Mirage Men and cake - 29 July 2010 (London)

General UFO stories

Moderators: ryguy, chrLz, Zep Tepi

Re: Mirage Men and cake - 29 July 2010 (London)

Postby caryn » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:25 pm

Chorlton - I've known John and Mark for some time - they are good guys. Try and make it to the do and see for yourself, it'll go on til quite late-I'm sure you will be pleasantly surprised.....plus it would be good to meet you.
caryn
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby murnut » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:42 am

Chorlton seem to be a little cranky...I understand the point, just think he went way over the top.

I'm looking forward to the book and the movie
"The Conformers are hard to read. They are rocks."
murnut
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality

Postby Chorlton » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:32 am

Zep Tepi wrote:Bloody hell Chorlton, you're turning into the Spitting Image Norman Tebbit caricature.

I must admit I found your comment that you believed Mark was lying to be well out of order. You don't know the guy, yet essentially you are accusing him of something based on no evidence whatsoever - just your gut instinct. You are entitled to your opinion, but if I were you I'd start taking some indigestion tablets. Your gut seems to be playing up.

I was interviewed for the film and I certainly didn't get paid. Are you going to accuse me of lying now?
I've met Mark and John several times and they are both great blokes. They certainly don't deserve the treatment you've been giving Mark.

Zep. my comment was most certainly not based on any gut instinct. I would have thought you would have known the way I work a little better than that. If I didnt care I wouldnt have posted at all. Its because I care about what goes on that I will stand up for what I believe.
Now having met some of the characters previously (though I openly admit some time ago) it was made quite clear to me and my associates that, if I or my friends were to use a camera or recording device of any type and if they were actually to be quoted by name or be on camera then a fee would be involved. In one case I was even told to contact one persons agent to arrange the fee.
Thats why I stated what I did. In some cases the 'Fee' was nothing more than a decent, slap up dinner in a classy Restaurant, or a decent bottle of Scottish Malt, but I still classified it as a fee, without it they would not have spoken to us.
Now these people may have softened up in the intervening years, but it was, in general, accepted at the time, that if the Interview was to be used on a financially rewarding project such as a film TV or a Book then most certainly a fee would be asked for, these people just didnt give their time for nothing.
I stand by my remarks.

As I mentinoned to Mur in the following post. My original response to Marks post was much much more critical, but I self censored it. Also be aware my comments were based on his response to my response.
Last edited by Chorlton on Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
I have become that which I always despised and feared........Old !

My greatest wish, would be to own my own scrapyard.
Chorlton
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Postby Chorlton » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:36 am

caryn wrote:Chorlton - I've known John and Mark for some time - they are good guys. Try and make it to the do and see for yourself, it'll go on til quite late-I'm sure you will be pleasantly surprised.....plus it would be good to meet you.

I will try but for the most part of that weekend and following days I'll be in the studio on the other side of the City
We tend to do most of our work starting in the afternoon and working through the night, things just seem to work better than. Apart from the lady concerned only getting in from the USA on the Saturday before the gig, which probably means Jet lag and PMT and god only knows what other moans and groans.

Chorlton
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Postby Chorlton » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:39 am

murnut wrote:Chorlton seem to be a little cranky...I understand the point, just think he went way over the top.
I'm looking forward to the book and the movie

Haha If you think I went over the top, you should have seen my original draft :D I'd probably have been banned immediately.
I just dont think you can re-invent the wheel thats all.

It would be a terribly boring world if we all thought the same, and looked at things from the same angle and perspective.
Though I am a long time sceptic I tend to see things somewhat differently than other sceptics. I was taught that by a dear old man who died quite recently. I NEVER take things at face value, especially where money is involved.

Chorlton
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Postby Tim Hebert » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:52 pm

Mark,

Looking forward to the book. I believe that the possibilities of government "encouragement" of fostering UFOs is an interesting subject. Though proposed in the past, any new take on the subject matter would be refreshing. Besides, my daughter gave me an Amazon gift card and it needs to be put to good use! I still have a month or more of being off my feet due to recent ankle fracture surgery, so a good read is inorder.

Tim
Tim Hebert
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby Zep Tepi » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:56 pm

I've been meaning to mention that I finished this book the weekend before last, which is probably the last time I had any free time on my hands incidentally, and I thoroughly enjoyed it :)

When I have a bit more time I will write a more comprehensive review, but for now I'd say a major plus point for the book is the documented history of counter intelligence in the UFOlogy field. It was fascinating to read and I will be using the book as a reference for some of the older cases. I love Mark's writing style and his personal stories and anecdotes are fantastic additions to the overall feel of the book.

However, I believe far too much credence was given to both Rick Doty and Kit Green in relation to their "duties" and things they have been getting up to since they retired from the AF and CIA respectively. The private enterprise angle wasn't looked at in any great depth so I guess that will have to be down to us here at RU ;)

Beg, borrow or steal a copy if you have to, though it might be easier to just order one from Amazon :)

Two thumbs up from me!
Zep Tepi
1 of the RU3

Postby Chorlton » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:15 am

Zep Tepi wrote:
Beg, borrow or steal a copy if you have to, though it might be easier to just order one from Amazon :)

Or ask the Library to get it. Its cheaper that way

Chorlton
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Postby IsaacKoi » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:10 pm

Zep Tepi wrote:I've been meaning to mention that I finished this book the weekend before last

Ditto.

Zep Tepi wrote:, which is probably the last time I had any free time on my hands incidentally

Ditto.

Zep Tepi wrote:and I thoroughly enjoyed it :)

Ditto.

Zep Tepi wrote:I love Mark's writing style and his personal stories and anecdotes are fantastic additions to the overall feel of the book.

Ditto.

Zep Tepi wrote:However, I believe far too much credence was given to both Rick Doty and Kit Green

Ditto - particularly in relation to Rick Doty (at least on same pages of the book - Mark's view seemed to change considerably on different pages).

Again like you (I really must stop echoing your comments in this post...), I'd like to find the time to write a more comprehensive review - but basically I found the book:

(a) contained a very large element of speculation - much of which I did not agree with, but the book was also

(b) extremely interesting and entertaining. I just wish it was two or three times as long to allow many of the issues to be addressed in greater depth - but this may not have been ideal for a commercial publication aimed at a wider audience...

Overall, it would probably come top of a list of the most thought provoking UFO books I've read in the last year or two.

All the best,

Isaac
IsaacKoi

Previous

Google

Return to UFOs