so what are they pulling down? after taxes?

General UFO stories

Moderators: ryguy, chrLz, Zep Tepi

Re: so what are they pulling down? after taxes?

Postby Luck » Sun May 01, 2011 2:15 am

Okay, I did some additional research...
The Public Education and Empowerment Resource Service
Highest revenue year was 2007 (with 2007, 2008 & 2009 reporting) with gross revenue equaling approximately $40,000.00. And if you check their website, Salas is not listed as a board member or as a contributor. I'd say there is a good chance he is not getting rich on this one.

As for Greer's baby, here is the 2007 info. I will post the 2008 info when I get a chance.

CSETI:
2007
Total Revenue: $252,561.00
-Includes
--Direct public support $72,000.00
--Program service revenue $158,498.00
--Membership dues and assessments $9,087.00
--Interest on savings and temporary cash investments $850.00
--Gross profit $8,826.00
--Other $3,020

Total Expenses: $218,254.00
-Includes
--Program services $175,685.00
--Management and general $24,606.00
--Fund raising $17,964.00
--Payments to affiliates $0

Statement of functional expenses from Part 2 of the 990 (I am just giving the highlight reel here by listing the top 5 expenses):
workshop fees: $110,000.00
travel: $33,704.00
management & consultation: $18,000.00
occupancy: $13,880.00
conferences, conventions & meetings: 12,668.00

Statement of Program Service Accomplishments from Part 3 of the 990:
research and training expeditions to contact extraterrestrial intelligence and reach approx. 200 people
$133,724.00
primary educational tool is website which provides a tremendous amount of information including streaming video interviews, documents, and informational DVDs, books, and CDs...
$15,512.00
Educational lectures and interviews and reach tens of thousands of people
$15,148.00
VIP education
$11,300.00

Current Officers, Directors, etc. from Part Va:
Steven Greer, Intl Director
Ted Loder, Science Advisor
Jan Bravo, Board Member

Note: Loder and Greer were reimbursed for travel by CSETI, but according to the return were not paid compensation. Bravo was not paid compensation.

Analysis of income-producing activities from Part VII of the 990:
Total income: $180,282.00
which was derived from
-training events
-website education
-membership dues
-interest income
-sales of inventory

Schedule A, Parts I, IIA, IIB
Compensation of the five highest paid employees other than officers, directors, and trustees
-no employees were listed as no need to disclose if income is less than $50,000/annually.

Compensation of the five highest paid independent contractors for professional services (for services greater than $50,000 annually)
-Crossing Point, Inc., Carson City, NV: $128,000.00
(Note: Crossing Point is owned by Greer)

Compensation of the five highest paid independent contractors for other services (for services greater than $50,000 annually)
-none listed

Schedule A, Part III
Lending of money or extension of credit? Yes
Furnishing of goods, services, or facilities? Yes
Transfer of any part of its income or assets? Yes
(For 2007, only a separate statement of explanation was required by the IRS.)
I think the surest sign that there is intelligent life out there in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." (Calvin and Hobbes/Bill Waterson)
User avatar
Luck
Reality Is In Sight
Reality Is In Sight
 
Posts: 239
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:19 am
Location: Midwest


Re: so what are they pulling down? after taxes?

Postby Access Denied » Tue May 03, 2011 7:03 am

Fantastic research Luck, thanks! I meant to post this earlier regarding Michael Salla (not to be confused with Salas lol) who’s a relatively minor player (practically non-existent I note since the RU team busted the “Source A”/”Secret UN Meeting” hoax) but still managed to rake in over $300,000 from 2005 to 2009…

Exopolitics Institute Documents
http://www.exopoliticsinstitute.org/documents.htm

Some highlights from one of his better years (2007, $132,742 total revenue) that gives a little more detail than the 990EZs filed for other years…

2007 Federal Tax Return - Form 990 - Schedule A
http://www.exopoliticsinstitute.org/ima ... a-2007.pdf

Current Officers, Directors, Trustees, and Key Employees
Dr Michael Salla, Kealakekua, HawaiI – Presdient
Paola Harris, Boulder, Colorado - International Director
Angelika Whitecliff, Kealakekua, Hawaii - Director/Secretary
Mike Bird, Newmarket, Ontario, Canada – Director
Haktan Akdogan, Cukurcuma-Beyoglu, Istanbul, Turkey – Director
Bernie Middleton, Kealakekua, Hawaii - Treasurer

Part VII Statement of Program Service Accomplishments

a. Main sponsor of an international conference featuring 14 speakers and audience of approximately 140 participants. Taped for DVD distribution. Most speakers flown from U.S. mainland and international locations, including Mexico and Russia. Hosted in Hawaii from May 11-13, 2007. Titled: Earth Transformation: New Science & Technologies, Spirituality, Dolphins & Exopolitics. Helped promote awareness of extraterrestrial life and its relationship to consciousness raising, advanced technologies and dolphin studies. Used Exopolitics Institute office & web resources (35 % of total).

$52, 791

So, in addition to contributing (albeit indirectly) to the incomes of 14 nut jobs, even though he lists his salary and that of his (five, including him) officers as zero, nearly $20,000 of that went to pay for his office (address given is a PO Box) in Hawaii. (possibly doubles as his home?)

[the dolphin suff is his wife’s thing I believe]

How about an all expense paid trip (for five) to Japan?

b. Sponsored a three city tour of Japan featuring five speakers discussing Earth Transformation from the perspective of extraterrestrial life. Two day conferences held in Osaka, Sapporo, and Tokyo. Approximately 600 people attended the three conferences. Helped raise awareness in Japan about credible evidence of extraterrestrial life and how this may impact on the future of transforming the earth. Event helped develop cooperation between Japanese sponsors and two Exopolitics Institute organizers. Used Exopolitics Institute office & web resources in organizing event (5% of total)).

$51,142

Now given this is all tax free, can somebody tell me how it’s in the best interest of American taxpayers to pay for “raising the awareness” of the Japanese about the “credible evidence” for extraterrestrial life?

Here’s Salla’s excuse…

Relationship of Activities to the Accomplishment of Exempt Purposes
Explain how each activity for which income is reported in column (E) of Part VII contributed importantly to the accomplishment of the organization’s exempt purposes (other than by providing funds for such purposes).

93a. Organized a 3 city (2 day each) conference tour of Japan educating public about evidence of extraterrestrial life.

93b. Organized a 3 day conference in Kona, Hawaii educating public about evidence of extraterrestrial life.

93c. Offer 14 week online courses focusing on evidence of extraterrestrial life.

93d. Organized a daylong seminar conference in Maui, Hawaii educating public about evidence of extraterrestrial life.

What extraterrestrial life?

And why aren’t taxpayers entitled to this “credible evidence” for free?

In my opinion there ought to be a law against this kind of scam… something similar to say the policy adopted by the US Patent and Trademark Office whereby they will no longer issue patents for “free energy” (aka “perpetual motion”, “over unity”) devices without the claimed inventor having demonstrated it’s “operability” with a working model.
Men go and come but Earth abides.
User avatar
Access Denied
1 of the RU3
 
Posts: 2740
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:32 am
Location: [redacted]

Re: so what are they pulling down? after taxes?

Postby James Carlson » Tue May 03, 2011 11:28 am

I agree sooooo much! And have you taken a look at those online courses? All of these groups justify their tax exempt status on the basis of educational materials by presenting their online courses as evidence supporting. The thing about online courses is their low maintenance. Using pretty much any internet software, you can automate everything, post the final version, and never touch it again. And yet, they use it to collect tax exempt donations, justification of educational content, annual maintenance (which doesn't exist), and all number of fruity scams to keep the funds rolling in while continuing to do very little of anything else. These guys aren't providing an educational service -- they've created a hole for money laundering and little else! I wouldn't be surprised if their list of "donors" included some very well known names on it that have nothing at all to do with E.T. and the esoteric qualities of the universe!
User avatar
James Carlson
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality
 
Posts: 783
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:11 am
Location: Albuquerque, NM

Re: so what are they pulling down? after taxes?

Postby RICH-ENGLAND » Tue May 03, 2011 11:40 am

all i can say is great work guys!. keep it up.

thanks

rich
ATS HAS TURNED INTO A "BALLOONATIC" ASYLUM
User avatar
RICH-ENGLAND
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality
 
Posts: 343
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:06 am

Re: so what are they pulling down? after taxes?

Postby James Carlson » Wed May 04, 2011 12:52 am

In light of the great content and extensive detail posted here by Luck (great job!) and AD, it occurred to me that maybe the forum would be a perfect place to post informative, previously unpublished content that a lot of people might just skip past. This doesn't imply at all that I think Luck's and AD's posts fit that profile, because I found it all fascinating stuff. I have, however, been wanting to get the letters I sent the IRS in relation to tax exeption posted online somewhere, but didn't have any idea where. I conducted some intensive research, and discovered a lot of good info regarding what when examining the status sought and eventually received. You can't just request a tax exempt status and forget about it. There are standards to maintain that I believe have been ignored in the cases below.

