STEPHENVILLE, TX - Rash of UFO Sightings

General UFO stories

Moderators: ryguy, chrLz, Zep Tepi

STEPHENVILLE, TX - Rash of UFO Sightings

Postby ryguy » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:09 pm

These are multiple sightings, and witnesses throughout the town are reporting the same object - a flat, metallic object flying low to the ground, and some witnesses report the objects lights changed configuration. Interesting multiple-corroborating sightings in this case. Unfortunately now that it's hit the national news - it will probably be impossible to learn anything of value. But still significant because of the number of folks reporting the same object.

The story on CNN: http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/01/14/ufo.sightings.ap/index.html?iref=hpmostpop

STEPHENVILLE, Texas (AP) -- In this farming community where nightfall usually brings clear, starry skies, residents are abuzz over reported sightings of what many believe is a UFO.

Ricky Sorrells says he saw a flat, metallic object hovering about 300 feet over a pasture behind his Texas home.

Several dozen people -- including a pilot, county constable and business owners -- say they have seen a large silent object with bright lights flying low and fast. Some reported seeing fighter jets chasing it.

"People wonder what in the world it is because this is the Bible Belt, and everyone is afraid it's the end of times," said Steve Allen, a freight company owner and pilot who said the object he saw last week was a mile long and half a mile wide. "It was positively, absolutely nothing from these parts."

While federal officials say there's a logical explanation, locals swear that it was larger, quieter, faster and lower to the ground than an airplane. They also said the object's lights changed configuration, unlike those of a plane. People in several towns who reported seeing it over several weeks have offered similar descriptions of the object.

Machinist Ricky Sorrells said friends made fun of him when he told them he saw a flat, metallic object hovering about 300 feet over a pasture behind his Dublin, Texas, home. But he decided to come forward after reading similar accounts in the Stephenville Empire-Tribune.

"You hear about big bass or big buck in the area, but this is a different deal," Sorrells said. "It feels good to hear that other people saw something, because that means I'm not crazy."

Sorrells said he has seen the object several times. He said he watched it through his rifle's telescopic lens and described it as very large and without seams, nuts or bolts.

Maj. Karl Lewis, a spokesman for the 301st Fighter Wing at the Joint Reserve Base Naval Air Station in Fort Worth, said no F-16s or other aircraft from his base were in the area the night of January 8, when most people reported the sighting.

Lewis said the object may have been an illusion caused by two commercial airplanes. Lights from the aircraft would seem unusually bright and may appear orange from the setting sun.

"I'm 90 percent sure this was an airliner," Lewis said. "With the sun's angle, it can play tricks on you."

Officials at the region's two Air Force bases -- Dyess in Abilene and Sheppard in Wichita Falls -- also said none of their aircraft were in the area last week. The Air Force no longer investigates UFOs.

One man has offered a reward for a photograph or videotape of the mysterious object.

About 200 UFO sightings are reported each month, mostly in California, Colorado and Texas, according to the Mutual UFO Network, which plans to go to the 17,000-resident town of Stephenville to investigate.

Fourteen percent of Americans polled last year by The Associated Press and Ipsos say they have seen a UFO.

Erath County Constable Lee Roy Gaitan said he first saw red glowing lights and then white flashing lights moving fast, but that even with binoculars could not see the object to which the lights were attached.

"I didn't see a flying saucer and I don't know what it was, but it wasn't an airplane, and I've never seen anything like it," Gaitan said. "I think it must be some kind of military craft -- at least I hope it was."
---
"Only a fool of a scientist would dismiss the evidence and reports in front of him and substitute his own beliefs in their place." - Paul Kurtz

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
ryguy
1 of the RU3

Postby ryguy » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:14 pm

You have to admit, the Air Force's explanation was kind of comical:

Maj. Karl Lewis, a spokesman for the 301st Fighter Wing at the Joint Reserve Base Naval Air Station in Fort Worth, said no F-16s or other aircraft from his base were in the area the night of January 8, when most people reported the sighting.

Lewis said the object may have been an illusion caused by two commercial airplanes. Lights from the aircraft would seem unusually bright and may appear orange from the setting sun.

"I'm 90 percent sure this was an airliner," Lewis said. "With the sun's angle, it can play tricks on you."

