Tim Good, on the gravy train or a serious researcher?

General UFO stories

Moderators: ryguy, chrLz, Zep Tepi

Re: Tim Good, on the gravy train or a serious researcher?

Postby Chorlton » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:19 pm

In the 80's I met an ex-spook. I didnt believe him at the time but a check a month later proved he actually had been a spook.
He had to retire due to serious health problems and told me that from the day he told his bosses he had to leave, he was 'out in the cold'. He said that, in the time period it took him to go from his superiors office back to his own, he had been shut out. He wasnt allowed to go back into his office except with a senior member of staff and that was only to collect his personal things. He was sent to another office, everything he had been working on or had access to was removed from him, and people he had previously classed as 'good friends' avoided him like the plague.

From that day on he had no knowledge of anything other than what he saw on TV or the media.

This is why I have my suspicions about Pope. He doesnt act like he's been shut out, maybe its a good act, or maybe he's still on the payroll ?.
I have become that which I always despised and feared........Old !

My greatest wish, would be to own my own scrapyard.
Chorlton
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Postby Zep Tepi » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:06 pm

Pope was an analyst, not a "spook" per se, i.e. not someone who would be actively involved in data collection or whatnot.
Zep Tepi
1 of the RU3

Postby Chorlton » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:56 am

Zep Tepi wrote:Pope was an analyst, not a "spook" per se, i.e. not someone who would be actively involved in data collection or whatnot.

I realise that and was not referring to him in my last Post.

However I would dispute that he was not involved in Data collection. He was involved in researching UFO reports and passing those reports back to his superiors. Part of that would be Data collection and research, and as a member of the MOD would have been allowed information unavailable to others.

He also worked for the MOD for over 20 years. He was a Career Civil Servant so why did he leave? to become a UFO researcher? Leave a VERY good wage, conditions and damned good pension to investigate loonies and Aliens and write books ?
No way. I suspect he is still employed by the MOD

Chorlton
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Postby Zep Tepi » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:28 am

It is only my opinion, but I don't believe so. I can see no reason why the MOD would need someone like Nick Pope to remain on the books. Disinformation? Why? He can only talk with any real authority from an official UK pov about events which he has knowledge about, i.e. past events. All anyone needs to do to realise there is no need for someone in an "official" position is read the UFO section of the Sun newspaper. If someone does see an experimental craft in the skies, I'll bet you anything you like it will be reported along the lines of "Aliens took my dog!" the next day...

Nick's FAQ covers some of this. Yes, I know "he would say that" but it makes sense to me.
From Here
{snip - visit the link for the whole faq}

Haven't you signed the Official Secrets Act? How are you able to write and speak about your government work?

I signed the Official Secrets Act on my first day in the MoD and even though I've left, it binds me for life. But it doesn't preclude writing or speaking about my work. Politicians invariably keep diaries and write memoirs, and military officers write accounts of their careers. There's no bar on this sort of activity, provided you follow various rules and procedures, the most obvious one being the absolute prohibition on revealing any classified information.

Are you going to write any more non-fiction books?

Yes. There's lots of fascinating information about UFOs and the unexplained that I've yet to write about, and I hope to be able to turn my attention to this shortly.

Is there going to be a third book in the series of sci-fi novels that began with Operation Thunder Child and Operation Lightning Strike?

I hope so, although making the first two books into a film or TV series is my priority here at the moment.

Why did you leave the UFO project?

After having done the job for 3 years I was promoted and moved to another post at a higher grade. There's certainly no truth to the rumour that I was moved because I was getting too close to the truth, as some conspiracy theorists allege.

What did you do at the MoD after you left the UFO project?

I went to a financial policy job where my duties included considering requests from film and TV companies to film at military bases. We had to consider the potential benefits in terms of PR, training and recruiting, and balance that against the desire to generate some income. I learned a lot about the media in that job (although I'd already been media-trained during my time on the UFO project, not least because I had to appear on TV as an official MoD spokesperson). After that, I went to a security job where my duties included being Clerk to the MoD Police Committee and working with the military police. This was a fascinating job which involved a fair bit of travel, including trips to Germany, Northern Ireland, Kosovo, and two visits to Iraq.

