New Zealand defense to release UFO files

General UFO stories

Moderators: ryguy, chrLz, Zep Tepi

New Zealand defense to release UFO files

Postby internos » Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:42 pm

Maybe soon we'll find out more about the Kaikoura lights (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaikoura_lights) nd other stuff.
Defence lifts lid on Kiwi X-files

Last updated 05:00 22/12/2010

Thousands of secret files on New Zealand's UFO reports are set to be made public, nearly 32 years to the day after our most famous sighting.

The files include every witness account of unidentified flying objects reported to authorities since the early 1950s, including the 1978 Kaikoura mystery.

They had been held by Archives New Zealand, which was to make them available in February after requests from the public, but the Defence Force stepped in, saying it needed to remove personal identification to comply with the Privacy Act.

The Defence Force promised to release the files by the end of this year and is due to make them public this week.

More than 2000 pages of files will be issued in 12 volumes. Squadron Leader Kavae Tamariki said the Defence Force would not comment on the files' content.

"We've just been a collection point for the information. We don't investigate or make reports, we haven't substantiated anything in them."

The Defence Force did not have the resources to investigate UFO sightings, Squadron Leader Tamariki said.

The director of research group UFOCUS NZ, Suzanne Hansen, said she had been trying to get hold of the Defence Force files for nearly two years.

"I started lobbying, and at first they said there was no way in the foreseeable future they'd be released. It's been a long time coming."

In August last year The Press sought access to the files under the Official Information Act, and was told by the Defence Force the request "would require a substantial amount of collation, research and consultation to identify whether any of that information could be released", and it was "not in a position to deploy staff to undertake that task".

It said public files on UFO sightings were available from Archives NZ.

But when access to those files was requested from Archives NZ, it emerged they had been borrowed by the Defence Force.

Ms Hansen said she hoped the files would reveal more detail about some of New Zealand's most famous cases, including the Kaikoura sighting on December 21, 1978.

Wellington man John Cordy, 77, was in the air traffic control tower on that night and still maintains there was no logical explanation for what happened.

He and his colleague witnessed inexplicable radar readings at a time when no aircraft were cleared to be in the area.

At the same time, crew on an Argosy cargo plane reported strange lights around their aircraft, which tracked them for more than 60 kilometres. Numerous theories were put forward, but Mr Cordy said none fitted the bill.

Ad Feedback "It wasn't a squid boat, it wasn't Jupiter, it wasn't Venus, and it wasn't harbour lights. What it was I do not know."

Ms Hansen, who has investigated UFOs for more than 35 years, said she had witnessed numerous "sightings" in her life, the first when she was eight.

"I was living down in Gisborne in the late 70s, early 80s, around the time of the UFO flap – when there's quite intense activity, a lot of sightings.

"It's reasonably easy to tell whether something is an aircraft because in New Zealand, and worldwide, there are certain legal configurations of lights, so if they don't have those characteristics, it's not identifiable.

"Then you're mainly looking at movement, whether it's able to hover, whether it's moving erratically."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/4483294 ... wi-X-files
internos

Re: New Zealand defense to release UFO files

Postby chrLz » Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:17 am

As an aside to this topic, I note that Bruce Maccabee's name is rolled out as an expert in some of these matters, and I followed a link to one of his papers' here, on the Kaikoura lights:
http://brumac.8k.com/NEW_ZEALAND/NZSB.html

In that, apart from numerous errors, dubious use of data and eagerly leapt-to-conclusions, I find text like this:
..This is rather high altitude for a typical squid boat to be fishing from, don't you think? Unless, of course, it was a rare type: a Flying Squid Boat. (Well, you've heard of the Flying Dutchman.... why not the Flying Squid Boat?)

There you have it: 19 reasons it wasn't a squid boat. All you needed is one!

After that smarm, he spends many many paragraphs criticising his treatment by the media...

Now, maybe that's just one webpage.. but does that sound like a highly credible scientist to anyone? Despite not having any PhD's after my name, I've worked with a lot of highly qualified, highly regarded science folk, and no, they don't sound like that, and even if they do have a beef with the odd person or the media, they do not hang out their dirty laundry so unprofessionally.

