2007 CIA Revelations - the "Family Jewels"

General UFO stories

Moderators: ryguy, chrLz, Zep Tepi

2007 CIA Revelations - the "Family Jewels"

Postby caryn » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:46 am

The confirmation I've been waiting on. Expect some interesting forum/blog posts over the next few months:

To the UFO diehards...Get your tissues ready - you'll be needing them.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,21 ... 02,00.html
caryn
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby ryguy » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:42 pm

This is simply fantastic.

Now this is the kind of true disclosure that I look forward to reading.

George Little, a CIA spokesman, said the declassified material will be posted on the agency's website as early as next week.

Now that's quick....we may create a new thread with the purpose of distributing the most interesting parts of the declassified material. It certainly will be an interesting summer!!!

Out come the skeletons...

-Ry
---
"Only a fool of a scientist would dismiss the evidence and reports in front of him and substitute his own beliefs in their place." - Paul Kurtz

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
ryguy
1 of the RU3

Postby ryguy » Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:55 pm

Just hit major news today here in the U.S.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070622/us_nm/cia_secrets_dc

The documents to be released next week also include accounts of break-ins and theft, surveillance of U.S. journalists, the agency's opening of private mail to and from China and the Soviet Union, and "behavior modification" experiments on "unwitting" U.S. civilians.

-Ry
---
"Only a fool of a scientist would dismiss the evidence and reports in front of him and substitute his own beliefs in their place." - Paul Kurtz

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
ryguy
1 of the RU3

Postby caryn » Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:29 pm

http://stargate007.blogspot.com/

C.I.A. Chief Tries Preaching a Culture of More Openness

By MARK MAZZETTI
Published: June 23, 2007

"WASHINGTON, June 22 — William E. Colby faced an uneasy decision in late 1973 when he took over the Central Intelligence Agency: whether to make public the agency’s internal accounting, then being compiled, of its domestic spying, assassination plots and other misdeeds since its founding nearly three decades earlier.

Mr. Colby decided to keep the so-called family jewels a secret, and wrote in his memoir in 1978 that he believed the agency’s already sullied reputation, including a link to the Watergate scandal, could not have withstood a public airing of all its dirty laundry.

So why, at a time when the agency has again been besieged by criticism, this time for its program of secret detentions and interrogations since the Sept. 11 attacks, would the current director, Gen. Michael V. Hayden, decide to declassify the same documents that Mr. Colby chose to keep secret?"

Read the full story in the New York Times

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/23/washi ... =permalink

In my opinion burying ones head in the sand won’t help in an effort to move a Nation forward. A good degree of the forthcoming revelations will no doubt only confirm what is already known or suspected.

It’s important to keep things in perspective when evaluating the material about to be released. These were different times, different world views, different social structures.

Events occurring in the world just 20 to 60 years ago and the way in which a nation managed its internal affairs are quite different to the way we operate today. What might have been perceived as normal procedure then would have many of us cringing now.

For example, it wasn’t so long ago when women were institutionalised for pregnancy out of wedlock, epileptics were commonly institutionalised, woman were jailed for witchcraft and, falsely labelled ‘orphans’ were being shipped off to alien and often brutal lands. Smacks of events during the dark ages doesn’t it – yet all within only the last 60 years.

The declassification process is a necessary evil. The events occurred, they are historical fact and no amount of burying and reshuffling of files will keep these events hidden indefinitely. If we want our young officers and youngsters in general to take pride in governmental organisations of today, we begin by the exposing and cutting out of old and diseased wood, to encourage and make room for fresh new growth.

As Hayden states - an open approach and a better informed public will dispel the myths and misinformation - and we can only hope that it will also ensure that the misdeeds of the past are not repeated in the future.
caryn
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby Max » Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:15 pm

And if at the same time all is being disclosed we can beat the drum of UFO's and Alien Visitations, we can maybe create a distraction in the public's mind. The National Enquirer type of headlines will always grab more attention in the general populace than the more mundane tales of misbehavior on the part of CIA agents.
View my Blog

You can't photoshop logic.
Max
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby caryn » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:16 pm

http://www.ettracker.com/CIA/ciadoc001.html

CIA Declassified UFO files - click on above.
caryn
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby ryguy » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:51 pm

caryn wrote:http://www.ettracker.com/CIA/ciadoc001.html

CIA Declassified UFO files - click on above.

