Motion triggered camera captures UFO

General UFO stories

Moderators: ryguy, chrLz, Zep Tepi

Motion triggered camera captures UFO

Postby MikeJamieson » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:06 pm

The news article from the tv broadcast shows the picture (nighttime); this is on some sort of hunter's preserve or land:

http://www.wcsh6.com/news/watercooler/story.aspx?storyid=125479&catid=108

Now....this one seems to be unusual, no?
MikeJamieson
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality

Re: Motion triggered camera captures UFO

Postby Tim Hebert » Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:10 am

Mike,

Looked at the video clip showing the camera stills. Obvious that there is something in the background. What it is or what caused it is difficult to tell based upon the small screen. Enlargement and enhancement would help. It would also have been a benefit if the exact cameras where put back inplace on a subsequent night to see if the image reappears. This might rule out lens defect or internal recording artifact. Also, an independent look see at the exact location to verify that the surrounding area is indeed only trees and open land. Of course this is me being an "armchair" debunker in California commenting on an event in Texas.

Kind of reminds me of that History Channel "Monster Quest"? episode about "Rods". The two investigators were able to show that "rods" were flying insects caught in the field of view of the cameras. Could this be "the rod effect" that was captured on film?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/rod_(cryptozoology)

http://www.opendb.com/sol/seq.htm

Tim

Edit: Added links
Tim Hebert
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby Access Denied » Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:35 pm

“freelance_zenarchist” posted this on ATS…

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thr ... pid9477401

Notice there is a deer in every pic so the “UFO” is not what triggered the motion capture otherwise there would pics of just the “UFO”. Also, the “UFO’ is in relatively the same location every time which, together with this last point, leads me to conclude it’s always there (at least on the night in question) so it must be a “fixture” of this particular camera setup.

The comments on this local Dallas-Fort Worth news site suggest it’s a row of IR LEDs commonly used in cameras of this type for illumination being reflected in the protective lens cover (dome?)…

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/weird/Did-Ga ... 42409.html

However, as you’ll notice above, it’s not in exactly the same spot each time. This suggests the window in the (extra?) enclosure the camera is in is not rigid (clear plastic?) or the camera (or window?) is moving slightly (due to wind?) between shots. Also, another comment suggests it’s a spider web strand in front of the camera. This would seem to explain why it moves, whether it’s inside the enclosure or out.

[shrugs]

In any case, I think we can safely drop the F out UFO and I don’t buy Lisa Brock-Piekarski's story when she says…

"What I see looks almost like a Frisbee," she said. "You see a several lights going around, and they're all symmetrical and lit up, and it just looks like an object in the sky."

And…

"It's creepy," Brock-Piekarski said. "I don't know if I want to be sitting out in my deer stand by my self anymore, hunting."

She’s obviously looking for some attention. (and got it)

I call hoax…

(yes, I really have become that cynical… the stupid, it burns)

“Timestamps on several pictures also show that the object hovered in the air for almost two hours.”
Men go and come but Earth abides.
Access Denied
1 of the RU3

Postby DrDil » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:15 pm

Access Denied wrote:“freelance_zenarchist” posted this on ATS…

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thr ... pid9477401

Notice there is a deer in every pic so the “UFO” is not what triggered the motion capture otherwise there would pics of just the “UFO”. Also, the “UFO’ is in relatively the same location every time which, together with this last point, leads me to conclude it’s always there (at least on the night in question) so it must be a “fixture” of this particular camera setup.

The comments on this local Dallas-Fort Worth news site suggest it’s a row of IR LEDs commonly used in cameras of this type for illumination being reflected in the protective lens cover (dome?)…

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/weird/Did-Ga ... 42409.html

However, as you’ll notice above, it’s not in exactly the same spot each time. This suggests the window in the (extra?) enclosure the camera is in is not rigid (clear plastic?) or the camera (or window?) is moving slightly (due to wind?) between shots. Also, another comment suggests it’s a spider web strand in front of the camera. This would seem to explain why it moves, whether it’s inside the enclosure or out.

<snip>

I’m fairly certain this isn’t a ‘rod’ we’re looking at Tim but I’m also certain it’s not a hoax in the real sense of the word AD, mainly as I don’t believe the deception is intentional.

My money is on the row of <14> LEDs reflecting off the inside of the lens (housing) as has already been mentioned elsewhere and as pointed out by elevenaugust on Casebook. It is known that the model of camera has an unusual feature of 14 LEDs in a row (rather than the usual 12). Also as the LEDs are positioned in rows consisting of five rows of 14 LEDs which *IF* they operate in a multiplex system would account for the change in vertical orientation, however it still doesn’t explain (yet) the shift in horizontal orientation but I have a feeling this is a small flaw in an otherwise satisfactory explanation.