Er...ok then.... ROFL.

-Ry
---
"Only a fool of a scientist would dismiss the evidence and reports in front of him and substitute his own beliefs in their place." - Paul Kurtz

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
ryguy
1 of the RU3

Postby ryguy » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:20 pm

Here's another article in the local paper for the town:

http://www.empiretribune.com/articles/2008/01/14/news/news01.txt

This is the good stuff.

UFO witnessed in Cleburne by expert

By ANGELIA JOINER Staff Writer
Monday, January 14, 2008 9:47 AM CST

Jason Greywolf Leigh, an expert on UFOs and a resident of Cleburne, will go on the air tonight at 10 p.m. CDT, for the Canadian station http://xzone-radio.com hosted by Rob McConnell to discuss the sighting so many in the area witnessed the evening of Jan. 8.

But the best part is Leigh witnessed the same event from Cleburne in the east-northeast sky and had already started documenting his account before he saw the Empire-Tribune article on Jan. 10.

“I sent him (McConnell) an email Tuesday night after my sighting, or two days before I was contacted by Councilman Murphy about the sightings there,” Leigh said. “It adds more credence to not only that of your people's sighting, but to mine as well!”

Leigh is well known for having filmed the June 11, 1995, daytime footage of a UFO over Cleburne. He said it is rated as one of the top 5 films of UFOs in the world and is extremely rare because it occurred in the light of day.

“My broad daylight footage could not be disputed, as I had first gone in person to the small Cleburne airport and ‘looked' at the flight log and times: no planes in the area at the time, then I called the FAA in Fort Worth, tape recording the call, as I spoke to the operations manager who admitted they had booked a ‘bogey' in the Cleburne area that ‘disappeared' off the screen after ‘x' minutes,” Leigh said. “He even asked me what it was! After we had talked, I told him that not only was I a freelance journalist, but that I saw/videotaped the UFO and recorded our call.”

Leigh has appeared on several television shows with the dramatic footage and his eyewitness account including “Unsolved Mysteries,” and gives lectures on the subject. He has authored a book on UFO sightings and his uncanny ESP ability titled Power Glide.

Leigh said before you can prove a UFO - you must first prove what it is not - so after the Jan. 8 sighting of what appeared to be a “large blue star that zipped off as quick as that,” he got busy. And busier still, when he glanced at the north-northeast sky and saw a jet aircraft at above 20,000 feet, “zooming in the direction that the blue star took.” Then he noticed another jet as he was peering into the west-southwest sky and it, too, was at least 20,000 feet, as it was leaving a trail, he said.

He said the first thing skeptics will say is that what you saw was a star, in particular, Venus.

“The moon is the size of a quarter with your arm fully extended,” Leigh said. “This object would be the size of a dime with arm fully extended which is 60 times larger than any star.”

But to quiet naysayers, he logged on to starpathways.com and researched Venus. Leigh found on Jan. 8 there was a new moon so that would mean a black sky.

“Venus would be due west and as evening progresses it sinks below the horizon,” Leigh said. “Sunset was at 5:38 p.m. It was after six in the evening so it was dark. It was cloudless, although a brisk wind out of the south. You've got to do your homework with this sort of thing.”

Many area residents have questioned what appeared to be an increase in military air traffic in the skies and Leigh documented that as well.

The next day Jan. 9 at 10:30 a.m. he documented four jets, “leaving ‘chem trails' and making zigzagging patterns in the cloudless bright blue sky” and took photos.

“Until you see something as dramatic as a UFO; you will never be the same again - ever,” Leigh said. “I always suggest to those who have seen them for the first time to read a few of my articles, which gives some idea of how to prepare a report and how to go about ‘proving' what they saw as opposed to what else ‘it' or ‘them' could have been.”

Leigh's web site is http://jasonleigh.org.

The Mutual UFO Network (MUFON) has scheduled a meeting for 1 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 19, at Erath County Dairy Sales & Livestock Commission located on U.S. Highway 377/67 South. The public is invited and field representatives will conduct interviews and complete sighting forms. Leigh said he would be in attendance.

