The Next UFO Hoax

General UFO stories

Moderators: ryguy, chrLz, Zep Tepi

The Next UFO Hoax

Postby longhaircowboy » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:28 pm

Ok I thought this sort of thing couldn't happen but some one has gone and used the recent Hubble image of the astroid collision with its comet like tail as a UFO sighting. The link: http://www.ufo-reports.com/
Don't these people pay attention. The photo was released with much ado about how it was the closest scientists had come to actually capturing a collision. Wait til I get done with these yahoos.
Save a horse, ride a cowboy.

Memory...is an internal rumor.
George Santayana
longhaircowboy
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Re: The Next UFO Hoax

Postby longhaircowboy » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:46 pm

Ok I can't find any contact info on the site but there is a button for Ed Grimsley the supposed UFO reseacher who claims that he can see alien craft duking it out in the skies above using his night vision goggles. If you take a look at his pics all you'll see is green dots. And if you look at the vids all you see are green dots. More rods type stuff. sheesh. Oh and he also promotes Jose Escamilla's stuff.

George Santayana
longhaircowboy
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby Nemo » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:13 am

Rods are great. I saw something on t.v. awhile back and it made a huge deal about how a "rod" had been videotaped "chasing" an Air Force fighter plane and how we aren't safe anymore. It was a bug.......and it wasn't chasing any jet. At most it probably had it's eye on another bug. This is how a molehill, that you know to be a molehill ,can be made into a ridiculous mountain by the media. Sometimes a blob is just a blob. Actually, a photo of a blob or a point of light on film really contains no information, unless it is correctly positioned to be an identifiable star, otherwise it's just a blob and could be anything, or nothing at all.
Nemo
In Search of Reality
In Search of Reality

Postby ryguy » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:56 pm

This is common in the ghost-hunting field as well. I've watched as countless investigators who are completely clueless about cameras or photography, label a blob or a dust in the lens as a "spirit entity." It's the same exact mentality where ufologists mislabel photographic anomalies as UFO's. If all of the "rods" in our night-photos were UFO's we'd all be enslaved by aliens already.

Insanity. I often wonder if the number of critical-thinking minds in the world are shrinking or increasing. I predict a backlash in the next few seasons of television with a new round of paranormal shows that completely debunk all of the ridiculous reality-TV garbage paranormal "investigations" they tout as "research."

With the above said, I should also say that I've also seen and heard what I'd consider to be legitimate evidence...just wanted to point that out before someone labels me a blanket skeptic...lol.

-Ryan
---
"Only a fool of a scientist would dismiss the evidence and reports in front of him and substitute his own beliefs in their place." - Paul Kurtz

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
ryguy
1 of the RU3

Postby Access Denied » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:06 am

ryguy wrote:With the above said, I should also say that I've also seen and heard what I'd consider to be legitimate evidence...

Well then post it up! :)

ryguy wrote:...just wanted to point that out before someone labels me a blanket skeptic...

You mean "psuedoskeptic"...

(that's all the rage now, second only to "disinfo agent")

Oh, and LHC, did you see that "UFO Conferences" page? Man, I had no idea there were so many opportunities to cash in on this stuff...
Men go and come but Earth abides.
Access Denied
1 of the RU3

Postby lost_shaman » Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:51 am

The digital revolution is largely to blame in that digital photos quickly replaced film for many people and digital photos present many artifacts that are new or different from film artifacts.

For instance common "Dust" tends to present as spectacular "orbs" in digital photos while film photos almost never show "dust" as an artifact.
lost_shaman
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby the|exx » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:25 pm

I am at pains to understand why people believe in the stuff. What's the cause? What's missing from their lives that they need to invest so much belief (nay faith) in it? Is this 'magical thinking' a new age replacement for those disenfranchised by religion? Or is it simply stupid people validating stupid people?

the|exx :?
They're coming to take me away, Ha-Haaah!
- Dan Burisch
the|exx
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby Zep Tepi » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:44 pm

Good question(s) the|exx. Btw, good to see you again :)
There are probably different reasons for different people, but wanting to believe in stuff like this most certainly clouds most people's critical thinking skills. Some of them will believe stuff like this no matter what, they are simply stupid. It's those stupid people that are responsible for there being so much crap out there in the first place.
Zep Tepi
1 of the RU3

Postby the|exx » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:28 pm

Thanks for the reply and welcome ZT!

My apologies for spending so much time away. I've been so busy with work... and a little lexx on the way.

I find myself in a delicate balancing act between sheer anger and complete dismay when dealing with the endless purveyors of bunk. Sometimes I wonder why I care so much when it causes so much heart ache. Even with the wealth of brilliant minds fighting the good fight, I can't help but feel that the mountain we climb grows taller faster than we can climb it.

It appears that as time moves forward, the tales grow taller, and the rationale, more convoluted/ambiguous. Sometimes I yearn for the simpler days of Adamski and Meier. These days something as prosaic as a broken Wind Turbine is automatically proclaimed as evidence of a UFO fender bender, A blurry picture of a bug is a trans-dimensional 'Rod', Sun Dogs are Nibiru and every science fiction movie is proof positive of drip fed disclosure.