I am not a tax scholar, so if errors were made, please correct me. I can always resubmit the cases. Please keep in mind that these are only the explanatory attachments submitted with the original Form 13909, Tax-Exempt Organization Complaint (Referral) Form. In each, the violations listed included: Directors/officers/persons are using income/assets for personal gain; Organization is engaged in commercial, for-profit business activities; Organization is involved in a political campaign; Organization is engaged in excessive lobbying activities; Organization engaged in deceptive or improper fundraising practices; and Other, specifically Organization's claim to be "educational" in support of exemption claims does not meet the standards of "educational" within the meaning of section 501(c)(3) as indicated by: presentation of viewpoints unsupported by facts is a significant part of the organization's communications; the facts that support the viewpoints are distorted; organization's presentations make substantial use of inflammatory and disparaging terms, expressing conclusions more on the basis of emotion than objective evaluations; the approach used is not aimed at developing an understanding on the part of the audience because it does not consider their background or training. See attached details. Organization qualifies as an "action" organization. See attached details. Judge for yourself whether or not the use of Salas' Echo/November/Oscar Flight claims are appropriate for a tax exempt educational organization. I think it's deplorable conduct, but I urge you to reach your own conclusions based on the facts.

The first case is the Disclosure Project.

April 26, 2010

Dear Sir,

Tax-exempt status is extended to "Corporations, and any community chest, fund, or foundation, organized and operated exclusively for religious, charitable, scientific, testing for public safety, literary, or educational purposes, or to foster national or international amateur sports competition (but only if no part of its activities involve the provision of athletic facilities or equipment), or for the prevention of cruelty to children or animals, no part of the net earnings of which inures to the benefit of any private shareholder or individual, no substantial part of the activities of which is carrying on propaganda, or otherwise attempting, to influence legislation (except as otherwise provided in subsection (h)), and which does not participate in, or intervene in (including the publishing or distributing of statements), any political campaign on behalf of (or in opposition to) any candidate for public office." In addition, an organization is not operated exclusively for exempt purposes if it is an "action" organization, defined in the regulations as an organization which "advocates, or campaigns for, the attainment" of legislation in accordance with Treas. Reg. § 1.501(c)(3)-1(c)(3)(iv)(b). In other words, the standards required to maintain a tax exempt status must be met in accordance with current tax law. In the case of The Center for the Study of Extraterrestrial Intelligence (CSETI), and its associated public charity, the Disclosure Project, these standards require that the IRS operational test for 501(c)(3) organizations be met. The operational test requires that a 501(c)(3) organization be operated "exclusively for" the prescribed exempt purposes. The organization must engage primarily in activities that accomplish one or more of the exempt purposes. It is not regarded as exempt if more than an insubstantial part of its activities is not in furtherance of an exempt purpose.

On the Disclosure Project website at :

http://www.disclosureproject.org/description.shtml

they describe their purpose as follows :

PROJECT DESCRIPTION

A CALL ON U.S. CONGRESS FOR HEARINGS & LEGISLATION

To hold open, secrecy-free hearings on the UFO/Extraterrestrial presence on and around Earth.

To hold open hearings on advanced energy and propulsion systems that, when publicly released, will provide solutions to global environmental challenges.

To enact legislation which will ban all space-based weapons.

To enact comprehensive legislation to research, develop and explore space peacefully and cooperatively with all cultures on Earth and in space.

The recorded testimony of scores of military, government and other witnesses to Unidentified Flying Objects and Extraterrestrial events and projects from around the world establishes the existence of a UFO/Extraterrestrial presence on and around Earth. This recorded testimony consists of dozens of first-hand, often top-secret witnesses to UFO and Extraterrestrial events, internal UFO-related government projects and covert activities, space-based weapons programs, Extraterrestrial Intelligence, and covert, reverse-engineered energy and propulsion system projects. The technologies that are of an Extraterrestrial origin, when publicly released within a planned transition period, will provide solutions to global environmental and security challenges.

These numerous recorded witnesses constitute only a small portion of a vast pool of identified present or former military, intelligence, corporate, aviator, flight control, law enforcement officers, scientists and other witnesses, who will come forward when subpoenaed to testify at Congressional hearings. Without a grant of immunity releasing them from their security oaths, many such unimpeachable witnesses fear to speak out.

The legislation will ban space-based weapons and will help to transform the terrestrial war industry into a world cooperative military (without space weapons), civil, and commercial space industry This will provide unprecedented benefits and opportunities to all on Earth and in space.

It should be noted that an organization will be regarded as attempting to influence legislation if it contacts, or urges the public to contact, members or employees of a legislative body for the purpose of proposing, supporting, or opposing legislation, or if the organization advocates the adoption or rejection of legislation. Specifically, the regulations provide that an organization is not operated exclusively for exempt purposes if it is an "action" organization, per Treas. Reg. § 1.501(c)(3)-1(c)(3)(i). An organization is an "action" organization if it has the following two characteristics: "(a) Its main or primary objective or objectives (as distinguished from its incidental or secondary objectives) may be attained only by legislation or a defeat of proposed legislation; and (b) it advocates, or campaigns for, the attainment of such main or primary objective or objectives as distinguished from engaging in nonpartisan analysis, study, or research, and making the results thereof available to the public." Treas. Reg. § 1.501(c)(3)-1(c)(3)(iv). An organization's intent to serve as a catalyst for congressional hearings and/or debate, has in past served as an indication that such an organization is, in fact, an "action" organization that should be denied tax exempt status on those grounds. (See The FUND FOR THE STUDY OF ECONOMIC GROWTH AND TAX REFORM, v. INTERNAL REVENUE SERVICE, No. 98-5105, 161 F.3d 755, 333 U.S.App.D.C. 205, 82 A.F.T.R.2d 98-7312). It should be noted that claims asserting that an organization does not meet the "action" organization test because it does not actively campaign for proposed conclusions is generally considered excessive by the U.S. Tax Court. The question of whether an organization "advocates or campaigns" for legislation does not require that a sustained, grass-roots campaign be conducted. Advocacy alone has in the past been considered sufficient.

Specific prohibited acts that I hereby request the Department of the Treasury, Internal Revenue Service review in relation to The Center for the Study of Extraterrestrial Intelligence (CSETI), and its associated public charity, the Disclosure Project include the following:

1. The organization actively attempts "influencing legislation", an act that qualifies as such upon urging the public to contact members of or a legislative body entire for the purpose of proposing, supporting, or opposing legislation, or advocates the adoption or rejection of legislation. These characteristics are immediately noted at :

http://www.disclosureproject.org/campaign.shtml

and :

http://www.disclosureproject.org/description.shtml

The indications are that The Center for the Study of Extraterrestrial Intelligence (CSETI), and its associated public charity, the Disclosure Project have assumed a conclusion to their activities as a tax exempt organization -- the reduction of government secrecy in relation to an official cover-up of UFO-related incidents that the aforementioned organization has failed to substantiate, and "a call on U.S. Congress for hearings and legislation" as descibed at :

http://www.disclosureproject.org/description.shtml

-- and has tried to sell that conclusion to Congress, the President of the United States, and to the public more broadly. Of course, they are free to reach whatever conclusions they like, including one that assumes state secrecy should be prohibitive in a free society, and that hearings and legislation regarding these goals should be immediately enacted; and they are free as well to argue this position vigorously to the Congress, to the President and to the American public. However, as the Supreme Court has noted on many occasions, controversies such as these " 'must be conducted without public subvention; the Treasury stands aside from them.' " Cammarano v. United States, 358 U.S. 498, 512, 79 S.Ct. 524, 3 L.Ed.2d 462 (1959) (quoting Slee v. Commissioner, 42 F.2d 184, 185 (2d Cir.1930) (L. Hand, J.)). It is my belief that The Center for the Study of Extraterrestrial Intelligence (CSETI), and its associated public charity, the Disclosure Project has failed in this case to meet its burden of demonstrating that it is entitled to tax exemption under 501(c)(3), and I hope as well to persuade the Department of the Treasury and the U.S. Tax Court of the same via this appeal.

While it is very true that the United States Tax Court, the United States Claims Court, or the district court of the United States for the District of Columbia have never held that any organization which studies an issue touching on legislation, reaches a conclusion with respect to that issue, and then argues the merits of that conclusion must necessarily be characterized as an "action" organization, such courts have held that an organization which assumes a conclusion with respect to a highly public and controversial issue and then goes into the business of selling that conclusion may properly be designated an "action" organization. In deference to those findings, it is my belief that such a judgment by the United States Department of the Treasury, Internal Revenue Service for those causes, in addition to other detailed prohibitions discussed in this document, the object being the stated review and immediate revocation of the aforementioned organization's tax exempt status, should be sought and immediately asserted.