I don't think these are all new - I've seen the first few docs last year when I did some searching through CIA doc search...but certainly didn't get a return of 216 documents...so these will be interesting to go through. Thank you Caryn!

-Ry
---

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
ryguy
1 of the RU3

Postby caryn » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:17 pm

No - nice easy link though :-)
caryn
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby ryguy » Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:13 pm

Now for true disclosure (click on the title):

[url=https://www.cia.gov/news-information/press-releases-statements/cia-releases-two-collections-of-historical-documents.html[/url]CIA Releases Two Collections of Historical Documents
[/url]

June 26, 2007

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) released two sets of previously classified historical documents.

“The CIA fully understands that it has an obligation to protect the nation’s secrets, but it also has a responsibility to be as open as possible,” said CIA Director Michael V. Hayden. “I’ve often spoken about our social contract with the American people, and the declassification of historical documents is an important part of that effort.”

The first collection, which some call the “Family Jewels,” consists of almost 700 pages and was compiled in 1973 under Director of Central Intelligence James Schlesinger, who asked CIA employees to report activities they thought might be inconsistent with the Agency’s charter.

In 1974, the CIA provided the documents to Congress. They were exhaustively reviewed by the Presidentially appointed Rockefeller Commission and by the Church and Pike Committees in Congress. Parts of the collection were released to the public in subsequent years.

The release of this collection answers a Freedom of Information Act request from 1992. In the past year, the Agency has made a concerted effort to close out its old cases under the law. Since October 2006 alone, the Agency has reduced the number of FOIA cases older than 5 years old by more than half.

The second collection, the CAESAR-POLO-ESAU papers, consists of 147 documents and 11,000 pages of analysis from 1953 to 1973. The CAESAR and POLO papers studied Soviet and Chinese leadership hierarchies, respectively, and the ESAU papers were developed by analysts to inform CIA assessments on Sino-Soviet relations.

The documents are available online at www.foia.cia.gov.

---

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
ryguy
1 of the RU3

Postby ryguy » Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:16 pm

Will be sifting through the documents for the next few days...and anything significant or relevant to ongoing investigations will be reported here.

-Ry
---

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
ryguy
1 of the RU3

Postby ryguy » Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:27 pm

Summary page says it all....and, quite amazingly, #1 is completely blanked out. Almost encouraging conspiracy theorists (which is the opposite of the stated purpose of these releases, allegedly)...

----
Page 5 - summary:

1. Completely blanked out.

2. Johnny Roselli -- The use of a member of the Mafia in an attempt to assassinate Fidel Castro.

3. Project MOCKINGBIRD -- During the period from 12 March 1963 to 15 June 1963, this Office installed telephone taps on two Washington-based newsmen who were suspected of disclosing classified information obtained from a variety of governmental and congressional sources.

4. Yuriy Ivanovich Nosenko - A KGB defector who from the period 13 August 1965 to 27 Octover 1967 was confined in a specially constructed "jail" at [BLANKED]. He was literally confined in a cell behind bars with nothing but a cot in it for this period.

5. Various Surveillance and Support Activities -- These are briefly summarized and range from the surveillance of newsmen to the provision of specialized support of local police officials in the Metropolitan area. I believe that each one is self-explanatory and, therefore, no further comment is needed here.

6. Equipment Support to Local Police -- Attached is a list provided me by the Director of Logistics (he will simply report these items in his report) which we have provided to local police in the Metropolitan D.C. area over the past four or five years on indefinite loan. During the period when the Agency's installations in this area appeared to be a target of dissident elements a conscious decision was made by the Agency to utilize the services of local police to repel invaders in case of riot or dissension as opposed to utilization of our GSA guards, who are not trained in this type of activity. This equipment has been issued over the years to local police, principally Fairfax and Arlington County Police Departments. I do not believe that this is totally illegal under the provisions of the National Security Act of 1947, but I am including it since I am sure that it would be considered as such in light of the recent congressional fuss over our police training activities.