I guess this is all part and parcel or that double edged knife we call the internet. While it provides us with unparalleled access to information and like minded individuals, it also gives a voice to those who would benefit the world better by remaining silent.

the|exx :roll:
- Dan Burisch
the|exx
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby Zep Tepi » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:33 pm

the|exx wrote:Thanks for the reply and welcome ZT!

My apologies for spending so much time away. I've been so busy with work... and a little lexx on the way.

Snap! I've been spending too much time away, been madly busy with work and there is also another little Zep on the way :) We're September, how about you?

I find myself in a delicate balancing act between sheer anger and complete dismay when dealing with the endless purveyors of bunk. Sometimes I wonder why I care so much when it causes so much heart ache. Even with the wealth of brilliant minds fighting the good fight, I can't help but feel that the mountain we climb grows taller faster than we can climb it.

Yeah, I shouldn't really, but I sometimes get so angry at the sheer stupidity of it all. It doesn't usually last long, though. One thing I can say with certainty is we are determined to carry on flushing them out. Thankfully, the majority of the scammers aren't as clever as they might think.

It appears that as time moves forward, the tales grow taller, and the rationale, more convoluted/ambiguous. Sometimes I yearn for the simpler days of Adamski and Meier. These days something as prosaic as a broken Wind Turbine is automatically proclaimed as evidence of a UFO fender bender, A blurry picture of a bug is a trans-dimensional 'Rod', Sun Dogs are Nibiru and every science fiction movie is proof positive of drip fed disclosure.

I feel your pain!

I guess this is all part and parcel or that double edged knife we call the internet. While it provides us with unparalleled access to information and like minded individuals, it also gives a voice to those who would benefit the world better by remaining silent.

the|exx :roll:

Extremely well put. If there were more people like you around, this fight would be a lot easier =D>
Zep Tepi
1 of the RU3

Postby longhaircowboy » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:39 pm

hey the lexx I liked that last sentence. I guess it was a bit naive of me to think that noone would have the jewels to take a photo that was released with such hoopla by actual scientists and try to spin it into a UFO story. I have sent an angry(but polite) email to Ed but have yet to recieve a response. He must be of the mindset that ignoring a problem will make it go away.
AD, your right about the chances to cash in. Too many sheeple.

George Santayana
longhaircowboy
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby the|exx » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:12 am

Zep Tepi wrote:Snap! I've been spending too much time away, been madly busy with work and there is also another little Zep on the way :) We're September, how about you?

Snap on your Snap! Little Lexx is due September 20th... give or take. Is the Mr's showing her baby bump yet? We are at 9 weeks and bump is fairly visible already. Exciting stuff isn't it! My first obviously...

Zep Tepi wrote:If there were more people like you around, this fight would be a lot easier =D>

Thanks mate. That means a lot! In September there will be!! :D

|exx :wink:
- Dan Burisch
the|exx
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby the|exx » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:26 am

longhaircowboy wrote:I guess it was a bit naive of me to think that noone would have the jewels to take a photo that was released with such hoopla by actual scientists and try to spin it into a UFO story.

The old tabloid motto's come to mind...
"$ensationalism makes good copy" & "Never let the truth get in the way of a good yarn".

longhaircowboy wrote:I have sent an angry(but polite) email to Ed but have yet to receive a response. He must be of the mindset that ignoring a problem will make it go away.

Funny about that... I guess it just goes to show how disingenuous the guy is.

longhaircowboy wrote:AD, your right about the chances to cash in. Too many sheeple.

It's incredible how much the world is being dumbed down... and if I may indulge myself with one further quote..

"Never underestimate ones ability to pull the wool over their own eyes".

I hope you get a reply from this joker soon LHC!

|exx :wink:
- Dan Burisch
the|exx
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby Zep Tepi » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:15 pm

the|exx wrote:
Zep Tepi wrote:Snap! I've been spending too much time away, been madly busy with work and there is also another little Zep on the way :) We're September, how about you?

Snap on your Snap! Little Lexx is due September 20th... give or take. Is the Mr's showing her baby bump yet? We are at 9 weeks and bump is fairly visible already. Exciting stuff isn't it! My first obviously...

Haha, our due date is September 15th. Yeah, baby bump is already present, either that or she's been eating too much ;) It is exciting, though it's becoming pretty "run of the mill" for me now... This will be our third child together but I also have three from my previous marriage - the youngest (13) of which now lives with us.

I need a bigger car :shock:
Zep Tepi
1 of the RU3

Postby You Can Call Me Ray » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:58 pm

Congrats to |exx for bringing his first critical thinker into the world! I have no doubt this new, young mind is in good hands for his/her raising!

And Steve! 6! You are certainly doing your part to try and combat the dumbing-down of the planet. But you'd best take a rest, my friend... you can't take on the whole burden yourself! :D

Ray
The Universe is an Integrated System. Operational, Functional, and Physical.
You Can Call Me Ray
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Next

Google

Return to UFOs