Annie Jacobsen's Area 51 [Roswell Version 11.0]

General UFO stories

Moderators: ryguy, chrLz, Zep Tepi

Re: Annie Jacobsen's Area 51 [Roswell Version 11.0]

Postby ryguy » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:20 pm

subdivisions wrote:It's not Jacobsen's fault, it's ours, because we buy the books, go to the conferences and follow them on twitter. There are not enough of us who are willing to demand hard proof from the people hawking their wares.

Ugh, I'm rambling! Sorry about that.

That's some Grade A rambling. :-)

-Ryan
---
"Only a fool of a scientist would dismiss the evidence and reports in front of him and substitute his own beliefs in their place." - Paul Kurtz

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
ryguy
1 of the RU3

Postby James Carlson » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:54 pm

subdivisions wrote:It's not Jacobsen's fault, it's ours, because we buy the books, go to the conferences and follow them on twitter. There are not enough of us who are willing to demand hard proof from the people hawking their wares.

Ugh, I'm rambling! Sorry about that.

That's not rambling -- that's the start of a grade-A rant, something I often find myself doing; nothing to apologize for, there, I assure you. Sometimes, it's the most expressive way to say something important.

As to the comment above it, however, I will not accept blame for the fig-heads in the world today. There's plenty of places someone in America can easily arrange to get a real education, even if it's an education they've determined to give themselves with no backup from the parents or community. The problem is not the fact that so few of us are willing to demand hard proof; the problem is that people like Annie Jacobsen are unwilling to provide it. She makes her bed, and she has to sleep in it, just like everybody else.
James Carlson
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality

Postby subdivisions » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:35 am

The problem is not the fact that so few of us are willing to demand hard proof; the problem is that people like Annie Jacobsen are unwilling to provide it.

I believe that the above assessment is true to some degree. But I still blame the stereotypical slack-jawed hayseed with too much disposable income and not enough gumption to get past a catchy title. It seems we live in a time where proof isn't as important as a cool story, and facts fall prey to a plausible but not probable plotline.
There's a long road,...I've gotta stay in time with, YEAH!
I've got to keep on chasing that dream,...though I may never find it.
I'm always just behind it!
subdivisions

Postby James Carlson » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:35 am

Well, it's definitely hard to argue with that. :-k
James Carlson
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality

Postby mosfet » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:04 pm

Can you imagine if Casey Anthony decided to write a book about her alien abduction? She could fill in every little detail and the book would be so believable that all the Yahoo tinfoils would be talking about it on all the UFO bulletin boards and she would be rich. If only she knew about UFO bulletin boards before killing the poor defenseless kid.

An inside source says that during the jury selection process the defense attorneys had but one question for potential jurors. That one question was -- do you believe in UFOs? (because if you do you would believe anything which is sorely needed for her defence)

And on another note, balloon boy is trying to get back in the lime light.
mosfet
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby James Carlson » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:31 pm

mosfet wrote:Can you imagine if Casey Anthony decided to write a book about her alien abduction? She could fill in every little detail and the book would be so believable that all the Yahoo tinfoils would be talking about it on all the UFO bulletin boards and she would be rich. If only she knew about UFO bulletin boards before killing the poor defenseless kid.

An inside source says that during the jury selection process the defense attorneys had but one question for potential jurors. That one question was -- do you believe in UFOs? (because if you do you would believe anything which is sorely needed for her defence)

And on another note, balloon boy is trying to get back in the lime light.

IRT to the Anthony case: with a bit of luck and a little grace, the prosecution and the judge will keep the focus on the little girl where it belongs, and leave Mommy's flakiness to be debated somewhere in the back lot of Kellogg's. According to the news, they were at least partially successful at placing a corpse inside the residence, albeit one they've been unable to identify for the moment, so we can at least hope that an appropriate case is under development.

IRT to "balloon boy": is this the kid who swiped his Daddy's weather observation platform (for want of better identifying terms)? I was under the impression that his father was the attention seeker in that family. Of course, a case can probably be made that everybody wants more attention, but if we're talking about the same sad little group of people (the family who tried to interest producers in a reality TV show observing the whole family), the desire for more publicity is probably bodering on "shameful excess."

Why is it all too often the children who end up paying for the "shameful excess" exhibited by their parents? I personally would LOVE to get a video of one of the prosecution lawyers in the Casey Anthony trial pointing his finger at the defense table and yelling to the jury "Nobody gives a damn about that woman's pathetic alien abduction scenarios, and we believe this court should avoid any further mention of it!" If I had something like that, I would create a website for no other purpose than to loop the damn thing 24-hours a day.

<:beemup:> I wouldn't even leave a space for comments at the bottom ...
James Carlson
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality

Previous

Google

Return to UFOs