Malmstrom AFB Missile/UFO Incident, March 1967

General UFO stories

Moderators: ryguy, chrLz, Zep Tepi

Re: Malmstrom AFB Missile/UFO Incident, March 1967

Postby pork » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:02 pm

I have the records and will look.
Again, I will not debate it with you--I am just conveying the story told to me. He was a beyond serious guy, hyper technical and ultra intelligent. When he said 'A' he meant A, not implying B...but a solid, hard, accurate A. I agree that MMII and ICBM sites are heavily shielded. This was an experience that haunted him for the rest of his life--where combat in VN, ugly life exp, other traumas just slid right off his back. He never ever went back to church after that--MT was an epiphany. It was an emotional thing for him to tell me--which was beyond rare...almost impossible.

His final rank was Lt. Colonel. He was demoralized by out time in Great Falls--and even as a child I would tell you that we all knew it. Before he was a gung-freaking-ho military guy who bled red-white and blue. He was a volunteer-an Eagle Scout-a winner of the Air Arnold Award-a decorated officer. So say what you want.

So as I response-I would say that it is you that are mistaken. It was a topic of discussion...and a source of immense stress. Two friends and I saw a craft in the middle of a densely populated suburb of Dallas. We thought FOR SURE others would have seen it and reported it. Not so.
pork
In Search of Reality
In Search of Reality

Postby Access Denied » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:26 pm

James Carlson wrote:it's very difficult to think of you guys as being anything less than the gullible, possibly brain-damaged impresarios of the insane that really bad sitcoms incessantly portray you as. The banality of foolishness is much easier to accept when those possessed of such banality are incapable of saying, "well, now, that doesn't sound very likely -- you're going to have to do better than that ..."

James, many of us understand and share your frustration but can you please tone it down a little bit? There are many otherwise perfectly rational people who believe UFOs could be, or are, alien spaceships. The problem is thanks to all the hoaxers and charlatans and the people that promote them for profit, they don't have all the facts and they haven't heard the more rational arguments against this belief.

This kind of language is only going to turn off some people you otherwise might be able to reach.

Cool?
Men go and come but Earth abides.
Access Denied
1 of the RU3

Postby James Carlson » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:04 pm

They're also not trying to convince me to accept a story without anything at all to recommend it. Don't you ever get tired of people insisting on the discussion without putting up anything that normal folks would accept as evidential? I've had to put up with 3-4 years of this kind of crap from Robert Hastings, and I'm not even interested in UFOs. I'm perfectly willing to discuss FOIA documents, videos, tape recordings. or whatever the hell else you want to discuss, but when someone tells me that he has no intention of arguing a point that he nonetheless repeatedly makes, it sounds an awful lot like he wants us to accept UFOs as a point of fact without having to provide anything except a couple of Isaac Asimov short stories that have been mislabeled "non-fiction". No offense, but that doesn't even approach something I would normally consider before reaching a conclusion. It's just someone getting the doctrine read into the permanent record. This is exactly the same thing Robert Hastings asserts: UFOs are real, and there's nothing you can say to counter that. It's the same thing Ray Fowler says: I may have gotten a few specific facts wrong, but you can't argue against the conclusions I've reached. If the only discussion that you're willing to have isn't even a first person narrative, and you are also refusing to argue the point of validity, then I reserve the right to treat it with contempt. Most of the people in this country who believe in UFOs have never seen a UFO; they believe as a result of someone coming forward and claiming that "you can't argue against facts, so I'm not even going to try. UFOs are real." Well, bollocks.
James Carlson
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality

Postby Access Denied » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:50 am

James Carlson wrote:Don't you ever get tired of people insisting on the discussion without putting up anything that normal folks would accept as evidential?

If you’ll notice, people like that tend not to last very long around here.

Indeed, the plural of anecdote is not data.
Access Denied
1 of the RU3

Postby Access Denied » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:58 am

pork wrote:I have the records and will look.

Great, that would definitely help.

pork wrote:So as I response-I would say that it is you that are mistaken. It was a topic of discussion...and a source of immense stress. Two friends and I saw a craft in the middle of a densely populated suburb of Dallas. We thought FOR SURE others would have seen it and reported it. Not so.

Perhaps others who saw it didn’t think it was that extraordinary?
Access Denied
1 of the RU3

Postby Tim Hebert » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:14 am

Pork,

Welcome back to the forum. You've listed some outstanding accomplishments of your father and should be proud of his service. You've stated that he was conflicted. Crew duty was, at times, stressful due to the constant training, standboard evals and ORIs. Your father would have been pulling alerts during one or two of the infamous NORAD computer "burps" which erroneously showed a potential Soviet missile strike inbound towards the U.S. SAC's ICBM crews actually had to insert the launch keys in preparation of a retaliation counter-strike. My then roommate was involved with one of the incidents and stated that the "pucker" factor was off the scale! Perhaps this could have effected him if he was on alert at the time. Other factors involved could have been the revelation of what the Single Integrated Operational Plan (SIOP) really specified. There was a reason why the US fielded over 1000 ICBMs during the 1960s, 70s, 80s and 90s, and it had nothing to do with with first strike capabilities that the anti-nuke groups proclaimed. This was an eye-opener for me as a young 23 year old 2lt.

