Next UFO Report?

General UFO stories

Moderators: ryguy, chrLz, Zep Tepi

Re: Next UFO Report?

Postby Illudium Q-36 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:51 am

Thierry Legault has managed to film the satellite. His work always amazes me, certainly one of the best around at capturing satellites.
There is a small article with the video here....
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-15009337
It obstructs my view of Venus
Illudium Q-36

Postby astrophotographer » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:38 pm

Agreed about his work. Unfortunately, I really don't have the equipment to track satellites as he does. His sun and ISS photos are always great. I hardly ever have any ISS-SUN passes in NH and when I do, it usually is cloudy!
astrophotographer
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality

Postby BobE » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:11 pm

BobE wrote:
astrophotographer wrote:
BTW, NASA is now stating UARS will be coming down 24 Sep +/- 1 day. It makes some passes up the eastern seaboard in the early evening (as well as two other passes in the middle of the night over NE Canada and the midwest). This will all probably change as the orbit changes but I will have to get all my gear out to record it if it comes down where I can see it.

Oh?

Q-"NASA officials told ABC News overnight that they won't know where the satellite will hit until two hours before it enters the Earth's atmosphere, moving at 5 miles per second." press date: Sept. 16, 2011

Source: http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/space- ... d=14534076

So AP looks like that it will miss North America altogether they're saying now.

This link offers a historical orbital pattern diagram along with some other info on the satellite itself. I'm posting it for general consumption here. http://minnesota.publicradio.org/collec ... 20WP.shtml

I figure you know all about it all ready. Btw I appreciated reading your post. I didn't even know beforehand it had a chance of hitting North America until I caught what you wrote.
BobE

Postby nablator » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:49 am

What is possibly the last orbit (according to the latest calculation with SatEvo) will be visible from North America and Europe.

nablator
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby Illudium Q-36 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:17 pm

astrophotographer wrote:Agreed about his work. Unfortunately, I really don't have the equipment to track satellites as he does. His sun and ISS photos are always great. I hardly ever have any ISS-SUN passes in NH and when I do, it usually is cloudy!

Yeah, his site has some info on the equpment he uses and parts have been designed specifically for him to do what he does. I think he makes a career of it as he travels the world to get some amazing images.
One day I would like to have a crack at the ISS but I need to get a bit more confidence in my stargazing ability first.

Also Good news everybody, the German telescope ROSAT is due to come down in October under similar circumstances.
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn2 ... nline-news
Illudium Q-36

Postby astrophotographer » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:43 pm

The latest is 0315UTC. That looks like Africa or western Europe (over spain). If sooner, it may end up over the US. I was hoping for around 0000 UTC because that would work for me (to my SE). However, it does not matter since we have nothing but rain and clouds anyway. There is a pass around 0120 UTC over the central US. I have to go by the lake if there is any chance it comes down during a pass over the atlantic seaboard and it is even reasonably clear if I want to get pics (it will be low in the SE sky).
astrophotographer
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality

Postby Illudium Q-36 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:46 pm

I have a pass in about an hour, not sure if it will be visible but I'll go out and try anyway. Failing that Nano Sail D and Envisat are going past not long after so I'll try my luck with them and the ol' dslr.
Illudium Q-36

Postby astrophotographer » Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:37 pm

The only thing that came down at my location was lots and lots of rain! I undestand it probably came down over the pacific. I guess the next one on the table is ROSAT.
astrophotographer
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality

Previous

Google

Return to UFOs