Spiral UFO in Mongolia, June 2011

General UFO stories

Moderators: ryguy, chrLz, Zep Tepi

Spiral UFO in Mongolia, June 2011

Postby Smersh » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:19 pm

Dunno what this is yet and the notes on the video just say "Spiral lighting flying object in western Mongolia. 21 jun 2011."

Following on from that, another guy has posted an analysis of it (I guess to check for CGI) but as far as I can make out it seems a genuine object - but then I'm no expert on CGI.

Enhancement of possible Spiral, UFO or Stargate? .. or. ? Stabilized, Zoomed and custom filters applied over entire clip.
Orig video first found uploaded here;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skw_D6MsFVg

(Most interesting stuff is right in the beginning)

Now what exactly he means by all that I'm not sure. Not sure why he's added a music soundtrack to it either, but it's quite an impressive one nevertheless, as its well suited to the subject in my opinion and as a keen woo myself I found it quite relaxing, I must admit.

Wouldn't be the ISS by any chance, would it? :shock:
Pobody's nerfect
Smersh
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Re: Spiral UFO in Mongolia, June 2011

Postby astrophotographer » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:33 pm

Not the ISS. Probably a booster rocket in low earth orbit tumbling and ejecting leftover fuel. Lots of these spirals being seen in China as they are rockets launched by Russia. A progress resupply mission to the ISS was launched on 21 June.
astrophotographer
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality

Postby Smersh » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:00 pm

Hmmm ... yes I wondered about something like that as well, or perhaps some piece of space junk re-entering. But would it appear to move as slowly as that do you think?
Pobody's nerfect
Smersh
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby Luck » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:51 pm

Reminds of the Norway spiral light that was determined to be a failed Russian test missile.

Smersh,
The Daily Mail has some picture and video links that you may find illuminating.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1234773/The-answer-mystery-Norways-spiral-light-display-Was-failed-Russian-Bulava-missile-test.html

astro,
My first that this was a rocket or missile of some sort based on its similarity to the Norway light that occurred in late 2009. I think you are right on the mark with this one.
I think the surest sign that there is intelligent life out there in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." (Calvin and Hobbes/Bill Waterson)
Luck
Reality Is In Sight
Reality Is In Sight

Postby Smersh » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:09 pm

Hi Luck, thanks for the link about the Norway spiral. I actually spent some time myself helping to explain that over at Space.com (when those forums existed, which sadly they now don't) shortly after the event was in the news, after somebody joined up there to post about it. Also more recently over at my own site, LTL.

I agree with the Bulava missile explanation but it's amazing how many people there are around who still post claiming it's caused by an ET spacecraft or whatever. And I don't think I'd seen that Daily Mail story, but I'm surprised they published it because their UFO stories are normally of the "sensational" kind and they don't usually post any sense about anything. That's one reason why we call them the "Daily Fail" in the UK. :wink:

I did think of the Norway spiral when I first saw this Mongolian one but it doesn't appear to me to be behaving in the same way. The Mongolian one seems to me to be trundling along quite slowly as it apparently goes from one place to another, then it gradually fades away from view.
Pobody's nerfect
Smersh
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby astrophotographer » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:22 pm

A low angular speed might be the result of a high orbit. I know I said it might be a booster in LEO but I am willing to amend that. The Russians launch some satellites in some rather unique orbits that often result in booster rockets being left up in space. The "spiral" is the same kind of "spiral" seen on a few other occassions other than the Norway event. There were several in china and last year in Australia that was caused by a US falcon 9 rocket.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pgaw6qFbdk
astrophotographer
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality

Postby Access Denied » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:31 pm

Smersh wrote:But would it appear to move as slowly as that do you think?

Sure, going away from the camera it would. Picture the launch vehicle going up and then gradually arching over to place the Progress spacecraft into a circular orbit that’s horizontal relative to the surface of the Earth. Presumably this video was taken after the boost phase towards the tail end of the upper stage burn some 10 minutes or so into the flight. (or later during a parking orbit burn)

Progress M-11M space freighter launched into orbit
http://en.rian.ru/science/20110621/164750565.html

It was sent to the International Space Station (ISS) at 18:38 Moscow time (14:38 GMT).

To be sure one would need to know exactly where the camera was and which direction it was facing relative to the launch site (Baikonur Space Center in Kazakhstan) and what time it was. (looks like around sunset)

ETA: link
Men go and come but Earth abides.
Access Denied
1 of the RU3

Postby Smersh » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:28 pm

astrophotographer wrote:A low angular speed might be the result of a high orbit. I know I said it might be a booster in LEO but I am willing to amend that. The Russians launch some satellites in some rather unique orbits that often result in booster rockets being left up in space. The "spiral" is the same kind of "spiral" seen on a few other occassions other than the Norway event. There were several in china and last year in Australia that was caused by a US falcon 9 rocket.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pgaw6qFbdk

Yes it does look very much like you're right. In fact, thanks to Luvey over at UFO Casebook who just posted this slideshow of an object in Australia in 2010 which looks almost identical.

Access Denied wrote:
Smersh wrote:But would it appear to move as slowly as that do you think?

Sure, going away from the camera it would ...

Yes good point and in fact that occured to me as well after I made my previous post.

Access Denied wrote:Progress M-11M space freighter launched into orbit
http://en.rian.ru/science/20110621/164750565.html

It was sent to the International Space Station (ISS) at 18:38 Moscow time (14:38 GMT)
To be sure one would need to know exactly where the camera was and which direction it was facing relative to the launch site (Baikonur Space Center in Kazakhstan) and what time it was. (looks like around sunset) ...

Could be a strong candidate, although unfortunately the YT poster didn't put a time on the video, only a date. According to this Ulaanbaatar in Mongolia is 4 hours ahead of Moscow, time-wise, so I would think it would have been dark there at the time, anyway.

(EDIT) I just noticed the YT Poster has added more notes since I last looked. Now says:

Spiral lighting flying object in western Mongolia. June 21, 2011.
This video filmed in the province Gobi Altai of Mongolia, at 47 km northeast of the Altai city, which is the center of the province. We saw this glowing and flying object at 23 pm 21st June 2011, almost for 2 minutes ...

So thanks AD, the ISS re-supply freighter does look pretty good now, as to what this object is. (Well, at least I got the "ISS" bit right ... :) )
Pobody's nerfect
Smersh
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Google

Return to UFOs