Popular Mechanics covers UFOs.

General UFO stories

Moderators: ryguy, chrLz, Zep Tepi

Popular Mechanics covers UFOs.

Postby lost_shaman » Sun May 03, 2009 7:36 am

PM recently published basically an entire issue relating to UFOs. Some of these are decent articles and some informative to the general public. Nothing ground-breaking that would impress too many here on RU I suspect but still worth checking out.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/ufos/

Maybe the story is the fact that PM took up the subject of UFOs. IMO, PM has done a decent job here educating the public while exhibiting the 'Guts' to broach such a subject as UFOs. One of the articles briefly mentions atmospheric plasmas which I think are likely responsible for a majority of 'Unknowns' researchers can find within UFO reports although the focus by PM is understandably misidentifications which are truly the source of most UFO reports starting with Venus of course. :wink:

l_s
lost_shaman
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Re: Popular Mechanics covers UFOs.

Postby Gary » Sun May 03, 2009 3:06 pm

Check out this brief history of the subject in the media. A brief look at the birth of the meme that influenced so many of us in our younger years:

The 10 Most Influential UFO-Inspired Books, Movies and TV Shows

UFO culture began in the late 40’s, when a pilot’s account of a midair encounter with mysterious aircraft triggered similar reports across the United States. Authors, movie producers and a few hack journalists were quick to respond. By the late 1950s, pop culture was completely preoccupied with aliens, and the clichés it created then have been repeated and reinvented ever since. Here are the books, TV shows and movies that helped create the mythology of UFOs in America. They aren’t the best, or the worst, but the ones that made the most impact on the prevailing American superstition of our time.

By Erik Sofge Published on: February 20, 2009

http://www.popularmechanics.com/science ... tml?page=1
Gary
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality

Postby longhaircowboy » Mon May 04, 2009 10:14 pm

Thanks for heads up l_s. Not much there that I don't already Know. A History of Aliens and UFOs in Pop Culture was somewhat lame as was the article Gary mentions above. I could have done a better job on both. I'm currently watching the second season of The Invaders(starring Roy Thinnes). It ran in the late 60s and was probably my favorite show at the time. Only one or two of their picks had any influence on me.
Save a horse, ride a cowboy.

Memory...is an internal rumor.
George Santayana
longhaircowboy
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby lost_shaman » Tue May 05, 2009 12:23 am

longhaircowboy wrote:Thanks for heads up l_s. Not much there that I don't already Know. A History of Aliens and UFOs in Pop Culture was somewhat lame as was the article Gary mentions above. I could have done a better job on both.

Definitely LHC. Nothing is even mentioned pre-1947 with the exception of War of the Worlds even though there was a plethora of Aliens and BEMs (Bug-eyed-Monsters) in the teens, 20's, 30's, and early 40's.

PM writes... "Authors, movie producers and a few hack journalists were quick to respond. By the late 1950s, pop culture was completely preoccupied with aliens, and the clichés it created then have been repeated and reinvented ever since."

News Flash for PM... pop culture was completely preoccupied with aliens and the clichés that came with them about 40 years before the late 1950's!
lost_shaman
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby longhaircowboy » Tue May 05, 2009 11:37 pm

That may be so l_s but the 50s was the heyday and I can't believe they left out so many good films from that era.
I grew up watching these on the saturday matinees.

Destination Moon (1950) . Flying Saucer, The (1950)
Five, The Thing, When Worlds Collide (1951)
Invaders from Mars (1953) . It Came from Outer Space (1953)
Target Earth (1954)
This Island Earth (1955)
Earth vs. the Flying Saucers (1956)
It Conquered the World (1956)
Beginning of the End (1957)
Kronos (1957)
I Married a Monster from Outer Space (1958) . It! The Terror from Beyond Space (1958)
These films a had a big influence on me when I was young. I can't believe they didn't consider any of these classics.
You might find this interesting. A list of some of the stars that made appearances on The Invaders.

Roddy McDowall, Suzanne Pleshette, Jack Lord, James Whitmore, Ed Begley, Peter Graves, Burgess Meredith, Ralph Bellamy, Gene Hackman, Wayne Rogers, Dawn Wells, Pat Hingle, Sally Kellerman, Fritz Weaver, Carol Lynley, Karen Black, Louis Gossett Jr., Will Geer, Barry Williams and Lynn Loring (wife of Roy Thinnes).
Also appearing in The Invaders were the stars of two classic science fiction films: Michael Rennie (The Day the Earth Stood Still, 1951) and Kevin McCarthy (Invasion of the Body Snatchers, 1956).

Get with it PM.
Save a horse, ride a cowboy.

Memory...is an internal rumor.
George Santayana
longhaircowboy
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Google

Return to UFOs