In general, no organization may qualify for Section 501(c)(3) status if a substantial part of its activities is attempting to influence legislation (commonly known as lobbying). Legislation includes action by Congress, any state legislature, any local council, or similar governing body, with respect to acts, bills, resolutions, or similar items (such as legislative confirmation of appointive office), or by the public in referendum, ballot initiative, constitutional amendment, or similar procedure. An organization will be regarded as attempting to influence legislation if it contacts, or urges the public to contact, members or employees of a legislative body for the purpose of proposing, supporting, or opposing legislation, or if the organization advocates the adoption or rejection of legislation. To these ends, please review the following URLs" :

http://www.disclosureproject.org/campaign.shtml

and :

http://www.disclosureproject.org/description.shtml

In addition to the above, please note that the "action" guidelines provided at URL :

http://www.disclosureproject.org/background.shtml

state specifically "As you read this testimony remember that it is indeed only the beginning. The rest is up to you: Call and demand that Congress and the President and the leaders of other countries hold hearings into this subject without delay. These witnesses welcome a subpoena so that they may officially testify under oath to what they have experienced and said here. Indeed, the most revealing testimony waits to be seen since the deepest sources are refusing to come forward until protected through official Congressional hearings." These aims constitute an attempt to influence legislation (commonly known as lobbying).

Please note as well that Revenue Ruling 2007-41 specifically prohibits “intervention” in the political process by charitable, tax exempt organizations and takes into account as well the standards allowable for educational materials used to foment opinion on political issues and campaigns that meet the requirements for prohibited intervention. Another area of concern is the content of the organization's websites, as well as websites to which they are linked. IRC section 501(c)(3) organizations are prohibited from posting statements on websites that advocate or oppose a candidate. They are also responsible for the consequences of establishing and maintaining links to other websites. Factors to be considered “include, but are not limited to, the context for the link,” “whether all candidates are represented,” “any exempt purpose” for the link, and “the directness of the link between the organization’s web site and the web page that contains material favoring or opposing a candidate” (Revenue Ruling 2007-41, Examples 18–21). In the case of The Center for the Study of Extraterrestrial Intelligence (CSETI), and its associated public charity, the Disclosure Project, blatant disregard for this ruling is evident. Please note that at URL :

http://www.disclosureproject.org/responses.shtml

the Disclosure Project actually "rates" the responsive behavior of legislators and government and Department of Defense representatives contacted by the organizations' members. The ratings indicate whether the individual has taken responsible leadership in addressing the issues promoted by the organization with action, has an inquiring interest to understand further the issues promoted, agrees to keep the organization's views in mind in the absence of current legislation, states that they are not responsible for handling or acting on the information provided, insists that the organizations' goals are not a priority due to an apparent misunderstanding of the issues, refuses to review the organizations' conclusions regarding official denials of UFO secrecy, or has responded with an unjustifiable and inappropriate reaction to the issues proposed. This has very clearly been approached from a point of view demanding support or rejection of the individual on a politically active basis by members of the organization and those who support the organizations' goals, but are not qualified members. As a result, Department of the Treasury prohibitions regarding action assumed by a tax-exempt organization in elective, political contests has been violated repeatedly in this case.

In Association of the Bar of the City of New York, 858 F2d 876, the court held that the public charity organization under examination by the court did not qualify as a tax-exempt charitable and educational organization because its rating of candidates for judgeships at the municipal, state and federal levels constituted prohibited intervention or participation in political campaigns. The ratings were communicated to the members and the public and constituted indirect political activity, not merely the dissemination of objective data, as argued by the association. This is very plainly the same type of prohibited activity, and should be considered in the same light.

Other prohibited acts that I hereby request the Department of the Treasury, Internal Revenue Service review in relation to The Center for the Study of Extraterrestrial Intelligence (CSETI), and its associated public charity, the Disclosure Project include the following:

2. Part of the organization's net earnings inure to the benefit of a private shareholder or individual.

The itemized returns relative to The Center for the Study of Extraterrestrial Intelligence (CSETI), and its associated public charity, the Disclosure Project, are ridiculous in light of the fact that their proposed Ambassadorial Training is a joke, free energy research is considered impossible by most physics doctrines, and their search for additional "witnesses" of the type they've already proposed is far more a case of the witnesses actually looking for them as opposed to being searched for and discovered. In addition, the sales of their videotapes, books, etc., are tremendously effective, and these haven't been itemized as necessary. It's very telling that to date the scientific advances research and the Ambassadorial missions CSETI claims to foster, and the numerous proposed assertions considered for the benefit of all mankind seems to have had no outside influence on human life that hasn't already been co-opted by Google Sky, YouTube, and the Hubble Telescope images. When we get right down to looking at the actual accomplishments, however, all CSETI has to offer in return for the tax-exempt status that the organization benefits from is a handful of nice photographs that can be downloaded from their website at :

http://www.cseti.org/relatedlinks.htm

where users can link to Google Sky, YouTube, and the Hubble Telescope images.

Examination by the Department of the Treasury, Internal Revenue Service should include the following URLs currently published by the organization:

http://www.disclosureproject.org/shopping.shtml

http://www.disclosureproject.org/ccttbook.shtml

http://www.cseti.org/member/worder.htm

http://www.cseti.org/member/video.htm

http://www.cseti.org/member/morder.htm

Whereas the presence of a single substantial nonexempt purpose precludes exempt status for an organization under Code section 501(c)(3), it should be noted that a substantial amount of the space on the organization's Web site is intended to promote the private business interests of its president and founder. This is a substantial nonexempt purpose. Because The Center for the Study of Extraterrestrial Intelligence (CSETI) has continuously engaged in nonexempt and prohibited activities, it should no longer be exempt from federal income tax.

Treas. Reg. 1.501(c)(3)-1(d)(ii) provides that an organization is not operated exclusively for exempt purposes unless it serves a public rather than a private interest. This regulation further provides that an organization must establish that it is not operated for the benefit of its creator's private interests. If examination by the Internal Revenue Service determines that a "more than insubstantial portion" of the organization's activities consist of promoting the private business interests of that organization's creator and President, or founder and Executive Director, and that in large part these activities are conducted through the organization's website, that organization is not operated exclusively for one or more qualifying exempt purposes.

In Better Business Bureau v. United States, 326 U.S. 279, 283, the court stated that the presence of a single substantial nonexempt purpose precludes exempt status for an organization, regardless of the number or importance of the exempt purposes. When a public charity engages in nonexempt and prohibited activities by promoting the private business interests of its creator and President or Executive Director through its Internet website and publishing a statement in opposition to a candidate for public office as described in Treas. Reg. 1.501(c)(3)-1(c)(3)(ii), or in favor of or opposition to a particular legislative action as described in Treas. Reg. § 1.501(c)(3)-1(c)(3)(iv), such a public charity no longer qualifies for the tax-exempt status that it enjoys.

Other prohibited acts that I hereby request the Department of the Treasury, Internal Revenue Service review in relation to The Center for the Study of Extraterrestrial Intelligence (CSETI), and its associated public charity, the Disclosure Project include the following:

3. In the case of organizations that claim to be "educational", such as the The Center for the Study of Extraterrestrial Intelligence (CSETI), and its associated public charity, the Disclosure Project, in support of their tax exempt claims, the method used by that organization to develop and present its views is a factor in determining whether or not the organization qualifies as "educational" within the meaning of section 501(c)(3). According to Department of the Treasury Publication 557 (Rev. June 2008), The following factors may indicate that the method is not educational :

1. The presentation of viewpoints unsupported by facts is a significant part of the organization's communications.

2. The facts that support the viewpoints are distorted.

3. The organization's presentations make substantial use of inflammatory and disparaging terms and express conclusions more on the basis of emotion than of objective evaluations.

4. The approach used is not aimed at developing an understanding on the part of the audience because it does not consider their background or training.

My appeal (attached to this document) regarding this matter includes positive examples of all of these factors in very specific detail in the attached document relative to the "Echo Flight Incident".

It should also be stressed that the educational materials provided by the organization cannot be considered "educational" within the meaning of section 501(c)(3) in the absence of a sufficiently full and fair exposition of the pertinent facts to enable the public or an individual to form an independent opinion or conclusion. Examples of this are also included in the attached document relative to the "Echo Flight Incident".

Educational purposes include instruction of the public on subjects useful to individuals for the benefit of the community and for self-development. The IRS allows a curriculum to present particular viewpoints if there "...is sufficiently full and fair exposition of pertinent facts to permit an individual or the public to form an independent opinion or conclusion." However, mere presentation of unsupported opinion is not considered educational, and that is primarily what The Disclosure Project provides. Some examples of educational purposes generally include the following :

1. publishing public interest educational materials that do not conflict with the requirement above;

2. conducting public discussion groups, forums, panels, lectures, or workshops;

3. offering a correspondence course or one that uses other media such as television or radio;

4. operating a museum, zoo, planetarium, symphony orchestra, or other performance groups;

5. serving an educational institution, such as a college bookstore, alumni association, or athletic organization; and

6. publishing educational newsletters, pamphlets, books, or other material.