By the way....I highly recommend anyone of our members (or lurkers) living in this area of Texas to attend the MUFON meeting and report back on any additional details. If I lived in that part of the country - I'd be there!

-Ry
---

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
ryguy
1 of the RU3

Postby lost_shaman » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:24 pm

ryguy wrote:
By the way....I highly recommend anyone of our members (or lurkers) living in this area of Texas to attend the MUFON meeting and report back on any additional details. If I lived in that part of the country - I'd be there!

-Ry

I live in the region, and happened to witness an amazing UAP in Nov. 2002. Albeit much different than what's being described in these reports.

I also realized as I was witnessing this UAP that there was nothing Sheppard AFB could do about it. The AF clearly doesn't and hasn't acknowledged 'UFO' reports for decades now. At any rate I wouldn't give much weight to Sheppard AFB saying that they didn't see anything.

The MUFON Meeting is interesting , but I doubt I can make it. Although I think it would be interesting to attend a MUFON meeting just to see what goes on.
lost_shaman
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby Access Denied » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:27 am

[sigh]

Here we go again. :x

Apparently the guy in the January 14th article you quoted Ryan who “confirmed” the sighting may have some “issues”…

"Dr. Jason Leigh" crashes in Waco - big time!
http://www.ufomind.com/misc/1998/mar/d10-001.shtml

"Dr. Jason Leigh," a self-promoted UFO expert associated with the Roswell Intl. UFO Museum, made big news in Waco, Texas, on Sunday by crashing his truck into a Veteran Administration building and holding police at bay for 14 hours.

In addition, I already see a number of big red flags that lead me to believe this may be a publicity stunt at worse or a case of misidentification at best.

Beginning with the first article in the local paper on January 10th…

http://www.empiretribune.com/articles/2 ... news02.txt

Steve Allen, Mike Odom and Lance Jones were out admiring a beautiful Texas sunset Tuesday evening when they saw something none of them can explain.

Allen called it an unidentified flying object. And, because he's been a private pilot for more than 30 years, he has a little more experience judging air speeds and distances than most.

So we have three people who presumably knew each other (i.e. collusion can’t be immediately ruled out) and one guy claiming because he’s a pilot he’s somehow more qualified which as we know from previous studies, the reverse may actually be true. The article continues…

“We all flipped out,” Allen said. “I didn't sleep a wink last night.”

Allen was at the home of Mike Odom in Selden about 6:15 p.m. when they suddenly noticed flashing lights about “3,500 feet above ground level,” he said.

“The ship wasn't really visible and was totally silent, but the lights spanned about a mile long and a half mile wide,” Allen said. “The lights went from corner to corner. It was directly above Highway 67 traveling towards Stephenville at a high rate of speed - about 3,000 miles per hour is what I would estimate.

So the “ship” was invisible? Could the lights have been two separate aircraft? 3,000 MPH? Are you serious??? This guy calls himself a pilot? If a "ship" that large flew over his head that fast and low… not once but twice… I’m a little surprised they lived to tell about it. :lol:

Next we have this article from January 11th, the day after the first article, with accounts from a number of other folks…

http://www.empiretribune.com/articles/2 ... news01.txt

A number of area residents have come forward saying they also saw the mysterious lights witnessed by Steve Allen and friends Tuesday night in Selden.

“It was like nothing I've ever seen before,” comes up over and over in their descriptions of bright lights in the sky. Accounts have come in from various locations and a few of those brave enough to come forward are listed below with stories of their own.

Major Karl Lewis of Naval Air Station Joint Reserve Base Fort Worth (Carswell Field) believes he might be able to solve the mystery in a couple of days.

Allen said his phone rang all day Wednesday with people reporting to him that they had seen the strange lights in the sky.

Note the “brave” reference and why were people calling the original witness? Is he with MUFON? Also note that these reports don’t corroborate very well… different color lights etc. Assuming these folks did see something not immediately recognizable then this perfectly illustrates the unreliability of eyewitness testimony in general… it’s highly subjective and ten people will invariably describe the same thing ten different ways.

