Revisiting The 1994 Nellis Air Force Base UFO Video

General UFO stories

Moderators: ryguy, chrLz, Zep Tepi

Revisiting The 1994 Nellis Air Force Base UFO Video

Postby Why Not? » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:57 am

Good Evening RU Team…..

For a while now, the 1994 Nellis Air Force Base UFO video has interested me.

It appears to be one of the very few videos that withstands some level of scrutiny.

Further to a very interesting discussion that developed on ATS subsequent to my posting this case, I would be very interested to know the thoughts of the very knowledgeable members that comprise RU.

Here’s a well known version of the video:

Here’s an excerpt from an episode of “Sightings” pertaining to the video.

If it is OK by everybody…..

As I am getting used to RU & this is my first thread, I might “feed” information into the discussion as it develops, rather than create one big "misguided mega post” in the first instance.

Kind regards
Why Not?
Must focus.....
Ignore the junk.....
Ignore the lunatics.....
Why Not?
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Re: Revisiting The 1994 Nellis Air Force Base UFO Video

Postby the|exx » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:22 pm

Why Not? wrote:Good Evening RU Team…..

For a while now, the 1994 Nellis Air Force Base UFO video has interested me.
It appears to be one of the very few videos that withstands some level of scrutiny.

Kind regards
Why Not?

I've always found this footage intriguing and I've had a range of thoughts over what the object is. For a while I thought it may have been some type of radio controlled craft/drone. Is there a transcript of the communications available or are they just too distorted to be transcribed?

|exx
They're coming to take me away, Ha-Haaah!
- Dan Burisch
the|exx
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby the|exx » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:38 pm

Here we go, a partial transcript:

CONTROL: I show an aircraft headed north pretty fast.
OPERATOR 1: I got a helo [slang for helicopter].
FEMALE OP: At eleven?
OPERATOR 1: Yeah, can't figure out where he's at on this thing.
CONTROL: Be advised... We're filled to capacity.
OPERATOR 2: What is that?
OPERATOR 1: I don't know. No idea. A helo?
FEMALE OP: Looks like one. It's way up high no. It's going, like straight up.
OPERATOR 1: We acquired this unknown object. Aircraft of some type. We're going to put a launch up on it anyways, see what happens. It seems to be hovering there. [Gives bearing of UFO]. It appears to be going outbound real slow. There's hardly any range velocity. I don't know if this would impact or not....[Simulated launch occurs.] We have impact. We'll call this a kill on this unknown aircraft. T-1 Control doesn't know what type of aircraft this is either...
OPERATOR 2: That's weird.
OPERATOR 1: Strange.

Link: http://www.ufologie.net/htm/nellis.htm

Looking at this frame, it's easy to see why they thought it may have been a helicopter at high altitude.

|exx
- Dan Burisch
the|exx
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby Why Not? » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:40 pm

The|exx.....

the|exx wrote:Is there a transcript of the communications available or are they just too distorted to be transcribed?

Here is some info for you courtesy of our old mate Internos.

http://www.freewebz.com/aenigmatis/Nellis/clip1.wav
http://www.freewebz.com/aenigmatis/Nellis/clip2.wav
http://www.freewebz.com/aenigmatis/Nellis/clip3.wav
http://www.freewebz.com/aenigmatis/Nellis/clip4.wav
http://www.freewebz.com/aenigmatis/Nellis/clip5.wav
http://www.freewebz.com/aenigmatis/Nellis/clip6.wav

23:20:37
------------
VIDEO COMMENCES

23:20:41
External Controller
"[unintelligible] ... point zero at this time."

23:20:43
Male Controller
"Its a helicopter!"

23:20:45
Female Controller
"Aaah!"

23:20:48
Male Controller
"That's why its so slow."

23:20:49
Female Controller
"Might be some kind of debris."

23:20:52
Female Controller
"It's not much more than a round dot, but it looks different to most dots."

23:21:10
[BREAK IN SOUNDTRACK]

23:21:11
External Controller
"[unintelligible] ..two zero...one one zero level, okay...heading North at this time."

23:21:23
Female Controller
"Got any ideas what it is?"

23:21:24
Male Controller
"I got a helo!"

23:21:26
Female Controller
"You've got a helicopter?"

23:21:27
Male Controller
"Yeah - can't get a result on these things!"

