Who sees UFOs

General UFO stories

Moderators: ryguy, chrLz, Zep Tepi

Who sees UFOs

Postby longhaircowboy » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:04 pm

It's a topic I've often pondered and a friend recently brought it up to me(me being the only UFO investigator he knows). In America it seems a disproportionate number of sightings are reported by caucasians. Likewise of course in Mexico it would be hispanics and in Africa it would be blacks. His question was if I knew of any reports by african-americans and the only one I could think of was the Hill event. And when you bring in CE events it invariably is some lone white person out in the middle of nowhere. There are variables to that(see Walton or Pasquagula) and abductions also seem to target whites. Is this in itself an anomalie?
Just thinkin out loud here.
Save a horse, ride a cowboy.

Memory...is an internal rumor.
George Santayana
longhaircowboy
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Re: Who sees UFOs

Postby lost_shaman » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:45 am

longhaircowboy wrote: In America it seems a disproportionate number of sightings are reported by caucasians. Likewise of course in Mexico it would be hispanics and in Africa it would be blacks.

As you point out LHC, it's all about geography. And maybe to a lesser degree lifestyle/culture. In the U.S. for instance most of the population now live in urban areas where light polution and a clustering of large buildings prohibit viewing night skies. For whatever reason UAP are rarely reported within urban areas themselves. Rural areas where most UAP reports originate tend to be mostly populated by caucasions and hispanics, who in-turn would have much better views of night skies and the horizons. Rural populations would therefore also be more likely to view night skies either inadvertantly and/or purposefully viewing the night sky.

Assuming that is true it makes sense then that not all ethnic groups report UAP equally within any given geographic area or country where ethnic groups are not represented equally in those Rural areas. Lifestyle, occupation, and culture may play a role to a smaller degree. Some people may just be more likely to spend time outside and observing the skies than others.

longhaircowboy wrote: His question was if I knew of any reports by african-americans and the only one I could think of was the Hill event. And when you bring in CE events it invariably is some lone white person out in the middle of nowhere. There are variables to that(see Walton or Pasquagula) and abductions also seem to target whites. Is this in itself an anomalie?
Just thinkin out loud here.

Continuing my thoughts above the CE events are almost exclusively rural. Ergo, in the U.S. this would primarily mean whites and hispanics.

As for "abductions", I believe these are adequetly explained by sleep paralysis (Susan Clancy - Harvard 2005)certain ethnicities may be more prone to sleep paralysis than others just as other disorders are disproportionately represented within different ethnicities.
lost_shaman
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby longhaircowboy » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:57 pm

Very well put l_s. I had considered the rural area factor but since my friend wanted actual accounts of sightings by African-Americans I was at a loss.
I have been a proponent of the sleep paralysis theory for abductions. There's just too much evidence pointing to it and not enough for any other theory.

George Santayana
longhaircowboy
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby lost_shaman » Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:19 pm

longhaircowboy wrote:Very well put l_s. I had considered the rural area factor but since my friend wanted actual accounts of sightings by African-Americans I was at a loss.

I'm positive that many African-Americans do indeed report sightings, the thing is most people don't point out thier ethnicity when reporting. It's typically just not relevent.
lost_shaman
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby longhaircowboy » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:42 pm

lost_shaman wrote:
It's typically just not relevent.

I've been thinkin on this statement. So I ask what if it were?
What if there is some connection to the ethnicity of the observer and the type of experience?
Further what if the observers ethnicity actually plays a part in whether they see anything at all?
My thinking is that the rural factor comes into play because folks may be more inclined to observe their surroundings whereas in cities people tend to "keep their heads down" as it were.
Could this behavior play a part in the accumulated data that is UFO reports?

George Santayana
longhaircowboy
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby lost_shaman » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:41 am

longhaircowboy wrote:I've been thinkin on this statement. So I ask what if it were?

Hey LHC,

How could it be when the Phenomena is global?

longhaircowboy wrote:What if there is some connection to the ethnicity of the observer and the type of experience?