Next we have this article from January 13 that says MUFON is getting in on the act…

http://www.empiretribune.com/articles/2 ... news01.txt

MUFON Texas Senior Field Investigator and Assistant State Director Steve Hudgeons said field investigators from Waco, Fort Worth, and Dallas will be on hand to interview witnesses and complete sighting reports. He said MUFON is interested in Steve Allen’s first hand account of intensely bright lights and military jets over the Selden community last Tuesday night as well as other accounts.

“I have read the papers and have been sent several e-mails from people that have heard of this sighting and it looks as if there are a good many people that have either seen this or have heard about it,” Hudgeons said. “I will bring down a team of investigators and we will do a mass interview and then do a later follow-up with a selected group.”

A mass interview? That’s a good way to taint the witness testimony. And then followed with a group hypnosis session? (just kidding)

The article continues with this bit of paranoia…

Allen said he has been speaking with a Hillsboro resident who wishes to remain anonymous but is offering a substantial reward for authentic local pictures or videos to assist with validation of the claim. Allen is the owner of L & S Enterprises and Texas Freight in Glen Rose and can be reached at 254-898-1117.

Hudgeons said he encourages anyone with photos or film footage to wait until he can view the material at the meeting before turning it over to anyone else.

“Even if someone says they are from MUFON, don’t turn it over,” Hudgeons said. “I feel that someone from a government entity will pose as MUFON and try to take them.”

[groan]

Setting the stage for anonymous photographs??? :roll:

Now that article also contains this much more reasonable *possible* explanation from the AF (note in the first article Major Lewis said he *might* have an explanation in a couple of days) than what was reported in the MSM news article that everybody is laughing about…

Major Karl Lewis of Naval Air Joint Reserve Base Fort Worth (Carswell Field) reported Friday that no military aircraft from his establishment were in the area Tuesday night. When questioned about military air traffic in the Stephenville area he said there could be a number of reasons for that and most likely it’s because of training missions related to the Brady area.

“There were no F16s from this unit operating and no other pilots from our unit reported a UFO,” Lewis said.

He also said the jets could have been in the area but from a different base or they could have been F18s, which are similar in appearance.

Note he’s not saying there were no jets up… only that there were no F-16s operating from his unit and no *AF pilots* saw a UFO… wink wink. :D 8)

[now take back that AF insult Ryan!] :lol:

He continues…

Lewis said after reading newspaper accounts of what area residents saw he has a plausible explanation — something that he has witnessed himself in his 32 years as a pilot.

“I think it was a consortium of lights. It sounds like sun reflection of an aircraft traveling at high altitude,” Lewis said. “That can cause an intensely bright light like that. Sometimes you can’t look at it because it is so bright. As the angle of the sun changes, the color dulls because the sun is setting on the horizon and it’s hitting the aircraft at a different angle.”

Lewis said intense orange, red or white lights as well as other colors may be seen when this occurs. He also said it could have been natural light phenomenon or a visual illusion caused by natural atmospheric conditions.

Hypothetically, Lewis said, an object of the reported size traveling through the atmosphere would leave a catastrophic “sound signature or footprint.”

An aircraft traveling that fast and at that low altitude would leave an approximate path of four miles wide of damage,” Lewis said. “Low and fast like what was described, would leave a path similar to that of a tornado - it’s a pressure differentiation.”

Another point, he said, was something that fast and low to the ground would create thermal heat, which would create a vapor trail and none was reported.

Lewis said he knows of a plane traveling at mach one speed at an altitude of 5,000 feet, which caused a cinderblock house to collapse, so he doesn’t believe what witnesses spotted was actually a craft of any kind.

Anyway, it’s amusing to watch how this story has evolved… from the “OMG this is proof that UFOs are real!” to the typical “How dare you question what the witnesses saw!”… all from an inaccurate and misleading MSM article apparently.

And who says the MSM won’t touch UFO reports with a ten foot pole? If anything they made the story *more* "interesting". :wink:

[in this case maybe the "true believers" should be more careful what they wish for?]
Men go and come but Earth abides.
Access Denied
1 of the RU3

Postby You Can Call Me Ray » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:05 pm

So the “ship” was invisible? Could the lights have been two separate aircraft? 3,000 MPH? Are you serious??? This guy calls himself a pilot? If a "ship" that large flew over his head that fast and low… not once but twice… I’m a little surprised they lived to tell about it.