23:21:29
External Controller
"[unintelligible]... two five two ...[unintelligible]"

23:21:34
Male Controller
"I don't know what the hell that is - that's a helo, isn't it?"

23:21:39
Male Controller
"[chuckle] ... What is that? I don't know! ... I've no idea!"

23:21:42
External Controller
"[unintelligible] ... flight level ... [unintelligible simultaneous talking]"

23:21:47
Female Controller
"Looks like one. Right up high now, goin' like .. straight up!"

23:21:53
Male Controller
"Its a balloon, ain't it? I don't know what the hell that is, man!"

23:21:58
Female Controller
"I think it's a helicopter."

23:22:00
Male Controller
"[unintelligible] ... forget it! ... data on him."

23:22:04
Female Controller
"Straight up, boy!"

23:22:05
Male Controller
"I'm outta here!"

23:22:06
Female Controller
"Oh, okay."

23:22:07
Male Controller
"What the hell is it? ... I'm gonna lose it in the sun, [unintelligible]"

23:22:19
Male Controller
[unintelligible]

23:22:21
Female Controller
"Call sign?"

23:22:23
Male Controller
"Err ... I don't even know what it is!"

23:22:26
Female Controller
[unintelligible]

23:22:28
Male Controller
"Must be at eleven thousand feet a minute." (?)

23:22:33
Female Controller
"It's weird-lookin'!"

23:22:34
Male Controller
[unintelligible]

23:22:40
[? DOOR CREAKING]

23:22:41
External Controller
"[unintelligible] .. non-FLIR!" (?)

23:22:47
External Controller
"Non-FLIR!" (?)

23:22:54
Female Controller
"See him?" (?)

23:22:57
External Controller
"[unintelligible] ... non-FLIR, non-FLIR!" (?)
[Note: FLIR = Forward-Looking Infrared radar]

23:23:05
Female Controller
"See him?" (?)

23:23:14
------------
SOUNDTRACK ENDS

Kind regards
Why Not?
Must focus.....
Ignore the junk.....
Ignore the lunatics.....
Why Not?
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby Why Not? » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:47 pm

The|exx.....

It looks like "our" transcripts are at variance.

I will look at that & the "drone" issue tomorrow.

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not
Must focus.....
Ignore the junk.....
Ignore the lunatics.....
Why Not?
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby the|exx » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:49 pm

There are a few minor discrepancies between the transcripts. Interesting. I just contacted Internos and asked him to come to RU to discuss this topic. Hopefully he will pay us a visit... though I know he was also taking a break from this stuff for a while. Fingers crossed!

|exx
- Dan Burisch
the|exx
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby internos » Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:41 pm

the|exx, many thanks for letting me know about this thread.
As i did once somewhere else, i'll try to post some screen-grabs in syncro with some of the relevant parts of the transcript

23:20:43
Male Controller
"Its a helicopter!"

23:20:49
Female Controller
"Might be some kind of debris."

External Controller
"[unintelligible] ..two zero...one one zero level, okay...heading North at this time."

23:21:24
Male Controller
"I got a helo!"

23:21:34
Male Controller
"I don't know what the hell that is - that's a helo, isn't it?"

23:21:47
Female Controller
"Looks like one. Right up high now, goin' like .. straight up!"

23:21:58
Female Controller
"I think it's a helicopter."

23:22:07
Male Controller
"What the hell is it? ... I'm gonna lose it in the sun, [unintelligible]"

23:22:21
Female Controller
"Call sign?"

23:22:23
Male Controller
"Err ... I don't even know what it is!"

23:22:28
Male Controller
"Must be at eleven thousand feet a minute." (?)

23:22:41
External Controller
"[unintelligible] .. non-FLIR!" (?)

23:22:54
Female Controller
"See him?" (?)

23:23:05
Female Controller
"See him?" (?)

Thanks to the points of reference visible at the start of the footage (Black Mountain's domes), the location was later positively identified by Martin J. Powell ( http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mjpowell/Nellis/Part1/Part1.htm ) as tonopah test range http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonopah_Test_Range

In my humble opinion, even according to what we hear in the video, they failed to identify it: and since it was flying, we can call it an UFO, until/unless proven to have been identified beyond doubts. They sound to be very confused about the appearance of the object, and their possible explanations during the video switched from Helicopter to Balloon to Debris within a couple of minutes, which isn't exactly what I'd call some conclusive explanation: all that it proves is that they were VERY confused. This is possibly one of the most Unidentified Flying Object I've ever seen.
Thanks again,

internos
internos

Postby astrophotographer » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:05 pm

I always thought this was some sort of test vehicle. Exactly what kind of test vehicle is unknown and it appears the operators were unaware of what it was. It definitely is an "Unidentified" at this point. However, I think it is man-made.
astrophotographer
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality

Postby chrLz » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:49 pm

Just a passing comment - I confess that while it is very interesting I haven't taken the necessary time to dig deeply - the thing that fascinates me about this is the provenance.. or lack thereof. How exactly has the video and audio been authenticated?

