UFO Hero of the Week

General UFO stories

Moderators: ryguy, chrLz, Zep Tepi

UFO Hero of the Week

Postby DoomsdayRex » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:48 am

In light of there being a thread dedicated to the UFO whackjob of the week, perhaps we should have a thread dedicated to the UFO Hero of the week, someone who betters our understanding of the phenomenon or helps fight much of the ignorance surrounding it.

Who would you nominate?

Considering the amount of garbage in the field, is it even possible to have one of the week? Or would fortnight and months be more practical?
If anyone can show me and prove to me that I am wrong in thought or deed I will gladly change. I seek the truth which never yet hurt anybody. It is only persistence in self-delusion and ignorance which does harm. -- Marcus Aurelias
DoomsdayRex
In Search of Reality
In Search of Reality

Re: UFO Hero of the Week

Postby the|exx » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:18 am

There aren't that many hero's in ratio to the charlatans so I'm not sure how much mileage we can get out of this.. LOL! [/joke]

It's funny that people I would have nominated 10 years ago... maybe even five years ago wouldn't get a mention now. I used to be less sceptical when I was younger I guess. There are people that I feel are doing a great job for differing reasons, but I'm not sure I can call them hero's.

I think Knapp & Fox have been good from the mainstream perspective... though I was a little disappointed with Fox's latest effort 'I Know What I Saw'. I don't mind Richard Dolan either. The guys books are an interesting read, and although I don't buy everything he says, I think he is trying to be honest. The hardest part in UFOlogy is knowing who to trust. I think that trips people up occasionally.

I definitely have to give a big shout out to the guys from RU; Zeptepi, AccessDenied & Ryguy. When I first came here (which is an interesting story in itself (thanks 3 amigos)) I was completely blown away by their deep research and level of integrity. I've learned more from these guys in the last few years than anywhere else. Kudos guys!

IRM
They're coming to take me away, Ha-Haaah!
- Dan Burisch
the|exx
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby Access Denied » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:59 am

Thank you for that vote of confidence. To that I would say right back at 'ya...

(the both of you, and a whole bunch of other enthusiasts as well)

Anyone who's truly searching for the answers and passionate about the truth is a hero in my book.

Anyway, great idea for a thread. A hero a week is... a good goal. :)

For the last week I think anyone who worked to identify the “California Missile” based on objectively verifiable data is a hero. Nice summary here that includes a contribution by "timewstr" at ATS…

Los Angeles Missile Contrail Explained in Pictures
http://contrailscience.com/los-angeles- ... -pictures/
Men go and come but Earth abides.
Access Denied
1 of the RU3

Postby DoomsdayRex » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:03 pm

That is a great nomination, AD. Contrail Science, et al are definitely the heroes of the week last week.
If anyone can show me and prove to me that I am wrong in thought or deed I will gladly change. I seek the truth which never yet hurt anybody. It is only persistence in self-delusion and ignorance which does harm. -- Marcus Aurelias
DoomsdayRex
In Search of Reality
In Search of Reality

Postby ryguy » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:08 pm

the|exx wrote:I definitely have to give a big shout out to the guys from RU; Zeptepi, AccessDenied & Ryguy. When I first came here (which is an interesting story in itself (thanks 3 amigos)) I was completely blown away by their deep research and level of integrity. I've learned more from these guys in the last few years than anywhere else. Kudos guys!

IRM

Wow - thanks Lexx. Sometimes the work here, in particular, can be tiring and thankless. I work, writing and researching for a list of large and small websites and clients - and the rewards there are purely monetary. Take your paycheck, buy the groceries and move along. But here at RU, a writer really has to dig deep and work from a source of inspiration that goes beyond monetary (a concept that I know each of you understands intimately). It's not easy for me to do that every month, particularly when my family can be so demanding (for example - Christmas coming up)...but somehow we find the time to collaborate on a new project, to hunt down and eradicate the next charlatan on the radar.

We've worked on a number of hoaxes and even when you blow them out of the water with the biggest torpedo you can find - after the hoopla, comment wars and the fall-out dies down....the only reward you're left with is the fact that you've destroyed another hoax and prevented another charlatan from conning a new following of the weak-minded.

That, in and of itself, is motivating...I mean obviously it's a worthy cause. But more than anything, it's comments like the one above, that I live for. Feedback that what we write is processed and appreciated by the intelligent folks out there - and hopefully adds value to their research. That feedback is what inspires me more than anything else.