Cheers.
DrDil
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby Access Denied » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:20 pm

DrDil wrote:... but I’m also certain it’s not a hoax in the real sense of the word AD, mainly as I don’t believe the deception is intentional.

Fair enough, I'll defer to your perhaps more rational judgement on that issue... :)

I can see someone getting maybe a little too excited about this at first... or someone else causing them to.
Access Denied
1 of the RU3

Postby ryguy » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:24 pm

For what it's worth,

I've seen this photographic effect countless time in ghosthunter "evidence" - it's a trick of lighting and a sort of lens flare due to the reflection of light back off of metallic or reflective objects. There were two things I instantly noticed from these shots that give it away.

1. The fence in the background with vertical slats almost identical in distance (and size) to the light effect displayed above.
2. The change in lighting in the sky corresponds to a perfect circular movement of the light pattern.
3. As noted previously, the deer triggered the camera, not any other object.

Preliminary analysis: A combination of the movement of the moon in the sky and the reflectivity of the fence created this photographic anomaly. Further proof of this is how the anomaly changes position ever so slightly in a circular pattern as time passes, the moon moves to a different angle in the sky, and the snapshot captures that movement as the anomaly shifts position. Interesting to note that as daylight approaches, the anomaly fades as light from the daylight sky overshadows the lighting effect.

A lot of weird s^~t happens to your pictures when you take photos in the dark. If it's night vision, then as previously noted, IR introduces a whole other slew of possible anomalies. If anyone out there is calling this a UFO, they're idiots. Plain and simple.

-Ry
---
"Only a fool of a scientist would dismiss the evidence and reports in front of him and substitute his own beliefs in their place." - Paul Kurtz

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
ryguy
1 of the RU3

Postby DrDil » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:10 pm

ryguy wrote:For what it's worth,

I've seen this photographic effect countless time in ghosthunter "evidence" - it's a trick of lighting and a sort of lens flare due to the reflection of light back off of metallic or reflective objects. There were two things I instantly noticed from these shots that give it away.

1. The fence in the background with vertical slats almost identical in distance (and size) to the light effect displayed above.
2. The change in lighting in the sky corresponds to a perfect circular movement of the light pattern.
3. As noted previously, the deer triggered the camera, not any other object.

Preliminary analysis: A combination of the movement of the moon in the sky and the reflectivity of the fence created this photographic anomaly. Further proof of this is how the anomaly changes position ever so slightly in a circular pattern as time passes, the moon moves to a different angle in the sky, and the snapshot captures that movement as the anomaly shifts position. Interesting to note that as daylight approaches, the anomaly fades as light from the daylight sky overshadows the lighting effect.

A lot of weird s^~t happens to your pictures when you take photos in the dark. If it's night vision, then as previously noted, IR introduces a whole other slew of possible anomalies. If anyone out there is calling this a UFO, they're idiots. Plain and simple.

-Ry

You could be right Ryan.

This was the model of camera and the IR LEDs highlighted:

This is a different & unrelated image from a different location found online using the same camera where the anomaly is present:

Here’s a gif of a YouTube video from last year which was reported on the News and also has a similar anomaly:

This is what led to the multiplexer theory, i.e. that the IR LEDs fire in rows depending on the settings.
(All above images courtesy of *Elevenaugust*)

And here’s an image of a different IR setup altogether but in which you can see a reflection that is thought to be similar to what we are seeing in the other image:

Regardless of how it occured I agree about the (un)importance of it as I fear the conclusion is the one thing that remains the same..... :D

Cheers.
DrDil
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby jeddyhi » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:10 pm

I've read research into this type of picture (maybe at OM) last year I believe. The effects are caused by long thin strands of spider web catching the light and reflecting it back producing the anomoly. That is why the time stamps showed it being present for hours but disappearing at sun rise. The subtle movement is simply the strand moving in the breeze.
jeddyhi
Reality Is In Sight
Reality Is In Sight

Postby murnut » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:19 pm

I've become extremely impressed with the work elevenaugust is doing.

He is a definetely asset to the online community.

I don't follow the drone saga anymore, but I'm curious what his opinion is now of that saga
"The Conformers are hard to read. They are rocks."
murnut
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality

Postby Access Denied » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:31 am

Agreed Andy.

ryguy wrote:If anyone out there is calling this a UFO, they're idiots. Plain and simple.

I wasn’t going to say anything but apparently Mark Pilkington was "mystified" enough to mention this on his "Mirage Men" blog and use the opportunity to plug Rich Dolan’s new book/site…

Deer diary: an accidental UFO

[note the Dolan and Co. branded image]

One day I hope a photographic art gallery will run an exhibition of UFO photos, and if they do, I would want to see this one in it.