In particular, I find the content of the audio is er.. um.. a little odd. Professional is probably not the first word that springs to mind.. I mean, are these trained military observers, following a procedure... or is it the night staff at the local Acme Security Services? :roll:
"To wear the mantle of Galileo, it is not enough that you be persecuted by an unkind establishment. You must also be right." - Robert L. Park (..almost)
chrLz

Postby Access Denied » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:47 pm

Why Not? wrote:For a while now, the 1994 Nellis Air Force Base UFO video has interested me.

It’s certainly very strange looking isn’t it?

As far as the transcripts go, I’m sure you all have seen this before but David “victims of the wreck” Rudiak has a comparison of transcripts here that I think is an interesting example of confirmation bias…

Nellis S-30 UFO Transcripts
http://roswellproof.homestead.com/Nelli ... ripts.html

[First: Sightings, Second: Powell, Third: Rudiak]

23:20:41
"Figure out what it is? This time..."
"[unintelligible] ... point zero at this time."
"Copy 9-1. Its signature (?) they don't want to say at this time."

"I show an aircraft heading North pretty fast.
"Copy 9-1. Show helicopter ...zero one one zero... Helo (?) headed North at this time."

23:21:29
"Be advised...We're filled to capacity"
"[unintelligible]... two five two ...[unintelligible]"
"Now past (?) five point two five two ...up with the country." (??)

Is that a baby crying I hear in the background at one point?

Also, of particular interest to me is this footnote to Martin Powell’s analysis of the video…

The Nellis UFO, Part Three: Performance Capabilities
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mjpowell/N ... /Part3.htm

3. I have a near-complete copy of the S-30 footage, lasting 2 minutes and 38 seconds. Unfortunately there is no indication in this footage as to the unit of measurement used for the range data display. Whilst most researchers have assumed the range to be in metres (as has the author) there are good grounds to consider the possibility that the units may be in feet. If this should be the case, then all sizes, speeds and rates of climb given in the text will be a third of the stated value or, more precisely, the value in metres divided by 3.281. [Note added April 2007: The author has now acquired complete copies of the S-30 and S-13 videos. The soundtrack of S-13 confirms that the range units are in metres.]

Unfortunately the former Range Rat I worked with who manned these and could confirm this has moved on but I’m pretty sure the range units would be in feet. If my working hypothesis is correct, specifically that this video is unlikely to have been classified and “smuggled out” and the voices we are hearing on the tape were recorded over it, then that can’t be considered confirmation. Given range telemetry would be a very tight knit group, it seems unlikely anyone would risk their career to “smuggle out” a classified video. The list of likely suspects would be very short indeed.

Reasons to doubt the voices are original are as follows…

1. The fixed location cinetheodolites I’m familiar with are manned by a single person who rides in it much like a gun turret and it’s unlikely for anyone else to be around to chat with. As I understand it, they are in direct communication with the source of the radar data and only monitor range control.

http://www.patrick.af.mil/shared/media/ ... 2M-066.JPG

(as my friend used to say, you better be on the target before you switch to automatic or you’re going to be in for some serious whiplash)

2. Cinetheodolites (fixed or mobile) are only manned during scheduled flight tests or training exercises so it seems unlikely for this to be an unexpected “unknown”.

3. I see no immediate reason for any audio other than the singular voice of the range controller to be recorded in real-time along with the raw video, if that, and typically more than one tracking station is involved in a flight test.

Given the questionable (i.e. zero) provenance of the video and the very unprofessional sounding “speculation” that sounds to me like it was recorded over it, I’m not sure we can rule out a hoax in that respect.

In conclusion, assuming the video itself is genuine and hasn’t been tampered with, my best guess is this a free-floating cluster of balloons based on the following…

1. If the range reported is indeed in feet, the estimated size (10 ft. as opposed to 30 ft.) seems consistent with common meteorological balloons at these low altitudes.