Uhhhh, yeah! That is just about Mach 4 at sea level. Since he reported no shock waves nor sonic booms, I guess we must assume they "folded space" eh?

Ray
The Universe is an Integrated System. Operational, Functional, and Physical.
You Can Call Me Ray
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Postby ryguy » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:40 pm

Access Denied wrote:[sigh]

Here we go again. :x

LOL....hey, you know you love this stuff... :)

Allen said he has been speaking with a Hillsboro resident who wishes to remain anonymous but is offering a substantial reward for authentic local pictures or videos to assist with validation of the claim. Allen is the owner of L & S Enterprises and Texas Freight in Glen Rose and can be reached at 254-898-1117.

Hudgeons said he encourages anyone with photos or film footage to wait until he can view the material at the meeting before turning it over to anyone else.

“Even if someone says they are from MUFON, don’t turn it over,” Hudgeons said. “I feel that someone from a government entity will pose as MUFON and try to take them.”

[groan]

Setting the stage for anonymous photographs??? :roll:

That part does make me wary....thanks for looking up all that background AD...nice work btw.

He also said the jets could have been in the area but from a different base or they could have been F18s, which are similar in appearance.

Note he’s not saying there were no jets up… only that there were no F-16s operating from his unit and no *AF pilots* saw a UFO… wink wink. :D 8)

[now take back that AF insult Ryan!] :lol:

ha! Okay now THAT version makes more sense. It implies military activity was taking place in the area at least. I still think the "two aircraft creating an optical illusion" was a bit of a stretch as a theory....but his elaboration in the article you quoted makes a little more sense. The MSM article implied they were saying there was absolutely no activity, yet obviously many witnesses claimed to have seen a certain amount of traffic. His story hints activity that the Air Force would rather keep "under wraps". Oddly enough, the Alaska case has similar elements...and the Air Force always has some funny little blurb that hints that there might have been some military activity....*possibly*...wink wink...nudge nudge...lol

Hypothetically, Lewis said, an object of the reported size traveling through the atmosphere would leave a catastrophic “sound signature or footprint.”

{snip}

Lewis said he knows of a plane traveling at mach one speed at an altitude of 5,000 feet, which caused a cinderblock house to collapse, so he doesn’t believe what witnesses spotted was actually a craft of any kind.

I know...when I read that part of the story, I started to wince...and had flashbacks of all of the posts you, Ray, Serp and others have written on the principles of aerodynamics and what would be necessary for a craft to travel at the speeds implied...the 3000 number is cited often isn't it?

Personally - I find it humorous to watch the Air Force trip over themselves when trying to cover up there own activity over a certain area....lol Of course, if OSI hires guys like certain ex-OSI officers we know....I'm not very surprised at the odd "explanations" they attempt to come up with. :)

Nothing against the Air Force...lol....but you have to admit they could be a *little* more creative. It's almost as though they believe the public is really that stupid... :)

I was laughing about the quote about (1 mile long, 1/2 a mile wide) with a friend - and he turned around and told me a story about a friend if *his* fron New Hampshire who saw a circular UFO with lights on it, supposedly a *giant* one, just hovering over a mountain. Traffic was stopped all up and down I84, including several police squad cars. And the way the story goes, the craft simply "took off" into the atmosphere and disappeared. A few days later the story showed up in the local paper.

A good number of these stories, I think, can be fairly easily explained - but I think if you gather people into a large conference and just ask people who don't typically talk about UFO's, if they've ever seen anything "strange"...a large percentage of people tend to have a story or two...and a very small percentage of them really are very, very difficult to explain away.

-Ryan
---

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
ryguy
1 of the RU3

Postby Access Denied » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:51 am

ryguy wrote:Nothing against the Air Force...lol....but you have to admit they could be a *little* more creative. It's almost as though they believe the public is really that stupid... :)

Sometimes I think people's expectations are way too high... as if the Air Force (or any other government agency for that matter) is somehow omniscient and should have an answer for everything. This case is a perfect example… the quoted comments were most likely in response to a reporter’s inquiry and based on whatever preliminary information the reporter provided or was otherwise available at the time. Remember that as a rule (policy) the AF doesn’t investigate UFO reports (unless of course there’s some indication of a potential National Security concern) and therefore they are under no obligation to provide an explanation… in fact until someone does a thorough, unbiased, and credible investigation in order to determine the facts, how could they?

ryguy wrote:A very small percentage of them really are very, very difficult to explain away.