The attached documents discussing the "educational" materials published by The Center for the Study of Extraterrestrial Intelligence (CSETI), and its associated public charity, the Disclosure Project, make it very clear that the self-policing necessary and desired of any institution that bases its conclusions on the testimony of others is sadly lacking in this case. As a result of this deficiency, The Center for the Study of Extraterrestrial Intelligence (CSETI), and its associated public charity, the Disclosure Project, do not meet the qualifications nor the standards necessary to benefit from the tax-exempt status they currently enjoy.

For an example of the ridiculous educational materials offered by this group of mountebanks and con-men, pleasse note :

http://www.cseti.org/reports/joshuatree09.htm

This is not the kind of organization the United States government should be granting a tax-exempt status as an "educational" public charity to. Standards set this low are a joke, and provide the citizenry of this nation with nothing even approaching information of an educative value. By allowing a tax-exempt status to this organization, the United States Department of the Treasury, Internal Revenue Service is not merely granting them a benefit most citizens do not enjoy for providing a service most citizens will not employ, it also sends the rest of this country a very clear message that if you add enough b.s. to anything, the government will not simply cheer you on and give you a pat on the back for doing so, it will officially elevate your efforts to a status just below what we normally reserve for established religions.

Given the deferential standard of review necessary, and given the fact that the burden is on the taxpayer seeking exemption to demonstrate that it is in fact entitled to tax-exempt status, see Granzow v. Commissioner, 739 F.2d 265, 268 (7th Cir.1984) (per curiam) ("Exemption from income taxation is a matter of legislative grace. A taxpayer requesting an exemption must demonstrate compliance with the specific requirements set forth in the statute granting the exemption.... The party claiming the exemption bears the burden of proof of entitlement"), public request of the IRS to conduct an honest review of that status under 501(c)(3) for any of the above prohibited acts should not be denied.

Whereas 26 U.S.C. § 7428(a)(2) provides that the United States Tax Court, the United States Claims Court, or the district court of the United States for the District of Columbia may make a declaration with respect to the initial or continuing qualification of an organization under 501(c)(3), I hereby request that the IRS utilize all such avenues available if necessary.

Should the Department of the Treasury, Internal Revenue Service reach the same conclusions as that of the citizen(s) requesting this appeal, said citizen(s) hereby request as well that the processing of income tax returns and assessment of any taxes due not be delayed in the event a petition for declaratory judgment has been filed under section 7428 of the Code.

In my opinion the actions taken by The Center for the Study of Extraterrestrial Intelligence (CSETI), and its associated public charity, the Disclosure Project, are personally and morally offensive; my studies have assured me that belief in the strengths inherent to honorable pursuits and the honest application of human endeavor is a valued ethical guideline held as well by the United States Department of the Treasury. I hereby request of that body the review and subsequent revocation of the above tax-exempt status currently held by The Center for the Study of Extraterrestrial Intelligence (CSETI), and its associated public charity, the Disclosure Project. The goals admitted by the organization as indicated above make it very clear that they intend to act as a catalyst for a public demand of very specific legislation, and qualify thereby as an "action" organization. In addition, the noted abuses described regarding the "educational" materials provided by the organization upon which it bases the need for the legislative actions described reveal the actual value of the services assumed, and should be taken into account in regard to this matter.

Most sincerely,
James Carlson
jtcarl@yahoo.com
[personal phone numbers and address removed]
Albuquerque, NM
87108

The second case is, of course, for PEERS, the Public Education and Empowerment Resource Service, and its associated educational website, wanttoknow.info. That particular case follows. For a short introduction of who these people are, you might want to check out their introduction at: http://www.wanttoknow.info/aboutus -- Dr. Steven M. Greer is one.
April 28, 2010

Dear Sir,

Tax-exempt status is extended to "Corporations, and any community chest, fund, or foundation, organized and operated exclusively for religious, charitable, scientific, testing for public safety, literary, or educational purposes, or to foster national or international amateur sports competition (but only if no part of its activities involve the provision of athletic facilities or equipment), or for the prevention of cruelty to children or animals, no part of the net earnings of which inures to the benefit of any private shareholder or individual, no substantial part of the activities of which is carrying on propaganda, or otherwise attempting, to influence legislation (except as otherwise provided in subsection (h)), and which does not participate in, or intervene in (including the publishing or distributing of statements), any political campaign on behalf of (or in opposition to) any candidate for public office." In addition, an organization is not operated exclusively for exempt purposes if it is an "action" organization, defined in the regulations as an organization which "advocates, or campaigns for, the attainment" of legislation in accordance with Treas. Reg. § 1.501(c)(3)-1(c)(3)(iv)(b). In other words, the standards required to maintain a tax exempt status must be met in accordance with current tax law. In the case of The Public Education and Empowerment Resource Service (PEERS), and its associated educational website, wanttoknow.info, these standards require that the IRS operational test for 501(c)(3) organizations be met. The operational test requires that a 501(c)(3) organization be operated "exclusively for" the prescribed exempt purposes. The organization must engage primarily in activities that accomplish one or more of the exempt purposes. It is not regarded as exempt if more than an insubstantial part of its activities is not in furtherance of an exempt purpose.

On the PEERS website at :

http://www.peerservice.org/peersbylaws

they describe their purpose as follows :

SECTION 1. OBJECTIVES AND PURPOSES

The primary objectives and purposes of this corporation shall be:

(1) to educate and inspire the public to reduce prejudice and economic inequalities and to foster a sense of global community based on love and cooperation. Working largely, but not exclusively, through inspirational, educational Internet websites and email, PEERS provides exercises, inspirational stories, and community building ideas designed to reduce prejudice and inspire people to work together towards greater equality and respect in all aspects of life.

(2) to educate the public both about current news developments and about the forces underlying the political, economic, and social structures that shape our nation and world. Working largely, but not exclusively through Internet websites and email, PEERS provides fact-filled news articles and summaries comprised of important information which impacts the lives of people in our nation and world. All information provided is taken from the most reliable sources available, and most can be verified with minimal research. PEERS offers this information free of charge as an opportunity for people to educate themselves and others, and to inspire the public to strengthen democracy and work together for the good of all people in our nation and world.

(3) to manage free email subscription lists which provide educational information and inspiration to those who subscribe. Anyone can subscribe to these lists through the websites under PEERS management. The content of the information sent to subscribers is based on the objectives and purposes stated in (1) and (2).

(4) to provide speakers for events and media programs and to organize occasional events focused on education and inspiration which are compatible with the objectives and purposes stated in (1) and (2).

It should be noted that an organization will be regarded as attempting to influence legislation if it contacts, or urges the public to contact, members or employees of a legislative body for the purpose of proposing, supporting, or opposing legislation, or if the organization advocates the adoption or rejection of legislation. Specifically, the regulations provide that an organization is not operated exclusively for exempt purposes if it is an "action" organization, per Treas. Reg. § 1.501(c)(3)-1(c)(3)(i). An organization is an "action" organization if it has the following two characteristics: "(a) Its main or primary objective or objectives (as distinguished from its incidental or secondary objectives) may be attained only by legislation or a defeat of proposed legislation; and (b) it advocates, or campaigns for, the attainment of such main or primary objective or objectives as distinguished from engaging in nonpartisan analysis, study, or research, and making the results thereof available to the public." Treas. Reg. § 1.501(c)(3)-1(c)(3)(iv). An organization's intent to serve as a catalyst for congressional hearings and/or debate, has in past served as an indication that such an organization is, in fact, an "action" organization that should be denied tax exempt status on those grounds. (See The FUND FOR THE STUDY OF ECONOMIC GROWTH AND TAX REFORM, v. INTERNAL REVENUE SERVICE, No. 98-5105, 161 F.3d 755, 333 U.S.App.D.C. 205, 82 A.F.T.R.2d 98-7312). It should be noted that claims asserting that an organization does not meet the "action" organization test because it does not actively campaign for proposed conclusions is generally considered excessive by the U.S. Tax Court. The question of whether an organization "advocates or campaigns" for legislation does not require that a sustained, grass-roots campaign be conducted. Advocacy alone has in the past been considered sufficient.

