National Press Club Conference on UFO's

General UFO stories

Moderators: ryguy, chrLz, Zep Tepi

Postby lost_shaman » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:48 pm

ryguy wrote:The psychology of the con artist...certainly more relevant in this area of the paranormal I think?

This removes the burden of possible mental problems from those who chose to believe in the possibilities - and instead places it on the backs of those who are laying out the fishing net, looking for their next "mark."

-Ry

That's certainly interesting and I'm sure it applies to some individuals, but what I see as being a major factor is a general trend in blurring the lines between Fiction and Non-Fiction which would be Sociological rather than Psychological. This isn't something exclusive to this particular issue, it's IMO pervasive.

Take Dan Brown's, The Da Vinci Code (Doubleday 2003), if we ask a group of people if this was a work of Fiction or Non-Fiction I bet we'd get some interesting answers (BTW I haven't read the book). Even if most people tend to consider it to be Fictional it was highly successful. The Book even generated some Tourism in several places.

The Wikipedia entry labels the book as 'conspiracy fiction'. Brown's book incorporates his own Fictional Character, yet the Book incorporates real places and actual Historical events and certainly other peoples controversial research. This IMO seems to have made the Book that much more appealing to people in general than imaginary places and events that people can't look up and read about or even visit for themselves.

Here with this example I'd have a hard time labeling the Author or the Readers of this Book as diagnosable with 'Mental problems'. Same with contemporary "Alien" Mythology, I'm not sure that I can make a significant distinction between one 'conspiracy fiction' and another based solely on the topic under discussion itself.
lost_shaman
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby ryguy » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:36 am

If the story is true....the terrible Irony (with a capital I) is that the mystique and intrigue generated by the quote from an alleged "CIA" spook...may actually have been a comment from a UFO researcher intent to make sure the story did not "get out" before he had a chance to scoop the story himself.

Back on the original topic - the story regarding John Callahan's testimony may hopefully get some clarity if things work out. The discrepancies in the various stories between Maccabee's take, Callahan's testimony, and the ex-CIA source's account might only be due to faulty memory. The event took place in 1987, and if there was a CIA person at any meeting related to this event who stated that the sighting would be kept silenced - it is possible to find out. Because at least in this case, we know who was there.

I just watched the video of Callahan telling his story - and to me he appears as a nice guy, likeable, and appears to be honest as well. I'm convinced at least in this case that there's no reason to believe anyone is making anything up - it's just a matter of refreshing memories and getting the truth out of that foggy recollection.

More coming soon - probably in the form of a short article on the main site and on the blog.

-Ryan
---
"Only a fool of a scientist would dismiss the evidence and reports in front of him and substitute his own beliefs in their place." - Paul Kurtz

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
ryguy
1 of the RU3

Re: National Press Club Conference on UFO's

Postby ryguy » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:53 am

Murnut....this comment is for you.

You presented yourself as a person of honor, and someone who could be trusted. You promised you could maintain privacy of all of the individuals involved in this story, and everyone involved in the exchange trusted you.

I am watching to see if you truly are a man of your word. Or not.

You can reach for glory rather than honor if you like, but I have to say, your final words to me in one of your last emails would make you look like quite the hypocrite.

Just so you know.

-Ry
---
"Only a fool of a scientist would dismiss the evidence and reports in front of him and substitute his own beliefs in their place." - Paul Kurtz

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
ryguy
1 of the RU3

Re:

Postby Chorlton » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:29 am

murnut wrote:Gk could be lying
Edit to add
Yes, I am biased.

Sorry to go off a bit here but I missed the original post, and GK is at the top of my 'Most Wanted Hoaxers' List

GK is and was lying as has been proven and details posted elsewhere on this forum.
He lied over his identity. I already knew who he was but it was also let out of the bag by his mad mate James Casbolt.
Gridkeeper is, as been known by me for a long time one Simon Anderson of Chichester, a man who fakes UFO's pictures at Air Shows. This man is also known as John Lenard Walson, poster of the hoaxed F.A.S.T. videos.
A man so adept at Astrophotography that he was totally unable to take a pretty bog standard photograph of the moon as request of him by John Lear.
Theres more... but Ill leave that for another thread...another time.
I have become that which I always despised and feared........Old !

My greatest wish, would be to own my own scrapyard.
Chorlton
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Previous

Google

Return to UFOs