I alluded to that when I discussed Sleep Paralysis.

longhaircowboy wrote:Further what if the observers ethnicity actually plays a part in whether they see anything at all?

Basically all modern humans alive today are genetically speaking 99.98 % related which basically means we are less ethnically diverse than just about any other living Mammal species on Earth. Take that into consideration with the fact that the Phenomena is Global in nature and it is clear that ethnicity plays no role in observation of atmospheric phenomena.

longhaircowboy wrote:My thinking is that the rural factor comes into play because folks may be more inclined to observe their surroundings whereas in cities people tend to "keep their heads down" as it were.
Could this behavior play a part in the accumulated data that is UFO reports?

Yes! Certainly! That was part of what I was attempting to explain in my previous post. There I was only talking about the Continental 48 just as a general example. Remembering that despite the nature of the Global Phenomena the U.S. tends to be the Region people focus upon arbitrarily since 1947 which is itself an arbitrary date.
lost_shaman
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby longhaircowboy » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:51 pm

Yeah I get all that l_s but I think there may be something to my above questions. So since it's a slow time right now for me(I have no new local cases to work on and I've finished my report on the Boshkung Lake affair and my KYW photo research is on hold) I think I'm gonna put it to the test. I intend to see if there isn't a ethnic side to the UFO phenomena. You may think this ridiculous but it seems a reasonable thing to ask. Of course feel free to throw in your 2 cents l_s as your contributions are always welcome.
Off we go into the wild blue yonder.

George Santayana
longhaircowboy
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby longhaircowboy » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:39 pm

Ok here's what I came up with.
Even when I checked sightings in different countries irt appears that there is a rural factor there too. It also seems that there is some what of a cultural factor. And it seems that others are perplexed by this as well.
http://www.topix.com/forum/afam/TRH0H1F9593J3LO10
Why do white people only see aliens and Ufos? In most European nations I've heard of aliens being spotted and abductions taking place and even here in N.America mostly white people seem to spot these elusive beings.
I've never heard of a black man/woman on tv claiming they were abducted or saw a UFO. Even in Africa back
home I've never heard anything of the sort. Is this just a strange coincidence or are aliens "racist" too?

This question was posed by an Afrikaner.

http://www.ufoevidence.org/Cases/CaseSu ... asp?ID=131
Tonight at 8.30 SA time we were treated to the rare spectacle of a half a dozen CHILDREN AGED 8-12 attesting ON tv to the fact that a group of them had seen a group of four or five UFOs. Sentients with large eyes, long black hair wearing shiny black one piece suits had made themselves known. The ships had then departed.

Note the description of the entity. The difference could be the culture factor. After all these were Africans.

http://www.geocities.com/saufor/unsorte ... einet.html
On the 27th December 1998 at about 3pm , the Laubscher family observed between 8 to 10 objects moving
rapidly in a Northernly direction over Graaf-Reinet , a small town situated in the well known Karroo and some
260km NNW of Port Elizabeth .
The size of these objects was judged to be roughly 4 to 5 times that of a boeing at the same altitude .

http://www.ufoevidence.org/Cases/case127.htm
The little man was dressed in a tight-fitting black suit which was 'shiny' according to one observant girl (11 years of age). He had a long scrawny neck and huge eyes like rugby balls. He had a pale face with long black hair coming below his shoulders.
The children vary in cultures: there are black, white, coloured and Asian children.

