Fighter Jets Chase UFO

General UFO stories

Moderators: ryguy, chrLz, Zep Tepi

Fighter Jets Chase UFO

Postby longhaircowboy » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:45 pm

Here's the latest from the Sun.
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/ne ... he-M5.html
There's not much text. And in the short vid the saucer looks too '50s movie like. But hey you know who said this:
Expert Nick Pope, who probed UFO sightings for the MoD, said: "This is one of the best videos I've seen. It could be a new drone - that might explain the military jets.
Oh and you don't actually see the jets chase it.
Save a horse, ride a cowboy.

Memory...is an internal rumor.
George Santayana
longhaircowboy
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Re: Fighter Jets Chase UFO

Postby You Can Call Me Ray » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:48 am

Nick Pope never fails to make me yawn with his seeming inability to identify the much more mundane possibilities in such sightings.

Between the still photo #2 and the video, it looks VERY much like a hybrid air vehicle (airship that also uses common aerodynamic flight principles to generate aerodynamic lift as well as buoyant lift). And coincidence of coincidences, there is a company not that far from the M5 in the UK that actually builds such a vehicle called the SkyCat. The company is called, oddly enough, Hybrid Air Vehicles.

They are located at Cardington Field in Bedford, which is only about 90-100 km southeast of the M-5 motorway where this sighting was reported. (Our UK friends can correct my rough guess if I am not very accurate here).

Perhaps, in a week or so, I can give more details of why I know so much about this company and their products! :wink:

Oh yes... and I would also like to point out something about airship dynamics that not a lot of people know: One of the natural aerodynamic responses of such an airship, which can sometimes be very hard to suppress, is called the "falling leaf dynamic". It is a combination of oscillatory roll and yaw that stems from low inherent roll damping of certain aerodynamic shapes. An airship is one of these certain shapes because they do not have long wingspans, which are what provide high amounts of roll damping.

Anyway... has anyone ever read UFO reports where they claim the UFO "moved like a falling leaf"? :wink:

More later...if and when I am allowed to speak about it.
Ray
The Universe is an Integrated System. Operational, Functional, and Physical.
You Can Call Me Ray
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Postby Chorlton » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:04 am

IRRELEVANT NEWS BREAK
I would like to add a titbit of info to this thread.
I caught my first ever great crested newt within sight of the airship hangers at Cardington.

Carry On
I have become that which I always despised and feared........Old !

My greatest wish, would be to own my own scrapyard.
Chorlton
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Postby You Can Call Me Ray » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:24 pm

Gee, and up until now, I thought YOU were the only great crested newt still living, Chorlton! :D

Ray
You Can Call Me Ray
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Postby ryguy » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:31 pm

You Can Call Me Ray wrote:Anyway... has anyone ever read UFO reports where they claim the UFO "moved like a falling leaf"? :wink:

Ray

Ray the model image you posted of the airship sitting next to the planes is impressive...man, those airships really are huge aren't they...
---
"Only a fool of a scientist would dismiss the evidence and reports in front of him and substitute his own beliefs in their place." - Paul Kurtz

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
ryguy
1 of the RU3

Postby Chorlton » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:59 pm

ryguy wrote:
You Can Call Me Ray wrote:Anyway... has anyone ever read UFO reports where they claim the UFO "moved like a falling leaf"? :wink:

Ray

Ray the model image you posted of the airship sitting next to the planes is impressive...man, those airships really are huge aren't they...

You havent seen pics of the new german ones?
Ill see if I can find some

Chorlton
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Postby longhaircowboy » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:37 pm

Ray- I have heard of some instances where the witness described a falling leaf effect. Can't put my finger on which ones exactly but here's one I found with a cursory search.
1968-The Buff Ledge Alien Abductions
http://ufos.about.com/od/aliensalienabd ... fledge.htm
[quote}making baffling maneuvers with the lightness of a falling leaf. [/quote]
I also found a video but its not to good. Good catch with the airship. But it still looks to me like a '50s era scifi "saucer".
Save a horse, ride a cowboy.

Memory...is an internal rumor.
George Santayana
longhaircowboy
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby IsaacKoi » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:47 pm

longhaircowboy wrote:Here's the latest from the Sun.
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/ne ... he-M5.html
There's not much text. And in the short vid the saucer looks too '50s movie like. .

Hi there guys,

The hoaxer admitted the hoax a while ago and posted a video basically boasting about how he fooled people around the world.

Of course, there is no mention of the fact that many (probably most) people that commented on the video thought it was a pretty poor hoax, nor any mention of the fact that anyone identified the actual 3D computer graphics used in the video.

