Their back: Ohare 2011

General UFO stories

Moderators: ryguy, chrLz, Zep Tepi

Their back: Ohare 2011

Postby longhaircowboy » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:33 pm

Just came across this recently. It seems they like Chicago. The video looks suspiciously like the 2006 event.
http://ufo-hq.blogspot.com/
The lights were originating from the direction of O'hare airport. A couple airplanes were seen in between the lights at points throughout the filming. I discovered the lights initially at 7:50 PM, in a spot where lights did not belong in the view of the sky near my home. I then ran back home to grab my dad, some binoculars, and a camera. We found a good vantage point and filmed them for about 20 minutes. This footage is cut down quite a bit. I went back to the filming spot at 10:30 PM and the lights were gone.

It says the video is from Bloomingdale, Illinois at approximately 8:00 PM on February 13, 2011. I'm not prone to just dismissing anything out of hand but maybe someone with vid experience can take a look and offer up some analysis.
Save a horse, ride a cowboy.

Memory...is an internal rumor.
George Santayana
longhaircowboy
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Re: Their back: Ohare 2011

Postby Buckwild » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:45 am

Hi LHC,

I am not a video analyst and we do not even have the original video but I used to live in Park Ridge (Il), near OH Airport and I know it's one of the busiest airports in the world, if not the busiest in the USA. I remember watching 6, 7 or more airplanes in a row on their approach pattern (ILS Approach). If we knew where exactly it was filmed and in which direction, we could search for the weather data (archives) and verify where the wind was blowing from. This could help us figure out which runway(s) where logicaly used. If you ask me, you can see that some of the lights are double lights, just like some liners seen from the front.

Now, I do think that there might not only be liners on this footage but maybe an helicopter as well and even chinese lanterns.

This could be a hint : http://www.chinahighlights.com/festival ... n-fair.htm

I know it's happenning in China and they might not even release chinese lanterns, but you never know.

The Chinese community has continued to rapidly expand through steady migration, the 1990 census showing the city of Chicago's Chinese population to be over 23,000 and the 2000 census counting almost 34,000, with nearly 74,000 in the metropolitan area.

I haven't seen anything suspicious/extraordinary in this video. Those guys are probably used to watch liners making their final approach @ OH Airport, but add a few chinese lanterns and then it might look weird. If the video was 2O mn long (he said he filmed them for 20 mn, why is the video shorter ?), and we could get some good reference points (steady lights) then it would start to be slightly interesting but helicopters (stationary for highway patrol purpose for ex) and perspective (it would not interfere with air traffic) could do the job.

Nab' knows what I am talking about :

Florida steady lights (approx 20 mn long)

Before the enhancement :

After the enhancement (using Registax) :

Comparison & identification :

We did have the original video on this one, Nablator did the enhancement and I did the comparison.

Cheers,
Buckwild
Buckwild
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby elevenaugust » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:23 pm

Buckwild wrote:....as well and even chinese lanterns.

I know it's happenning in China and they might not even release chinese lanterns, but you never know.

Yes I definately agree, the behaviour of the lights do remind those of chinese lanterns...

A quick comparison of a same part of the video taken with a similar zoom 5'45" apart:

IPACO, the new tool for photo and video analysis is on-line! www.ipaco.fr
elevenaugust

Postby Luck » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:22 pm

Buckwild wrote:Now, I do think that there might not only be liners on this footage but maybe an helicopter as well and even chinese lanterns.

And there was an even involving the lanterns in Chicago on the 12th. Either the kid got his dates wrong or there were additional private or non-advertised celebrations that weekend in Chicago.

The Confucius Institute at the University of Chicago (CIUC) invites you to the Chinese Lantern Festival Celebration, which will feature a traditional Chinese instrument ensemble, Chinese Zither (Guzheng) solos, folk songs, dances, and even Kung Fu performances.

The Chinese Lantern Festival, which marks the final day of Chinese New Year celebrations, is an ancient tradition extending back over 2000 years to the Han Dynasty. The festival is celebrated on the 15th day of the first lunar month of the year, and this night is celebrated by displaying thousands of colorful and exotic lanterns hung outdoors.

This event is organized by the Confucius Institute at the University of Chicago (CIUC) and is co-sponsored by Huazhong Normal University and the Chinese Student and Scholar Association.

http://event.uchicago.edu/maincampus/detail.php?guid=CAL-402882f8-2de6f5df-012e-01537efd-000003b6eventscalendar@uchicago.edu

edit: cleaned up formatting
I think the surest sign that there is intelligent life out there in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." (Calvin and Hobbes/Bill Waterson)
Luck
Reality Is In Sight
Reality Is In Sight

Postby jbondo » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:49 pm

I live north of O'Hare and I have to tell you that anomalous UFOs would probably be reported every day if someone payed enough attention.

The point is that airports have so much activity going on in the skies surrounding them (especially those as busy as O'Hare) that the odds of UFOs being explainable phenomena are pretty high. There are just so many factors: Lots of aircraft, multiple viewpoints, altitudes, aircraft types and styles, lighting both on and around, weather conditions (which can be extreme at O'Hare), I could go on and on. Of course many of these examples are part of every UFO sighting but any time the airport factor is involved it becomes 10 times harder to convince people to take a look.

Something would have to be pretty darn out of the ordinary or point blank clear as crystal in order to even be worth an extended investigation.

However, I always say: Keep plugging away cause you never know.......
jbondo
In Search of Reality
In Search of Reality

Google

Return to UFOs