Wm. Cooper, MJ-12

The ones that didn't get away

Moderators: ryguy, chrLz, Zep Tepi

Wm. Cooper, MJ-12

Postby ochre » Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:05 am

Erm, yeah well... I'm back for a while. Since I haven't checked what's been up since last time, I thought I'd pass on a rather nice article I found today at http://www.forteantimes.com/articles/122_disin2.shtml. It's basically an extract from Fortean Times No.122 (April 1999), so this is all you're going to get without buying that issue. Oh, and it's an extract of the second part of the story... Anyway, here we go:

FREEDOM OF DISINFORMATION

WHILE MJ12 - THE SEMI-SECRET BODY ALLEGEDLY OVERSEEING THE ALIEN 'PROBLEM' - AND AREA 51 - THE SUPPOSED ALIEN HQ ON EARTH - ARE NOW WELL KNOWN, FEW PEOPLE ARE AWARE OF THEIR ORIGINS IN THE LATE 1980'S. VETERAN UFOLOGIST DON ECKER, CONCLUDES HIS ACCOUNT.

While MJ-12 - the semi-secret body allegedly overseeing the alien ‘problem’ - and Area 51 - the supposed alien HQ on Earth - are now well known, few people are aware of their origins in the late 1980s. veteran Ufologist Don Ecker, who had a ringside seat at the birth of this murky mythology, concludes his account.

The close of 1988 saw American ufology in chaos over the claims and counter-claims about MJ-12. The airing, in October 1988, of the two-hour TV special UFO Coverup - Live only fanned the flames higher. In it, William Moore and Jaime Shandera - who had both gained fame for their investigations of the MJ-12 affair - introduced two men as American intelligence agents. Disguised electronically and given the codenames of ‘Falcon’ and ‘Condor’, the men stated as fact that the American Government was playing host to alien visitors. Memorably, ‘Falcon’ claimed the "grey aliens" liked strawberry ice cream.
Within days of this broadcast William Cooper sent me his critique of it for publication on the ParaNet bulletin board system (BBS)2. He claimed that UFO Coverup - Live, in tandem with the MJ-12 documents, was part of an elaborate disinformation scheme designed to lead UFO researchers away from the ‘real’ situation.

William Cooper declared that he could confirm "150 per cent" of the ‘Lear Hypothesis’; a paper by John Lear containing allegations of the US Government’s alliance with ETs who, in exchange for advanced alien technology, were ‘allowed’ to abduct unwilling human subjects for experimentation and the harvesting of biological material. The confusing war of fantastic, paranoid and often contradictory claims between Lear and Cooper proved too much for ParaNet’s founder Jim Speiser. He ejected them from the ParaNet membership on 26 October 1988, explaining his reasons in a four-page document.

Speiser also mentioned he had been contacted by a 24-year-old ParaNet user named Jeff Felix whom he agreed to meet in a restaurant in Tempe, Arizona. Felix claimed to work as a cryptology technician for the National Security Agency (NSA) who, while "fooling around" on the NSA computer, had stumbled across files on secret projects called ‘Majestic’ and ‘Aquarius’. After consulting contacts who had a genuine intelligence background, Speiser put some testing questions to Felix at a second meeting several days later. Felix failed this simple test but referred to something he called "Project X-calibur".

When Speiser mentioned this to Cooper, he claimed to have heard of it but knew nothing more. Later that day, Cooper called Speiser back and, to Speiser’s surprise, proceeded to tell him that ‘Project Excalibur’ was real and concerned an MJ-12 project to obtain technology from the aliens. Speiser later said he began to think that Cooper and Felix "were scamming me behind my back". ParaNet, he said, was becoming "a home for unwed paranoids."