Specific prohibited acts that I hereby request the Department of the Treasury, Internal Revenue Service review in relation to The Public Education and Empowerment Resource Service (PEERS), and its associated public charity, the Disclosure Project include the following:

1. The organization actively attempts "influencing legislation", an act that qualifies as such upon urging the public to contact members of or a legislative body entire for the purpose of proposing, supporting, or opposing legislation, or advocates the adoption or rejection of legislation. These characteristics are immediately noted at :

http://www.wanttoknow.info/youcanhelp

and :

http://www.wanttoknow.info/ufoinformation#ufodo

and :

http://www.wanttoknow.info/contactmedia ... sentatives

The indications are that The Public Education and Empowerment Resource Service (PEERS), and its associated educational website, wanttoknow.info have assumed a conclusion to their activities as a tax exempt organization -- the reduction of government secrecy in relation to an official cover-up of UFO-related incidents that the aforementioned organization has failed to substantiate, and "a call on U.S. Congress for hearings and legislation" as described at :

http://www.wanttoknow.info/brighterfuture

-- and has tried to sell that conclusion to Congress, the President of the United States, and to the public more broadly. Of course, they are free to reach whatever conclusions they like, including one that assumes state secrecy should be prohibitive in a free society, and that hearings and legislation regarding these goals should be immediately enacted; and they are free as well to argue this position vigorously to the Congress, to the President and to the American public. However, as the Supreme Court has noted on many occasions, controversies such as these " 'must be conducted without public subvention; the Treasury stands aside from them.' " Cammarano v. United States, 358 U.S. 498, 512, 79 S.Ct. 524, 3 L.Ed.2d 462 (1959) (quoting Slee v. Commissioner, 42 F.2d 184, 185 (2d Cir.1930) (L. Hand, J.)). It is my belief that The Public Education and Empowerment Resource Service (PEERS), and its associated educational website, wanttoknow.info has failed in this case to meet its burden of demonstrating that it is entitled to tax exemption under 501(c)(3), and I hope as well to persuade the Department of the Treasury and the U.S. Tax Court of the same via this appeal.

While it is very true that the United States Tax Court, the United States Claims Court, or the district court of the United States for the District of Columbia have never held that any organization which studies an issue touching on legislation, reaches a conclusion with respect to that issue, and then argues the merits of that conclusion must necessarily be characterized as an "action" organization, such courts have held that an organization which assumes a conclusion with respect to a highly public and controversial issue and then goes into the business of selling that conclusion may properly be designated an "action" organization. In deference to those findings, it is my belief that such a judgment by the United States Department of the Treasury, Internal Revenue Service for those causes, in addition to other detailed prohibitions discussed in this document, the object being the stated review and immediate revocation of the aforementioned organization's tax exempt status, should be sought and immediately asserted.

In general, no organization may qualify for Section 501(c)(3) status if a substantial part of its activities is attempting to influence legislation (commonly known as lobbying). Legislation includes action by Congress, any state legislature, any local council, or similar governing body, with respect to acts, bills, resolutions, or similar items (such as legislative confirmation of appointive office), or by the public in referendum, ballot initiative, constitutional amendment, or similar procedure. An organization will be regarded as attempting to influence legislation if it contacts, or urges the public to contact, members or employees of a legislative body for the purpose of proposing, supporting, or opposing legislation, or if the organization advocates the adoption or rejection of legislation. To these ends, please review the following URLs" :

http://www.wanttoknow.info/contactmedia ... sentatives

and :

http://www.wanttoknow.info/aboutus

In addition to the above, please note that the "action" guidelines provided at URL :

http://www.wanttoknow.info/contactmedia ... sentatives

state specifically "Contact Your Political Representatives And Local and National Media : One powerful way you can make your voice heard is to contact your political representatives and members of local and national media in your country. Below are some links which quickly provide those living in the U.S. with the phone and fax numbers, email addresses, and regular mailing addresses of political and media representatives at both the local and national levels. You can make a big difference by sending these influential individuals and organizations information from our website." This page also states : "Keep in mind that emails are generally the least effective way to make an impact, as many are never even read in these publicly available addresses. Written letters have the most impact, though phone calls and faxes are also very useful." These aims constitute an attempt to influence legislation (commonly known as lobbying).

Please note as well that Revenue Ruling 2007-41 specifically prohibits “intervention” in the political process by charitable, tax exempt organizations and takes into account as well the standards allowable for educational materials used to foment opinion on political issues and campaigns that meet the requirements for prohibited intervention. Another area of concern is the content of the organization's websites, as well as websites to which they are linked. IRC section 501(c)(3) organizations are prohibited from posting statements on websites that advocate or oppose a candidate. They are also responsible for the consequences of establishing and maintaining links to other websites. Factors to be considered “include, but are not limited to, the context for the link,” “whether all candidates are represented,” “any exempt purpose” for the link, and “the directness of the link between the organization’s web site and the web page that contains material favoring or opposing a candidate” (Revenue Ruling 2007-41, Examples 18–21). In the case of The Public Education and Empowerment Resource Service (PEERS), and its associated educational website, wanttoknow.info, blatant disregard for this ruling is evident. Please note that at URL :

http://www.wanttoknow.info/ufocover-up10pg

the Disclosure Project is extensively discussed and necessary links are provided; examination of the URL :

http://www.disclosureproject.org/responses.shtml

reveals that the Disclosure Project actually "rates" the responsive behavior of legislators and government and Department of Defense representatives contacted by that organizations' members. The ratings indicate whether the individual has taken responsible leadership in addressing the issues promoted by the organization with action, has an inquiring interest to understand further the issues promoted, agrees to keep the organization's views in mind in the absence of current legislation, states that they are not responsible for handling or acting on the information provided, insists that the organizations' goals are not a priority due to an apparent misunderstanding of the issues, refuses to review the organizations' conclusions regarding official denials of UFO secrecy, or has responded with an unjustifiable and inappropriate reaction to the issues proposed. This has very clearly been approached from a point of view demanding support or rejection of the individual on a politically active basis by members of the organization and those who support the organizations' goals, but are not qualified members. As a result, Department of the Treasury prohibitions regarding action assumed by a tax-exempt organization in elective, political contests has been violated repeatedly in this case.

In Association of the Bar of the City of New York, 858 F2d 876, the court held that the public charity organization under examination by the court did not qualify as a tax-exempt charitable and educational organization because its rating of candidates for judgeships at the municipal, state and federal levels constituted prohibited intervention or participation in political campaigns. The ratings were communicated to the members and the public and constituted indirect political activity, not merely the dissemination of objective data, as argued by the association. This is very plainly the same type of prohibited activity, and should be considered in the same light.

Other prohibited acts that I hereby request the Department of the Treasury, Internal Revenue Service review in relation to The Public Education and Empowerment Resource Service (PEERS), and its associated public charity, the Disclosure Project include the following:

2. Part of the organization's net earnings inure to the benefit of a private shareholder or individual.

The itemized returns relative to The Public Education and Empowerment Resource Service (PEERS), and its associated educational website, wanttoknow.info, are ridiculous in light of the fact that while public "financial contributions greatly assist WantToKnow.info in becoming ever more effective both in spreading the word about major cover-ups and inviting us to work together to strengthen democracy and build a brighter future", the service actually provided at this website amounts to little more than rehashing old controversies freely available elsewhere on the internet. The link at URL :

http://www.wanttoknow.info/donationswtk

states plainly that "Your contribution goes to PEERS (Public Education and Empowerment Research Service), the nonprofit organization under which we operate. PEERS then sends your contribution directly to those responsible for the ongoing development of WantToKnow.info." And that development amounts to little more than "cut and paste". So where does all the money actually go? It goes to those who created the website as a "cash cow" for fools and the poorly educated. These guys, together with the members of the wanttoknow.info Team discussed above, have created a tax haven on the internet that also enables them to sell their wares to the ignorant. They have even provided links to set up contribution pathways from Amazon.com at URL :

http://www.wanttoknow.info/youcanhelp

Meanwhile, the services they provide cost little to set up, and nothing to maintain. They are not doing anything substantial with this money at all aside from directing the public to other questionable 501(c)(3) organizations such as already discussed "Disclosure Project", founded by wanttoknow.info Team member Stephen M. Greer, who has in turn set up additional means of collecting tax-free donations from the public. As for meeting the goals they have expounded upon in the past, including what they have set forth in their bylaws, fostering "a sense of global community based on love and cooperation" is a meaningless description of nothing more than maintaining their own websites -- a chore that one man can easily devote himself to on weekends alone. It's very telling that to date the accomplishment of their mission has not been substantially affected since the day they originated this scam. When we get right down to looking at the actual accomplishments, all PEERS has to offer in return for the tax-exempt status that the organization benefits from is a joke of a free training course called "The Hidden Knowledge Course" at URL :

http://www.wanttoknow.info/g/hidden_knowledge

that amounts to no more than a colorful regurgitation of their website.