By the way, Dr David Clarke in England had covered this video in the current (June 2010?) edition of Fortean Times - an updated copy of his article is now on his blog
http://drdavidclarke.blogspot.com/2010/ ... at-me.html

All the clues pointed towards a clever hoax. Investigative UFOlogist Isaac Koi - who has a fantastic new website here - spent an afternoon scrutinising the mystery footage and consulted CGI experts who have posted similar films on YouTube. One said: “…everything that appears in the video is digital. The textures are very clean. The trucks, the tree, the UFO, the jets. Not mine, but it is very good, and is CGI.”

Not conclusive proof, but it shows what an enquiring kind and a small investment of time can come up with. Koi pointed out there is a P&O container in the foreground of the video on which some serial numbers are visible. Suspiciously, the camera appears to focus on the serial number before shifting to the UFO. He then traced an online 3D image of a P&O container with a serial number visible, which appears to be the same serial number as the container image online.

Conclusive evidence the video is a hoax?

Yes. The creator of the video confessed on 21 April and posted the full video on YouTube, along with a stage-by-stage account of how it was produced using a simple computer programme. It appears the whole story was a clever exercise in viral marketing - with the tabloids and UFO 'experts' all taken in by their will to believe.

All the best,

Isaac
IsaacKoi

Postby Chorlton » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:47 pm

Still the best way to hoax a UFO is to make one up with, say a dustbin lid, keep lobbing it into the air and sooner or later you will come up with a quite plausible photo.
Good luck with the website Isaac.
I spent about 3 months scanning in stuff and preparing vidoes and photos to put on a website then realised that no one actually cares. Youll never convince the dedicated UFO believer neither will you change the way a cropcircle freak thinks. I dumped the lot.

Chorlton
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Postby ryguy » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:51 pm

There are new people entering the field with interest all the time. Remember the first time you bought your first book of UFO's and aliens? I do - it was David Jacob's "The Threat" and it prompted me to go back and read all of the older literature, the abduction stories, the sightings and the movies that fictionalized them, etc...

Then, consider how long it took you to realize how completely screwed up most Ufologists really are, but there's always that inkling in the back of your mind that maybe, just maybe if the crazies hadn't taken over, progress would have been made in understanding all of this?

There is for me. I'm convinced if we denounce the crazies and lock them away in the closet with a plaque labeled (herein lies a wasteland of confusion and idiocy, beware) - and then we promote and encourage good, solid researchers who adhere to the principles of evidence and truth...don't you think there's still hope? I do...

-Ry
---
"Only a fool of a scientist would dismiss the evidence and reports in front of him and substitute his own beliefs in their place." - Paul Kurtz

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
ryguy
1 of the RU3

Postby gunter » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:02 pm

'The Threat?' Hell that was like yesterday. I cut my teeth on Edwards and Keyhoe and Adamski. But of all the historians involved in the science the very best one is writing now. It's Rich Dolan. He's more of an aggregator than a theoretician and that's exactly what separates him from the current crop of true believers. Objectivity. I'll say exactly the same thing for Dave Jacobs. You started with a master.
consider everything/ believe nothing
gunter
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby ryguy » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:33 pm

Yeah, Jacobs was interesting to read. I didn't say it was the first UFO book ever written, it was just the first I happened to pick up and decide to look through. Like I said - it sent me digging back through the annals of Ufology and I came out smelling just as stinky as everyone else who ever made the same mistake. :)
---

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
ryguy
1 of the RU3

Postby gunter » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:44 pm

Whatever. It's not everyone's cup of tea.
gunter
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby You Can Call Me Ray » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:46 pm

gunter wrote:But of all the historians involved in the science the very best one is writing now. It's Rich Dolan. He's more of an aggregator than a theoretician and that's exactly what separates him from the current crop of true believers. Objectivity.

It would seem someone at CSICOP disagrees with you about Dolan's objectivity...

Sci Fi Investigates, Finds Only Pseudoscience

But maybe he has cleaned-up his Occam's Razor citations since 2007? #-o
Ray
You Can Call Me Ray
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Postby gunter » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:00 pm

He's panning the new TV show- which I haven't seen- but assume it's designed mainly to entertain and sell toothpaste. What I was referring to is his serious written works on the UFO problem and the National Security State. His books require of us much more dedication than sitting on our fat asses in front of the boob tube eating popcorn for a half hour. Any idiot can do that- in fact most idiots do. Ever notice?
gunter
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Next

Google

Return to UFOs