Moderators: ryguy, chrLz, Zep Tepi

Leslie Kean's New Book is Out

Postby Swamprat » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:19 pm

And is already making a splash!

Technorati

UFOs: Generals, Pilots And Officials Go On The Record

Author: Tim Brosnan
Published: August 10, 2010 at 7:22 am

An Iranian military jet is disabled over Tehran by a brilliant UFO. In Belgium, F-16s are scrambled to intercept another UFO seen by hundreds of witnesses. A 30-minute encounter between yet another UFO and a commercial passenger jet flying over Alaska is documented by the FAA's Chief of Accidents and Investigations.

Veteran journalist Leslie Kean's soon-to-be-released book "UFOs - Generals, Pilots and Government Officials Go On The Record" is, in the words of former CNN science correspondent, "not about beliefs, but about facts ... the most accurate, most credible reports on UFOs you will ever find."

Physicist Michio Kaku calls it "a serious and thoughtful book ... bound to set the gold standard for UFO research.

Find out more about the author and her book, click here: http://ufosontherecord.com/

The book can be purchased on Amazon.

Read more: http://technorati.com/technology/articl ... z0wEnp8Kbg

The Sarasota Herald Tribune

Devoid

August 10th, 2010 11:36am

UFOs On the Record: debunkers beware

by Billy Cox

In a different culture, maybe, and were this any other issue, UFOs: Generals, Pilots, and Government Officials Go On the Record would be a game-changer. And it still could be. The long-anticipated results of Leslie Kean’s 10-year investigation reach retailers today with the sort of pedigree that makes it the most important book on UFOs in a generation.

From the foreword by former Clinton White House chief of staff John Podesta — who reiterates his longstanding contention that any UFO investigation should be transparent — to endorsements by grounded luminaries such as physicist Michio Kaku, UFOs On the Record avoids New Age hokum and will expose debunkers as willfully uninformed, dishonest and/or 100 percent irrelevant.

Readers who’ve followed Kean’s work will know she draws most heavily from the watershed 2007 press conference she staged with documentary filmmaker James Fox. That’s when an international cast of characters — the impeccably credentialed subjects of the book’s subtitle — convened in Washington to urge the U.S. to reopen its scientific investigation of UFOs.

No reason to revisit those details here; you can check it out at the Coalition for Freedom of Information or at UFOs On the Record. Ten of those panelists, including two pilots who attacked UFOs in jet fighters, contributed to the the book. As well as the former head of the French equivalent of NASA and Brazil’s chief of Air Force operations.

Kean contends “the fundamental problem afflicting true understanding of UFOs is ignorance, not secrecy, and that this ignorance is accepted because it serves a political purpose.” That purpose, she continues, is “to maintain the imperative that we must avoid facing the possibility that any UFOs could be extraterrestrial. For if they were, that would mean that these miraculous craft, vehicles, objects of unknown original — whatever they are — are generated by a more powerful ‘other’ from somewhere else.”

Her reasoning is sharpened by two political science professors, Dr. Alexander Wendt of Ohio State University, and the University of Minnesota’s Dr. Raymond Duvall, who contribute an essay, “Militant Agnosticism and the UFO Taboo.” They make a strong case that “the problem of UFO ignorance is fundamentally political before it is scientific.”

Read more: http://devoid.blogs.heraldtribune.com/1 ... l&tc=pgall

As a side note: Kean will be on The Joiner Report this Friday night.
Swamprat

Re: Leslie Kean's New Book is Out

Postby You Can Call Me Ray » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:28 pm

Swamprat wrote:Her reasoning is sharpened by two political science professors, Dr. Alexander Wendt of Ohio State University, and the University of Minnesota’s Dr. Raymond Duvall, who contribute an essay, “Militant Agnosticism and the UFO Taboo.” They make a strong case that “the problem of UFO ignorance is fundamentally political before it is scientific.”

Positively AMAZING that not one, but TWO political science professors would make such a claim! I guess to them all things are political before they are scientific. Way to re-frame the argument to control the discussion, guys. Gold star for your Poli Sci performance! :lol:

Ray
The Universe is an Integrated System. Operational, Functional, and Physical.
You Can Call Me Ray
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Postby murnut » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:48 am

I was a big Kean fan...until an email stream I was involved in a few years ago involving Leslie.
She was more interested in shielding Callahan's "story" than she cared about the truth.
I don't want to believe it, but if she was willing to do that for Callahan, she might be willing to do that for these others in her book.
"The Conformers are hard to read. They are rocks."
murnut
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality

Postby Access Denied » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:52 am

Moved to the UFO forum…

Technorati wrote:An Iranian military jet is disabled over Tehran by a brilliant UFO.

Debunked.

Technorati wrote:In Belgium, F-16s are scrambled to intercept another UFO seen by hundreds of witnesses.

Debunked.

Technorati wrote:A 30-minute encounter between yet another UFO and a commercial passenger jet flying over Alaska is documented by the FAA's Chief of Accidents and Investigations.

Debunked.

Technorati wrote:Physicist Michio Kaku calls it "a serious and thoughtful book ... bound to set the gold standard for UFO research.

Of course he does, he’s on the gravy train and has a vested interest.

Technorati wrote:The book can be purchased on Amazon

Of course it can, the “Coalition for Freedom of Information” is not about freedom of information, it’s about making money.

Moving on to the “Mainstream media’s lonely UFO web log” for good reason if this is how the subject continues to be addressed…

Devoid wrote:From the foreword by former Clinton White House chief of staff John Podesta — who reiterates his longstanding contention that any UFO investigation should be transparent —

They have been, no evidence of ET visitation exists. Does Mr. Podesta have any evidence they haven’t been transparent about that? Didn’t think so… it’s the hoaxers and the charlatans and the people who promote them for profit that aren’t.

