Post here to bring stars and flags to RU!!!!

Suggestions and Improvements

Moderators: ryguy, Zep Tepi

Post here to bring stars and flags to RU!!!!

Postby m0r1arty » Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:34 pm

LOL - Are you f---- kidding?!?!

Pointless currency and ego stoking to make shitty stories go AWOL??

I'm happy to see it being content based here - if it keeps near to the top then it's due to it's readability and/or concept posted or maybe due to popularity.

In my head I rename stars and flags 'tarred and failed'.

Thoughts are welcome (especially when typed and posted).

-m0r
Thanks to BIAD for the avatar!
m0r1arty
Reality Is In Sight
Reality Is In Sight

Re: Post here to bring stars and flags to UR!!!!

Postby Slippery Jim » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:13 pm

In the interests of fairness they should also have icons of a black hole and a flag-burner to negate stars and flags.

3 people flag a post, 3 people flag-burn a post. Result = no flags. 8)
You couldn't find your own arse with two hands, a map and Google!
Slippery Jim
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Re: Post here to bring stars and flags to RU!!!!

Postby Access Denied » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:30 am

m0r1arty wrote:I'm happy to see it being content based here - if it keeps near to the top then it's due to it's readability and/or concept posted or maybe due to popularity.

It all started with Pavlov's dog...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivan_Pavlov

Pavlov's research on conditional reflexes greatly influenced not only science, but also popular culture. The phrase "Pavlov's dog" is often used to describe someone who merely reacts to a situation rather than using critical thinking. Pavlovian conditioning was a major theme in Aldous Huxley's dystopian novel, Brave New World, and also to a large degree in Thomas Pynchon's Gravity's Rainbow.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reinforcement

Reinforcement is a term in operant conditioning and behavior analysis for the process of increasing the rate or probability of a behavior (e.g. pulling a lever more frequently) by the delivery or emergence of a stimulus (e.g. a candy) immediately or shortly after the behavior, called a response, is performed.

We humans are so predictable, save for Milgram's 37… ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milgram_experiment

P.S. I changed UR to RU in the title for you. :)
Men go and come but Earth abides.
Access Denied
1 of the RU3

Postby ryguy » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:01 pm

I sort of like the point system, then we can arbitrarily give a bazillion points to our friends and make any newcomers feel like they're worthless. (kidding of course...)
---
"Only a fool of a scientist would dismiss the evidence and reports in front of him and substitute his own beliefs in their place." - Paul Kurtz

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
ryguy
1 of the RU3

Postby RICH-ENGLAND » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:13 am

it has its ups and downs, its good to show your appreciation for good work by someone but on the downside it encourages people to go on a point building exercise, i was appalled by some of the nonsense that got stars and flags on ATS, and it was also rather embarrassing when nonsense posts by lunatics got more stars than well thought out logical posts.

thanks

rich
ATS HAS TURNED INTO A "BALLOONATIC" ASYLUM
RICH-ENGLAND
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby the|exx » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:26 pm

RICH-ENGLAND wrote:it has its ups and downs, its good to show your appreciation for good work by someone but on the downside it encourages people to go on a point building exercise, i was appalled by some of the nonsense that got stars and flags on ATS, and it was also rather embarrassing when nonsense posts by lunatics got more stars than well thought out logical posts.

thanks

rich

Many people star through friendship and popularity... and little else. The higher the popularity, the easier it is to influence others... Hey presto! Stars! I also think that it's a device by which new people assimilate into the collective. They learn to identify with certain members and find their place within the community, including their stance of certain topics by giving a stamp of approval. I think it's just a way to actively participate, even when they have nothing to add.

Personally, I'm glad that RU hasn't got a star/flag system. Thread topics should be clear enough to lure in those who have an interest, and posts should be intelligent/concise enough to stand on their own merits. Unfortunately, many people at 'other forums' believe that merit (and even truth) come through flags and stars.

|exx
They're coming to take me away, Ha-Haaah!
- Dan Burisch
the|exx
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby RICH-ENGLAND » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:10 pm

haha, agreed, i noticed that, phage gets stars no matter what he posts, although most of the time absolutely deserved as hes a great poster, but i did see times when he had a line of stars for nothing !

i also noticed a certain female poster constantly racking up stars rather undeservedly...

thanks

rich
ATS HAS TURNED INTO A "BALLOONATIC" ASYLUM
RICH-ENGLAND
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Google

Return to Site Business