Why Did a Senior Intelligence Official Leak Sensitive Email?

General UFO stories

Moderators: ryguy, chrLz, Zep Tepi

Why Did a Senior Intelligence Official Leak Sensitive Email?

Postby Gary » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:34 pm

"Selective leaking has evolved to the point that it is a principle means of waging bureaucratic warfare and a primary tool in the process of policy formation and development in Washington." -- 1987 Tower Commission

Journalists who traffic in classified information can proceed with high confidence that they can publish this information at will, and do so without penalty; and their government suppliers seem not to be deterred either.

From starpod.org stargate007.blogspot.com

Why did a Senior Intelligence Official (SIO) leak apparently sensitive email messages to an Internet Forum via a private citizen and a foreign national of a friendly nation?

People leak information for any number of reasons: negligence, by accident, as an act of espionage, or as willful disclosure to satisfy some personal need ... Countering a well-planned, focused technical or human espionage operation is more difficult, as system vulnerabilities are systematically exploited. The willful disclosure by one with authorized access may be the most difficult leak to manage via technical controls. Individual motivation can be mitigated somewhat by "deterrents," i.e. the use of technical interventions, psychological and behavioral threats that generate fear of detection and reprisal.


The heart of the controversy between the Reality Uncovered Forum (Ryan Dube, Stephen Broadbent) and our interpretation of leaked emails passed from a Senior Intelligence Official comes down to sources and methods.

The Federation of American Scientists (FAS) Secrecy News website offers tantalizing clues to the thought process of the Intelligence Community.

FAS has posted a couple of documents you can download as PDF FILES (see below) that illustrate some of he concerns raised about leaks of intelligence information to the media (and a recent declaration from the government raised certain bloggers or citizen journalists to the status of members of the media).

Among the numerous issues cited within the documents we found this to be potentially relevant to the actions of the SIO:

There is a lot of classified information in the press these days, but this note, like the paper, is only concerned with classified intelligence information. Even more narrowly, its focus is confined to intelligence sources and methods, namely, how intelligence is secretly collected and analyzed.


In an email we received from the SIO on March 1st, 2007, concerning the content and comments provided about the leaked messages, the SIO wrote:

"I can see you understand the importance of not revealing sources. It is even more important not to reveal methods as these potentially can be applied to multiple sources."

Clearly the SIO's concerns indicated that the leaked messages were at the very least about a sensitive issue, and the dissemination of the messages suggested a method involving intelligence collection and analysis.

... the perennial risk of exposing sensitive information in open court proceedings often deters the government from taking action. For example, an investigation of a major disclosure of highly classified information about sensitive collection activities might never be started -- or could soon be halted -- due to acute worries over further revelations about sources and methods. The reason? Intelligence agencies justifiably fear additional exposures of even more sensitive information in legal proceedings that would follow. As a result, significant leaks investigations always face the risk of being aborted after start-up, or are not started at all. This extraordinary Catch-22 is that the greater the sensitivity -- and intrinsic importance to national security -- of the information compromised in the media, the greater the incentive for governmental inaction.

References:

CIA TASK FORCE REPORT ON LEAKS (2002)

Although there is no foolproof system of preventing unauthorized disclosures of classified information ("leaks"), there are a variety of new technical tools that can deter such disclosures or facilitate identification of those who compromise information security, according a 2002 CIA Task Force Report that was released last year under the Freedom of Information Act.

See "Interagency Task Force Report on Unauthorized Disclosure of Classified Information," CIA Directorate of Science and Technology, 25 March 2002:
http://www.fas.org/irp/cia/product/leak-report.pdf

A supplementary paper argued that new legislation against leaks was "urgently needed." The author singled out the National Security Archive and the Federation of American Scientists for propagating the "popular myth that the government over-classifies everything, and classifies way too much."

See "Leaks: How Unauthorized Media Disclosures of US Classified Intelligence Damage Sources and Methods," Foreign Denial and Deception Committee, 24 April 2002:
http://www.fas.org/irp/cia/product/leak-report-supp.pdf
Gary
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality
 
Posts: 845
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2007 1:28 am


Postby Zep Tepi » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:40 pm

"apparently sensitive email messages"

Huh?