Devoid wrote:…UFOs On the Record avoids New Age hokum and will expose debunkers as willfully uninformed, dishonest and/or 100 percent irrelevant.

No comment.

Devoid wrote:Kean contends “the fundamental problem afflicting true understanding of UFOs is ignorance, not secrecy…

True, it’s ignorance of the fact that the U in UFO means unidentified and no objective evidence exists to conclude that any UFO that has ever been reported can be identified as an Alien Spaceship. That people sometimes see things in the sky they can’t identify is not surprising, nor disputed.

Devoid wrote:…and that this ignorance is accepted because it serves a political purpose.”

False, it’s willful ignorance of the fact that numerous scientific studies have been conducted and cases such as those listed above all have alternative explanations (like misperception) that can’t be objectively ruled out based on the available (and highly subjective) evidence… therefore the ET hypothesis is falsified by default.

Sorry Billy, It's not the fault of "debunkers" that the evidence is lacking.

Anyway, I see nothing new here, including the sales pitch…

[yawn]
Men go and come but Earth abides.
Access Denied
1 of the RU3

Postby astrophotographer » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:51 pm

Kean's investigation into Kecksburg was a joke. It was all about headlines and not looking at the data obtained in 1965 from the fireball event that started it all. Kean is NOT a true investigative journalist. She has just found a source of income and way to make herself feel important. Prior to this, she was a nobody. Now she is somebody (at least in UFOlogy's eyes).
astrophotographer
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality

Postby ryguy » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:44 pm

If even half of the research in her book is as shoddy as what Andy and I saw a couple of years ago when we interacted with her ... this will be another book that will require being torn to shreds, one faulty "fact" after another. I swear, our work is never done.
---
"Only a fool of a scientist would dismiss the evidence and reports in front of him and substitute his own beliefs in their place." - Paul Kurtz

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
ryguy
1 of the RU3

Postby mosfet » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:19 pm

swamprat and nyl peas in a pod
mosfet
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby murnut » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:53 pm

mosfet wrote:swamprat and nyl peas in a pod

I'll defend swamprat....he is nothing like nyl

I used to think Kean was highly credible as well, I met her and was impressed.
Only after I scratched the surface did I become less impressed.
She is not the worst offender, but she isn't who I thought she was originally.
murnut
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality

Postby Swamprat » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:49 pm

:lol:

I'll tell you what I think AFTER I read it...... :wink:

Mosfet, I love you too!
Swamprat

Postby mosfet » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:38 pm

Swamprat wrote::lol:

I'll tell you what I think AFTER I read it...... :wink:

Mosfet, I love you too!

up yours
mosfet
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby murnut » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:05 pm

I can't moderate in this thread, but if I could I would just say this...lol.

Full disclosure....I'm friendly with Swamp....I don't believe I've known mosfet long...maybe another name?
Anyway,
I used to really like Kean also, so I'm sympathetic.

There seems to be some bad blood swamp/mosfet

Let's not derail this thread, but if you both want to air your differences, you could start a thread in my board.

But this is RU....the arguments need to be a bit more clever than "up yours"

Back to the book....

I'm curious if there is any new revelations ....it seems to be a rehash of the press conference held in 2007.
There was already a movie about that....

I forget her partners name....the movie was..."I know what I saw"?
murnut
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality

Postby Chorlton » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:52 am

murnut wrote:I'm curious if there is any new revelations ....

Mur this is the same as I responded to about another new publication recently out (and I got slagged off for)
There is NO new information, simply rehashes of the same old stuff, written and published for nothing other than monetary gain.
I have become that which I always despised and feared........Old !

My greatest wish, would be to own my own scrapyard.
Chorlton
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Postby ryguy » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:38 pm

Well, in this case Chorlton, there's a heck of a lot of evidence to support that assumption - I agree with you 100%. Leslie and her group have been a parallel to Greer's Disclosure project, and when evidence came up that could refute one of the witnesses, she attempted to sweep it under the rug.

That will all come out in due time.

Swamprat - 1st of all, you don't need to use much brain power to dig a bit into the person behind the book, and to realize what the agenda is. 2nd of all, this isn't OM, so stop acting like a child. If you have a point, lay it out like an adult.

-Ryan
---
"Only a fool of a scientist would dismiss the evidence and reports in front of him and substitute his own beliefs in their place." - Paul Kurtz

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
ryguy
1 of the RU3

Postby Swamprat » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:58 pm

"2nd of all, this isn't OM, so stop acting like a child. If you have a point, lay it out like an adult."

Ryan, I'm confused. Where did I act like a child? I'm not aware that I attempted to make any point--I was just sharing what comments I had run across regarding Kean's book. (Which I hadn't yet received.) I was neither condemning nor praising it.

Can we not simply share information we run across? Must all posts on RU be "point/counter-point"??

Please; if I don't belong here, just say so.

Swamprat
Swamprat

Postby ryguy » Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:51 am

Swamprat wrote:
"2nd of all, this isn't OM, so stop acting like a child. If you have a point, lay it out like an adult."

Ryan, I'm confused. Where did I act like a child? I'm not aware that I attempted to make any point--I was just sharing what comments I had run across regarding Kean's book. (Which I hadn't yet received.) I was neither condemning nor praising it.

My mistake - I was actually directing that comment at mosfet for writing a two word post of "up yours." That was childish.

Sorry for the confusion.

-Ryan
---

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
ryguy
1 of the RU3

Next

Google

Return to UFOs