About magnetic pollution effecting tape drives. During the 1980s, no such notion existed other than the normal solar fluxes that appeared during that time period, if any occured at all. All of our critical components in the LCC and onboard the ICBM (Missile Guidance System) was shielded via filtering from RFI and EMPs. That was not so in the early and mid-1960s but that was well taken care of after the Echo Flight incident in 1967 and subsequent engineering evaluation and fixes.

During my time on the crew force, we were never briefed on UFO activities, no UFO threat analysis briefings, no training simulation rides that simulated a UFO encounter, no T.O. -18 checklist for UFO encounters. We never discussed the geo-political nature of UFOs and their effects on national security. We were briefed on Soviet spy satellite overflights (time and duration over the wing area) and over flights by Chinese and Soviet airliners inwhich COMSEC rules were put inplace for the short duration.

A few words about magnetic issues. Flight and ground information was read onto 4-track LF-specific load cartridges which inturn was read into the Digital Control Unit (DCU) on board the MGS. The load cartridge also contained half of the launch code. The other half was in the Permutation Plug (P-plug) which was also located in the MGS. The load cartridge data could have been altered due to magnetic influences. Infact, load cartridges where magnetically erased back at the base inorder to reuse them. The drive disk in the DCU was a slightly different story. Magnetic enfluence would not have been able to erase all of its data. AS the OIC of the Codes Division's Operations Branch at Grand Forks AFB, I frequently had to arrange for the transportation of failed MGSs to be shipped to Newark AFS, OH, where the DCU's disk was removed and dipped in acid to ensure 100 percent destruction of its data. I believe that the disk was then intentionally shattered rendering it useless for any future use.

As far as my initial question about Pork's father's unit, it was more from a curiosity factor since it would have been possible that my first crew commanders may have known him and mentioned his name in passing. Nothing more and nothing less.

Finally, in my previous posts relating to Malmstrom ICBMs and UFOs, I neglected to mention the fact that all of the LCCs in the wing contained an "unofficial" log known as "The Captains Log" which contained all of the ramblings, prose, philosophical thinking of those that pulled alerts. I guess you could call the Captain's Log as a written form of a forum. All crew members could write in the log regardless of their squadron affiliation. What is important for people to know is that I pulled alerts at every 10th, 12th and 490th sites and read all of the various Captain's Logs and none of the logs mentioned UFOs nor where their any written discussions concerning UFOs. Some of the posting dates went back to the early 1970s. Some missile wings banned the use of such a log yet crews kept and hid them in various places in the LCCs such as empty equipment drawers in the computer racks.

Tim
Tim Hebert
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby James Carlson » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:00 am

Access Denied wrote:
James Carlson wrote:Don't you ever get tired of people insisting on the discussion without putting up anything that normal folks would accept as evidential?

If you’ll notice, people like that tend not to last very long around here.

Indeed, the plural of anecdote is not data.

Sorry, man -- what can I say? I'm a prick...
James Carlson
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality

Postby James Carlson » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:35 am

Well, I got an approved press release that will hopefully attract some healthy media attention of the sort I'd love to see in attendance at the National Press Club on September 27. It's posted at http://www.malebits.com/article42857.html ; in addition, I sent out about 200 or so similar announcements to numerous other news outlets, so hopefully there will be some reporters willing to ask intelligent questions. I guess we'll see..
James Carlson
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality

Postby Access Denied » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:46 am

Tim Hebert wrote:Other factors involved could have been the revelation of what the Single Integrated Operational Plan (SIOP) really specified.

MAD not NUTS

Tim Hebert wrote:As far as my initial question about Pork's father's unit, it was more from a curiosity factor since it would have been possible that my first crew commanders may have known him and mentioned his name in passing. Nothing more and nothing less.

That's what I figured.

Fascinating post, thank you for that... what a great job, huh?

James Carlson wrote:Sorry, man -- what can I say? I'm a prick...

:)
Access Denied
1 of the RU3

Postby ryguy » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:04 pm

James Carlson wrote:Well, I got an approved press release that will hopefully attract some healthy media attention of the sort I'd love to see in attendance at the National Press Club on September 27. It's posted at http://www.malebits.com/article42857.html ; in addition, I sent out about 200 or so similar announcements to numerous other news outlets, so hopefully there will be some reporters willing to ask intelligent questions. I guess we'll see..

Nice! Will mention that on the blog tonight or tomorrow. Great release. Hopefully someone attending the conference will read that beforehand.