You must live for the drama, Gary. :roll:
.
Image
User avatar
Zep Tepi
1 of the RU3
 
Posts: 2150
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:59 pm

Postby lost_shaman » Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:13 pm

What does this have to do with the UFO Phenomena/UAP?
User avatar
lost_shaman
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality
 
Posts: 409
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:56 am

Postby Gary » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:14 am

lost_shaman wrote:What does this have to do with the UFO Phenomena/UAP?


It is related to the UFO phenomena because:

Message SOURCE#1 and Message SOURCE#2 attended a meeting of the USG UFO Working Group, as confirmed by an audio recording of SOURCE#1.

SOURCE#2 has on occasion hinted at contact between USG and "an extraterrestrial source." Who/what SOURCES provided that information?

Intelligence officials don't leak personal emails without an underlying agenda. The question to ask is why did the SIO request that the messages be handed over to REALITY UNCOVERED, a forum that deals with the UFO subject?

And then there is this, from Ryan Dube:

In early November, Bob Collins, a retired Air Force intelligence officer formerly with the Foreign Technology Division and author of the book Exempt from Disclosure, published a statement in response to questions about an allegedly classified document from his book entitled “Adam and Eve Report”. In his online comments he wrote:

"It wasn't Officially Declassified anymore than other material I have here. No government agency would acknowledge any of it, the same for the DIA docs. I paid Rick for his services so the material belongs to me.....Rmc"

Several sources who were part of the email discussions report that Collins further stated that the “Adam & Eve” information came from Richard C. Doty’s sources in 1999 when they had allegedly received payment from millionaire and philanthropist Joe Firmage in exchange for still-classified documents.


Again, from the FAS document:

Intelligence agencies justifiably fear additional exposures of even more sensitive information in legal proceedings that would follow. As a result, significant leaks investigations always face the risk of being aborted after start-up, or are not started at all. This extraordinary Catch-22 is that the greater the sensitivity -- and intrinsic importance to national security -- of the information compromised in the media, the greater the incentive for governmental inaction.
Gary
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality
 
Posts: 845
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2007 1:28 am

Postby Access Denied » Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:37 am

Gary wrote:Clearly the SIO's concerns indicated that the leaked messages were at the very least about a sensitive issue, and the dissemination of the messages suggested a method involving intelligence collection and analysis.

Don’t let the shop talk fool you.

Gary wrote:SOURCE#2 has on occasion hinted at contact between USG and "an extraterrestrial source." Who/what SOURCES provided that information?

Bogus ones. Clearly.

Gary wrote:Intelligence officials don't leak personal emails without an underlying agenda.

Keyword "personal".

Gary wrote:The question to ask is why did the SIO request that the messages be handed over to REALITY UNCOVERED, a forum that deals with the UFO subject?

Oh I don’t know, to see what would happen and because he knows RU is interested in getting to the bottom of all this BS?

Sheesh... how many times do you need it spelled out for you?

I’m sorry Gary but you're really starting to sound like a MK-ULTRA victim. Seriously.
Men go and come but Earth abides.
User avatar
Access Denied
1 of the RU3
 
Posts: 2740
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:32 am
Location: [redacted]

Postby ryguy » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:54 pm

haha...couldn't have responded any better AD....great post.

I'm not really sure what part of "the email exchange was unclassified" Gary doesn't appear to understand.

I'm further not really sure why Gary doesn't seem to comprehend that the SIO was questioning an individual about another matter entirely. He warned the individual that any UFO-related garbage he received would be bounced right back into the public domain where other UFO garbage ends up. Apparently Dan, Caryn and RU are considered the connoisseurs of such UFO garbage. I wonder if we should feel complimented or insulted?

Although I certainly admit being conceited enough to believe that he also knew we (RU) were not delusional enough to take the garbage and try to make it "real" - based on our previous handling of Rick Doty (& Colleague's) 2005 Garbage - called Serpo.

By the way - Rick and his associates have yet to provide SIO with a direct answer regarding how they obtained the name of a low-level DIA employee and subsequently used that stolen identity in their UFO scam.

His area of concern was how the identity was stolen...he requested no information about the UFO aspect. When he received a response with more UFO nonsense - he forwarded it on for analysis and distribution.

Actually - we've yet to distribute it....

