UFO books, best of, required reading, etc?

General UFO stories

Moderators: ryguy, chrLz, Zep Tepi

UFO books, best of, required reading, etc?

Postby Count » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:01 pm

Recently there has been some discussion (even a bit heated, IMO) about the two new UFO books mentioned here at RU. Chorlton seems to be of the opinion that the books in question don't bring anything new to the readers.

I'd like to know, what are the best UFO books a) of all time and b) currently in print.

As I see it, it may be that a new book doesn't bring anything new for old hands like Chorlton, but if the older books are already out of print and hard to find, then it surely won't hurt to explain it all again to new, younger audiences? Even if there would be some financial gain involved?

As a side note, I've purchased some books that rehash same stuff over and over again and who reference older books (even by the same author!) about the same subject without going to either primary sources or original research. Those are books that I'm trying to avoid, but sometimes it's not readily apparent from the description.
Count

Re: UFO books, best of, required reading, etc?

Postby MikeJamieson » Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:10 pm

I'd like to know, what are the best UFO books a) of all time and b) currently in print.

~ The encyclopedic volumes published by Jerome Clark

~The study by Peter Sturrock and other scientists

~real early works by Jim and Coral Lorenzen, cataloguing early reports of eyewitness encounters with apparent non humans and their unusual craft

~Communion by Whitley Strieber

~Intruders by Budd Hopkins

These are some, and somewhat dated examples of good reads (that might be helpful).

What we seem to have is at least one main species of extraterrestrials, with at least one clearly identified agenda involving human genetics. You might want to study books related to UFO waves, with the Hudson Valley sightings of about 30 years ago possibly a good subject to read on. In March 1992, while Ed and I had a table at zero point on the White House ellipse (across street from backside of White House, facing Washington monument), I had a good witness---a uniformed secret service agent visiting on his break---describe to me in detail the craft that he and others saw one night, close up and overhead. Simply put, what he described was likely not manufactured here! This was part of that wave.
MikeJamieson
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality

Postby astrophotographer » Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:55 am

To me the best UFO book ever written is probably Allan Hendry's UFO handbook. While all the others tell stories about UFOs that are great to read, they don't inform or instruct. Hendry's book is about UFO investigations. He describes how to do them and all the problems he encountered while he was investigating UFOs at CUFOS. Unfortunately, it is out of print. HOWEVER, I have two copies and I scanned one to create a rather large PDF file that fits on a CD, which I can mail to interested parties.
astrophotographer
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality

Postby Chorlton » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:11 am

MikeJamieson wrote:
What we seem to have is at least one main species of extraterrestrials, with at least one clearly identified agenda involving human genetics.

I beg your pardon ?? Are you having a laugh? extracting the urine? Having a wind-up day?
Or has John Lear reappeared with another name?
I have become that which I always despised and feared........Old !

My greatest wish, would be to own my own scrapyard.
Chorlton
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Postby Chorlton » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:14 am

astrophotographer wrote:To me the best UFO book ever written is probably Allan Hendry's UFO handbook. While all the others tell stories about UFOs that are great to read, they don't inform or instruct. Hendry's book is about UFO investigations. He describes how to do them and all the problems he encountered while he was investigating UFOs at CUFOS. Unfortunately, it is out of print. HOWEVER, I have two copies and I scanned one to create a rather large PDF file that fits on a CD, which I can mail to interested parties.

Probably the only one I would recommend too. Strangely its still available in the UK on Amazon
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ufo-Handbook-In ... 0385143486

Chorlton
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Postby MikeJamieson » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:21 am

Re: Peter Sturrock: some interesting history and information in this wiki article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_A._Sturrock

Nurse Chorlton, will you put me on the bedpan now?
MikeJamieson
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality

Postby Access Denied » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:56 am

MikeJamieson wrote:~ The encyclopedic volumes published by Jerome Clark

Probably the best written and comprehensive historical record available from what I’ve heard. The again, I’m not really into stamp collecting… :)

MikeJamieson wrote:~The study by Peter Sturrock and other scientists

You mean this one?

Physical Evidence Related to UFO Reports
http://www.scientificexploration.org/jo ... urrock.pdf

“Concerning the case material presented by the investigators, the panel concluded
that a few reported incidents may have involved rare but significant phenomena
such as electrical activity, but there was no convincing evidence pointing to unknown
physical processes or to the involvement of extraterrestrial intelligence.”

MikeJamieson wrote:~real early works by Jim and Coral Lorenzen, cataloguing early reports of eyewitness encounters with apparent non humans and their unusual craft

~Communion by Whitley Strieber

~Intruders by Budd Hopkins

Probably the least helpful reads in my opinion.

MikeJamieson wrote:What we seem to have is at least one main species of extraterrestrials, with at least one clearly identified agenda involving human genetics.

What makes you say that?

MikeJamieson wrote:… I had a good witness---a uniformed secret service agent visiting on his break---describe to me in detail the craft that he and others saw one night, close up and overhead. Simply put, what he described was likely not manufactured here!

