The most popular UFO stories

General UFO stories

Moderators: ryguy, chrLz, Zep Tepi

The most popular UFO stories

Postby Zep Tepi » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:40 am

I was wondering what everyone thinks are the top 5 UFO stories out there. They don't have to be current and known hoaxes are allowed.

My personal top 5 are:

1. The Aztec Crash
2. Roswell
3. Holloman Landing
4. Rendlesham Forest Incident
5. Phoenix Lights

Also, which UFO-tale do you think influences the most people that alien visitation is real?
I'll go with Roswell.

Finally, what do you dislike about the UFO field?
I hate the "there's so many sightings by so many people, something MUST be going on" line, personally.

Over to you guys :)

Cheers,
Steve
Zep Tepi
1 of the RU3

Re: The most popular UFO stories

Postby astrophotographer » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:11 am

Depends on what group you are talking to. Certain groups champion various UFO cases and others dismiss them. Paul Kimball's top 10 UFO cases were picked by vote if I recall correctly. However, if you look at most popular (not "best evidence"), because of the promotion effect, I would say:

1. Roswell
2. Rendlesham
3. Arizona (phoenix) UFOs
4. Stephenville
5. Anything involving the world's best UFO promoter/pitchman (i.e. Sales pitch) after Stanton Friedman -- Robert Hastings. That would probably start with the Echo-November-Oscar (take your pick) missile shutdown.
astrophotographer
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality

Postby the|exx » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:00 pm

Zep Tepi wrote:I was wondering what everyone thinks are the top 5 UFO stories out there. They don't have to be current and known hoaxes are allowed.

My personal top 5 are:

1. The Aztec Crash
2. Roswell
3. Holloman Landing
4. Rendlesham Forest Incident
5. Phoenix Lights

Nice topic Zeppers.. Mine are as follows - but are subject to change depending on my mood.. lol

1. Rendlesham Forrest
2. Kecksburg Crash
3. Cash Landrum Case
4. Shag Harbor
5. Tehran UFO incident (F-4 Phantom Jet Fighter Pilot)
Zep Tepi wrote:Also, which UFO-tale do you think influences the most people that alien visitation is real?
I'll go with Roswell.

Whitley Strieber has a lot to answer for!
Zep Tepi wrote:Finally, what do you dislike about the UFO field?
I hate the "there's so many sightings by so many people, something MUST be going on" line, personally.

Geez.. we could speak about these elements of UFOlogy forever... however, I'll stay brief for the sake of the readers.

I hate the 'me too' crowd and those that think a gut feeling constitutes proof. These are the people that grow the legends/memes and create the phenomena you refer to above. I'll point to the 'Balloons Over New York' incident as a case in point.

IRM :wink:
They're coming to take me away, Ha-Haaah!
- Dan Burisch
the|exx
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby James Carlson » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:48 pm

As far as I'm concerned, the very worst aspect of this whole field can be summed up in the first two sentences of Jim Marrs' Introduction to Alien Agenda:

The controversy over the existence of UFOs is over.
UFOs are real.

That book represents the very last book about UFOs that I actually paid for. I still own that same hardbound copy, a First Edition from 1997, but to this day, I have been unable to read past those first two sentences of the Introduction. Every time I pick it up, I get to those first two sentences, and going any further just seems like an amazing yet pointless waste of my time.

That's what I consider the worst aspect of this entire field of study: the natural arrogance of these guys who think the case is already made, no more discussion is necessary, the game is over, touchdown, score, extra point, we're already on our way home from the Homecoming Dance, so hurry up and give us Disclosure already, 'cause we're only waiting on you, since all of the other votes are already in, and you're mucking up our prescheduled flight to Armageddon and the angels in fact have already started singing on high. God bless America ...

And glory, Halleluja ...

I don't think I have any favorite cases. Some make me laugh more than others, but that's about it.

Of course, there's always the Malmstrom AFB attention blips in March 1967 ...

I do remember one other case, a few years ago, but I don't recall much about it, because it was just a video of a supposed UFO landing that was taken near Barksdale AFB just outside of Shreveport, Louisiana, where I used to live. As it landed, it looked like it got smaller and smaller -- it was really a kind of a weird and spooky looking effect, It had some story that was written up about it, but I honestly don't remember many details. I only remember for the most part what I thought about it after the fact -- I had downloaded it to my PC and watched it, and was stunned that anybody would reach any conclusions about it at all, since the camera shook so much that you really couldn't see anything , no details -- nothing. Plus, it was taken from behind a bunch of trees, so these lights from the UFO kept splitting up like there was a small forest betwen the UFO and the viewer. There was no way you could even tell where the UFO supposedly set down. This was probably around 2003 or so, and Barksdale is like the third largest military base in the entire world -- no joke, it's absolutely huge, but most of it is just land that they've never really done anything with, so there was really no way you could even go look for the correct spot. The video was just darkness and trees and these lights that seemed to grown dim and small the closer the UFO got to the ground.

