UFO or blimp?

General UFO stories

Moderators: ryguy, chrLz, Zep Tepi

Re: UFO or blimp?

Postby DoomsdayRex » Fri May 27, 2011 10:44 pm

astrophotographer wrote:My feelings exactly. What kind of scientist makes these kinds of statements.

Stanton Friedman.

astrophotographer wrote:Anyway, criticism is not being directed at the witness but at Capp and his "scientist" friend, who did an awful job of invesitgating this before promoting. They appear to be blinded by the "will to believe".

It is not a will-to-believe but cynicism. It is purposeful. Criticism of any case needs to be cast as an attack on the witness so they have an excuse to dismiss the criticism without thought. Ufology is the only science (using the term in the loosest sense possible) where criticism is not only unwelcome but actively silenced.
If anyone can show me and prove to me that I am wrong in thought or deed I will gladly change. I seek the truth which never yet hurt anybody. It is only persistence in self-delusion and ignorance which does harm. -- Marcus Aurelias
DoomsdayRex
In Search of Reality
In Search of Reality

Postby Luck » Fri May 27, 2011 11:00 pm

astrophotographer wrote:EDIT: Oh btw, the last part of the video looks like a different date and the date stamp is probably correct. It was November 20, 2010. Anything happening at Yankee stadium that night?

I am striking out...

I am unable to find a specific reference to the Fuji or Goodyear blimps for that date. In addition, there were unmarked blimps seen in NYC as recently at 2007. I also saw a few articles that Homeland Security was using (or had considered using) blimps for surveillance on the East Coast and the NYPD used the Fuji blimp for surveillance during the Republican National Convention in 2004.
I think the surest sign that there is intelligent life out there in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." (Calvin and Hobbes/Bill Waterson)
Luck
Reality Is In Sight
Reality Is In Sight

Postby astrophotographer » Sat May 28, 2011 12:45 am

Luck wrote:
astrophotographer wrote:EDIT: Oh btw, the last part of the video looks like a different date and the date stamp is probably correct. It was November 20, 2010. Anything happening at Yankee stadium that night?

I am striking out...

I am unable to find a specific reference to the Fuji or Goodyear blimps for that date. In addition, there were unmarked blimps seen in NYC as recently at 2007. I also saw a few articles that Homeland Security was using (or had considered using) blimps for surveillance on the East Coast and the NYPD used the Fuji blimp for surveillance during the Republican National Convention in 2004.

I am too but the game was on NBC and nationally televised with A LOT OF HYPE. They would have had a blimp present. Metlife and directTV also have blimps. Unfortunately, they don't really have public records of the activities on line. My guess is I will have to contact Goodyear, Metlife, and directTV to see if their blimps were present.
astrophotographer
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality

Postby James Carlson » Sat May 28, 2011 12:56 am

You might try the New York City FSDO (Flight Standards District Office) -- see http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/fie ... c/contact/ -- I would think they would have some records, but I don't know how long they would they would keep them on file. I tried the NY Yankees office, but they said I had to call the stadium, and since that looked to be a long conversation, I didn't follow through with it. Sorry....
James Carlson
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality

Postby Luck » Sat May 28, 2011 1:53 am

astrophotographer wrote:I am too but the game was on NBC and nationally televised with A LOT OF HYPE. They would have had a blimp present. Metlife and directTV also have blimps. Unfortunately, they don't really have public records of the activities on line. My guess is I will have to contact Goodyear, Metlife, and directTV to see if their blimps were present.

As much as I like to debunk these things...We are talking about an incident filmed on really, really crappy magnetic tape with a date that has yet to be confirmed. Capp says it has been over a year but he refuse to confirm the date of the sighting and the two contradictory dates on the tape would seem to indicate the event occurred seven to eight months ago.
Which leads me to believe that either this is a glaring error of omission or he is being deceptive so he can pull a "gotcha" on us skeptics.
I think the surest sign that there is intelligent life out there in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." (Calvin and Hobbes/Bill Waterson)
Luck
Reality Is In Sight
Reality Is In Sight

Postby astrophotographer » Sat May 28, 2011 2:20 am

If he is pulling a "gotcha", how can one trust what he says? I doubt that this is the case and I have to assume the video is as presented. Looking at the videos, it seems likely that the entire video is two different events. The lighting in the November 20th section appears different than the September 26.
astrophotographer
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality

Postby Access Denied » Sat May 28, 2011 5:54 pm

Excuse me but isn’t the elephant in the room here that regardless of what date(s) these “surprising” lights in the sky actually appeared on (two dates actually doubles the size of the elephant) and considering the location (one of the most, if not the most, densely populated in the US) this occurred, if this was truly an anomalous (or particularly confusing) event, wouldn’t hundreds, if not thousands of people have reported it (and/or more than one recorded it) and would it not have been all over the local news?

I’m sorry but at this point I must admit I’m leaning towards a deliberate hoax, if not on part of the witness(es) who simply may not have understood what they were looking at for whatever reason, then certainly on Capp…

[who should know better before thrusting them into the “limelight” as it were if he truly was an advocate of shielding witnesses from ridicule and not simply taking advantage of them for his own benefit]
Men go and come but Earth abides.
Access Denied
1 of the RU3

Postby Luck » Sat May 28, 2011 6:50 pm

astrophotographer wrote:If he is pulling a "gotcha", how can one trust what he says?

astro,
I am not trying to be critical of your efforts. Personally, I am not sure that Capp is that reliable to begin with; regardless if his intent is outright deception, attention seeking, or just sloppy record keeping. There isn't enough reliable data to even validate or debunk this one. I don't have access to the witness to even just confirm the date, and I certainly don't know how reliable the date stamp on this video is. I owned a couple of devices that I was lazy about programming dates for because they ate through batteries and/or the process to set was a real headache.
And my reservations about this grow as Capp seems unwilling to put up AD's comments regarding our initial research.

