Secrets of the Shadow World

General UFO stories

Moderators: ryguy, chrLz, Zep Tepi

Secrets of the Shadow World

Postby James Carlson » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:45 am

I had to share these -- they're priceless!

I discovered these two films very recently, and I wanted to post the URL links so others can enjoy them as much as I did. Don't expect high art, or anything. These films are pretty much in the same class as almost anything by Ed Wood, Jr., the filmmaker behind Genn or Glenda, Plan Nine From Outer Space and Bride of the Monster.

The first and by far the best is entitled Secrets of the Shadow World, and you can get it for free at http://www.ubu.com/film/kuchar_shadow.html

This is a description (enjoy):

Kuchar writes: "With a new millennium almost upon us, images of space aliens invading the marketplace and sleeping habits of consumers worldwide, this miniseries abducts the viewers into the universe of John A. Keel (via a video time-warp supplied by me with Rockefeller Foundation funding). It's a leisurely expedition through a maze of kitchens and cerebral convolutions in search of the mysteries behind the mundane (or vice versa!). Mr. Keel, an author and stage magician, has made a profound impact on the pop-culture we swim in. His research and books on the UFO enigma have ignited an explosive wild-fire of imaginative invocations such as the X-FILES TV show and the Men in Black blockbuster movie. Yet you never hear about him and he never hears from the movie and television companies. In this video you see and hear him. You also see and hear a whole lot of other people and some animals. The whole show runs almost 2 hours and 20 minutes, but be sure to stay for part 3 as the UFO/Horror author, Whitley Streiber, teams up with my old star, Donna Kerness to reveal exclusive revelations on the 'visitor' experience. See this video... then read their books — and pray it's not true!"

The second one is Ascension of the Demonoids at http://www.ubu.com/film/kuchar_demon.html ; Description follows:

A big, colorful tapestry about rumors that are in all of the previous UFO movies. A loose story line that weaves in and out of the UFO phenomenon.

They're both great fun... Let me know what you think if you're so inclined.
James Carlson
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality

Re: Secrets of the Shadow World

Postby James Carlson » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:51 am

P.S. The same website above has lots of other movies as well -- many of which are very rare (check out William S. Burroughs' A Junky's Christmas; the suitcase scenario alone had me in tears). It's well worth the time just browsing throughout the collection.
James Carlson
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality

Postby Luck » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:23 am

"Here we were, all three of us, stripped of our pretenses."

"For some obscure or strange reason, there appeared to be an outbreak of clowns coming out of vans in our town; and for some reason they were associated with the UFO flap"

[smilie=to funny.gif]

James,
Thanks for posting! I watched "The Junkie" and "Ascension of the Demonoids." I might break these out if my husband ever makes me watch another existential quagmire like "Possession" (Sam Neill & Isabel Adjani) again. He will deserve it.

:twisted:
I think the surest sign that there is intelligent life out there in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." (Calvin and Hobbes/Bill Waterson)
Luck
Reality Is In Sight
Reality Is In Sight

Postby James Carlson » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:40 am

Luck wrote:"Here we were, all three of us, stripped of our pretenses."

"For some obscure or strange reason, there appeared to be an outbreak of clowns coming out of vans in our town; and for some reason they were associated with the UFO flap"

[smilie=to funny.gif]

James,
Thanks for posting! I watched "The Junkie" and "Ascension of the Demonoids." I might break these out if my husband ever makes me watch another existential quagmire like "Possession" (Sam Neill & Isabel Adjani) again. He will deserve it.

:twisted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one to get something out of it. I love the part in "Secrets of the Shadow World" where they're talking about H. P. Lovecraft. Kurchar mentions that Lovecraft's stories really frightened him, because they seemed so true, and Keel says something to the effect of that's because they're very close to being true. And then he adds, "Well, he was a melodramatic writer; he wrote in a very corny way."

How does Kurchar respond? It's a classic right out of the blue: "And he hated fish..."

The whole conversation just goes nuts from that point, with Keel chiming in: "You know, he was also a sugar fiend. He put like five teaspoons of sugar in his cup of coffee. And he probably had diabetes or something akin to it."

"He had some stomach disorder and he liked baked beans."

"Did he? That'll give you a stomach disorder..."

Then you hear one of the ladies off-camera say: "The English like baked beans."

And Kurchar just goes with it: "Well, he wanted to be English, but he wasn't."

At least Keel's response stays on topic (of food): "Yeah, and now I'm going to take a bite of my sandwich." And you just know he wasn't expecting any interview like the one he got!

I think that whole scene will stay with me for the rest of my life. Some real dramatic and eerie music kicks in, and they do a flash shot of some skulls and stuff, so the audience expects something major -- a revelation of universal importance. But instead, the whole group drives out to Redwoods National Park. They really like big trees...

I will never grow tired of this movie.
James Carlson
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality

Postby Luck » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:01 am

James Carlson wrote:I'm glad I'm not the only one to get something out of it. I love the part in "Secrets of the Shadow World" where they're talking about H. P. Lovecraft. Kurchar mentions that Lovecraft's stories really frightened him, because they seemed so true, and Keel says something to the effect of that's because they're very close to being true. And then he adds, "Well, he was a melodramatic writer; he wrote in a very corny way."

How does Kurchar respond? It's a classic right out of the blue: "And he hated fish..."

May Dagon never get a whiff of that remark! How perfect! I adore Lovecraft; I can say with much certainty that a former high school teacher of mine is the reason. The irony is that we will be watching a documentary on Lovecraft tomorrow. And at least a few writers blame him (Lovecraft) for the ancient alien meme.
I think the surest sign that there is intelligent life out there in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." (Calvin and Hobbes/Bill Waterson)
Luck
Reality Is In Sight
Reality Is In Sight

Google

Return to UFOs