Just observed a very low and slow Triangle.

General UFO stories

Moderators: ryguy, chrLz, Zep Tepi

Just observed a very low and slow Triangle.

Postby lost_shaman » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:11 am

I just was outside and noticed an object moving at roughly 90 degrees directly above me. It was very odd in that I haven't ever seen anything with this light formation or apparently moving so slowly. It had two small steady lights in the front separated slightly and two slightly brighter lights in the rear that all four together formed a triangle in the direction of motion and one strobe light slightly forward of center between them. It appeared to be fairly low in that it was as large as my thumb nail at arms length. Very slow as well, I actually got bored watching it as moved away slowly towards the horizon.

This was an odd observation but it wasn't Aliens, it was definitely an aircraft as I could distinctly make out the sound of Jet engines. These were not loud engines the engine noise was very quite and I didn't even hear it until just after I noticed the aircraft passing over my 90.

I suspect that this aircraft, whatever it is, will generate "sightings" in the near future that some people might compare to or say that it resembles the pictures associated with the Belgian Triangle sightings of the early '90's.

So I just wanted to give a heads up to everyone that an odd aircraft w/ odd lights is operating in the North Texas area traveling roughly W or WNW that based on my observation should likely generate some "Triangle" sightings. I think I've seen this aircraft once before on the same flight path about 2 years ago, but at that time I only got a short glimpse compared to this observation on account of clouds.
lost_shaman
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Re: Just observed a very low and slow Triangle.

Postby mavn » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:21 pm

This seems definitely unusual since normal aircraft doesn't have the ability to move so slowly. The History Channel evidently will have a special on Big UFO Triangles specifically sighted in the Sierra Nevada and Texas areas on March 18th. You might want to watch that show LS to see if what you observed looks similar.
mavn
In Search of Reality
In Search of Reality

Postby You Can Call Me Ray » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:08 pm

mavn wrote:This seems definitely unusual since normal aircraft doesn't have the ability to move so slowly.

Define "normal" and quantify "slowly". Being an aerospace engineer and instructor of same, let me just point out that people often think they are "up" on all the technology we have available. But sometimes even the simpler technology is not considered. For example: You realize that airships can fly quite slowly? And now I would bet you will refer to LS's claim that he heard a jet engine. Well, airships still need thrust to overcome drag, and no one made a rule that you cannot use jet engines on airships. In fact, when it comes to control responsiveness there a benefits that newer, small core jet engines would have on such a vehicle over the standard propellor powerplants.
Given a requirement to loiter in a small area (a very popular requirement given the explosion in surveillance needs to combat terrorism) there are many different tools we can bring to bear to meet such a requirement. And while many solutions are offered based on mini and micro air vehicles that use conventional wings or ducted fans, the biggest problem is always having sufficient space and weight to install sensors to perform suveillance. An airship solves these two problems in spades because the lift is handled by the lighter-than-air gas, and the fact that you need a large volume of such gas to achieve the lift provides plenty of space to hang sensors off of it or install them internal to a pod carried on the underside.

Oh yes, and one more thing: Airships do not have to be ellipsoid shaped. Early ones were made that way for ease of pressure loads analysis and to minimize form drag. Jet engines provide sufficient power that drag need not be a big worry, and structural engineering computer programs allow analysis of very odd shapes for loads analysis.

But I am with LS... what he saw is most certainly terrestrial. In fact, I have a sneaking suspicion I might know a few of the people behind it. One who I went to school with and is now a PhD in the general area. :wink:

Ray
The Universe is an Integrated System. Operational, Functional, and Physical.
You Can Call Me Ray
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Postby mavn » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:21 pm

You're probably right Ray since I am not an aero-space engineer. Who would have known a jet propelled aircraft of any kind could move so slowly - fascinating.
mavn
In Search of Reality
In Search of Reality

Postby longhaircowboy » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:38 pm

Hey LS that sounds like the one I saw a couple of years ago cept mine made no noise. Yeah it could be an airship of some sort as they come in all sorts of configurations. Just look at the one in the recent PM article on Stevensville.
Save a horse, ride a cowboy.

Memory...is an internal rumor.
George Santayana
longhaircowboy
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby Access Denied » Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:47 am

I'd be wary of the "stealth blimp" hypothesis...

lost_shaman wrote:It had two small steady lights in the front separated slightly and two slightly brighter lights in the rear that all four together formed a triangle in the direction of motion and one strobe light slightly forward of center between them.

So you’re basing the shape on the light configuration alone correct?

lost_shaman wrote:It appeared to be fairly low in that it was as large as my thumb nail at arms length. Very slow as well, I actually got bored watching it as moved away slowly towards the horizon.

How long would you say your sighting lasted?

lost_shaman wrote:I suspect that this aircraft, whatever it is, will generate "sightings" in the near future that some people might compare to or say that it resembles the pictures associated with the Belgian Triangle sightings of the early '90's.

Pictures? I thought there’s only one of which there are two versions… the grainy “motion blurred” version that’s a photo taken of the actual photo being shown on a TV documentary (think low-tech screen capture) that most UFO sites show and the actual photo which is clearer and appears to be hoax.

[above example from Dolan's website, rotated 180° relative to original below]

[looks to me like out of focus LEDs (?) behind something with a hole cut out in it]

lost_shaman wrote:So I just wanted to give a heads up to everyone that an odd aircraft w/ odd lights is operating in the North Texas area traveling roughly W or WNW that based on my observation should likely generate some "Triangle" sightings.

Cool… kudos to you for taking a proactive approach.
Men go and come but Earth abides.
Access Denied
1 of the RU3

Postby lost_shaman » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:23 pm

Access Denied wrote:So you’re basing the shape on the light configuration alone correct?

Correct. All I could see was the light configuration.

Access Denied wrote:How long would you say your sighting lasted?

It was a good 4-5 min. and it was still visible heading off toward the horizon when I came in and posted this thread.

Access Denied wrote:Pictures? I thought there’s only one of which there are two versions… the grainy “motion blurred” version that’s a photo taken of the actual photo being shown on a TV documentary (think low-tech screen capture) that most UFO sites show and the actual photo which is clearer and appears to be hoax.

Distinctly different than those pictures, but a very similar basic configuration of the lights. If someone were to report this as a UFO then I'd imagine they might compare it to some of these other 'Triangle' sightings.

Access Denied wrote:Cool… kudos to you for taking a proactive approach.

Thanks.
lost_shaman
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby lost_shaman » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:31 pm

longhaircowboy wrote:Hey LS that sounds like the one I saw a couple of years ago cept mine made no noise.

I suspect that if it had been higher up, or if the wind had been blowing that I might not have heard anything. It was fairly quite jet engine noise compared to what one might expect to hear.
lost_shaman
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby longhaircowboy » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:50 pm

The one I saw seemed to be quite close to me. Maybe 100 feet up at the most. As I reported on ATS it was extremely low to ground and utterly quiet. The light configuration was like yours and I could make out the triangular shape of something dark. Hopefully if youo see it again you can get a pic.
Save a horse, ride a cowboy.

Memory...is an internal rumor.
George Santayana
longhaircowboy
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Google

Return to UFOs