1968 Minot UFO Case

General UFO stories

Moderators: ryguy, chrLz, Zep Tepi

1968 Minot UFO Case

Postby Tim Hebert » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:46 pm

I've been MIA from the forum for quite some time. Perhaps a brief summary of my on going project will spur discussion on the forum.

I've been bogged down in researching the Minot AFB UFO case that occurred 24 Oct 1968. By being "bogged down", I mean that I'm heavily engaged both on my blog site (www.timhebert.blogspot.com) and what personal free time that I'm able to allocate to the subject. I've been at it, off and on, for almost a year and a half. Truthfully, its a very interesting case.

The basics of the case center around the visual observations of security personnel and one missile maintenance team at various locations and points in time in the November Flight area near Minot AFB, ND. We have an airborne B-52 which appeared to have captured radar images of a UFO as well as the pilot and co-pilot making a visual observation of a bright object stationary either on the ground, or hovering above the ground. Even though this case has extensive documentation, I've found areas of the investigation that illicit more questions than out right answers.

There are discrepancies with the various AF-117s that were filled out in conjunction of the investigation...some minor, yet, some major in my opinion. How can 4 individuals, in close proximity to each other, see the same thing, yet perceive the night's events in a different way? It is clear to me that all of the ground observers saw an initial object (light), then totally lost visual objectivity when the B-52 flew over the sight area. This clearly baffled Werlich, Minot's UFO investigation officer, as written in one of his Memo for Records sent to Blue Book.

The overall investigation that was done by Minot and Blue Book show spurts of extensive collection of data followed by lack luster efforts to truly understand what may have occurred on the night in question. The base UFO officer, LtCol Werlich, may have well been somewhat overwhelmed, but Blue Book officials appear to have thrown possibilities to the proverbially wall to see what could stick. I tend to agree with a portion of Blue Book's conclusion that the ground personnel probably mistook a stellar object as the initial object seen...a sound possibilty. This case would probably have been laid to rest in a satisfactory manner had Blue Book dispatched personnel to Minot to personally render assistance to Werlich.

Areas left to cover:

1. B52 radar data.
2. Transcripts of radio transmission between Minot and the B-52 including temporary UHF radio transmission outage.
3. Launch facilities O-6 and 7 (Oscar Flight) did the camper team see anything and was one of the site intrusions part of the UFO story?
4. Did SAC HQ apply too much pressure on the investigation officer, and/or attempt to cover-up the incident, as proposed by others?
5. Wrap up of the case.

An interesting case none the less!

Tim Hebert
Tim Hebert
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Re: 1968 Minot UFO Case

Postby James Carlson » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:56 am

So a frustrated investigator might very well have enabled an esoteric and unlikely interpretation of events by abandoning the quality of his investigation? Works for me. You leave the field of combat and your enemy will naturally take advantage of it. I wonder how common this scenario may actually be...
James Carlson
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality

Re: 1968 Minot UFO Case

Postby Tim Hebert » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:25 pm

Werlich meant well and had to do the investigation while being pressured by SAC HQ and doing his real job...and get his flying hours in to protect his rating. He made the effort to go out to one of the LFs with a Geiger counter to take radiation readings and attempted to pin point the flight path of the B-52.

Its not even clear how much pressure SAC was exerting to wrap things up. Missing from the story is the input, if any, from both wing commanders for the Bomb Wing and Missile Wing, yet the Air Division commander appears to have weighed into to the story. These missing pieces to the puzzle tend to cause more questions versus answers.

One thing that I feel confident is that both pilot and copilot mis-identified a brightly lit up N-07 as a UFO that was stationary and either hovering or on the ground. Werlich and PBB missed this, but its understandable since Werlich was a bomb wing guy and PBB had no clue as to what was the general make up of a ICBM launch facility.
Tim Hebert
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Google

Return to UFOs