-Ryan
---
"Only a fool of a scientist would dismiss the evidence and reports in front of him and substitute his own beliefs in their place." - Paul Kurtz

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
ryguy
1 of the RU3

Postby Gilles F. » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:22 pm

James Carlson wrote:Well, I got an approved press release that will hopefully attract some healthy media attention of the sort I'd love to see in attendance at the National Press Club on September 27. It's posted at http://www.malebits.com/article42857.html ; in addition, I sent out about 200 or so similar announcements to numerous other news outlets, so hopefully there will be some reporters willing to ask intelligent questions. I guess we'll see..

Greetings Mister Carlson,

"Same" as ryguy saids, it have been relayed in our humble french forum "sceptic-ovni" (Skeptic UFO).

In (as you know, because you made an intervention ^^) : http://sceptic-ovni.forumactif.com/les- ... .htm#23798

and recently : http://sceptic-ovni.forumactif.com/medi ... .htm#23845

Many good things for you, Mister James Carlson, in this new "episode";

All of this is probably not evident humainly speacking for you and your father.

But your quest and fight against such "exploitation" of the human credulity by some, is remarkable, admirable and very much appreciated here. My humble "congrats" and "accompaniment" on what you are doing.

Plein de bonnes choses à vous ;)

Sincerly and Respects,

Gilles F. (Kri§tinne)
Gilles F.
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby James Carlson » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:29 am

Gilles F. wrote:

Greetings Mister Carlson,

"Same" as ryguy saids, it have been relayed in our humble french forum "sceptic-ovni" (Skeptic UFO).

In (as you know, because you made an intervention ^^) : http://sceptic-ovni.forumactif.com/les- ... .htm#23798

and recently : http://sceptic-ovni.forumactif.com/medi ... .htm#23845

Many good things for you, Mister James Carlson, in this new "episode";

All of this is probably not evident humainly speacking for you and your father.

But your quest and fight against such "exploitation" of the human credulity by some, is remarkable, admirable and very much appreciated here. My humble "congrats" and "accompaniment" on what you are doing.

Plein de bonnes choses à vous ;)

Sincerly and Respects,

Gilles F. (Kri§tinne)

Thanks very much Gilles F. (Kri§tinne)! I really love the "Earth Vs. The Flying Saucers" trailer that you have posted on the second link: "This is a voice speaking to you from thousands of miles beyond your planet." It's a true classic! I think I'll turn it into a screen saver.
Cheers,
James
James Carlson
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality

Postby ryguy » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:00 am

Man...I stayed up way too late writing up this one! Here's the latest release...

http://www.realityuncovered.net/blog/20 ... -part-iii/

Part 4, coming up in a week or less, will be the final interview with Captain Eric Carlson.

Cheers,
-Ryan
---
"Only a fool of a scientist would dismiss the evidence and reports in front of him and substitute his own beliefs in their place." - Paul Kurtz

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
ryguy
1 of the RU3

Postby James Carlson » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:44 am

ryguy wrote:Man...I stayed up way too late writing up this one! Here's the latest release...

http://www.realityuncovered.net/blog/20 ... -part-iii/

Part 4, coming up in a week or less, will be the final interview with Captain Eric Carlson.

Cheers,
-Ryan

Apparently, staying up too late doesn't subtract much from your abilities. Number 3 of 4 is just as good as your other two posts -- thank you. I can't wait to read number 4 of 4. Outstanding stuff, Ryan, and I appreciate every bit of it.

Many thanks,
James
James Carlson
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality

Postby pork » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:36 am

I appreciate the less than warm reaction. I will get the service record out of the attic tomorrow; but it is not that important to me.
I would like to set the record straight-I was recounting a conversation--one that I would have never done while my father was alive--as he would have denied it. I understand Mr. Carlson's reaction, but not his method of attack nor implied slights. Boo hoo, I know. I came to RU to gain more answers, as a skeptical inquirer. I enjoy the critical releases and methodology of this site.
I am not a tin hatted nutter. In fact--I generally hold the majority of the UFO community and info with disdain. If I had not seen something spectacular-with others present-I wouldn't believe it at all. Haven't seen anything since, never ever snapped a pic. I am a degreed economist, sommelier, welder and machine enthusiast--not a raving fruit cake. I never declared evidence. At best I offered hear-say... from a source that I couldn't have trusted or believed more. My life doesn't revolve around UFOs, and I tend to feel it is a sociological fantasy. I have come to think that I might have glimpsed a UAV--but it just doesn't work.
Then someone like my pops speaks up, or Mur, or Eth-in a sincere and frank manner. But I guess we are all charlatans seeking notoriety, no?
I emailed Salas a time or two, and never found him to be looney or less than normal. He wasn't interested in the 'phenom' as a whole, hoaxes or aspects other than the Malmstrom issues.
pork
In Search of Reality
In Search of Reality

PreviousNext

Google

Return to UFOs