In May 2006 the MoD released a formerly classified UFO study that had been codenamed Project Condign. Are you the author?

No. I was involved in the preliminary discussions that led to the setting up of the study, but had left the UFO project by the time the study commenced, and played no part in it.

Why did you leave the MoD?

I left the MoD in November 2006 after a 21 year career. I'd passed the Assessment and Development Centre, so could have applied for a post at B2 level (formerly known as Grade 7 and Principal), but had already deputised extensively at this grade, so decided it was an appropriate time to move on to fresh challenges outside the Department.

There were media stories about your resigning in protest at the UFO project being closed down, and about your warning about alien invasion.

My resignation became an international news story, but some of the media coverage of my departure was inaccurate. The MoD receives more Freedom of Information Act requests on UFOs than on any other subject, including the war in Iraq. That means my successors have little or no time for the research and investigation that took place in my day. I think this is a mistake and I believe UFO sightings should be properly investigated in a scientific way. The MoD's line on UFOs is that they are of "no defence significance", but it seems to me that any meaningful assessment can only be made on the basis of a proper investigation. Frankly, anything else is assumption and guesswork.

Do you miss working for the MoD?

I very much enjoyed my 21 years working for the Department. I've done some interesting things and really enjoyed working for my country, doing something genuinely important. I miss the buzz of being a part of that - coming home to see things I've been involved in being discussed on the evening news, and knowing there are some things I've been involved in that will never be on the evening news! I miss the people too, of course, though I'm still in touch with a wide range of my former colleagues and have been back to MoD Main Building several times for social events. But all in all, I know I made the right decision, and I have no regrets.

Some people believe you haven't really left the MoD at all, and that your role is to spread disinformation about UFOs. How do you respond?

How can I respond? You can't prove a negative. The rumour isn't true, but if people believe this sort of thing they won't believe my denial, or the MoD's confirmation of my departure. I can't win.

What are you doing now?

I do a mixture of writing, lecturing, radio and television work on UFOs and the unexplained. I also do some consultancy, promotion and PR work. Finally, I have a number of business interests unrelated to the media or the unexplained, to which I can now devote more time.

I personally believe his answer to the last question, coupled with the fact he is seen as (probably) the most credible researcher in the field due to his association with the MOD, greatly enhances the prospect of making a very good living out of the UFOlogy business. I know which path I would take after spending 21 years as a civil servant. Good luck to him!

Cheers,
Steve
Zep Tepi
1 of the RU3

Postby ryguy » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:42 pm

Chorlton wrote:However I would dispute that he was not involved in Data collection. He was involved in researching UFO reports and passing those reports back to his superiors. Part of that would be Data collection and research, and as a member of the MOD would have been allowed information unavailable to others.

I think the point Steve was making is that Pope was an Analyst, not a field agent. When I think of the term "data collection", I think of the guy (or girl) in the field actively collecting data. Or the guy in the office collecting raw data from his contacts. The Analyst receives an entire library of data gathered from the various intelligence sources and simply analyzes that data (sometimes lacking critical info, based on incomplete data, etc...) and then writes up a report for a particular audience (depending on their level of classification).

The above doesn't come from my own knowledge btw...it was actually a question I asked in an interview this month of a CIA analyst many people here would know - and the description above is how the job of "analyst" was described. Given - it could be different in the UK and they may also get involved with the data-collection aspect as well - that, I don't know.

-Ry
---
"Only a fool of a scientist would dismiss the evidence and reports in front of him and substitute his own beliefs in their place." - Paul Kurtz

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
ryguy
1 of the RU3

Postby Chorlton » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:39 pm

Thats the second post of mine thats dissapeared this week.

Im not going to sit here and repost it.
Needless to say. Ive never stated Pope was a spook. he simply aint that bright. However, he displayed all the blandness shown by politicians, and Government employess in his negative answers to questions I put to him several years ago. I wouldnt trust him with any info.
I still maintain he is employed or is on a pay deal with the MOD.
Leopards dont change their spots or throw in 20-odd years of decent employment AND a whopping great comfy pension to write books and research nutcases, unless theyve got a very good offer.

Thats my opinion which no one short of the director of Ops at MOD is going to change.

Chorlton
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Previous

Google

Return to UFOs