And you believed him? :)

Anyway, I’ve read lots of UFO books, this is the only one I didn’t throw away…

The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Demon-Haunted_World
http://www.amazon.com/Demon-Haunted-Wor ... 0345409469

$0.02
Men go and come but Earth abides.
Access Denied
1 of the RU3

Postby ryguy » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:46 pm

I enjoyed Hopkins as well as David M. Jacobs : "The THREAT: Revealing the Secret Alien Agenda"
With that said, I also liked "Ufo Abductions: A Dangerous Game" by Klass

I've also read:
- "The Interrupted Journey" - the story of Betty and Barney Hill
- The Allagash Abductions: Undeniable Evidence of Alien Intervention (because I grew up where it happened)
- The Day After Roswell by Philip J. Corso
- Messengers of Deception: UFO Contacts and Cults by Jacques Vallee
...to name just a few off the top of my head.

To answer the opening question - I wouldn't recommend a single one of the books that I've read. LOL.

I didn't close a single one of these books thinking to myself, "Yup...that explains it! Case closed."

I enjoy reading insight from the two extremes - skeptics and believers - but I find both sides inflexible, they ignore contradicting evidence, and they are too confident when they shouldn't be. But it sure doesn't stop people from writing books and claiming that they have answers (or that they've completely debunked something), doesn't it...

A truly scientific mind, is one that is both open and closed at the same time. Open to (almost) everything - even those possibilities that contradict what we currently suspect - and closed, as a shield from the mundane, moronic, idiotic and mentally ill theories, stories, myths and legends that float around humanity like putrid litter escaping from sick minds. Contamination. We each need to be our own personal filter...who decides? You do.

Open your mind too much, and you'll get sick too - any of us will. But close it too much - well, that's a whole other kind of sickness that's probably even worse.

I'd suggest reading everything you can get your hands on - every book, even the most insane, has information that could help you so long as you practice due diligence with every single "fact" the author offers. Believe nothing they say until you've confirmed it's true. 9 times out of 10, you will find that the author "took liberties" in order to dramatize the information. It's sad but true.

**Ryan looks around,then looks down at the soapbox under his feet**

Oops...sorry everyone.

**Ryan jumps off, throws the soapbox to the next guy in line, puts his hands in his pockets and walks back into the crowd.***

-Ryan
---
"Only a fool of a scientist would dismiss the evidence and reports in front of him and substitute his own beliefs in their place." - Paul Kurtz

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
ryguy
1 of the RU3

Postby longhaircowboy » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:02 pm

Just off the top o'my head-
The UFO Enigma, Peter Sturrock
Out There, Howard Blum
The Mammoth UFO Encyclopedia, Can't remember who(hey when ya get old the memory ain't what it used to be)
Anything by Jennie Randle
Save a horse, ride a cowboy.

Memory...is an internal rumor.
George Santayana
longhaircowboy
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby Chorlton » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:28 am

MikeJamieson wrote:
What we seem to have is at least one main species of extraterrestrials, with at least one clearly identified agenda involving human genetics.

Still waiting for a Reply to this allegation

Chorlton
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Postby Frank Stalter » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:14 pm

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Frank Stalter

Postby DoomsdayRex » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:31 pm

Project Beta by Greg Bishop and The Mirage Men by Mark Pilkington. If the UFO community wasn't already paranoid enough, this shows how these books show how the government plays on that paranoia and how it actively promotes the belief in UFOs for its own ends.

Cult of the Alien Gods by Jason Colavito. It is a history of belief in ancient astronauts and details its origins in the works of HP Lovecraft.

Frauds, Myths and Mysteries: Science and Pseudoscience in Archaeology by Kenneth L. Feder. The title explains it best.

Lonely Planets by David Grinspoon. An excellent primer on astrobiology and how mainstream science views alien life.
If anyone can show me and prove to me that I am wrong in thought or deed I will gladly change. I seek the truth which never yet hurt anybody. It is only persistence in self-delusion and ignorance which does harm. -- Marcus Aurelias
DoomsdayRex
In Search of Reality
In Search of Reality

Postby Slippery Jim » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:31 pm

There are some classics available to download free here:

http://nicap.org/onlinebooks.htm

and here:

http://www.hyper.net/ufo/docs.html

Hope you find something that is of interest to you there.
You couldn't find your own arse with two hands, a map and Google!
Slippery Jim
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby the|exx » Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:58 am

Slippery Jim wrote:There are some classics available to download free here:

http://nicap.org/onlinebooks.htm

and here:

http://www.hyper.net/ufo/docs.html

Hope you find something that is of interest to you there.

Thanks Slippery Jim! Lots of good reading there for sure mate!

|exx :wink:
They're coming to take me away, Ha-Haaah!
- Dan Burisch
the|exx
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby pigswillfly » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:42 pm

Much appreciated info. :)
pigswillfly
In Search of Reality
In Search of Reality

Next

Google

Return to UFOs