Curious...

General UFO stories

Moderators: ryguy, chrLz, Zep Tepi

Curious...

Postby You Can Call Me Ray » Wed May 07, 2008 3:13 pm

Here at my work site in El Segundo, I sit in an area at the far back of our engineering building. In between my office area and the main engineering area and our labs is our model-building shop. I have to walk thru it every day. And over the last 2 months there has been an object in the shop they have been working on whose outer mold line looks VERY close to the "classic UFO" shape. (Hump in the middle with a clean blend to a thin edge all the way around this circular shape). I am prohibited from taking photos in-plant, but maybe I will stop and chat with some of the model techs and see if they can tell me what it is.

Anyone wish to start-up a conspiracy theory on this one? :lol:
Ray
The Universe is an Integrated System. Operational, Functional, and Physical.
You Can Call Me Ray
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Re: Curious...

Postby Inconceivable » Wed May 07, 2008 7:51 pm

Curious indeed. What company do you work for?
Ufology today is a minefield of con-artists, hoaxsters, disinformers, the disinformed, the gullible and even the mentally ill. But you have to admit, it's great entertainment!
Inconceivable

Postby You Can Call Me Ray » Wed May 07, 2008 8:43 pm

Northrop-Grumman Corp.
You Can Call Me Ray
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Postby Zep Tepi » Wed May 07, 2008 9:05 pm

My best guess based on the shape you describe, would be a next-generation Global Hawk UAV "thingy" . Either that or a super-fast solar powered racing car ;)

Cheers,
Steve
Zep Tepi
1 of the RU3

Postby Inconceivable » Wed May 07, 2008 11:17 pm

Didn't the air force do experiments in the '50s with a saucer prototype shape that was discovered to be inherently unstable? Of course, the one I saw pictures of were using conventional technology.
Ufology today is a minefield of con-artists, hoaxsters, disinformers, the disinformed, the gullible and even the mentally ill. But you have to admit, it's great entertainment!
Inconceivable

Postby torbjon » Thu May 08, 2008 3:45 am

*laughs*

it's just a widget... a part of thingy for a whatsit, ya know?

At least, that's the Official answer...

Query:

What kind of models do they Normally build in there? I mean, do they Normally build scale models of finished craft in there or do they sometimes model Components for stress test / wind tunnel etc. and whatever?

That info would help a lot
thanks
twj
Expendable Guy. The show is no good without them.
torbjon
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby You Can Call Me Ray » Thu May 08, 2008 4:34 am

Zep Tepi wrote:My best guess based on the shape you describe, would be a next-generation Global Hawk UAV "thingy" . Either that or a super-fast solar powered racing car ;)

Gotta be one or the other, huh? :) I didn't have time to chat with the techs today, but probably will have time tomorrow. Will keep y'all posted.

Ray
You Can Call Me Ray
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Postby You Can Call Me Ray » Thu May 08, 2008 4:37 am

Inconceivable wrote:Didn't the air force do experiments in the '50s with a saucer prototype shape that was discovered to be inherently unstable? Of course, the one I saw pictures of were using conventional technology.

Yes. And it really could not even fly very far out of ground effect. The stabilization issue from back then is not an issue today. Computers are more than fast enough to stabilize almost any vehicle, and if its force-producing devices (either motors that tilt the lift-producing fan, or vernier jets) are fast enough, I can stabilize almost anything with my "powerful math" of closed-loop dynamics. :mrgreen:

Ray
You Can Call Me Ray
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Postby You Can Call Me Ray » Thu May 08, 2008 4:43 am

torbjon wrote:*laughs*

it's just a widget... a part of thingy for a whatsit, ya know?

At least, that's the Official answer...

Can I call you Dr. Torb? I think you've got the jargon down! :wink:

torbjon wrote:Query:

What kind of models do they Normally build in there? I mean, do they Normally build scale models of finished craft in there or do they sometimes model Components for stress test / wind tunnel etc. and whatever?

That info would help a lot

Yes, exactly. All of the above. We have pole models of the B-2, F-18, F-35, and Global Hawk outside our building that were made in this shop. This shop also builds wind tunnel scale models and do a lot of stereolithography (which is VERY cool tech, BTW). The widget I am talking about is clearly made of wood, as part of it is cut-away (a pie-wedge shape cutaway, if you will) and I can see the wood frame interior...and it looks like the center cavity is big enough to hold a person... but no "guts" or instruments inside. Clearly only a model...but for what purpose?