But they were all African. And their description matches the above account.
So next I checked China.
In China there called fei-die, or flying dishes.
http://www.allnewsweb.com/page6616613.php
A Mrs Zhou saw the UFOs as she stood on her balcony; she said two of the three shot off while one remained for a while before leaving. ‘I have no idea what they were. The last one was emitting the strangest violet light which was very bright’. A Mr Yip also saw the UFOs and noticed that at least one of the craft was also emitting a blue flame from its underside. No photos have emerged yet of the incident (All News Web will post links when they do).

http://www.rense.com/general65/cchin.htm
Huang Yanqiu, a 49-year-old farmer from Beigao village in north China's Hebei province, recalls his one and only encounter with extraterrestrials in 1977.
He woke up in the middle of the night and found himself in front of two men who looked and spoke like ordinary humans.
But they had special powers, taking him on a nightly flight on their backs to all corners of China, from Heilongjiang province in the north to Fujian province in the southeast. Eventually, they carried him to Tiananmen Square.

http://shanghaiscrap.com/?p=854
The last visit of a UFO to the Jiangsu city occurred at about 5pm on January 10, 2006 when an orange V-shaped UFO with a long tail was seen near the northern side of the Purple Mountain and over the city’s Jiangning and Jiangpu districts, said Wang.

http://www.ufoevidence.org/documents/doc898.htm
On July 26, 1977, a single event blazed across the skies of several provinces.

This was the famous and widely-documented "sky spiral" or "dragon," which (like a nearly identical apparition on July 24, 1981) took the form of a spinning white spiral gliding through the sky soon after sunset.

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/vi ... p?id=50832
Dragon-shaped object sighted over China Posted on Wednesday, 14 September, 2005 | 9:01 | Comments: 30 Category: The UFO Phenomenon At about 6 p.m. on August 6, two students walked out of their library in Jilin University and looked up. “Look! A flying dragon appears in the sky!” A student named Li captured an image of the dragon on his picture-phone, providing the second instance of photo documentation of a dragon flying over China so far this summer.

“When I was walking out of the library, I saw a bright, animal-shaped object flying in the sky, heading southeast.

Russia-
They have more crashes, not afraid to shoot, alien descriptions fishy reptile.

Mexico- see fleets.
http://www.ufodigest.com/mexicaninvasion.html
He refocused on the fleet. "They were more than 100 luminous objects in the sky, perhaps two hundred. It was simply spectacular ", he said. His videos show a fleet of luminous objects flying in perfect formation that contrasted with the blue sky and white clouds..

Sweden- nothing unusual
Philippines-nothing unusual
Brazil-aliens

George Santayana
longhaircowboy
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby lost_shaman » Fri May 01, 2009 8:54 am

Hey LHC,

Let me start by stating that I think it's probably a big mistake to lump 'Abduction' reports and reports of 'Entities' in with straight up plain ol' 'UFO' sightings. IMO, these likely represent at least two if not three unrelated phenomena. For me personally I'm only interested in the plain ol' 'UFO' sightings. If it were not for these none of us, certainly not myself, would be talking about UFOs in the first place.

So I think if you just look at 'Abduction' reports on their own for instance then there may in fact be an ethnic disparity if Sleep Paralysis is responsible as Susan Clancy found with her study. Sleep Paralysis may be more prevalent in some ethnicity's and less in others, also religion and culture might play a role in the nature of the Sleep Paralysis experience. The latter religion and culture, I think one could argue can be and is in many cases ethnic specific so I'd bet that the Sleep Paralysis experience would likely present somewhat differently among some ethnic groups.

On the other hand just looking at what people report seeing in the atmosphere, where the reports show consistency yet lack adequate explanation, I would not think that there would be any ethnic disparity that couldn't simply be explained by exposure to a rural night time setting.

Look at these two articles, totally unrelated to the subject of UFOs but relevant here none-the-less.

Birth of the 'concrete generation' who have never seen the countryside
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... yside.html

Why your kids will never see the stars
http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2003 ... enpolitics

Clearly light pollution and the trend towards Urban lifestyles must be contributing factors as well when considering who sees what and where they see it.

l_s
lost_shaman
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby longhaircowboy » Fri May 01, 2009 10:17 pm