2. The apparent difficulty with tracking the object on radar seems consistent with a smaller object without the aid of radar reflecting surfaces.

3. The trajectory of the object seems fairly random and consistent with a free-floating object traveling in the direction of the prevailing winds.

Yes that's right, I said it... weather balloons. :)
Men go and come but Earth abides.
Access Denied
1 of the RU3

Postby the|exx » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:32 am

internos wrote:the|exx, many thanks for letting me know about this thread.
As i did once somewhere else, i'll try to post some screen-grabs in syncro with some of the relevant parts of the transcript

In my humble opinion, even according to what we hear in the video, they failed to identify it: and since it was flying, we can call it an UFO, until/unless proven to have been identified beyond doubts. They sound to be very confused about the appearance of the object, and their possible explanations during the video switched from Helicopter to Balloon to Debris within a couple of minutes, which isn't exactly what I'd call some conclusive explanation: all that it proves is that they were VERY confused. This is possibly one of the most Unidentified Flying Object I've ever seen.
Thanks again,

internos

Internos! Many thanks for coming in my friend. It's always good to see you, and your input has been sorely missed! Hopefully we will see you a bit more :)

AccessDenied wrote:Reasons to doubt the voices are original are as follows…

You raise some very interesting points regarding the possible overdubbing of the audio. It's easy to have ones attention diverted to the video alone, so definitely something I will look at more closely in the future.

AccessDenied wrote:Yes that's right, I said it... weather balloons. :)

At some points in the footage, it does appear to be a cluster of balloons. I guess the amorphous qualities of the object point strongly in that direction... but in saying that, video analysis of poor quality film can be deceptive. I'll reserve my opinion for now but I certainly agree that the object is prosaic in nature.

|exx
- Dan Burisch
the|exx
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby Why Not? » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:29 am

Access Denied.....

Thank you for your thorough & interesting reply.

I am giving thought to the "balloon hypothesis.

I see a problem with that hypothesis that could be worthy of some consideration, as follows.....

If we decrease the performance metrics expounded in the associated reports by a factor of 3 to match the balloon parameters, those performance metrics fall well in excess of those of "balloons blowing around in the wind".

http://roswellproof.com/Nellis_flyover.html

http://roswellproof.com/Nellis_Main.html

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mjpowell/N ... /Part1.htm

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mjpowell/N ... /Part2.htm

Kind regards
Why Not?
Must focus.....
Ignore the junk.....
Ignore the lunatics.....
Why Not?
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby Access Denied » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:55 pm

Why Not? wrote:If we decrease the performance metrics expounded in the associated reports by a factor of 3 to match the balloon parameters, those performance metrics fall well in excess of those of "balloons blowing around in the wind".

I see your concern but I’m afraid Rudiak’s anlysis may be a bit misleading. Note the blue line labeled “Net velocity (horiz + vert)” in the “S-30 UFO Net Velocties” graph that shows a peak velocity of around 200 MPH. The black “radial velocity” line with it’s attendant apparently high accelerations is basically a judgment call based on the object jumping around in the video and trying to take measurements based off of that and the very coarse (+/- 1 degree) azimuth and elevation indicators. If the object was indeed a cluster of balloons and therefore of low mass it would indeed be subject to apparently high momentary accelerations due to wind gusts but I’m afraid Rudiak’s analysis may be a bit too subjective and “optimistic” in that regard.

Consider this from Powell’s analysis…

The ground speed and air speed are found to be reasonably consistent throughout. The average ground speed across the entire profile is 189 knots, and the average airspeed is 200 knots. During the accurate stretch of range data (i.e. between 23:21:08 and 23:21:13) the object's speed is around 43 knots, explaining why the operators think it is "so slow" at that time. It accelerates gradually as it approaches the tracking station, but particularly so after it levels out after the climb at around 23:22:30. Its 'cruising' air speed probably lies between 173 and 207 knots. There is no clear evidence that the UFO achieves an exceptionally high speed at any point in the S-30 footage.

200 knots is about 230 MPH and divided by 3 that’s around 75 MPH… factor in uncertainties in the measurements and the balloon hypothesis doesn’t seem to be too much of a stretch in my opinion.
Men go and come but Earth abides.
Access Denied
1 of the RU3

Google

Return to UFOs