Phil Imbrogno - Fraud and stolen Valor (?)

General UFO stories

Moderators: ryguy, chrLz, Zep Tepi

Phil Imbrogno - Fraud and stolen Valor (?)

Postby philliman » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:38 pm

Haven't seen any thread about that yet. Story broke about a week ago. So as it seems it turned out that UFO-researcher Phil Imbrogno wasn't truthful about his credentials and possibly also not about other things like fe. about his claim to have been a member of a Special Forces-unit which fought in the Vietnam War.

This is the article written by Lance Moody who broke that story (thanks to Frank Stalter for that link):
http://www.notaghost.com/2011/07/saucer ... -tape.html

Don Ecker about that case. As it seems he's pretty disappointed and pissed off about that:
http://www.theparacast.com/forum/thread ... olen-Valor

Imbrogno himself seems to have ducked down and vanished from the scene. To my knowledge he hasn't posted any statement yet.
Last edited by philliman on Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
philliman
In Search of Reality
In Search of Reality

Re: Phil Imbrogno - Fraud and stolen Valor (?)

Postby astrophotographer » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:42 pm

Yeah....It has been discussed in other places. What I found interesting was that just before this all brewed up, Imbrogno was selected to be part of Paul Kimball's best evidence DVD. Kimball made a grand announcement on his blog. As soon as Kimball got wind of all this, the blog entry disappeared. Kimball, who has now gone on vacation from UFOs, wrote a final entry where he describes Imbrogno's lies. However, like in Harry Potter, Kimball refused to mention Imbrogno's name (he who shall not be named?). I tried to get Kimball to explain this but he chose to state that publicly he refuses to comment. I guess a lot people bought into Imbrogno's "exaggerations". However, Imbrogno should take heart. In UFOlogy, such sins are easily forgiven and you can still write books, appear at UFO festivals/conferences, and become a big name again. Don Schmitt did something very similar. He is still going strong.
astrophotographer
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality

Postby Tim Hebert » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:20 pm

Lance Moody...I'm impressed!

Tim
Tim Hebert
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby James Carlson » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:03 pm

I love it when people you think are full of BS turn out to be confirmed as full of BS. Good job, Lance. I am also impressed. It takes an uncommon thinker to double-check the one factor that most people accept without argument. It's not the stories a dishonest man is willing to sell to you that prove his blanket immorality -- it's the stories he tells that substantiate his supposed expertise in that field in the first place. That's a lesson learned, I'd say. Check and see if he's really a theoretical chemist first; if he's lying about that, who gives a damn what he has to say about his supposed discoveries in the field? My compliments to the theoretical chef ...
James Carlson
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality

Postby DrDil » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:39 am

I noticed Lance was lurking a couple of days ago and thought he would have started the thread…..

Good work fella!!

(And Don for the SV follow-up).

Cheers.
DrDil
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby Access Denied » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:56 am

DrDil wrote:I noticed Lance was lurking a couple of days ago and thought he would have started the thread…

I was going to start a thread about it but got sidetracked so thanks to PMan for posting this!

Tom
Men go and come but Earth abides.
Access Denied
1 of the RU3

Postby nablator » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:30 am

Phil Imbrogno is an inter-dimensional traveler who holds a PhD in another universe. Simple. :mrgreen:
nablator
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby ryguy » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:41 pm

I agree - that was brilliant work Lance! Sorry we haven't covered the story yet - Don did forward a blurb about it to Murnut and I just recently but haven't had time to post a blog update about it like I wanted to. I wanted to take the time to dig through the background....but come to think of it, maybe an interview with Lance about it would be even better...

-Ryan
---
"Only a fool of a scientist would dismiss the evidence and reports in front of him and substitute his own beliefs in their place." - Paul Kurtz

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
ryguy
1 of the RU3

Postby lancemoody » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:15 am

Many thanks for the kind comments, guys!

Lance
lancemoody

Postby Luck » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:55 am

Lance,
You did a great job here.

astrophotographer wrote: However, like in Harry Potter, Kimball refused to mention Imbrogno's name (he who shall not be named?). I tried to get Kimball to explain this but he chose to state that publicly he refuses to comment. I guess a lot people bought into Imbrogno's "exaggerations". However, Imbrogno should take heart. In UFOlogy, such sins are easily forgiven and you can still write books, appear at UFO festivals/conferences, and become a big name again. Don Schmitt did something very similar. He is still going strong.

astro,
I checked out Kimball's blog and I thought he made an interesting comment (in fact, probably this is part of the post you were commenting on):
There is apparently much chatter as of late (on various blogs, and podcasts - the usual suspects) about a UFO researcher, and claims that he made up phony academic credentials. In the grand scheme of things (even "ufological" things), it is really much ado about nothing. But people these days love to talk about personalities, because it's the great leveler - you don't need a degree, or any qualifications whatsoever, to gossip, or attack people, or pile on. You barely need a pulse.

http://redstarfilms.blogspot.com/
I find that kind of comment very troubling. Kimball seems to be saying that this all boils down to personal attacks, but the fact that Imbrogno has falsified some, if not all, of his credentials is irrelevant?

I disagree with that completely; at least to me, it looks like Imbrogno was using his credentials to bolster his personal credibility. Unlike Kimball, who feels this is just a sideshow, it seems pretty obvious to me (and maybe to everyone else here) that if Imbrogno has lied about his credentials, then he has probably lied about a lot of other things too. I think it is perfectly acceptable for Imbrogno to take some heat over this.
Call me crazy... :roll:
I think the surest sign that there is intelligent life out there in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." (Calvin and Hobbes/Bill Waterson)
Luck
Reality Is In Sight
Reality Is In Sight

Postby James Carlson » Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:52 am

Luck wrote:I disagree with that completely; at least to me, it looks like Imbrogno was using his credentials to bolster his personal credibility. Unlike Kimball, who feels this is just a sideshow, it seems pretty obvious to me (and maybe to everyone else here) that if Imbrogno has lied about his credentials, then he has probably lied about a lot of other things too. I think it is perfectly acceptable for Imbrogno to take some heat over this.
Call me crazy... :roll:

I agree 100%; In the grand scheme of things (even "ufological" things), a man who effects change in one aspect of his life by lying is far more capable of relying on such a resolution to the status quo elsewhere. As a result, he can never be trusted again to tell the truth, regardless the topic. We already know he's a liar. What else is necessary?
James Carlson
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality

Google

Return to UFOs