The Invasion from Outer Space

General UFO stories

Moderators: ryguy, chrLz, Zep Tepi

Re: The Invasion from Outer Space

Postby ryguy » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:58 pm

Access Denied wrote:Finally saw the remake of The Day the Earth Stood Still last week… my wife got mad at me because as usual I couldn’t help pointing out the insultingly stupid movie physics and ruined it for her…

We are way too much alike...LOL

Of course that just takes us right back to the Fermi Paradox… if it could be done odds are it already would have.

Unless…

Nah.

Don't avoid exploring that possibility...it's a creative one and much more probable and possible than about 99% of most existing ETH proposals that are out there...

-Ry
---
"Only a fool of a scientist would dismiss the evidence and reports in front of him and substitute his own beliefs in their place." - Paul Kurtz

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
ryguy
1 of the RU3

Postby lost_shaman » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:33 am

longhaircowboy wrote:Here's a little something I thought l_s might be interested in.
But a Type III civilization would likely not be inclined to visit us or conquer us,
as in the movie Independence Day, where such a civilization spreads like a plague of locusts,
swarming around planets to suck their resources dry. In reality, there are countless dead
planets in outer space with vast mineral wealth they could harvest without the nuisance of
coping with a restive native population. Their attitude toward us might resemble our own
attitude toward an ant hill. Our inclination is not to bend down and offer the ants beads
and trinkets, but simply to ignore them.

Thats from Michio Kakus Physics of the Impossible(2008) in the chapter titled Extraterretrials and UFOS(p. 147).

You're right, LHC. I've heard Michio Kaku discuss that before and I agree with it as far as hypothetical Civilizations are concerned.

One thing I sometimes 'day-dream' of is the super-vast un-told amount of natural resources to be found and exploited in the Asteroid Belt alone!!! I think of this type of exploration and (responsible) exploitation as being a natural logical result of the use of Alternative Energy, that being access to Alternative Resources. Think about it, for example, if we just technologically and logistically figure out how to exploit the Suns Energy then we already know the Sun provides more energy than we'll ever need to do things like start to harvest the resources of the Asteroid Belt.

That would be a big step towards a Type I Civilization that is likely within 'our' reach as a species if we don't foul-up and stiffle economic and technological progress.

As you alluded to LHC, I would think that if 'we' modern Humans came across the extraterestrial eqivalent to an 'Ant hill' I think we'd study it from a distance and not 'poison' the 'Ant hill' just to look around for natural resources to exploit. As you pointed out, there should be exponetially more natural resources in the Universe than any potential Civilizations could ever possibly concieve of exploiting.
lost_shaman
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby longhaircowboy » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:50 pm

After I got done reading chapter 6 Alien Attack in the book Death From the Skies(2008) by Philip Plait I realized that his initial invasion scenario(robotic arachnids scouring the cosmos) was just more homo-centric thinking. Towards the end of the chapter he comes right out and states that without aggression a society will never advance technologicaly. He says the first man to wield a club was the one who advanced and the first to use a gun bettered the one with a sword, etc. So its clear to see that some scientists still follow the homo-centric view which could be why we still haven't found stellar life. They're looking for rockets when they should be looking for something less sinister. I say look up in the sky and see rainbows not destruction.
Save a horse, ride a cowboy.

Memory...is an internal rumor.
George Santayana
longhaircowboy
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby Nemo » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:12 am

You Can Call Me Ray wrote:
mavn wrote: At any rate, if in reality there is a mass invasion from outer space at least we will all be in the same boat (without a paddle)!

Given the corruption and self-serving intentions of all governments on our planet, that may well be a boat that our entire planet needs to be in right now, paddle or not. I don't know about you, but I am praying for some kind, any kind, of external intervention to shake the living daylights out of ALL of us. Too much "stupid and greedy" have been allowed to run rampant for too long. Time to hit the RESET button again...

Bring it on, I say.
Ray

I'm pretty sure that whatever they would turn out to be.....they probably won't be big Limbaugh or O'Reilly fans or interstellar Republicans (or Democrats.....relax.....it's cool). Limbaugh won't be seen by them as the smartest or most insightful human (if he is, I will be in for the biggest shock of my life). They may not have the same definitions of greed and failure that you do. They may not be very "political" at all, if that can be "evolved" out of existence. I hope so.

Since they apparently were wise enough to survive their planet's population explosion when they became the dominant technological species and didn't destroy themselves through war, nuclear weapons, etc, I would imagine that they would be, in their way, egalitarian, cooperative and have the ability to change their actions to avoid future negative consequences. They should also have some appreciation of the importance of a balanced, healthy, and sustainable environment. Hopefully they are not just the most advanced, smartest, or efficient predator on their planet. That's how we got our start and we don't seem to be evolving socially as fast as we should to be a sustainable species on our own planet. As I see it, the MANY dillemas we now face are evolutionary tests that all intelligent species eventually face. The ones that succeed and become truly civilized can live on and later do interstellar travel, which they probably eventually have to do to outlive their sun. The ones that don't just die out or commit non-consensual suicide.

Then again, they could be so radically different from us by their different evolution or so advanced that we could be in for some huge surprises and an inability to understand or accept them, or they, us. So, off to the salt mines of Rigel 7 we go.
Nemo
In Search of Reality
In Search of Reality

Previous

Google

Return to UFOs