It captures a moment of pure otherness, the deer staring straight at us with its luminous eyes and [apparently, see update below] behind it… the thing. The deer soon wandered off to do whatever deer do, but it apparently maintained its position above the tree line for around two hours

[...]

More images from the series, and daylight shots from the same camera, can be seen over at After Disclosure.

Any guesses as to what it might be?

To his credit he updated his post after a commenter made an “eminently sensible suggestion” but nevertheless, I find the apparent nepotism at work a little discouraging.

However, Dolan’s “analysis” is truly disturbing…

Like a UFO Caught in the Headlights?

["After" Disclosure, did I miss something?]

It's a new kind of UFO photo -- one that strips away the fallibility of humans who can lie or perform miracles with Photoshop. We've been working on the pages in A.D. After Disclosure that deal with photos as evidence, finding that they are more prevalent than ever before, but, at the same time, far less trusted. Then along comes something like this one out of Texas

It's a photo taken by a motion-activated camera that uses infrared instead of a flash. This means there is no human operating it, that there are multiple other photos from the same location to compare it to, and there is a sense of event length associated with the time-stamped photos. At early first glance, this one appears to be either a picture of some advanced and unknown military aircraft or something made by somebody besides... well... us. On the other hand, given that we are talking about lights being seen but no visible structure, there are multiple possible explanations for it, especially if activity on chat boards is any indication. We hope it gets looked into properly but, in the meantime, we invite you to see for yourself.

[…]

Obviously, these photos are going to raise some issues. So far, the nearby Sheppard Air Force Base isn't talking on the record as to whether this might be one of theirs or not.

And, without truly attempting to draw any conclusion here, we also note that while it is not identical to the recent Chinese airport shutdown UFO photos, it does appear to possibly be of the same type. The Xiaoshan Airport UFO obviously had a searchlight and a brightly lit underbelly. But the idea of a lighted row of windows, that's intact in both sightings.

Really? Windows with “no visible structure”… :roll:

Meet the new Ufology, same as the old Ufology?
Access Denied
1 of the RU3

Postby DrDil » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:13 pm

jeddyhi wrote:I've read research into this type of picture (maybe at OM) last year I believe. The effects are caused by long thin strands of spider web catching the light and reflecting it back producing the anomoly. That is why the time stamps showed it being present for hours but disappearing at sun rise. The subtle movement is simply the strand moving in the breeze.

That’s exactly what I initially thought Jed complete with dew drops, but with the appearance of the same anomaly in an unrelated set of images & a completely different location (but same camera) coupled with the other new images which show the IRs apparently lighting up in columns rather than rows then I personally found this theory a lot more compelling than the strand of a spiders web theory.

murnut wrote:I've become extremely impressed with the work elevenaugust is doing.

He is a definetely asset to the online community.

I don't follow the drone saga anymore, but I'm curious what his opinion is now of that saga

I agree Mur and I’ve spoke with him privately when working on other images several months ago and also more recently relayed and echoed what you wrote about him being the ‘go-to’ guy.

I didn’t raise the Drone images with him although on the (allegedly) photo-shopped name-tag thread I congratulated him then commented that his recent work only compounded my confusion over his theories regarding the Drone images.

Access Denied wrote:
<snip>

Really? Windows with “no visible structure”… :roll:

Meet the new Ufology, same as the old Ufology?

And Ufology will eat itself….. :D

Cheers.
DrDil
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby DrDil » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:18 pm

(31st August 2010)

After analysis of the photo by the Mutual UFO Network (MUFON), an investigative organization, Villafranca reported Aug. 30 that "The odd lights hovering over the North Texas sky snapped by a motion-activated game camera weren't from outer space. UFO investigators with the Mutual UFO Network say it was just a camera problem."

MUFON's Fletcher L. Gray told Villafranca that the camera itself resulted in the odd photo. "For some unknown reason, the camera shutter was remaining open, and the infrared strobe fired it would catch a bank of lights. The strobe has 14 LED-type bulbs across and with five bulbs vertical, with a total of 70 LED bulbs. If you look at the photo of what was called a UFO, you will count 14 lights that matches the 14 bulbs in the camera."

Source.
DrDil
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby ryguy » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:23 pm

Excellent.

Nice to see that sane analysis from MUFON.

-Ryan
---
"Only a fool of a scientist would dismiss the evidence and reports in front of him and substitute his own beliefs in their place." - Paul Kurtz

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
ryguy
1 of the RU3

Google

Return to UFOs