That same month (October 1988) Lear sent Cooper copies of all his research into UFOs, including communications from ‘Val Valerian’ (aka John Grace, an airforce NCO on active duty who had a keen interest in UFOs) and the Dallas Revisited videotape made by Lars Hansson exploring the theory that John F Kennedy had been fatally shot by his driver. Hansson had sent it to Lear in the hope that Lear might help finance his JFK research, asking Lear not to pass it on to anyone. The fact that Lear passed it on to Cooper had catastrophic consequences.

In April 1989, KLAS TV journalist George Knapp presented a highly successful multi-part series on UFOs. In one segment, Knapp interviewed a man (electronically disguised) identified as ‘Dennis’ who claimed to have worked at a super-secret site in Nevada known as ‘Area 51’ and at an even more secret site called ‘S-4’. His fantastic claim was he had worked on "real flying saucers". At this time, no-one except Knapp and Area 51 security knew who ‘Dennis’ was.

Lear and Cooper also appeared on a radio programme broadcast from Las Vegas and heard all over the western United States, hosted by Billy Goodman on KVEG radio. In May of 1989, Lear and Cooper were asked to appear on a tabloid television programme, PM Magazine. Later Lear heard Cooper telling the interviewer that while he was on the Naval briefing team in Hawaii, he saw secret files containing documents designated ‘O H Krill’. I knew these documents; John Lear sent me copies of the ‘Krill papers’ in early 1988. I knew that they were written by the USAF NCO John Grace using the pseudonym ‘Val Valarian’.

The name ‘Krill’ was an inside joke, referring to a case in the late 1950s in which Navy investigators interviewed a woman who claimed to channel an alien named ‘Cyrll’. Lear and Grace made up the initials ‘O H’ out of thin air.

Grace did not want his actual name on these papers because he was still in the Air Force. So the ‘O H Krill papers’ were just over a year old at the time of this television programme, yet here was Cooper claiming to have seen them in 1972 or 1973.

Lear said: "When I heard Bill tell the interviewer he saw the Krill papers while he was in the Navy, I motioned him over and asked him, ‘What in the hell are you doing?’ He said, ‘What do you mean?’ I said ‘Bill, John Grace and I did the Krill papers. We named them after a 1950s case’ [..] Well, Cooper insisted he saw them in the Navy. That is when I really began to wonder about Cooper."

By June of 1989 Lear’s paper on the "evil grey aliens," Bill Moore’s MJ-12 research and Cooper’s twist and spin on both subjects, were causing shockwaves throughout American ufology, as exemplified by the controversial 1989 symposium in Las Vegas organised by MUFON (Mutual UFO Network). During that year, John Lear became MUFON’s director for Nevada and had invited Bill Cooper, Bill English and me to speak about our own research. At the very last moment (Saturday, 1 July), Walt Andrus - the International Director of MUFON - objected to the content of the papers by Lear, Cooper and English and cancelled their presentation, scheduled for Sunday.

The MUFON membership reacted with open revolt. Lear threatened to take his speakers down the street to another location and most of the conference would have followed him had it not been for an even more outrageous event. William Moore’s talk ran for over two hours in length and had the audience calling for his blood. He admitted that he had worked hand-in-fist with military intelligence during the 1980s in an attempt to "get on the inside" of the military’s knowledge on UFOs. During his speech, he admitted participating in the ‘disinforming’ of Paul Bennewitz, a civilian UFO investigator who had to be hospitalised for severe mental problems. When Moore’s talk was complete, he refused questions and rushed from the room leaving the proceedings in turmoil. Lear seemed severely stressed and uncommunicative. Later he said: "Bill Cooper came to my house on Friday before the talk and was drinking heavily. He demanded to know who I was working for. He said he was afraid that either I or someone else was setting him up. The more he drank the louder he became and started slamming his hand down on my desk. His girlfriend was there and I thought she might try to temper him but did nothing. He then told me that anyone who tried to cross him would regret it. I moved to the other side of my desk, not sure what he might do. Finally his girlfriend led him out. "

That Sunday (2 July 1989) the ‘alternative’ MUFON event began. Lear spoke first and then Cooper. By this time, Cooper had refined his material and for the most part stunned his audience by claiming the US government had recovered dozens of UFO crashes and alien pilots. The aliens were abducting people and killing them, he said, and the US had a ‘secret’ space programme jointly with the Russians and the aliens with bases on Mars and the Moon. Cooper even claimed there were areas on the Moon where there was free-standing water and vegetation. "Man can walk on the Moon with just an airpack," Cooper confidently told the audience. Finally, he blurted out that President Kennedy was murdered by his secret service driver as part of a huge conspiracy plot and that he read about it in secret Navy documents.