Anyway, it occurred to me that if I reformatted a copy of it to avi, then used an old JASC animation program I had to separate every frame of the video, and then recentered each frame on the UFO in the picture, put all the frames back together again and reformatted it as a video, that I would be able to cancel out the effect of the shaking of the camera, and I could get a decent look at this UFO. I remember it was a tremendous amount of work, because the video was about a minute in length, and the graphics software I used for editing was primarily for creating animations -- I basically had to reformat every frame of the video to jpg and change the center orientation and put it back together -- a huge amount of work, although it did occur to me that if I wasn't so cheap, I could probably find a program that would do it much faster and more accurately than I could. Whatever, it was intensive work, but I did finally finish it after about a week or so. I finally got it put back together and watched it and was absolutely disgusted for days, because it turned out to be a fairly poor video of a B-52 taking off, coming towards the viewer and disappearing at the top of the video. The clowns who put it together simply ran it backwards to give the odd effect of it shrinking as it landed. Once the center was stabilized it was immediately evident what it was that I was looking at -- I had wasted at least a week doing some extremely tedious work on the PC just so I could look at some a**hole's backwards video of an old Barksdale AFB B-52 taking off.

I don't think you could say I have any favorite UFO cases -- just those that annoy me less than others ... All the fun went out of it a long time ago for me, which is probably a sad thing to have to admit, but there it is.
James Carlson
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality

Postby Access Denied » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:03 pm

Zep Tepi wrote:I was wondering what everyone thinks are the top 5 UFO stories out there.

Well, since the title of your thread says “most popular”, I’m going with the stories I believe have received the most attention in print and film and therefore are most likely to have captured the public’s imagination…

[in chronological order]

1. Roswell (1980 book The Roswell Incident, 1994 TV movie Roswell)*

2. Betty and Barney Hill (1966 book Interrupted Journey, 1975 TV movie The UFO Incident)

3. Travis Walton (1975 national media coverage, 1978 book The Walton Experience, 1993 movie Fire in the Sky)

4. Whitley Strieber (1987 bestselling book and 1989 movie Communion)

5. Phoenix Lights (1997 national media coverage, numerous documentaries since)

Honorable Mention: Kenneth Arnold (1947 national media coverage, the one that started it all)

*Inextricably linked to the Aztec scam (1950 book Behind the Flying Saucers) that preceded it's initial rise to popularity in the 80s.

Zep Tepi wrote:Also, which UFO-tale do you think influences the most people that alien visitation is real?

See above and note it appears the stories that became the most popular have more to do with alien “sightings” (abductions in particular) than they do UFO sightings. There’s no actual sighting associated with Roswell for example, it’s the modern myth of recovered alien bodies (borne out of the Aztec scam) that really captured the public’s imagination in the 90s.

That it has become a religion devoid of any science whatsoever, replete with it’s flocks of “true believers” led by the high priests and priestesses (no doubt laughing all the way to the bank) otherwise known as UFOlogists… all whom preach it’s “self-evident” dogma zealously.
Men go and come but Earth abides.
Access Denied
1 of the RU3

Postby the|exx » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:14 am

Access Denied wrote:

That it has become a religion devoid of any science whatsoever, replete with it’s flocks of “true believers” led by the high priests and priestesses (no doubt laughing all the way to the bank) otherwise known as UFOlogists… all whom preach it’s “self-evident” dogma zealously.

Speaking of zealous dogma, I've been watching the Ancient Astronauts series on youtube and every couple of minutes I find myself shaking my head at all the unsubstantiated claims presented as facts. They're even too lazy to present the vaguest of rationales.

I would have no issue with digging a very deep pit, throwing in the likes of Bill Birnes, Erich von Daniken and Giorgio (I'm madder than my hairstyle) Tsoukalos into it and filling it in with quick drying cement. Those profiteers of stoopid really raise my hackles. I'd certainly love an open conversation with all of them... Oh sorry did I say conversation? I meant the opportunity to tear them all a new ass!

IRM :twisted:
They're coming to take me away, Ha-Haaah!
- Dan Burisch
the|exx
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby JayKew » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:02 am

I like my UFO stories spiced with a little intrigue, a hint of mystery.

You know the type, a compelling story but it couldnt possibly be true .... could it.

So my popular ones are.

1. Betty Cash

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lonnie_Zamora

2.The Bob Taylor episode in Scotland.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Taylor_incident

3. The Soccoro Incident with Lonnie Zamora

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lonnie_Zamora

4 The Nullabor Plains attempted abduction.

http://www.strangedayz.co.uk/2007/09/uf ... art-2.html

5. The Stephen Michalak Experience.

http://www.xtimeline.com/evt/view.aspx?id=26346

6. The Serpo Conundrum ............... errrm on second thoughts lets by pass that one lol

Jay
JayKew
In Search of Reality
In Search of Reality

Google

Return to UFOs