The Invasion from Outer Space

General UFO stories

Moderators: ryguy, chrLz, Zep Tepi

The Invasion from Outer Space

Postby Access Denied » Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:51 pm

From the beginning we were prepared, we knew just what to do, for hadn’t we seen it all a hundred times?—the good people of the town going about their business, the suddenly interrupted TV programs, the faces in the crowd looking up, the little girl pointing in the air, the mouths opening, the dog yapping, the traffic stopped, the shopping bag falling to the sidewalk, and there, in the sky, coming closer . . . And so, when it finally happened, because it was bound to happen, we all knew it was only a matter of time, we felt, in the midst of our curiosity and terror, a certain calm, the calm of familiarity, we knew what was expected of us, at such a moment.

Or do we?
Men go and come but Earth abides.
Access Denied
1 of the RU3

Re: The Invasion from Outer Space

Postby lost_shaman » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:07 am

Interesting fiction AD, that's about all I can say about it.

Certainly not constructed based on any scientific foundation for such a story.
lost_shaman
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby ryguy » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:23 pm

Access Denied wrote:
From the beginning we were prepared, we knew just what to do, for hadn’t we seen it all a hundred times?—the good people of the town going about their business, the suddenly interrupted TV programs, the faces in the crowd looking up, the little girl pointing in the air, the mouths opening, the dog yapping, the traffic stopped, the shopping bag falling to the sidewalk, and there, in the sky, coming closer . . . And so, when it finally happened, because it was bound to happen, we all knew it was only a matter of time, we felt, in the midst of our curiosity and terror, a certain calm, the calm of familiarity, we knew what was expected of us, at such a moment.

Or do we?

In my version of the fiction...I'd envision something akin to a final acceptance of a reality that people have been struggling to ignore for so long, as it gets placed smack dab in the center of their tidy little view of the world. Little League baseball each summer, company outings, and summer at the lake. Ghosts, invisible beings, strange crafts or lights in the sky...these things "aren't real." Ahh...but what does that comfortable world become when those things become "real." What then?

There's no such thing....there's no such thing....there's no such thing....

We tell children when they cry about the boogeyman in the closet that there's no such things as ghosts, or there's no such thing as aliens. We teach our children to ignore the shadow that lurks and moves in the corner...and as we get older, that ability to "ignore" that which scares us improves. I'm blown away as I watch local homes that are haunted come up for sale every 6 to 12 months. People would rather run away and hand over the problem to someone else, and continue on with their comfortable and predictable lives, than accept that there are invisible things around us that we've yet to fully understand.

I don't think Science has failed us - but I do think people are having a hard time wiping away the "happenings" and just ignore it. Science must work more quickly to figure out what this new "gravity" is...before people revert back to the days of "magic," or "magik," shamanistic ceremonies with candles and incense, and a terrible hybrid belief structure between "science" and "spirituality" that we already see taking shape in modern new age cult religions - see the current metaphysical discussions of today as good examples of this - places where "alien" propulsion systems are reverse engineered by theoretical physicists, convinced they are the next "Einstein," with science that doesn't even exist yet. They attract large crowds of new age cult followers - by their nature they are the priests of modern society's search for answers.

The Greeks discovered the earth was round, Newton discovered the force of Gravity, and Copernicus discovered the earth revolves around the Sun...is that all?

"Of all discoveries and opinions, none may have exerted a greater effect on the human spirit than the doctrine of Copernicus. The world had scarcely become known as round and complete in itself when it was asked to waive the tremendous privilege of being the center of the universe. Never, perhaps, was a greater demand made on mankind - for by this admission so many things vanished in mist and smoke! What became of our Eden, our world of innocence, piety and poetry; the testimony of the senses; the conviction of a poetic - religious faith? No wonder his contemporaries did not wish to let all this go and offered every possible resistance to a doctrine which in its converts authorized and demanded a freedom of view and greatness of thought so far unknown, indeed not even dreamed of."
-Goethe.

I do sincerely believe that there remain forces of nature that are unknown by humanity, virtually undetected by our senses, yet exist around us in locations and "hot spots" determined by the normal natural environment around us. I believe one day, one of us will finally reveal this mystery as well, with legitimate science - just as other seemingly mystical mysteries have also been solved. Will it completely change our world view? Probably. Will it bring the world to a catastrophic end? Doubt it.

-Ry
---
"Only a fool of a scientist would dismiss the evidence and reports in front of him and substitute his own beliefs in their place." - Paul Kurtz

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
ryguy
1 of the RU3

Postby mavn » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:30 am

yes, and if there truly is extra-terrestial life then perhaps they use these mysterious hot spots (of enery?) to their advantage and to power their ships. At any rate, if in reality there is a mass invasion from outer space at least we will all be in the same boat (without a paddle)!
mavn
In Search of Reality
In Search of Reality

Postby You Can Call Me Ray » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:24 am

mavn wrote: At any rate, if in reality there is a mass invasion from outer space at least we will all be in the same boat (without a paddle)!

Given the corruption and self-serving intentions of all governments on our planet, that may well be a boat that our entire planet needs to be in right now, paddle or not. I don't know about you, but I am praying for some kind, any kind, of external intervention to shake the living daylights out of ALL of us. Too much "stupid and greedy" have been allowed to run rampant for too long. Time to hit the RESET button again...

Bring it on, I say.
Ray
The Universe is an Integrated System. Operational, Functional, and Physical.
You Can Call Me Ray
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Postby ryguy » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:59 pm

Again?
---
"Only a fool of a scientist would dismiss the evidence and reports in front of him and substitute his own beliefs in their place." - Paul Kurtz

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
ryguy
1 of the RU3

Postby You Can Call Me Ray » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:15 pm

ryguy wrote:Again?