True, and by definition that very small percentage will stay that way (unexplainable).

[see Klass’s UFO Curse FMI] :)

AD

P.S. This just in...

Pilot Says He Can Explain Stephenville UFO Sightings
http://www.nbc5i.com/news/15069744/detail.html

FORT WORTH, Texas -- A Fort Worth medical helicopter pilot said he knows what caused the strange lights that appeared in the sky near Stephenville last week.

Chuck Mueller was flying a medical helicopter from a Fort Worth hospital, heading south just after sunset last Thursday. He said he saw unusual lights on the horizon near Granbury.

"We were maybe five minutes into the flight when we saw the lights come on, one little orange light, and then another one and another one in sequence across the sky," he said.

His description is similar to what a county constable and dozens of others in Stephenville had described seeing two nights earlier.

"And it was something that I'd never seen before," Mueller said. "And I looked at the medic and he looked at me, and we were like, 'What was that?'"

Muller, a former Army pilot in Iraq, said an explanation "kind of hit" him.

"I'll bet that was an airplane dropping flares, dispensing flares as he was flying along," he said. "It all makes sense. The color was right."

Stephenville is close to the Brownwood Military Operations Area, a major training area for fighter jets.

Other witnesses said they would like to believe Mueller's theory, but it doesn't answer all of their questions.

"But it doesn't explain these little lights," Erath County Constable Lee Roy Gaitan said. "And then the thing about it is just the speed."

They said the lights zipped across the sky at lightning speed.

"An airplane can't do that," Gaitan said. "A helicopter can't do that."

An Air Force spokesman at Fort Worth's Joint Reserve Base said there were no military planes at all in the area last Tuesday.

So take your pick... flares or a 3,000 MPH mile wide alien spaceship? :lol:
Access Denied
1 of the RU3

Postby caleban » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:06 am

Here is a different argument. Lets assume they all saw something unusual
and look at some key characteristics from the above posts. Then, is it possible
to replicate what they saw ? Even worse, I think that what photoshop has
done to photographic evidence, current technologies are at the point where
hoaxters can soon start lighting up our sky with all manner of visual hoaxes.
And I don't mean chinese lanterns.

A quick scan of a few topics (like Laser Display Technology, Airborne Lasers,
Radar Deception Techniques, Visual Deception Decoys, Optical Signature
Recognition, Patented systems for these topics, Commercially available laser
systems, particularly in IR and UV, etc...) should give you some ideas how to
replicate these sightings in a town near you.

Sorrells said he has seen the object several times. He said he watched it through
his rifle's telescopic lens and described it as very large and without seams, nuts or bolts.

Translation in the vernacular of optical resolution: LOW resolution or diffuse. Not the
rifle scope, but the object in view.

"Leigh said: “Sunset was at 5:38 p.m. It was after six in the evening so it was dark.
It was cloudless, although a brisk wind out of the south."

Evening would be a great time to play games with our IR or UV Lasers, we just need
something photoluminescent as a target to make the laser visible to the eye as bright
lights. Although there are many patented materials, I think one good try might be
molecular O2, given the abundance of this material over Texas. Speaking of
abundance, need to check out methane, since this IS Texas.

That is just about Mach 4 at sea level. Since he reported no shock waves
nor sonic booms, I guess we must assume they "folded space" eh?

There are no speed limits or aerodynamic constraints on a projection. No serious
side effect either. In theory, a projection can exceed the speed of light, since the
projection can be accomplished as an illusion which has no relativistic impossibility.

It's almost as though they believe the public is really that stupid.

I wont speak for the AF but as for myself, I see strong evidence for that
statement just by looking at the Corn Flakes in both political parties right
now.
caleban
In Search of Reality
In Search of Reality

Postby ryguy » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:01 pm

caleban wrote:There are no speed limits or aerodynamic constraints on a projection. No serious
side effect either. In theory, a projection can exceed the speed of light, since the
projection can be accomplished as an illusion which has no relativistic impossibility.