Examination by the Department of the Treasury, Internal Revenue Service should include the following URLs currently published by the organization:

http://www.wanttoknow.info/divinewisdomunderstanding

in which this lovely claim is made: "All of the highest imaginings of humanity are yet unaware of our deepest foundation. We have sought the upper reaches of the building, yet remain unaware of the foundation's design. It is here, at the very core of existence that the Divine is bursting forth with its creative energy while simultaneously reintegrating with its invitation to wholeness. It is here that equality is realized, not in the lofty places of relative truth lodged in the hierarchy, but rather in the deepest part of the foundational plan of life's original source and ultimate destiny. The origin and destiny of existence is the tone of equality in life. Listen for this tone – this frequency of vibration – and follow it back into the very foundation from whence all things arise and return." What these guys provide is meaningless drivel, summaries of items taken from other websites across the internet, and the opportunity to prove one's knowledge of such irrelevant details by coughing up what has already been read on their website -- nothing that accounts at all for the money they've actually taken in.

Whereas the presence of a single substantial nonexempt purpose precludes exempt status for an organization under Code section 501(c)(3), it should be noted that a substantial amount of the space on the organization's Web site is intended to promote the private business interests of its president and founder. This is a substantial nonexempt purpose. Because The Public Education and Empowerment Resource Service (PEERS) has continuously engaged in nonexempt and prohibited activities, it should no longer be exempt from federal income tax.

Treas. Reg. 1.501(c)(3)-1(d)(ii) provides that an organization is not operated exclusively for exempt purposes unless it serves a public rather than a private interest. This regulation further provides that an organization must establish that it is not operated for the benefit of its creator's private interests. If examination by the Internal Revenue Service determines that a "more than insubstantial portion" of the organization's activities consist of promoting the private business interests of that organization's creator and President, or founder and Executive Director, and that in large part these activities are conducted through the organization's website, that organization is not operated exclusively for one or more qualifying exempt purposes.

In Better Business Bureau v. United States, 326 U.S. 279, 283, the court stated that the presence of a single substantial nonexempt purpose precludes exempt status for an organization, regardless of the number or importance of the exempt purposes. When a public charity engages in nonexempt and prohibited activities by promoting the private business interests of its creator and President or Executive Director through its Internet website and publishing a statement in opposition to a candidate for public office as described in Treas. Reg. 1.501(c)(3)-1(c)(3)(ii), or in favor of or opposition to a particular legislative action as described in Treas. Reg. § 1.501(c)(3)-1(c)(3)(iv), such a public charity no longer qualifies for the tax-exempt status that it enjoys.

Other prohibited acts that I hereby request the Department of the Treasury, Internal Revenue Service review in relation to The Public Education and Empowerment Resource Service (PEERS), and its associated public charity, the Disclosure Project include the following:

3. In the case of organizations that claim to be "educational", such as the The Public Education and Empowerment Resource Service (PEERS), and its associated educational website, wanttoknow.info, in support of their tax exempt claims, the method used by that organization to develop and present its views is a factor in determining whether or not the organization qualifies as "educational" within the meaning of section 501(c)(3). According to Department of the Treasury Publication 557 (Rev. June 2008), The following factors may indicate that the method is not educational :

1. The presentation of viewpoints unsupported by facts is a significant part of the organization's communications.

2. The facts that support the viewpoints are distorted.

3. The organization's presentations make substantial use of inflammatory and disparaging terms and express conclusions more on the basis of emotion than of objective evaluations.

4. The approach used is not aimed at developing an understanding on the part of the audience because it does not consider their background or training.

My appeal (attached to this document) regarding this matter includes positive examples of all of these factors in very specific detail in the attached document relative to the "Echo Flight Incident".

It should also be stressed that the educational materials provided by the organization cannot be considered "educational" within the meaning of section 501(c)(3) in the absence of a sufficiently full and fair exposition of the pertinent facts to enable the public or an individual to form an independent opinion or conclusion. Examples of this are also included in the attached document relative to the "Echo Flight Incident".

Educational purposes include instruction of the public on subjects useful to individuals for the benefit of the community and for self-development. The IRS allows a curriculum to present particular viewpoints if there "...is sufficiently full and fair exposition of pertinent facts to permit an individual or the public to form an independent opinion or conclusion." However, mere presentation of unsupported opinion is not considered educational, and that is primarily what The Disclosure Project provides. Some examples of educational purposes generally include the following :

1. publishing public interest educational materials that do not conflict with the requirement above;

2. conducting public discussion groups, forums, panels, lectures, or workshops;

3. offering a correspondence course or one that uses other media such as television or radio;

4. operating a museum, zoo, planetarium, symphony orchestra, or other performance groups;

5. serving an educational institution, such as a college bookstore, alumni association, or athletic organization; and

6. publishing educational newsletters, pamphlets, books, or other material.

The attached documents discussing the "educational" materials published by The Public Education and Empowerment Resource Service (PEERS), and its associated educational website, wanttoknow.info, make it very clear that the self-policing necessary and desired of any institution that bases its conclusions on the testimony of others is sadly lacking in this case. As a result of this deficiency, The Public Education and Empowerment Resource Service (PEERS), and its associated educational website, wanttoknow.info, do not meet the qualifications nor the standards necessary to benefit from the tax-exempt status they currently enjoy.

For an example of the ridiculous educational materials offered by this group of mountebanks and con-men, please note :

http://www.wanttoknow.info/ufos/robert_salas_ufo

and :

http://www.wanttoknow.info/ufos/ufos_nu ... s_shutdown

This is not the kind of organization the United States government should be granting a tax-exempt status as an "educational" public charity to. Standards set this low are a joke, and provide the citizenry of this nation with nothing even approaching information of an educative value. By allowing a tax-exempt status to this organization, the United States Department of the Treasury, Internal Revenue Service is not merely granting them a benefit most citizens do not enjoy for providing a service most citizens will not employ, it also sends the rest of this country a very clear message that if you add enough b.s. to anything, the government will not simply cheer you on and give you a pat on the back for doing so, it will officially elevate your efforts to a status just below what we normally reserve for established religions.

Given the deferential standard of review necessary, and given the fact that the burden is on the taxpayer seeking exemption to demonstrate that it is in fact entitled to tax-exempt status, see Granzow v. Commissioner, 739 F.2d 265, 268 (7th Cir.1984) (per curiam) ("Exemption from income taxation is a matter of legislative grace. A taxpayer requesting an exemption must demonstrate compliance with the specific requirements set forth in the statute granting the exemption.... The party claiming the exemption bears the burden of proof of entitlement"), public request of the IRS to conduct an honest review of that status under 501(c)(3) for any of the above prohibited acts should not be denied.

Whereas 26 U.S.C. § 7428(a)(2) provides that the United States Tax Court, the United States Claims Court, or the district court of the United States for the District of Columbia may make a declaration with respect to the initial or continuing qualification of an organization under 501(c)(3), I hereby request that the IRS utilize all such avenues available if necessary.

Should the Department of the Treasury, Internal Revenue Service reach the same conclusions as that of the citizen(s) requesting this appeal, said citizen(s) hereby request as well that the processing of income tax returns and assessment of any taxes due not be delayed in the event a petition for declaratory judgment has been filed under section 7428 of the Code.

In my opinion the actions taken by The Public Education and Empowerment Resource Service (PEERS), and its associated educational website, wanttoknow.info, are personally and morally offensive; my studies have assured me that belief in the strengths inherent to honorable pursuits and the honest application of human endeavor is a valued ethical guideline held as well by the United States Department of the Treasury. I hereby request of that body the review and subsequent revocation of the above tax-exempt status currently held by The Public Education and Empowerment Resource Service (PEERS), and its associated educational website, wanttoknow.info. The goals admitted by the organization as indicated above make it very clear that they intend to act as a catalyst for a public demand of very specific legislation, and qualify thereby as an "action" organization. In addition, the noted abuses described regarding the "educational" materials provided by the organization upon which it bases the need for the legislative actions described reveal the actual value of the services assumed, and should be taken into account in regard to this matter.

Most sincerely,
James Carlson
jtcarl@yahoo.com
[personal phone numbers and address removed]
Albuquerque, NM
87108

In my opinion, these people are hoodwinking others with folk stories that are lies, pure and simple. If you feel the same way, I would recommend that you request further review of their tax exempt roles. You are welcome to use my research to do so; you are welcome to use entire publications if you believe it would be helpful. I have never sought copyright protection regarding the Echo Flight work I've completed, and I have never charged anybody a single cent to review it, copy it, read it, or burn it. Please consider it easy pickings. What's being done here is characterized by the criminal use of our tax laws and the public's general naivete and ignorance of military procedure and practical classified materials protocol to establish fallacy as fact to rewrite our American History. These people are little more than thieves, and they should be prevented from profiting off of the very human history that they have hijacked and are attempting to sell piecemeal. I am confident that the results requested are possible if enough people are as pissed off as I am.

Never underestimate the power behind the self-righteous regard of another man's insanity. And you're welcome to interpret that as you will.
User avatar
James Carlson
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality
 
Posts: 783
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:11 am
Location: Albuquerque, NM

Re: so what are they pulling down? after taxes?