Later I'd like to go over one of his analyses with a fine toothed comb - is that a typical one, or is there a more famous or interesting one I should focus on? (Pun intended)

Merry Xmas all! although it's now the 26th down under..
"To wear the mantle of Galileo, it is not enough that you be persecuted by an unkind establishment. You must also be right." - Robert L. Park (..almost)
chrLz

Postby Access Denied » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:37 am

chrLz wrote:Later I'd like to go over one of his analyses with a fine toothed comb - is that a typical one, or is there a more famous or interesting one I should focus on? (Pun intended)

I think this is an excellent case to review and worthy of a dedicated thread given Maccabee has endorsed a number of a hoaxes (e.g. McMinnville and Gulf Breeze) and he touts “It was the first, and so far as I know, to date, the only, in-depth technical discussion of a specific UFO sighting to appear in a mainstream, refereed technical journal.” even though it appeared in the Letters to the Editor and not without controversy. He also approached the CIA with it which began his relationship with Kit Green but that's a topic in itself that has been discussed here fairly extensively. This and the fact that the individuals involved specifically went looking for UFOs that night (not to be confused with the independant sighting a week earlier) and it resulted in a book being published (and an article in Playboy of all places) I think there’s good reason to be skeptical.

As far as the OP...

Ms Hansen said she hoped the files would reveal more detail about some of New Zealand's most famous cases, including the Kaikoura sighting on December 21, 1978.

Given this...

"We've just been a collection point for the information. We don't investigate or make reports, we haven't substantiated anything in them."

I won't be holding my breath although it might be interesting to compare the original reports with later accountings.
Men go and come but Earth abides.
Access Denied
1 of the RU3

Postby astrophotographer » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:04 am

The documents concerning the Kaikoura event are interesting in that you can see many of the comments from all the scientists and the military regarding the sighting. Most of what was available was what Maccabee had published and what skeptics had summarized. Now one can read the reports directly. They pretty much reflect what Klass wrote and what was reported in the NOVA program back in the early 1980s.
astrophotographer
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality

Postby Access Denied » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:23 am

I was going to ask if anybody has published the documents online yet but I see they're available here...

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/4486327 ... -sightings

Looking over them now.

ETA: So far this is all I’ve been able to find on the Kaikoura lights…

http://issuu.com/stuffnz/docs/air_39-3- ... 1956_-_/20

Looks like they did a pretty thorough investigation in this case because of all the publicity and didn’t find anything to be concerned about. Anybody find anything else?
Access Denied
1 of the RU3

Postby chrLz » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:16 pm

Going a little off topic - In a small coincydink, I have encountered some more Maccabee stuff over on BAUT, namely:
http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php/106643-Did-UFOs-buzz-the-white-house-1952?p=1834174#post1834174
Note that the thread has gone offtopic, and this part is *not* about the 1952 incident. Anyway, Maccabee has made some comments that are included on this page of rather outlandish claims being portrayed as an 'analysis':
http://www.ufodc.com/page%209.html
To be fair, some of what Maccabee says there (most of it is towards the bottom) is correct, but some is not, and he has missed some very obvious issues. I was particularly amused by the "DON'T KNOW" bit which gives away the fact that he doesn't like maths much, despite using it to make a rather silly point about how fast the object might be moving, using a wild and unsupported distance guess.

The object is, of course, Jupiter. It was the camera/scope that moved (..or possibly a 'photoshopped'' addition).

Anyway, I've suddenly got quite interested in Maccabee, so I shall return to this for a deeper look ..
"To wear the mantle of Galileo, it is not enough that you be persecuted by an unkind establishment. You must also be right." - Robert L. Park (..almost)
chrLz

Postby Access Denied » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:59 pm

chrLz wrote:Note that the thread has gone offtopic, and this part is *not* about the 1952 incident.

The "hyperdimensional UFO" was first introduced on page 2 of that thread via an Examiner "article" by exopolitical nutjob Alfred Webre and the subsequent comments are worth reviewing. The thread was revived by the photographer…

As noted earlier in that thread, to Maccabee’s “credit” he doesn’t rule out camera movement but evidently the photographer took his “analysis” as an endorsement.
Access Denied
1 of the RU3

Google

Return to UFOs