-Ry
---
"Only a fool of a scientist would dismiss the evidence and reports in front of him and substitute his own beliefs in their place." - Paul Kurtz

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
User avatar
ryguy
1 of the RU3
 
Posts: 4920
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:49 am
Location: Another Dimension

Postby Shawnna » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:35 pm

ryguy wrote: Apparently Dan, Caryn and RU are considered the connoisseurs of such UFO garbage. I wonder if we should feel complimented or insulted?


Don't know how you or Zep feel but I'd feel insulted.


:toasttoyou:
"The only thing we found that makes the emptiness bearable is................... each other."

From the movie "Contact"

Shawnna's Reality
User avatar
Shawnna
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality
 
Posts: 1243
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:30 pm

Postby ryguy » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:25 pm

Shawnna wrote:
ryguy wrote: Apparently Dan, Caryn and RU are considered the connoisseurs of such UFO garbage. I wonder if we should feel complimented or insulted?


Don't know how you or Zep feel but I'd feel insulted.

:toasttoyou:


LOL... You should too....anyone who visits any of these forums and spends any of their time contemplating this stuff is unfortunately a connoisseur of UFO garbage as well. Some folks just admit that it's garbage a little more willingly than others. ;)

-Ry
---
"Only a fool of a scientist would dismiss the evidence and reports in front of him and substitute his own beliefs in their place." - Paul Kurtz

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
User avatar
ryguy
1 of the RU3
 
Posts: 4920
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:49 am
Location: Another Dimension

Postby lost_shaman » Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:44 pm

ryguy wrote:
LOL... You should too....anyone who visits any of these forums and spends any of their time contemplating this stuff is unfortunately a connoisseur of UFO garbage as well. Some folks just admit that it's garbage a little more willingly than others. ;)


Well Ryan remember that none of this FICTION about E.T.'s, like the whole Serpo nonsense, has anything what-so-ever to do with the UFO Phenomena. All that stuff is just FICTION, the UFO Phenomena (UAP) is not FICTION.
User avatar
lost_shaman
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality
 
Posts: 409
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:56 am

Postby Shawnna » Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:08 pm

lost_shaman wrote:
ryguy wrote:
LOL... You should too....anyone who visits any of these forums and spends any of their time contemplating this stuff is unfortunately a connoisseur of UFO garbage as well. Some folks just admit that it's garbage a little more willingly than others. ;)


Well Ryan remember that none of this FICTION about E.T.'s, like the whole Serpo nonsense, has anything what-so-ever to do with the UFO Phenomena. All that stuff is just FICTION, the UFO Phenomena (UAP) is not FICTION.


I agree with you LS - what's important to realize though is that there appears to be a small set of the "usual suspects" involved in the meme-making associated with all of this over the years.

:shock:

Obviously the "why" behind the meme-making is what I'm most interested in. It is unfortunate that anyone interested in any aspect of this seems to be lumped into the same pile more often than not.

:roll:
"The only thing we found that makes the emptiness bearable is................... each other."

From the movie "Contact"

Shawnna's Reality
User avatar
Shawnna
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality
 
Posts: 1243
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:30 pm

Postby ryguy » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:30 am

lost_shaman wrote:
Well Ryan remember that none of this FICTION about E.T.'s, like the whole Serpo nonsense, has anything what-so-ever to do with the UFO Phenomena. All that stuff is just FICTION, the UFO Phenomena (UAP) is not FICTION.


Absolutely - I couldn't agree more. The fact that we willingly follow the garbage (a.k.a. - the drama) is what I was referring to.

The UFO/UAP phenomenon is a much more interesting (and much more real) phenomenon. The garbage is certainly fiction - the phenomenon is not.

As to the motives behind the creation of the fiction...everyone has their own pet theory.

-Ry
---
"Only a fool of a scientist would dismiss the evidence and reports in front of him and substitute his own beliefs in their place." - Paul Kurtz

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
User avatar
ryguy
1 of the RU3
 
Posts: 4920
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:49 am
Location: Another Dimension

Postby lost_shaman » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:45 am

Shawnna wrote:I agree with you LS - what's important to realize though is that there appears to be a small set of the "usual suspects" involved in the meme-making associated with all of this over the years.

:shock:


Yes, of course that's true as well. I agree. The point I tend to make, that is possibly at odds with some opinions here, is that this "meme-making" has been taking place since July 1947.