Actually - I take that back - what inspires me even more is the vision of collaborating with each of you on analyzing, exposing (or confirming) all of the outrageous claims that exist out there in the world. The idea of working with such a highly-intelligent group of folks is the most inspiring thing I could imagine.

So - thank you for that comment. It really makes the hard work worthwhile.

-Ry
---
"Only a fool of a scientist would dismiss the evidence and reports in front of him and substitute his own beliefs in their place." - Paul Kurtz

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
ryguy
1 of the RU3

Postby Zep Tepi » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:14 pm

Absolutely, reading positive comments about the work done here always warms my cockles, so thanks :)

I would love to do this on a full time basis. When I think of the results we have achieved while all of us are holding down jobs and raising families it makes me wonder exactly how much more we could achieve if this was all we did.

...and we haven't even published our report about the biggest hoax ever to hit the field of UFOlogy since the study began.

Sure, we've left hints and clues all over the site (me especially!), but we haven't actually gone public and said this is what has been going on.

If you think our work so far has ruffled a few feathers, you ain't seen nothing yet! ;)

I've been planning on updating the site for the past few weeks - mainly the homepage and blog section, but work and family commitments have always got in the way. For example, I had thought I would be able to make the homepage changes at the weekend, but events conspired to nip that idea in the bud pretty quickly.
The newest addition to my family and future RU investigator, 8 week old Harrison had to go into hospital on Saturday night with breathing dificulties. It turns out he has a pretty common (in babies) respiratory virus called RSV (respiratory syncytial virus) which had hit him pretty hard. Thankfully though, as you can see from the photo below, he is getting better and should be out of the hospital in the next couple of days :)

Harrison, after I told him we're going after some scammers again...

Come in Scammers Inc, your time is up!
Zep Tepi
1 of the RU3

Postby DoomsdayRex » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:50 pm

That is a beautiful little boy, Zep. Glad to hear he is going to be okay; I know what it's like to have a little one like that in the hospital. even for something common. Every moment is a terror.

I think Harrison should definitely get an honorable mention as UFO hero of the week.
DoomsdayRex
In Search of Reality
In Search of Reality

Postby Zep Tepi » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:54 pm

Thanks DoomsdayRex, he's thankfully back at home now. His mother went straight to bed as soon as she got in and she's been fast asleep ever since. Waking up every couple of hours for four nights running has taken its toll on her!

I on the other hand got at least seven hours sleep on each of those nights, but I daren't tell her. Guess who will be doing the night feeds every night from now on...

As for a bonafide UFO hero of the week, I'd like to nominate James Carlson as the recipient of this award for the last few weeks :)

Cheers,
Steve
Zep Tepi
1 of the RU3

Postby ryguy » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:51 pm

Zep Tepi wrote:As for a bonafide UFO hero of the week, I'd like to nominate James Carlson as the recipient of this award for the last few weeks :)

I second that!!!
---
"Only a fool of a scientist would dismiss the evidence and reports in front of him and substitute his own beliefs in their place." - Paul Kurtz

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
ryguy
1 of the RU3

Postby the|exx » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:46 am

Zep Tepi wrote:Thankfully though, as you can see from the photo below, he is getting better and should be out of the hospital in the next couple of days :)
Harrison, after I told him we're going after some scammers again...

Come in Scammers Inc, your time is up!

Great to hear that Harrison is doing well! He looks like a very happy chappy! Did you take that picture Zep? It's a great photo!

|exx
They're coming to take me away, Ha-Haaah!
- Dan Burisch
the|exx
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby Zep Tepi » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:17 am

Thanks |exx! He is normally a very happy chappy, except when he's hungry (and the first few days of his illness) :)
The photo was taken by his mum on her Blackberry.
Zep Tepi
1 of the RU3

Postby ryguy » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:46 pm

Zep Tepi wrote:He is normally a very happy chappy, except when he's hungry

Are you referring to the father or the son? :-)
---

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
ryguy
1 of the RU3

Postby astrophotographer » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:42 pm

Well, for UFO hero of the week, I would to nominate the guy who created this wonderful piece of humor:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O62jCLzylJw
astrophotographer
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality

Postby Tim Hebert » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:44 pm

LMAO! I've seen these parodies before, but not the UFO one.

Tim
Tim Hebert
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby astrophotographer » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:33 pm

Tim Hebert wrote:LMAO! I've seen these parodies before, but not the UFO one.

Tim

I liked the little comment by the girl in the hall telling her friend not to worry because Adolf did not know about their facebook skeptic group!
astrophotographer
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality

Next

Google

Return to UFOs