brookesmith, Peter in his “UFO: The Complete Sightings Catalogue” (1995) at pages 89-90 (in Chapter 4), 136 (in Chapter 6) of the BCA hardback edition (with the same page numbering in the Blitz hardback edition, and in the Barnes & Noble hardback edition published under the title “UFO: The Complete Sightings”).

Clark, Jerome in his “The UFO Encyclopedia: The Phenomenon from the Beginning - 2nd edition” (1998) in Volume 2:L-Z at pages 939-942 (in an entry entitled “Ummo Hoax”) of the Omnigraphics hardback edition.

Clark, Jerome in his “The UFO Encyclopedia: The Phenomenon from the Beginning - 2nd edition” (1998) in Volume 1:A-K at page 510 (forming part of an entry entitled “Hoaxes” at pages 504-519) of the Omnigraphics hardback edition.

Corrales, Scott in “The Encyclopedia of Extraterrestrial Encounters” (2001) (edited by Ronald Story) at pages 622-623 (in an entry entitled “Ummo affair”) of the New American Library softcover edition, at pages 609-610 of the pdf edition (with the same page numbering in the Microsoft Word edition).

Corrales, Scott in “The Mammoth Encyclopedia of Extraterrestrial Encounters” (2001) (edited by Ronald Story) at pages 746-747 (in an entry entitled “Ummo affair”) of the Robinson softcover edition.

Dash, Mike in his “Borderlands” (1997) at pages 298-300 (in Chapter 8) of the Arrow paperback edition.

Evans, Hilary in his “Gods, Spirits, Cosmic Guardians” (1987) at pages 262-263 (in Chapter 7.4) of the Aquarian softcover edition.

Evans, Hilary in his “The Evidence for UFOs” (1983) at pages 140, 141 (in Chapter 7) of the Aquarian softcover edition.

Hendry, Allan in his “The UFO Handbook” (1979) at pages 207-208 (in Chapter 16) of the Sphere softback edition.

Holzer, Hans in his “The UFOnauts” (1976) at page 153 (in Chapter 6) of the Fawcett Gold Medal paperback edition.

Keel, John in his “Disneyland of the Gods” (1988) at pages 32-33 (in the unnumbered chapter entitled “A Short History of Boobery”) of the I-Net softcover edition.

Keith, Jim in his “Casebook on the Men in Black” (1997) at pages 72-75 (Chapter 6) of the I-Net softcover edition.

Knight, David C in his “UFOs: A pictorial history from antiquity to the present” (1979) at page 161 (in Part 4) of the McGraw Hill hardback edition.

Oberg, James in his “UFOs and Outer Space Mysteries” (1982) at page 111 (in Chapter 5) of the Donning paperback edition.

Ortzen, Len in his “Strange Stories of UFOs” (1977) at pages 52-53 (in Chapter 6) of the Coronet paperback edition.

Randles, Jenny and Hough, Peter in their “Looking for the Aliens” (1991) at pages 197, 198 (in Chapter 21) of the Blandford softcover edition.

Randles, Jenny in her “Alien Contact – The First Fifty Years” (1997) at page 58 (in the chapter entitled “1967”) of the Collins and Brown hardback edition.

Randles, Jenny in her “The Little Giant Encyclopedia of UFOs” (2000) at page 345 (in Part 3, “UFOs Worldwide”) of the Sterling softcover edition.

Randles, Jenny in her “UFOs and How to See Them” (1992) at page 124 (in Chapter 6) of the Brockhampton Press hardback edition.

Rickard, Robert and Kelly, Richard in their “Photographs of the Unknown” (1980) at pages 56, 57 (in the unnumbered chapter entitled “UFOs”) of the NEL softcover edition.

Ritchie, David in his “UFO : The Definitive Guide” (1994) at page 219 (in an entry entitled “UMMO”), 229-230 (in an entry entitled “Voronezh sightings, Russia”) of the MJF hardback edition.

Sachs, Margaret in her “The UFO Encyclopedia” (1980) at pages 338-339 (in an entry entitled “Ummo”) of the Corgi softback edition.

Spencer, John in his “The UFO Encyclopedia” (1991) at page 304 (in an entry entitled “UMMO”) of the Guild hardback edition (with the same page numbering in the Avon softcover edition), at page 358 of the Headline paperback edition.

Trench, Brinsley Le Poer in his “The Eternal Subject” (1973) at pages 119-121, 123-124 (in Chapter 21) of the Souvenir Press hardback edition, at pages 120-122, 124-125 of the Day Book paperback editon (published under the title “Mysterious Visitors: The UFO Story”).

Vallee, Jacques in his “Messengers of Deception : UFO Contacts and Cults” (1979) at pages 55-56 (in Chapter 2) of the 1980 revised Bantam paperback edition.

Vallee, Jacques in his “Revelations” (1991) at pages 98-132 (in Chapter 4 generally) of the Ballantine Books paperback edition.

Vallee, Jacques in his “The Invisible College” (1975) at pages 95-105 (in Chapter 4) of the Dutton hardback edition, at pages 102-112 of the Panther paperback edition (published under the title “UFOs: The Psychic Solution”).

Vallee, Jacques in his “UFO Chronicles of the Soviet Union : A Cosmic Samizdat” (1992) at pages 13-14 (in Chapter 1), 60-61 (in Chapter 5) of the Ballantine Books hardback edition.

Wilson, Colin in his “Alien Dawn” (1998) at pages 135-136 (in Chapter 4) of the Virgin softcover edition (with the same page numbering in the Virgin paperback edition).

Kind Regards,

Isaac
IsaacKoi

Postby longhaircowboy » Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:17 pm

Hey thanks Isaac. I have a lot of those books but the ones you listed that I don't have is very useful.
Again thanks so much.

George Santayana
longhaircowboy
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby Access Denied » Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:15 pm

longhaircowboy wrote:Wasn't sure where to put this. In going over some old files of mine I came across a 1968 story called the UMMO Affair with some interesting aspects that may relate to Serpo.

Hi LHC, thanks for posting this, hadn’t heard of this one before… or if I did I had forgot about it. :)

[moved to “Famous Hoaxes”]

longhaircowboy wrote:Now in 1970 when Jaques Vallee was researching this(he thought the CIA was involved) there was a British company called UMO Plant Hire Ltd. that was exposed as a KGB front and a number of folks were expelled from England.

Interesting, I notice wiki says this…

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ummo

Some people[who?] think some class of secret service, such as the CIA or KGB, may be responsible, but their motivations and aims are unknown, and no proof of such a scheme has been presented.

Certainly as early as 1952 the Robertson Panel (secretly) thought there may be a connection… specifically to the civilian UFO groups APRO and CSI. Of course, the CIA has always believed there’s a communist behind every bush… paranoid?

Then again, the folks behind Serpo, which has a subversive element attached to it by virtue of the alleged “cover-up”, all have former ties to the IC… ;)

Wow, thanks for all the book references Isaac… unfortunately I burned all my UFO books a long time ago. :)
Men go and come but Earth abides.
Access Denied
1 of the RU3

Google

Return to Famous Hoaxes