The reason for that remains obscure (at least publically). What we do know is that the U.S. Military had already associated the 1947 'UFO' Flap with the 1946 Scandinavian 'Ghost Rockets', and the 'Foo Fighters' of WWII before Kenneth Arnold's infamous sighting. What's interesting is that the 'Foo Fighters' and the 'Ghost Rockets' garnered much attention, but when the 'Phenomena' migrated to the Continental U.S. suddenly no-one was interested. This became referred to as the 'Silence from Top-side'.



Shawnna wrote:Obviously the "why" behind the meme-making is what I'm most interested in.


Clearly this is a legitimate line of inquiry for anyone to pursue.



Shawnna wrote: It is unfortunate that anyone interested in any aspect of this seems to be lumped into the same pile more often than not.

:roll:


I'd agree here too. Everyone's referred to as either "Believer' or 'Skeptic' (in E.T. Visitation) and almost no-one ever discusses the observations people have made for hundreds of years all across the globe (UAP).
User avatar
lost_shaman
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality
 
Posts: 409
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:56 am

Postby lost_shaman » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:09 am

ryguy wrote:The UFO/UAP phenomenon is a much more interesting (and much more real) phenomenon. The garbage is certainly fiction - the phenomenon is not.



Then we're in total agreement. The real Phenomena people actually observe is much more interesting than the 'Drama' people inevitably create as Fiction! Not that I don't consider the 'Drama' interesting, but rather I consider the real Phenomena (UAP) to be one of the strangest and most interesting Phenomena in the Solar System!
User avatar
lost_shaman
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality
 
Posts: 409
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:56 am

Postby lost_shaman » Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:23 am

Gary wrote:
lost_shaman wrote:What does this have to do with the UFO Phenomena/UAP?


It is related to the UFO phenomena because:

Message SOURCE#1 and Message SOURCE#2 attended a meeting of the USG UFO Working Group, as confirmed by an audio recording of SOURCE#1.

SOURCE#2 has on occasion hinted at contact between USG and "an extraterrestrial source." Who/what SOURCES provided that information?


As far as I can tell, there never was a USG UFO Working Group! There was an Unofficial group who met several times that FAILED to get USG funding. That Group continued to talk and became the Aviary! It's not uncommon for a member or associate of the Aviary to 'talk' about E.T.'s! :roll:
User avatar
lost_shaman
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality
 
Posts: 409
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:56 am

Postby Gary » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:04 am

lost_shaman wrote:
Gary wrote:
lost_shaman wrote:What does this have to do with the UFO Phenomena/UAP?


It is related to the UFO phenomena because:

Message SOURCE#1 and Message SOURCE#2 attended a meeting of the USG UFO Working Group, as confirmed by an audio recording of SOURCE#1.

SOURCE#2 has on occasion hinted at contact between USG and "an extraterrestrial source." Who/what SOURCES provided that information?


As far as I can tell, there never was a USG UFO Working Group! There was an Unofficial group who met several times that FAILED to get USG funding. That Group continued to talk and became the Aviary! It's not uncommon for a member or associate of the Aviary to 'talk' about E.T.'s! :roll:


Gus Russo has seen the documents (from REAL X-Files):

What then of the so-called “Top Secret UFO Working Group” in which Tom, Jim and others participated in the 1980s? Fortunately, four participants in those gatherings have communicated with this writer, and one in particular shared original paperwork from the meetings with Caryn, who graciously shared them with me. Consequently, the following can be said of the Working Group story:

• The key meetings were held from May 20-25, 1985 in the secure facility of the BDM Corporation (a high clearance military contractor) in MacLean, VA.

• There were twenty known attendees (we have the names) representing Los Alamos Nuclear Labs, Army Intelligence, CIA, Lockheed, McDonnell Douglas, and various scientists with security clearances. Other unnamed guests such as Jim attended.

• The meeting was titled “Advanced Theoretical Physics Conference” and its main objective was to study odd radar tracings to determine their origins (“friendly” “enemy” or “unknown”). They turned out to be totally anomalous.


Author Howard Blum appears to have mixed together aspects of the then SECRET UFO-related paraphysics with the UFO group in his book.
Gary
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality
 
Posts: 845
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2007 1:28 am

Next

Google

Return to UFOs

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests

cron