Postby ryguy » Wed May 04, 2011 1:41 pm

This is one of the most impressive research threads that I've seen in a very long time...nice work guys.

-Ryan
---
"Only a fool of a scientist would dismiss the evidence and reports in front of him and substitute his own beliefs in their place." - Paul Kurtz

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
User avatar
ryguy
1 of the RU3
 
Posts: 4920
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:49 am
Location: Another Dimension

Re: so what are they pulling down? after taxes?

Postby Luck » Thu May 05, 2011 1:56 am

Access Denied wrote: I meant to post this earlier regarding Michael Salla (not to be confused with Salas lol) who’s a relatively minor player (practically non-existent I note since the RU team busted the “Source A”/”Secret UN Meeting” hoax) but still managed to rake in over $300,000 from 2005 to 2009…


I just glanced at the 2008 and 2009 returns for Greer's non-profit. Interestingly enough, there was a huge spike in 2008 for contributions and grants totaling $693,888.00. By 2009, contributions had dropped to $14,582. Where exactly was that money coming from in 2008 given that the economy was still in a hard and fast spiral downward?


Greer's description of his activities in 2009:
Research: 4 week-long research expeditions/ 1-3 day event / 5-2 day events
These events provides [sic] research opportunities and trained approximately 690 individuals to do research in their home locations. These expeditions include night-time viewing of the sky and recording of anomalous events with subsequent evaluation by the group.
Research: Discussions and interviews with military, scientific and corporate witnesses and whistleblowers who have have worked on or seen ET vehicles under human control or who have worked on vehicles back engineered from downed ET vehicles. These witnesses find out about CSETI through the website and networking.

Education:
1) books, CDs, DVDs, website content provide [sic] detailed educational material about CSETI finding [sic] from the research cited above. This year we offered a new book with a compilation of information about trainings since 1992 with a DVD of some photos taken more recently.
2) Workshops and trainings mentioned in section of 4a are research vehicles, but also educate regarding how to make peaceful contact with Extraterrestrial civilizations.
3) interviews on radio programs, participation in credible documentaries, 2x/month interview program on WorldPuja.org - reaches tens of thousands if not more.
4) lectures -provides information about CSETI goals, objectives and findings - reaching several 1000
5) high level meetings - networking and providing materials to high level leaders of society


I couldn't resist a peek and discovered that worldpuja.org also hosts shows such as:
"Pleiadian Self-Awakening Transmissions" (no, really!)
I think the surest sign that there is intelligent life out there in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." (Calvin and Hobbes/Bill Waterson)
User avatar
Luck
Reality Is In Sight
Reality Is In Sight
 
Posts: 239
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:19 am
Location: Midwest

Re: so what are they pulling down? after taxes?

Postby jjflash » Fri May 06, 2011 2:43 pm

May I be the next to offer my appreciation, lady and gentlemen, on some practical and relevant research of the UFO community. Very, very nice work!

Some related comments and pet peaves:

Unknown to most of the UFO community, many of the ufology organizations are nonprofit public charities. Most people have no idea what that means, its significance, and could not care much less. They simply want to hear about abductees and aliens and all that good stuff.

The term 'nonprofit corporation' is simply a classification of corporations and as determined by the IRS. The majority of the general public, even if they are aware of what type of corporation they are dealing with when they are sitting in, for example, a MUFON meeting, remain largely unaware that the designation has nothing to do with amounts of cash flow or, well, profit. It is completely legal and considered both ethical and critical to the sustainability of the corporation for the org to turn a profit. Furthermore, vast amounts of money can be generated and used in any number of capacities as long as a few rules are adhered to which enable the organization to maintain its IRS status as a nonprofit corporation.

What indeed becomes relevant to those who care enough to pay attention, is that a public charity must supply its IRS Form 990, the standard financial reporting form for such corporations, when said form is requested. The vast, vast majority of nonprofit corporations therefore make the forms easily accessible on their websites. Doing so promotes public trust and transparency, both of which are smiled upon heavily within the nonprofit industry - except for nonprofit UFO organizations, who have yet to catch up with the rest of the nonprofit sector.

Very few nonprofit corporations within ufology make their 990 forms readily available on their websites. As researchers in this thread obviously know, sites such as Guidestar.org post a number of 990 forms from various organizations, and is therefore one of many good resources.

However, most ufology nonprofits indeed operate with very, very little transparency in either financial matters or standards of reporting details of their activities. I very much encourage boycotting both organizations and individuals that require our financial support to continue their activities that, in many circumstances, are outright detrimental to ufology, and, in certain other cases, will not even tell us what they are doing.
jjflash
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:40 pm

Re: so what are they pulling down? after taxes?

Postby James Carlson » Sat May 07, 2011 2:30 am

Thanks for correcting any possible misconceptions, jjflash. As you say, transparency isn't simply an ethical guideline for nonprofit corporations -- it's a legal requirement established to maintain tax exempt status, the necessity for which has been repeatedly affirmed by those groups throughout our nation's history that have attempted illegal money-laundering at no cost. Money accepted as payment for products or intelligence or services has to be declared in order to be taxed, and cannot be refined or pasteurized or anything else that might produce hidden funds as a result. We expect more from such institutions for exactly that among other reasons.

It is true that to at least some extent this expectation has resulted in a public that tends to project a sense of moral responsibility upon such groups, a tendency that I for one believe is not always deserved. We look at the nation's legal practices in this manner and recognize the same affirmation that has been offered to organized religious institutions, asserting that the justification must be similar for similar reasons. The separation of church and state, however, is not the motivation for our sustained use of tax exemption when religion is not the issue, and I for one do not see any reason to project a similar ethical characteristic for that reason.

In the case of the groups we've discussed above, the issue revolves around the educational services provided by theos groups, and like any other quality claimed, "educational" has to be justified and maintained. In the case of groups that consider it approrpiate to justify their status on the quality of the services they provide, it is my opinion that an educational service cannot be defined under the weight of blatant falsehoods, easily proven lies, and asserted opinion regarding undocumented history that has been repeatedly shown as confined primarily to the imagination in denial of all other known facts. And where that is the only intrinsic character of the service provided, the requirements necessary for tax exemption have not been maintained. That reason alone demands the removal of the exemption.

Groups like PEERS, for instance, insist that they provide an educational service simply because they package their UFO lies and proven fallacious testimony in a few platitudes collected from the Bible, or far eastern books of wisdom or ancient lore. I find the justification pathetic and a patent waste of everybody's time and effort, and I believe that the status should be revoked by the Department of the Treasury for those among other reasons. There's no denial that Confucious was probably a wise man in his day, and there's no denial that the disciplined exercise of one's mind can help a great deal to resolve personal problems related to stress or the outbreak of psoriasis or whatever, but this is not sufficient reason to consider the really outrageous and easily proven faked testimony of mountebanks and con-men like Robert Salas and Robert Hastings to be "educational" and worthy of the respect we willingly offer to religious institutions. After all, brushing your teeth can make a person who has had a hard day feel better just before he tries to sleep at night, but Colgate still has to pay federal taxes, and they aren't tossing in all the irrelevant crap and the blatant lies that PEERS forces a person to digest along with the "penny saved is a penny earned" type of educational phrases they're actually offering up to justify that tax exemption.

I can say without any doubt whatsoever that Mr. Fred Burks, the primary "shareholder" at PEERS, doesn't seem to give a damn one way or the other whether or not the articles that Robert Salas has provided him are true or not. I've given him the means to prove what occured at Echo Flight, for instance, including the means to contact my father, Colonel Walt Figel, and Colonel Frederick Meiwald -- to date the only names that Salas has ever presented to confirm any of the momentous events he insists took place within the launch control centers at all of the flights his testimony discusses. Since all three of these men have repeatedly refused to confirm the events Salas maintained occurred or insist outright that Salas has been lying to the public about it since 1995, this testimony is hardly irrelevant to the claims. Unfortunately, Fred Burks (and PEERS) apparently doesn't care, and yet he insists that the educational service he provides is genuine. Not only do I strongly disagree, I think we've proven repeatedly how wrong he is.

As far as I'm concerned, the only obstacle remaining is to convince the IRS to take a second look at the justification these groups have provided. I've already attempted to do this once, and anything further along those lines from me could be called harassment, so I have no intention of contacting anybody in the Department of Treasury again regarding this issue. It would be self-defeating to do so. I will continue, however, to recommend to those who feel as I do that they should make their concerns known to the IRS themselves. It's very easy to do (it can even be done via email once you've filled out the only form required), and you are welcome to use any of the research or justifications that I myself have already provided. I believe that they will take a more urgently appropriate second look if they are offered more reason to do so by those who continue to request it of them, but I am under no illusion that my request alone will be given the attention I believe it deserves.
User avatar
James Carlson
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality
 
Posts: 783
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:11 am
Location: Albuquerque, NM

Re: so what are they pulling down? after taxes?

