Possible UAP

General UFO stories

Moderators: ryguy, chrLz, Zep Tepi

Re: Possible UAP

Postby Arbitrageur » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:42 am

longhaircowboy wrote: I'm sorry but I can't send it to anyone because 6 months ago I was the victim of a robbery and the rat #$@%#&% got my photo collection. Any other quenstions fire away.
Sorry to hear about the robbery, had a burglary here and it's a bummer.

That tends to discount the plane explanation though I'm not sure if it completely rules it out. Good point that distance is nearly impossible to judge at night.

My earlier question was, how long did you observe it for? You saw it a minute or two, took some photos and resumed watching the game?

Did you glance over once in a while to see if it was still there and if so how long did it remain? Or did you just decide to enjoy the game? (which would be understandable);)
Arbitrageur

Postby Access Denied » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:32 am

Arbitrageur wrote:I will throw out one thought but I'm not saying this explains it. I've stood just outside an airport, at the location where the planes line up to land and see the planes descend on the landing glide path.They can and do appear completely motionless if observed for only a minute or so because they are coming straight toward you, and the lights can appear to be stacked on top of each other just like that.

Seems to be responsible for a lot of UFO videos lately that's for sure.... I think it started with that Lake Erie idiot.

chrLz wrote:Fourth, 1/21sec is quite a slow shutter speed, indeed it is slow enough that a tiny hand movement could cause a single point light source to show a bright area, then a little trail to a second nearby bright area...

Good point. It's not easy to get a stable image under 1/60 sec. hand held in my expereince.

longhaircowboy wrote:I'm sorry but I can't send it to anyone because 6 months ago I was the victim of a robbery and the rat #$@%#&% got my photo collection.

#$@%#&%. I'm confused, is the copy you posted here not the original? I assumed it was because it’s the right size for the phone.

longhaircowboy wrote:Any other quenstions fire away.

Appreciate it.
Last edited by Access Denied on Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: this idiot spelled idiot wrong
Men go and come but Earth abides.
Access Denied
1 of the RU3

Postby chrLz » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:09 am

longhaircowboy wrote:I checked the nights star charts and maps and ruled out celestial objects.

I agree that there doesn't seem to be obvious celestial candidates, but can you pin down the actual direction it was, as in compass point?

I then checked the flight logs for the two local airports and couldn't find any inbound or outbound flights that matched up.

Could you provide more details of how you went about that, and what the results were?

To Arb, I wasn't criticising your post at all - I just have a bit of a 'bee in my bonnet' about over-enlargement.. I do quite often enlarge the bejeebers out of an image as it can provide some clues on just how much false detail/artefacting there really is.

As a related aside, I often point at this page:
http://www.general-cathexis.com/interpolation/index.html
as a good example that shows what enlarging algorithms get up to. It shows the results of various algorithms when applied to a low-res image, in an attempt to recover the original scene. For anyone interested, give it a little while to load, and then roll your mouse over the various numbers... You'll see that enlarged 'reality' takes many forms, and *none* of them are actually accurate! In a way, the *most* accurate image is actually image 1 - which has enlarged the image by simply 'doubling up' the pixels... All the rest include falsely introduced (guessed) data, using differing methodologies to make the guesses.

There are some techniques like 'deconvolution' that can offer very limited results, but they have to be applied with great care, are only useful in some circumstances, and are simply not applicable to images that have compression and sharpening artefacts. Mobile phone/compact camera images invariably suffer from both of those.
"To wear the mantle of Galileo, it is not enough that you be persecuted by an unkind establishment. You must also be right." - Robert L. Park (..almost)
chrLz

Postby longhaircowboy » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:45 pm

Arbitrageur- The duration of the sighting was about one minute. Then poof it was gone and I went back watching the game.
AD- Yes thats the original but I moved it from my phone to a thumb drive which went poof in the robbery.
Chrlz- As to compass point it was northeast of my location. I called up the airports and gave them the info I had for the object to check against possible in/out flights and nothing hit. I'm well known in this area as an active field investigator of UFOs(I get calls from the local media at times).
Of the many sightings I've investigated this one and one in nearby Pasco county remain mysteries. Since I'm pretty thorough I can say I've solved more than I haven't. But.....still no sign of ET.
Save a horse, ride a cowboy.

Memory...is an internal rumor.
George Santayana
longhaircowboy
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby Luck » Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:47 am

It occurred to me that it could have been the International Space Station. It only takes about 4 minutes to move over the visible horizon. NASA says that expulsion of waste water can cause light flairs as can the reflection of the sun off the solar arrays making the ISS much brighter.
It is possible that it flew over Florida on May 29, 2010, but there is a caveat from the website that gave me the historical data; the data for the present is the only really accurate data (according to the FAQ) and as you move farther away from the present the accuracy degrades. The images came from heavens-above.com.

Anyway, here are two images I pulled that should at least give you an idea of the path...since I can't guarantee the accuracy. I am only posting them here to discuss this as a possibility.

Path for 5/29/2010 approx. 7 PM EDT. The times given on the images do not take DST into consideration.
ISSflyover1900.jpeg
ISSflyover1900.jpeg (42.79 KiB) Viewed 816 times

Path for 5/29/2010 approx. 8:40 PM EDT. (again, I had to adjust for DST).
ISSflyover2040.jpeg
ISSflyover2040.jpeg (48.76 KiB) Viewed 816 times
Last edited by Access Denied on Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: fixed inline attachment
I think the surest sign that there is intelligent life out there in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." (Calvin and Hobbes/Bill Waterson)
Luck
Reality Is In Sight
Reality Is In Sight

Postby longhaircowboy » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:51 pm

Thats a good idea Luck but I think if you look closely at the photo I posted it doesn't match up. Also to my eyes that night it didn't appear to be at that altitude but I have seen the ISS via my telescope.
Save a horse, ride a cowboy.

Memory...is an internal rumor.
George Santayana
longhaircowboy
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Previous

Google

Return to UFOs