Serious researchers - and some media channels - were now suspicious about Cooper’s claims, especially concerning the Kennedy assassination tape. Even Lear talked openly about how Cooper claimed to have ‘read’ the ‘Krill paper’ years before Lear and Grace invented them.

A rival TV station hired private investigators to follow Knapp and Lazar around. When news leaked out that Lazar was followed to an illegal brothel, Knapp convinced Lazar to go public first. Lazar admitted that he knew the madam, saying she had hired him to set up a computer and software for her.

Facing increasing criticism of his material as unreliable at best or deliberately twisted at worst, Cooper distanced himself from the UFO field. Lars Hansson had spent a great deal of time explaining why the ‘driver’ theory was invalid. Significantly, Cooper had been calling for the driver, William Greer, to be brought before a court of law and charged with murder, seemingly oblivious to the fact that Greer died in the 1970s. Cooper slandered many prominent JFK assassination researchers while pushing this theory and it was obvious he had very little investigative experience with the case. In a typically sudden and arbitrary switch of loyalties, he began to ally himself with the ultra right-wing militia movement, a position he maintains to this day. Now he claims that all UFO cases are actually part of a vast one-world conspiracy by a secret government that aims to enslave everyone through its tyranny.
Ufology was nearly destroyed by the disinformation games I’ve detailed here. Great harm was done; the real problems are still with us and there is no end in sight.

EDIT ---

Ooops... Seems I was a bit tired when posting this, seeing as how I named the thread "Collins" rather than "Cooper" (fixed). Also, I slightly changed the paragraph break for Lear's comment on the drunken Cooper so it'll hopefully make a little more sense. (It was slightly muddled in the original.)

EDIT OUT
Last edited by ochre on Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
cartoonsyndicalist
ochre
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby Zep Tepi » Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:26 am

Very interesting reading!
Great article Ochre, thanks for posting :)

Cheers,
Zep
Zep Tepi
1 of the RU3

Postby Shadow Watcher » Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:32 pm

It answers some of my questions, thanks for posting it.
wondering what the next serpo will be in 07.
Shadow Watcher
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby ryguy » Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:22 pm

This is a must-read for anyone who encounters the MJ12 docs, and especially each time material from the "Krill papers" surface, much as they did very recently with Serpo in the form of the "Seinu" distraction.

What you posted above should be part of any UFOlogy101 reading for anyone new to the field. Great post.

-Ry
---
"Only a fool of a scientist would dismiss the evidence and reports in front of him and substitute his own beliefs in their place." - Paul Kurtz

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
ryguy
1 of the RU3

Re: Wm. Cooper, MJ-12

Postby Decker » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:11 pm

Greetings all, this is Don Ecker and I have just suscribed to the Reality Uncovered Board.

One of the reasons is because of the fantastic job that the Admn. conducted on exposing the "Source A" scam recently.

While wandering thru the various forums I noticed the "Bill Cooper" thread and had to jump in here as my first post. I conducted the very first ever expose on this maniac back in 1990 and for years had to deal with this guy prior to he getting himself killed in a shoot out with the police. If you are interested in this story I have included below two links that will give you a lot more information (probably more than you will ever need to know) on Cooper. The first link is taken from UFO Magazine (in which I was Director of Research for 20 years) and was carried on a website in the UK a number of years ago. It is pretty complete;

UFO News UK
http://www.ufoinfo.com/ufonewsuk/v01/sped.shtml

This next thing is a recent 2 hour broadcast I put together on Cooper on my radio show Dark Matters Radio. I include the link to the show archives, then scroll down, go to Thursday, and the Bill Cooper show is listed there. You may either stream online or you can download it for playing later.