Postby jjflash » Mon May 09, 2011 10:14 pm

Hello, James Carlson -

Thank you for your post. I appreciate it. You bring up valid points worthy of consideration. I would like to expand and comment on some of the issues related to nonprofit corporations that I think members of the UFO community would be well advised to keep in mind.

For starters, nonprofit organizations have a long and well documented history of providing cover for military black budget projects. There are many potential advantages to nonprofit foundations and corporations serving as conduits for shuffling funds, ultimately carrying out research and various activities as directed by the Department of Defense and its sub-agencies. This of course does not mean that every nonprofit organization should be considered suspect, but it is what it is.

Another point that I think is worth considering is the IRS, the agency that creates the definitions of nonprofit status and how to maintain said status, is not particularly interested in what any given organization does. As I understand it, the IRS is about money and the money trail; they are much more concerned about how an organization funds their activities than the practical value or even the validity of the activities. In short, maintaining nonprofit status largely comes down to an organization receiving a certain percentage of their revenue from donations. If a 501(c)3 public charity receives at least a third of its annual revenue in private donations, the IRS defines it as a nonprofit organization and largely considers it the responsibility of the public/donors to know what is being done with the money they freely give.

Obviously, this does not always work out so well, to say the least. There are of course many stories of charity-scams.

There are certain organizations, such as Charity Navigator (charitynavigator.org), that provide specific reports on nonprofit charities for the benefit of the public. Watchdog organizations, if you will. Charity Navigator, for instance, rates charities based on factors such as percentage of total annual funds allocated to program services as compared to salaries, and similar such relevant information, in order to help potential donors make well informed choices.

As it may relate more specifically to ufology, perhaps such a watchdog organization is indeed needed, specifically for monitoring UFO organizations. While RU does a very good job at reporting on various circumstances from a practical perspective of critical thinking, perhaps yet another approach would be to simply report on the financials and activities of nonprofit organizations within ufology. Hopkins' Intruders Foundation, the exos and their "big news" du jour, MUFON and all of their arguing about where the money came from and where it went (and many more such circumstances) are all reasonable places to ask for more detailed explanations of operations and expenses.

I appreciate your concern about these issues, James. I would be very upset about the Malmstrom saga if I had been involved in it to the extent you have been. While there is little that can be done to change IRS codes and the opinions of people that are all too willing to prematurely believe a sensational story, I think your activism is nonetheless important. People who sincerely want to know the truth have a way of finding it, and they need activists along the way.
jjflash
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:40 pm

Re: so what are they pulling down? after taxes?

Postby Access Denied » Tue May 10, 2011 6:41 am

jjflash wrote:For starters, nonprofit organizations have a long and well documented history of providing cover for military black budget projects.

Interesting, can you cite a few examples?

If any of them are related to Bigelow's efforts (NIDS and BAASS) for example, I would urge you to consider the possibility that is what some associated with those efforts, and some who are not, would like you and others to think. Same with most, if not all, of the early private UFO organizations...

AD
Men go and come but Earth abides.
User avatar
Access Denied
1 of the RU3
 
Posts: 2740
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:32 am
Location: [redacted]

Re: so what are they pulling down? after taxes?

Postby jjflash » Tue May 10, 2011 3:44 pm

Access Denied wrote:
jjflash wrote:For starters, nonprofit organizations have a long and well documented history of providing cover for military black budget projects.

Interesting, can you cite a few examples?


In a 1977 NY Times article titled, Private Institutions Used in CIA Effort to Control Behavior; 25-Year, $25 Million Program ( http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstract. ... ior&st=cse ) an investigative team reported such circumstances. The nonprofit organizations known as the Society for the Investigation of Human Ecology and the Geshikter Foundation for Medical Research acted as funding entities for covert "behavior modification" projects such as Bluebird and Artichoke. The article stated the Geshikter Foundation funded work conducted by Jolyon West at UCLA and as directed by MKUltra project director Sid Gottleib.

The article also stated 'Human Ecology' had funding ties, such as payroll, to the operations at Allan Memorial Institute in Montreal. That particular MKUltra sub-project of course went on to become known as one of the most heinous operations ever disclosed, resulting in the U.S. Department of Defense paying damages to some of its known victims. The article further stated that the Gershikter Foundation provided funding for Bluebird and Artichoke operations conducted at Mount Sinai Hospital, later funded by the Macy Foundation.

In a 1988 NY Times article, C.I.A. Near Settlement of Lawsuit By Subjects of Mind-Control Tests
( http://www.nytimes.com/1988/10/06/world ... ior&st=cse ), author Philip Shenon reported, "Through one of the foundations, the agency funneled tens of thousands of dollars to Dr. Cameron (at Allan Memorial) to pay for an array of experiments that involved LSD, electroshock therapy and a procedure known as 'psychic driving,' in which patients listened to a recorded message repeatedly for up to 16 hours." Basically, AD, history went on to show us that nonprofit foundations were operated on behalf of the CIA to fund the entire MKUltra saga, sometimes without the full knowledge of foundation board members and key personnel. The same lack of full organizational knowledge can also be said about some of the grant recipients, or institutions that conducted the research, in which facility leaders were not always fully aware of what the project personnel were actually doing or where the awarded funds had originated.

The military intelligence community has a long and well documented history of using nonprofit organizations to distribute funds. There are a great deal of potential advantages, ranging from secrecy to turning the current funds into more funds via putting the funds in interest bearing accounts and so on.
jjflash
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:40 pm

Re: so what are they pulling down? after taxes?

Postby ryguy » Tue May 10, 2011 5:46 pm

The military intelligence community has a long and well documented history of using nonprofit organizations to distribute funds. There are a great deal of potential advantages, ranging from secrecy to turning the current funds into more funds via putting the funds in interest bearing accounts and so on.


That's right - it's not just in the area of "woo-woo" research - it's widely known and documented that the CIA uses front organizations to distribute funds or support to organizations or countries. A perfect example is the method the CIA (okay, technically the Israelis) used to allegedly distribute the Stuxnet virus to take out Iran's nuclear production facilities.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... -Iran.html

Mossad's covert operations cover a range of activities. The former CIA operative revealed how Israeli and US intelligence co-operated with European companies working in Iran to obtain photographs and other confidential material about Iranian nuclear and missile sites.

"It was a real company that operated from time to time in Iran and in the nature of their legitimate business came across information on various suspect Iranian facilities," he said.

Israel has also used front companies to infiltrate the Iranian purchasing network that the clerical regime uses to circumvent United Nations sanctions and obtain so-called "dual use" items – metals, valves, electronics, machinery – for its nuclear programme.

The businesses initially supply Iran with legitimate material, winning Tehran's trust, and then start to deliver faulty or defective items that "poison" the country's atomic activities.


It's pretty much a given that they use front companies to support highly classified/black activities, but I think the real question is the motive behind supporting or funding those activities. That's not always really clear in all cases.

-Ryan
---
"Only a fool of a scientist would dismiss the evidence and reports in front of him and substitute his own beliefs in their place." - Paul Kurtz

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
User avatar
ryguy
1 of the RU3
 
Posts: 4920
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:49 am
Location: Another Dimension

Re: so what are they pulling down? after taxes?

Postby ryguy » Tue May 10, 2011 6:32 pm

I should add that, as AD correctly points out, there's no evidence that supports early Ufo organizations were government front organizations - of all of the documents that have undergone mandatory review for declassification and have been declassified, not one iota of proof those Ufo orgs were ever part of any secret black-project activity. I'd love it if someone could reply to this and prove that statement wrong. :-)

-Ryan
---
"Only a fool of a scientist would dismiss the evidence and reports in front of him and substitute his own beliefs in their place." - Paul Kurtz

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
User avatar
ryguy
1 of the RU3
 
Posts: 4920
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:49 am
Location: Another Dimension

Re: so what are they pulling down? after taxes?

Postby Access Denied » Wed May 11, 2011 5:09 am

jjflash wrote:The military intelligence community has a long and well documented history of using nonprofit organizations to distribute funds.

Thanks for the reference however the CIA is not the military...

It's fairly common knowledge the CIA had historically been subject to considerably less oversight than they should have and has been given fairly wide latitude to make use of some umm... pretty “creative” financing arrangements.

Of course their ability to operate in the US and spy on US citizens was severely curtailed as result of the investigation into their activities (and that of other agencies) by the Church Committee in 1975...

United States Senate Select Committee to Study Governmental Operations
with Respect to Intelligence Activities

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_Committee

Anyway, unless you have some evidence, and the amounts in particular to present, of any private UFO organizations or individuals being funded by the government, I’m afraid this is off topic.

[although it might be a good topic for a new thread]
Men go and come but Earth abides.
User avatar
Access Denied
1 of the RU3
 
Posts: 2740
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:32 am
Location: [redacted]

PreviousNext

Google

Return to UFOs

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 13 guests

cron