A Decent John Titor Hoax Busting

The ones that didn't get away

Moderators: ryguy, chrLz, Zep Tepi

A Decent John Titor Hoax Busting

Postby You Can Call Me Ray » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:13 am

This was posted on the other forum that I have frequented a lot (and done a fair share of BS debunking) since 2001:

JOHN TITOR A.K.A. RAZIMUS REPORT

I think Razimus has done a pretty good and thorough job of fingering a group of people that were likely behind the Titor hoax, and exposing how they used many sock puppets to prop up their creation. It would be a better job if he had a lot more defacto evidence, rather than coincidental or merely suggestive.

Ray
The Universe is an Integrated System. Operational, Functional, and Physical.
You Can Call Me Ray
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Re: A Decent John Titor Hoax Busting

Postby Zep Tepi » Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:58 pm

Hmm, I'm not really sure about the guy's conclusions. I used to post regularly on Anomalies and still have an account there, though I haven't posted in a while. I worked with Darby and Rick Donaldson on invesigating the second stage of the Titor story - when the website and book info emerged. It was actually me that made the discovery which led to Larry Haber being identified as having a hand in the re-emergence of the story. Sometimes it pays being an IT geek lol.

I've read Raz's report and I've noticed he has made quite a few basic errors, both factual and in his assumptions. I went across to Anomalies and noticed that Darby has already addressed most of these, here. Interesting, nonetheless.

Thanks for posting the info Ray :)

Cheers,
Steve
Zep Tepi
1 of the RU3

Re: A Decent John Titor Hoax Busting

Postby Luck » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:02 am

I happened to run across this quite by accident and even joined here so I could post this.

Joe Matheny is a guy who does a lot with interactive fiction/ARGs. In a podcast he states the whole exercise was fiction.

From his online resume at http://jmatheny.wordpress.com/print-new ... magazines/, Joe states:
Contributor: John Titor: Time Traveler Project – I created the political and philosophical profiles of the main character. I also contributed to the “future science” data pool that was used by the posters. Originally, this was a story that was to be written on the Internet, and left “unsigned”. However, a few unscrupulous people decided to capitalize on our work by packaging an selling products that purported to be from “John’s family”. To shame them into silence I decided (with permission from the other participants) to divulge my part in the project. After I came out, these products mysteriously went out of print. I am amused that the debate about the reality of John and his “predictions” persists to this day, including places like Coast to Coast AM. Notice I said amused, not surprised.

The link to the podcast is here and he discusses John Titor in the first segment after the Metallica song "Master of Puppets" in the opener:
http://jmatheny.wordpress.com/2009/02/2 ... ux-part-1/
I think the surest sign that there is intelligent life out there in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." (Calvin and Hobbes/Bill Waterson)
Luck
Reality Is In Sight
Reality Is In Sight

Google

Return to Famous Hoaxes