Sorry bout the unfinished post above. I had some power issues and didn't get it finished.What I was hoping to show was the small differences in the sightings by country. For instance in Africa the beings have an appearance that relates to them. In China their culture allows them to see dragons. Also there are some slight difference in the details of the UFOs. In Mexico the vast amount of sightings usually involve multiple objects. In Russia they appear to have a lot of crashes which may be related to them not being afraid to shoot at objects in the sky. And Brazilians seem to have propensity for little green men.
There does appear to be some cultural differences at play here and I think l_s that the 2 articles you note which I have seen already may provide even more insight into the differences. I think overall that there are many factors at play here and we could probably dig up any number of others. I mean once you start delving into different types of sightings the factors(ethnic, cultural, racial,rural, etc.) change and blend and sometimes you just can't put a finger on what is at work. USOs is a good example. Do a run through of USO reports and see what happens from country to country(I saw a bit of it in my research). So since I'm no scientist nor a psychologist I am left with a bit research that doesn't really go any where.
Oh and l_s I too am more concerned with sighting as opposed to abductions because I have long held that sleep paralysis seems to be a player in that field and until someone can completeerly rule it out I have no interest.

George Santayana
longhaircowboy
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby Nemo » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:47 am

Lost-Shaman:

I was told a story once about someone whose relative had lived all their life in Chicago. When they had reason, later in their life, to visit with someone who lived in a small town far away from Chicago and it's glow......they were frightened. They didn't know what all the things were up in the sky.
Nemo
In Search of Reality
In Search of Reality

Postby lost_shaman » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:10 am

Nemo wrote:Lost-Shaman:

I was told a story once about someone whose relative had lived all their life in Chicago. When they had reason, later in their life, to visit with someone who lived in a small town far away from Chicago and it's glow......they were frightened. They didn't know what all the things were up in the sky.

Thanks for that story Nemo, I'm sure that's true for many people certainly younger demographics in urban areas around the globe and that situation seems like it would only get worse over time.
lost_shaman
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby Nemo » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:00 am

Thanks. This is especially true considering the fact that many design professionals don't even take "light pollution" into consideration in their designs other than what is strictly required by code. I know that in my life the stars have gotten increasingly dimmer over time. Light pollution, and to some extent, air pollution are the cause of this. I also remember vacationing in the west every year as a child and now, when I go there, I am shocked by the haze that is visible in even sparsely populated locations.

When I was young the Milky Way was very visible as was the Andromeda galaxy, etc. Now they are much less clear in most populated places. When we camped out as kids we wondered about the stars, how far away they were, and some of the things we still wonder about here. When they are less visible people will probably even have fewer of those questions when they are young.

I also remember the near impossibility, and great danger of going to the Moon for the very first time and what an amazing and monumental achievement that was and that the airplane itself wasn't invented that long ago. Younger people now don't have that internalized knowledge, they just accept it as "been there, done that" and have little conception of what was and is really involved. I can't help but see that as a loss. That was such an amazing time and unless you were there I don't think you can really know that.
Last edited by Nemo on Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nemo
In Search of Reality
In Search of Reality

Postby longhaircowboy » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:52 pm

Nemo- Light pollution wasn't really a factor in my research since I was looking for differences in sighting along ethnic, cultural and country and such. If read what I posted above you'll see that there is a bit of desparaty along those lines. I started looking into it because a friend who knows I'm a UFO investigator wondered if I knew of any African-American sightings. Other than the Hill case I couldn't think of one.

George Santayana
longhaircowboy
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby Nemo » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:01 am

I was responding to what Lost-Shaman wrote just above.
Off of the top of my head I remember seeing 2 cases shown on t.v. that were reported by African Americans. One was on UFO Hunters, I think and he was ex military. The other, who I think was black, was stationed at Guantanamo Bay and saw some lights in the water just off of a dock. One of the guys involved in a sighting at a missile base in the 60's or 70's was also black I think. He was on patrol with another guy when they saw strange lights around the base. So besides Barney Hill, that would be three, if it checks out.

Living in large cities would reduce visibility of lights in the sky at night. Could be a factor.
Nemo
In Search of Reality
In Search of Reality

Next

Google

Return to UFOs