You know what they say... those who have not learned from history are due to repeat it. ;)

One of the more useful lessons I learned from my short dabblings in mystical societies was to actually face death on a daily basis... make death your friend, as it were....seeks its counsel. The worst thing one can do is be afraid of death. Many people confuse the natural fear of a "violent" (painful) death with the general fear of death itself. Given no one can escape physical death, then why not be at peace with it? I am always ready to die. I welcome it with open arms. Sounds a bit morbid, I know. And don't get the wrong idea, as it is NOT saying "I want to die". Only being at peace with the idea and not looking at it as a terrible thing. It can actually be a very powerful means to help you identify priorities in life.

Ray
You Can Call Me Ray
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Postby ryguy » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:22 pm

Right..no I was just curious what the last pressing of the RESET button was that you were referring to...

What specific history are you talking about?
---

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
ryguy
1 of the RU3

Postby You Can Call Me Ray » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:14 pm

ryguy wrote:Right..no I was just curious what the last pressing of the RESET button was that you were referring to...

What specific history are you talking about?

Oh...well, take your pick. Noah's flood, Sodom and Gomorrah, Atlantis, the giant "dinosaur asteroid". Some with more veridical proof than others. But all, allegedly, from an "external" source....whether that source was sentient or not....well therein lies the rub, eh? :)

Ray
You Can Call Me Ray
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Postby Access Denied » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:30 am

Wow, not exactly the discussion I had in mind but I guess that’s what I get for making such an open-ended post…

LS, my point exactly.

Ryan, what’s this “struggle” you speak of?

Mavn, WTF?

Ray, no one will ever accuse you of being an optimist.

Tom
tryingreallyhardnottouseanyemoticons
Access Denied
1 of the RU3

Postby mavn » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:54 am

Well, I agree with Ray in that history does repeat itself if we human beings don't learn our lessons. So if we really want to know what our future will hold then perhaps we should just look to the past to see what gigantic mistakes were made. Then figure out whether or not we have learned from that experience or are just repeating the same pattern. If we have determined that we are repeating the same pattern then it would seem to me if there are extra-terrestials they know this already since they have probably been around longer than us and perhaps are just trying to save us from ourselves.
mavn
In Search of Reality
In Search of Reality

Postby Access Denied » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:51 am

Ah, I see. Too much wishful thinking involved for my taste… I imagine the dinosaurs probably thought the same thing. As depressing as it may sound, this is something I believe we all would do well to consider…

The Great Filter
http://hanson.gmu.edu/greatfilter.html

Humanity seems to have a bright future, i.e., a non-trivial chance of expanding to fill the universe with lasting life. But the fact that space near us seems dead now tells us that any given piece of dead matter faces an astronomically low chance of begating such a future. There thus exists a great filter between death and expanding lasting life, and humanity faces the ominous question: how far along this filter are we?

Combining standard stories of biologists, astronomers, physicists, and social scientists would lead us to expect a much smaller filter than we observe. Thus one of these stories must be wrong. To find out who is wrong, and to inform our choices, we should study and reconsider all these areas. For example, we should seek evidence of extraterrestrials, such as via signals, fossils, or astronomy. But contrary to common expectations, evidence of extraterrestrials is likely bad (though valuable) news. The easier it was for life to evolve to our stage, the bleaker our future chances probably are.

Of particular relevance I think to the discussion at hand...

...we must be wary of the "God of the Gaps" phenomena, where miracles are attributed to whatever we don't understand. Contrary to the famous drunk looking for his keys under the lamppost, here we are tempted to conclude that the keys must lie in whatever dark corners we have not searched, rather than face the unpleasant conclusion that the keys may be forever lost.

In other words, it may be wise(r) to be careful what we wish for.

See also…

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_of_the_gaps
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_filter
Access Denied
1 of the RU3

Postby ryguy » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:53 pm

Hey AD -

Access Denied wrote:Ryan, what’s this “struggle” you speak of?

Oh...nothing significant, it's just when I see people experiencing odd phenomenon and they pretend it doesn't exist. A lot of people out there seem to learn to "filter out" things that are out of the ordinary so that they can go on living a "normal" daily life. I know what you're thinking - that I might have been referring to the effort to debunk paranormal explanations...that's not it - in my mind, the effort to debunk or explain, alone, is at least acknowledging the unknown phenomenon and seeking to explain it. It's the people who just ignore it...that really blows my mind. "Maybe if I just ignore it..it isn't real..." lol

-Ry
---

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
ryguy
1 of the RU3

Postby mavn » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:17 am

Remember what Bill Clinton used to say "If you think you saw a flying saucer then you probably saw a flying saucer". I always laugh when I think of that however I have to wonder if he actually knew something that the rest of us weren't being included on. And although I have a social science degree I personally think there is too much gap in the God of the Gaps theory. (i.e. the origin of energy?)
mavn
In Search of Reality
In Search of Reality

Postby Access Denied » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:34 am

mavn wrote:Remember what Bill Clinton used to say "If you think you saw a flying saucer then you probably saw a flying saucer".

What is your source for that quote?

mavn wrote:I always laugh when I think of that however I have to wonder if he actually knew something that the rest of us weren't being included on.

Why, because he jokes about it?

mavn wrote:And although I have a social science degree I personally think there is too much gap in the God of the Gaps theory. (i.e. the origin of energy?)

Well, I’m not sure what you mean by that but all evidence to date suggests the net (total) energy of the Universe is zero… as crazy as that may sound this is compatible with the theory that the Universe was “created” from nothing.
Access Denied
1 of the RU3

Next

Google

Return to UFOs