Show Archives
http://www.dqrm.com/showlist/donx2.htm

For whatever it is worth, I do not frequent a lot of web sites but the guys here have my admiration for the work they do. Once again thanks and I hope you find the above links of interest.

Decker
Except For Ending Slavery, Fascism, Nazism, and Communism, WAR has Never Solved Anything
Decker

Postby ryguy » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:28 pm

Don - it really is an honor to have you here. One of the earliest/greatest hoax-busters on our forum - I'm just so excited and glad you decided to sign up. Your presence here brings a great deal of professionalism and legitimacy - and your comments about our work and this forum are more appreciated than you could know.

Okay, I'm gushing, I'll stop...lol.

Thanks again Don - and thanks for providing the Cooper links!

-Ryan
---
"Only a fool of a scientist would dismiss the evidence and reports in front of him and substitute his own beliefs in their place." - Paul Kurtz

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
ryguy
1 of the RU3

Postby Zep Tepi » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:05 pm

Hi Don,
Thanks for signing up, it's great to see you here :)
That reminds me, I neglected the self-promotion aspect of the recent radio interview with you, I should put a link up somewhere...

Cheers,
Steve
Zep Tepi
1 of the RU3

Postby gunter » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:24 pm

I'm also glad to see Don here if for no other reason than to add to the counter balance concerning the knee-jerk , Klassic debunkery of the UFO phenomena that passes itself off as 'science' on this forum. Don's attitude will be both refreshing and disturbing as evidenced by his 2007 statement to Kevin Randle-

I’m tired of the media that is blinded by their prejudice about UFOs, their snide and condescending remarks about something that quite frankly they know nothing about. I’m tired of people claiming to be researchers that refuse to accept the truth about something regardless of how many times it jumps up and bites them in the ass. I’m tired of government agencies that continuously lie about a subject that has shown to be something real and even possibly affect our national security … and getting away with it for over 60 years. I’m tired of believers that become upset when their fuzzy illogic is shown to be as full of holes as Swiss Cheese. I’m tired of frauds and clowns in this field that are shown to be frauds and clowns and yet still are treated like they are stars with something important to say. I suppose you could just say I’m tired of all of it.
http://kevinrandle.blogspot.com/2007/04/don-ecker-quits-ufo-research.html

Those "...snide and condescending remarks about something that quite frankly they know nothing about. ... people claiming to be researchers that refuse to accept the truth about something regardless of how many times it jumps up and bites them in the ass" has long been a way of life at RU. Again- welcome Don Ecker. It's been a while.
consider everything/ believe nothing
gunter
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby ryguy » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:25 pm

gunter wrote:Those "...snide and condescending remarks about something that quite frankly they know nothing about. ... people claiming to be researchers that refuse to accept the truth about something regardless of how many times it jumps up and bites them in the ass" has long been a way of life at RU. Again- welcome Don Ecker. It's been a while.

Don - we have people here on a very wide range of the "believer" scale. Heck - even the ownership/staff run the gamut. What you see from Gunter above is discontent that we've shot down a number of Ufology myths that he held near and dear...similar to how I suspect Salla would react when he reads our latest Theilmann update...lol.

