I've a suggestion

Suggestions and Improvements

Moderators: ryguy, Zep Tepi

I've a suggestion

Postby Shadow Watcher » Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:16 am

Can we implement the use of stars under our names?
You could just arbitrarily assign a number of them to people for no reason what so ever. If you are new youu could get 10, then maybe a month later take away 6 of them and give em to another member. It would kind of be a tweak to those who thrive on points and accolades.

edit: ooops didnt know we did the star thing already. Well we could still mess with them on occassion.
wondering what the next serpo will be in 07.
Shadow Watcher
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby dankk » Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:33 am

Heya SW,

Funny post! lol

The only thing that gets the stars bumped up one at a time is the sheer number of posts made. Nothing else. Nothing very original about that. It is something throughout nearly every board in existence.

Anyone can post. But good posts would be the thing to strive for, and earn a new style of merit. :)

There might (nothing concrete whatsoever and only barely discussed at this time) be a new way of giving members something better to work for. I don't want to say too much about it yet, but I will mention that quality of posts may just bring about something kinda neat for all to see. And the number of good posts attained could lead to another system altogether using something called.

....... SOA's :)

~Dankk
dankk
Banned

Postby ochre » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:06 am

Dibs on GreatWaller's honorary title!

Heh.
ochre
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby ryguy » Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:02 pm

ochre wrote:Dibs on GreatWaller's honorary title!

Heh.

Oh wow...you just reminded me about this request! We gotta see about those stars and honorary titles... :)

-Ry
---
"Only a fool of a scientist would dismiss the evidence and reports in front of him and substitute his own beliefs in their place." - Paul Kurtz

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
ryguy
1 of the RU3

Postby ochre » Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:03 pm

No, please spare me at least...

I was just to giddy to be back here and failed to notice I was addressing a topic that had gone extinct over a month before. (Also, I suddenly remembered I asked at the other place several months ago whether I could get the same title as GW -- after all, my grandfather had war experience too, and at that point it looked as if that was the reason GW had gotten his title.)

Sorry to drag up up the ancient things once more. Wish I could forget...
ochre
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby Max » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:06 pm

We already have honorary titles:

ryguy wrote:I now dub Stonewaller a member of outrageous status.

Just imagine.

-Barton Bimpson
"doh"
8)
View my Blog

You can't photoshop logic.
Max
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Re: I've a suggestion

Postby Jack'sDead » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:24 pm

I too have a suggestion. I like the idea of "starring" individual posts. It allows the reader to give their own "kudos" without have to post something like "Yes, I agree, and everyone should go back and read that post that I am agreeing on because it was a really good post." =D>

I think the glitz, glamour, and gadgets over at "the other place" is what kept me there without bothering to look around elsewhere too much. A bit shallow I suppose, but the interface there was "cool."
...You can call me, Joker!
Jack'sDead
In Search of Reality
In Search of Reality

Postby Access Denied » Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:10 am

Hi Jack, thanks for the suggestion. I checked to see if there were any “off the shelf” phpBB mods for something like that but no joy.

Not sure how useful it would be here though as far as saving bandwidth since we’re not exactly swamped with random “me too” posters. :)

Also, I’ve noticed such gimmicks tend to turn it into a popularity contest and move the focus away from rational discourse... something we strive for.
Men go and come but Earth abides.
Access Denied
1 of the RU3

Postby mojo » Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:40 am

Access Denied wrote:Hi Jack, thanks for the suggestion. I checked to see if there were any “off the shelf” phpBB mods for something like that but no joy.

Not sure how useful it would be here though as far as saving bandwidth since we’re not exactly swamped with random “me too” posters. :)

Also, I’ve noticed such gimmicks tend to turn it into a popularity contest and move the focus away from rational discourse... something we strive for.

i agree with AD on this.
if you need reinforcement of your opinion then it's probably best not to post it in the first place, what you write, think or feel should stand on it's own without the need of validation of complete strangers imho.

for what its worth, :D
mojo
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby Chorlton » Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:26 am

^^^^^^^^^^
Wot he sed
I have become that which I always despised and feared........Old !

My greatest wish, would be to own my own scrapyard.
Chorlton
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Postby Access Denied » Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:17 pm

:lol:

[this is not a one line post]
Men go and come but Earth abides.
Access Denied
1 of the RU3

Postby torbjon » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:35 pm

what the two above AD said ('cuz AD didn't say anything)

Having points granted by mods is bad. Having stars granted by members is bad. Flags bad.

What do mods and members know? They are Dorks. They don't know nuthin'.

oo ooo, super point bozo just authored a thread that has been starred and flagged through the roof by bozo members and mods and simply EVERYBODY is reading it.

Wow. Great for the goose steppers, I guess... I can't cha cha to that rhythm though. If a thread is good, if floats, if not, it sinks *shrugs* Law of the Wild. Think about what we are discussing here for a moment:

All of the systems being discussed (which are implemented on some of the other boards) are MEMBER and OWNER driven, not USER driven. All the boards everywhere have many many more USERS than MEMBERS. (You don't have to be a member to Use the content on the boards).

Members have a radically different personality / psychological profile than Users. The habits, trends, desires of Members may not (and seldom do) reflect the habits, trends, and desires of Users. What is important to Members could very well be worthless and meaningless to Users....

Opening up a point/star/flag system to Users as well is problematic on a lot of levels AND still rather worthless because they are USERS. IF Users actually Wanted to interact with the board and star/flag stuff then they wouldn't be Users any more, they would (by their very action) become Members. True Users have no desire to interact with a board in any way, they just want to use the stuff... they will never vote.

Since virtually all boards have more Users than Members the only thing a point/star/flag system does is illustrate to the Users the opinions / desires (and how whack) the Owners, Mods, and Members of that board are.

Those systems in no way reflect the opinions / desires (and how whack) the Users are. They are Minority driven systems whose Primary Purpose is to Control the Membership.
Expendable Guy. The show is no good without them.
torbjon
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby Jack'sDead » Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:09 pm

Well, the flagging seemed a bit redundant with the starring option in place. The point system was basically a bragging rights meter, and a way for the mods to "spank" people. I didn't really see the need for an "applause" from the staff when I started a good thread. I was more interested in what other members thought. And in that, I did appreciate the reinforcement in "stars." I do still feel the impulse to "star" certain posts here when I read them as well. But I can learn to live without the utility. :wink:
...You can call me, Joker!
Jack'sDead
In Search of Reality
In Search of Reality

Google

Return to Site Business