Access Denied wrote:Excuse me but isn’t the elephant in the room here that regardless of what date(s) these “surprising” lights in the sky actually appeared on (two dates actually doubles the size of the elephant) and considering the location (one of the most, if not the most, densely populated in the US) this occurred, if this was truly an anomalous (or particularly confusing) event, wouldn’t hundreds, if not thousands of people have reported it (and/or more than one recorded it) and would it not have been all over the local news?

Yeah, well...There's that too. #-o
Luck
Reality Is In Sight
Reality Is In Sight

Postby astrophotographer » Sat May 28, 2011 8:13 pm

I attempted to contact Goodyear and see if they can tell me if their blimps were present on the dates in question.

We can only go with the data we have at this point. What the data shows so far is that there was plenty of reason to suspect a blimp and no reason to suspect that it was some form of exotic craft made by "someone else". This goes to the heart of the story I wrote in the last issue of SUNlite. I mentioned sporting events and this apparently involves sporting events (as well as a densely populated area). Nobody noticed the "exotic craft", which implies the video is of something more mundane. In this case, probably a blimp.
astrophotographer
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality

Postby Luck » Mon May 30, 2011 2:27 am

astrophotographer wrote:We can only go with the data we have at this point.

True. I have left a comment on Capp's website nicely asking to confirm the date of the sighting so I (we, really) can validate if there were sightings by other witnesses on that day (as well as validate which blimps were around).
Luck
Reality Is In Sight
Reality Is In Sight

Postby astrophotographer » Tue May 31, 2011 5:35 pm

I received the following response from Goodyear's Doug Grassian:

Tim,

None of the three Goodyear blimps were over Yankee stadium during below timeframes.. Thx.

> ----- Forwarded by Susan Clark/NA/GDYR on 05/28/2011 11:38 AM -----
>
> tprinty@comcast.net
> 05/27/2011 09:24 PM
>
>
> To: blimp_internet@goodyear.com
> cc:
> Subject: Goodyear blimp activities
>
> A Goodyear website user has submitted a request through the
> corporate contact form. Please address the concern accordingly.
> Name: Tim Printy
> Phone:
> Address:
> Message:
> I am trying to determine if one of your blimps was over Yankee
> stadium on September 26, 2010 and November 20, 2010. Any assistance
> is appreciated.

Not what I expected at all. I figured, they would confirm the 26th based on the press item Luck found. However, one has to realize that there were three games that weekend and the blimp may not have been there for the last one. So, we may have to go searching for another blimp candidate.
astrophotographer
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality

Postby ryguy » Tue May 31, 2011 7:42 pm

I'd check if the Conan Blimp was in the area - they were doing flyovers throughout October but I haven't read anything about November.

I also haven't read the description or seen the video so if it wasn't a big orange UFO then it probably wasn't Conan. :-)

http://blimp.teamcoco.com/

-Ryan
---
"Only a fool of a scientist would dismiss the evidence and reports in front of him and substitute his own beliefs in their place." - Paul Kurtz

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
ryguy
1 of the RU3

Postby astrophotographer » Tue May 31, 2011 11:27 pm

ryguy wrote:I'd check if the Conan Blimp was in the area - they were doing flyovers throughout October but I haven't read anything about November.

I also haven't read the description or seen the video so if it wasn't a big orange UFO then it probably wasn't Conan. :-)

http://blimp.teamcoco.com/

-Ryan

They did not start until October as best I can tell and the video does not show an orange blimp. It acts like a blimp with lights in the video, It apparently was in the direction of a Yankee stadium, and there were major nationally televised sporting events at Yankee stadium. The only thing missing is which Blimp. I am not sure what I will get if I send back the article to goodyear or if they will even respond. I asked for specific dates and my guess is that the blimp was at the Yankees game but not the Sunday night game because the blimp had to go some place else. There are videos of the blimp being in Plymouth Massachussetts in Mid-September. METLife tends to do golf tournaments. That leaves Direct TV.

The November 20th video may not even be a blimp. It looks different and behaves differently from what I can see. It may be just a helicopter near the stadium seen from a distance.
astrophotographer
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality

Postby Luck » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:38 am

I found this on a blog of a professional sports photographer:
I've been working with the DirecTV Blimp. We write back and forth. DirecTV is usually above Yankee Stadium in the regular season -- they provide tape for MLB -- but not for the playoffs.

"The Conan Blimp is above all the playoff games," they write. "Our next chance over Yankee Stadium is the World Series."

here: http://suzyallman.typepad.com/suzy_allman/2010/10/blimp.html

The Direct TV angle might be worth pursuing. I still would feel more comfortable if I could pin down the dates.
Luck
Reality Is In Sight
Reality Is In Sight

Postby astrophotographer » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:34 pm

I thought I might have stumbled across another source last night. A business called airship management was nearby but I received this email this AM:

Dear Tim,

Thank you for your email. We were not flying in the New York area during that time last year. Sorry we can't be of further assistance.

Kind regards,
Airship Management Services, Inc.
Two Soundview Drive
Greenwich, CT 06830 USA

I am currently trying to figure out how to contact Direct TV about their blimp. So far no luck in even locating somebody in charge or who could help.
astrophotographer
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality

PreviousNext

Google

Return to UFOs