Can't please everyone all the time. :)

-Ry
---

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
ryguy
1 of the RU3

Postby Zep Tepi » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:57 pm

Kim: Show me some evidence to support what you claim is true, and I'll give you my opinion on it, ok?
Zep Tepi
1 of the RU3

Postby gunter » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:29 pm

How about the Lonnie Zamora thread? I'm not talking about ridiculous hoaxes like Serpo or Sauce A. The general tenor among the owners here is to reject UFO testimony in the manner of Phil Klass. An example of this shameless attempt at debunkery can be found here: http://www.realityuncovered.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=883&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=Socorro I'll just note that in the 'investigation' AD actually claimed that Zamora mistook this:

for this:
consider everything/ believe nothing
gunter
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby Zep Tepi » Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:22 pm

If the thought of 12 people going to another planet in an exchange program with aliens is ridiculous, or a human being having modifications to enable them to meet with aliens is ridiculous, why is the thought of two aliens in an egg landing in the desert any less so?

I don't follow your logic.

When one looks at the possible interpretations of the Zamora case, I personally believe the alien landing hypothesis to be the least credible, falling someway behind the hoax and terrestrial vehicle possibilities.
Zep Tepi
1 of the RU3

Postby Decker » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:15 pm

Good morning all. I see that this thread has been active since I joined the other day and that is great.

Stephen, I read your reply concerning why would one thing like Serpo or Source A, which is ridiculous, be any less ridiculous that say the Lonnie Zamora case where he saw something in the desert? Well Zamora was a cop, and by all accounts a very good cop. Grounded, even strict to a sense and not prone to flights of fancy. (As a sidebar I had one hell of an argument with Phil Klass about this case. Klass tried to convince me that Zamora did this to "encourage" tourism.)

My mind is open enough that the cases that have always interested me were primarily military and NASA cases. (However some police cases like Zamora also fascinated me.) Now, is that to imply that I think this was "ET" landing in the desert? No. But ... something landed in the desert and if it was a NASA vehicle then why in hell didn't they just come out and say so? I don't buy the NASA explanation. How about a secret military proto-type vehicle? Hmm, possibly but if so ... and don't forget, as I write this it has been 46 years ago, where in hell is it? How many actual military 46 or 50 years ago secrets .. still secret?

My logic and my sense of BS that certain agencies within the U.S. Govt. spew cause me to suspect, with good reason, that something is and has been going on for a really long time that someone goes to great lengths to suppress. Why? Well often the reason given is national security. But! How many times here in the U.S. have we Americans been told that UFOs have never been a National Security concern? Many-many times. But here is the thing, there ARE UFOs, unidentified flying objects, and in many cases they HAVE been tracked by military and civilian radar, have been witnessed by military and civilian pilots, have been witnessed by ground observers, Hell' Bells, weird sky phenomena have been witnessed by two American presidents ... Carter and Reagan when Reagan was governor of California. I don't need a house to fall on me to convince me that the phenomena is real ... just what the hell is it? For what it is worth.

Decker
Except For Ending Slavery, Fascism, Nazism, and Communism, WAR has Never Solved Anything
Decker

Postby Access Denied » Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:45 pm

Well, my understanding is Zamora believed it was an experimental vehicle...

Just sayin’ :)

Don, what is the single most interesting case for you? Can you post something up about it in the “Best Evidence” forum for discussion?

And for the record Kim, I’ve seen a UFO… and I still don’t know what it was. As Colin Bennett noted about his own experience in the intro to his recent Child Brides from Outer Space article posted on our Blog… “So there!”

That said, I’ve yet to see any convincing evidence that would lead me to believe that an alien spaceship is a reasonable explanation for what I saw all those years ago…

[that wasn’t always the case... but then I started doing my own research]
Men go and come but Earth abides.
Access Denied
1 of the RU3

Postby Zep Tepi » Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:53 pm

Hi Don,
I just wanted to point out I didn't mean Zamora was in on any hoax, just that a hoax is one of the possibilities.

To carry on from Tom's post above, I have personally seen something in the sky that put me on this road in the first place. I don't believe it was an alien spaceship of any kind, but, like Tom, at the time I thought it was a distinct possibility.

Your "best cases" would be a fantastic addition to the forum, I hope you have the time to post something along those lines. Thanks in advance :)

Cheers,
Steve
Zep Tepi
1 of the RU3

Next

Google

Return to Famous Hoaxes