Ray
You Can Call Me Ray
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Postby torbjon » Thu May 08, 2008 4:57 am

wow, that big, huh? Here I was thinking less than a meter in diameter...

Roughly how big of a model are we talking about here? Five meter diameter? Ten? Just trying to grasp the scale of the thing... I'd ask for a sketch but they'd lock you up for that, huh? Kind of surprised to see you even chatting about work, to be honest.

Here's a dunderheaded question but you never can tell:

Your company is known for aviation stuff...

Ever work on nautical stuff? Air and water are basically the same medium, just different densities, yes?

It might not fly but I'm willing to bet the thing will sink... funny as all 'ell but no joke intended.

twj
Expendable Guy. The show is no good without them.
torbjon
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby You Can Call Me Ray » Thu May 08, 2008 5:32 am

torbjon wrote:Roughly how big of a model are we talking about here? Five meter diameter? Ten? Just trying to grasp the scale of the thing... I'd ask for a sketch but they'd lock you up for that, huh? Kind of surprised to see you even chatting about work, to be honest.

Probably somewhere in the 8-10 meter diameter range.

Not a big deal for me to talk about this, really. This model shop is a fully unclassified area. We have plenty of areas where classified work goes on...and I work in one of them sometimes. THAT is the stuff you won't hear me discussing. But the rule is "no photos permitted to be taken anywhere in the plant." Just sensible security, for our customers and for our own Intellectual Property sake.

Here's a dunderheaded question but you never can tell:

Your company is known for aviation stuff...

Ever work on nautical stuff? Air and water are basically the same medium, just different densities, yes?

Not at all dunderheaded question. In fact, we have a water tunnel in the Cal Poly Aero department that we often use to teach students about Reynolds Number and how you can test aerodynamics of very low airspeed vehicles in a water tunnel better than you can in a wind tunnel. So your principle is right on. However, Northrop-Grumman also has a big shipbuilding sector, which my sector has nothing to do with. So I would doubt it has anything to do with watercraft. But like I say, I will query the techs. If they tell me they can't tell me then you won't hear anything more from me. But if they tell me what it is for, I'll let ya know.

But right now my Lakers are kickin some Utah Jazz butt...so my team needs my attention ! :)
Ray
You Can Call Me Ray
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Postby Access Denied » Thu May 08, 2008 6:09 am

Inconceivable wrote:Didn't the air force do experiments in the '50s with a saucer prototype shape that was discovered to be inherently unstable? Of course, the one I saw pictures of were using conventional technology.

If God had interned saucers (and pigs) to fly he would have given them wings...

...of course the Nighthawk (RIP) is inherently unstable too.

Define conventional technology?

If it was a good idea everybody would be doing it... and besides, flying suacers were invented by the press in 1947.
Men go and come but Earth abides.
Access Denied
1 of the RU3

Postby Chorlton » Thu May 08, 2008 8:01 am

Many years ago I bought a new GRP boat. At the back of the moulding shop was a curiously shaped object. It was about 15 Ft tall and about 40-odd Ft wide. When I asked the foreman at the factory he said is was a saucer shaped house made in GRP for the Boss's piece of land in France. It was your classic round, domed saucer shape.
Ive often thought about it.
I have become that which I always despised and feared........Old !

My greatest wish, would be to own my own scrapyard.
Chorlton
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Postby You Can Call Me Ray » Thu May 08, 2008 8:24 pm

And the answer is...

It is a model for RADAR range testing for low-observable shapes. What some may (or may not) know is that any sort of sharp edge or seam on an outer mold line of an air vehicle greatly increases its RADAR cross section. So we are always testing shapes to examine the tradeoff of aerodynamic performance vs. RCS performance.

Mystery solved! (Although I am sure there must be some "true believers" out there who think I am a disinfo agent for "da man"). :roll:

Ray
You Can Call Me Ray
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Postby Inconceivable » Thu May 08, 2008 10:30 pm

Yes. That's what they WANT you to believe.

But did they mention anything about the secret underground base below your complex where they keep the real saucers? Of course not! See?

:wink:
Inconceivable

Next

Google

Return to UFOs