What an intriguing hypothesis! I'd assume anyone wanting to do such a thing would need some assistance from an expert in lasers, yes?

-Ry
---

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
ryguy
1 of the RU3

Postby Zep Tepi » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:15 pm

Very intriguing!

163 miles Ry, before you ask... ;)

Cheers,
Zep
Zep Tepi
1 of the RU3

Postby ryguy » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:27 pm

Zep Tepi wrote:Very intriguing!

163 miles Ry, before you ask... ;)

Cheers,
Zep

You read my mind AGAIN.....stop doing that! :)

{Edit to add} - This is an inside joke, we don't really suspect any one person of creating UFO sightings.... at least not in this case. lol

-Ry
---

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
ryguy
1 of the RU3

Postby Access Denied » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:11 pm

ryguy wrote:What an intriguing hypothesis! I'd assume anyone wanting to do such a thing would need some assistance from an expert in lasers, yes?

Coincidentally a friend of mine IS an expert in lasers and many years ago I had an opportunity to find out just how easy it is to generate a UFO flap with one. He had a very high-power laser in his home (I’m talking your classic "mad scientist" type who payed extra for 3 phase commercial electrical service lol) and he used mirrors to direct the green beam out the front door and then we used a common woman’s hand mirror to direct it at the clouds and such at will… next thing you know practically the whole neighborhood was outside watching the sky and people were showing up from miles around (this was in the desert so it was fairly easy to tell where it was coming from) to see what was going on… fun stuff! (highly illegal now of course)

This article cracks me up…

Plasma Laser: UFO Maker?
http://blog.wired.com/defense/2007/05/p ... er_uf.html

Military researchers are today working on a way to defend soldiers with ultra-quick laser pulses and mid-air plasma bursts. But similar technology may have been floating around the Defense Department for years -- and could even be the source of a few UFO scares.

Some years ago, Justin Mullins at New Scientist reported rumors of an 1980’s Air Force project which created plasma balls with lasers:

Researchers working with high-power laser weapons discovered that they could create a glowing ball of fire in the sky by crossing the beams of two powerful infrared lasers…By moving the laser beams around the sky, the researchers found they could shift the plasma ball back and forth at very high speed…. At night, they demonstrated their skills, flying their glowing creations in formation high above the cold desert.

The plasma balls do not seem to have had any direct military use. But there was a suggestion that they might be adapted as a psychological warfare tool. The hissing sound produced by the plasma could be modulated to carry a blurred but understandable signal - a talking fireball. The a device was nicknamed "Voice Of God"; apparently a proposal to use it in the 1991 Gulf War was not accepted. ("It sounds like a project that didn't have the benefit of adult supervision," remarked John Pike of GlobalSecurity.org)

The technology is mentioned in a 1997 Air Force paper on space-based lasers. It notes the impossibility of projecting giant holographic images, but adds:

The ancillary concept of auditory project, however, is feasible and demonstrated, but probably would not be done from a space-based platform given the difficulty of controlling the region of air that is modulated.

Has anyone ever used such a device? There are plenty of accounts of mysterious fireballs racing around the sky, which can only be descibed as "unidentified flying objects." And some of them even talk...

8)
Access Denied
1 of the RU3

Postby lost_shaman » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:45 pm

Access Denied wrote:So take your pick... flares or a 3,000 MPH mile wide alien spaceship? :lol:

Or how about UAP which tend to have several of the described characteristics and arguably are responsible for the majority of 'unexplained' UFO sightings?

Often UAP are self luminous, sometimes occur in groups, and the ability to move at exceedingly fast speeds without causing Sonic Booms etc.
lost_shaman
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby ryguy » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:58 pm

lost_shaman wrote:Or how about UAP which tend to have several of the described characteristics and arguably are responsible for the majority of 'unexplained' UFO sightings?

Often UAP are self luminous, sometimes occur in groups, and the ability to move at exceedingly fast speeds without causing Sonic Booms etc.

Wait...Now I'm confused - isn't UAP, "Unidentified Aerial Phenomenon"?

Or are you referring to a UAV?

-Ry
---

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
ryguy
1 of the RU3

Next

Google

Return to UFOs