7. Audio Countermeasures Support to the United States Secret Service.

8. Test of Specialized Equipment in Miami Immediately Prior to the Political Convention There.
---

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
ryguy
1 of the RU3

Postby ryguy » Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:29 pm

Gus Russo noticed the same thing...he released a tongue-in-cheek document with this observation:

------

The CIA “Family Jewels” Released (Almost)
- By Gus Russo 6-26-06

For those of us who might be called “intel wonks,” one of the most sought after CIA files was finally released today, after twenty-four years of insider speculation and waiting. (See www.foia.cia.gov and follow the “Family Jewels” links).

The 702-page “Family Jewels” document, commissioned in 1973 by then-CIA director James R. Schlesinger, details the most sordid aspects of the CIA’s history, with special emphasis on operations that were in seeming violation of the National Security Act of 1947, the legislation that established the Agency.

As expected, there is little new here -- most of the critical details (assassination plots against foreign leaders, domestic spying on journalists and dissidents, the Yuri Nosenko affair, etc.) have leaked out piecemeal over the years.

What actually jumped out at this writer was the cover letter by Howard Osborne, the CIA’s former Director of Security and author of the compilation. Osborne’s memo serves as an introduction and brief description of the episodes he catalogued in the remaining 701 pages. Osborne’s bullet-point list, which notes the aforementioned topics, is almost all-inclusive, but what struck me is the fact that, of the eight topics listed in numerical order, seven are described, but one is completely redacted. And not just any one, but the very first one! The pages that refer to this topic are also completely white.

It is a typical CIA release blunder, and one that is certain to invite conspiracy theorists to fill in the blank. Here is my list of what the various conspirati might nominate for the missing top spot:

• The JFK Assassination Plan – detailing how the agency coordinated the faking of the Zapruder Film, JFK’s body alterations and switching, the planting of Oswald’s rifle, the forging of the “backyard photos,” the identities of the Umbrella Man, the Black Dog Man, Badge Man, and the Tramps; the planting of the Magic Bullet, the payoffs to the Parkland and Bethesda doctors, the true location of JFK’s brain, the retirement package arranged for Arlen Spector, the designing of a protective vest for LBJ so he wouldn’t be killed accidentally, etc.

• The CIA’s employment file on Lee Harvey Oswald (feel free to substitute Clay Shaw, Sirhan Sirhan, Timothy McVeigh, or the 9/11 hijackers).

• The full autopsy reports for the aliens who crashed at Roswell in 1947.

• Map to the location of the Ark of the Covenant, with a listing of its contents.

• List of over two-dozen secret airfields used by the CIA to import cocaine, LSD, Ecstasy, and crystal meth.

• Various Photos: “Bubbles,” the first chimp to be successfully infected with the CIA’s newest weapon, HIV; an actual “smoking gun;” LBJ, Oswald, and E. Howard Hunt sharing a table at Jack Ruby’s Carousel Club; National Intelligence Medal presented posthumously to “Lee H. Oswald, Agent.”

• Infiltration of Hollywood Operation; reports filed by agents Paris Hilton, Britney Spears, Lindsay Lohan, and Mary Hart (who is actually a cutting edge robot).

I intend on filing a Freedom of Information request immediately for the missing bullet-point. However, I doubt these spooks will ever respond. And even if they did, it would just be another cover story.
---

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
ryguy
1 of the RU3

Postby Serpentime » Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:37 am

4. Yuriy Ivanovich Nosenko - A KGB defector who from the period 13 August 1965 to 27 Octover 1967 was confined in a specially constructed "jail" at [BLANKED]. He was literally confined in a cell behind bars with nothing but a cot in it for this period.

James Jesus Angleton strikes again!

LOL

Serp
"Life's fantasy... To be locked away, and still to think you're free."

-- Ronnie Dio
Serpentime
Valued Contributor

Postby ryguy » Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:47 pm

Okay...here's a little humor. Well maybe not for Animal Rights Activists...but there's a dark sort of humor here. As the story goes - the CIA experimented with surgically inserting all kinds of hardware into a cat, including batteries, wire in the tail as an antenna, microphone, etc... Supposedly they could train the cat to go in a certain direction, although it's not clear if that was through the use of electrical impulses, behavioral training alone, or both. In the end, they placed the cat down from the van, it started across the street and got run over by a taxi....

FOIA release
---

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
ryguy
1 of the RU3

Postby wetsystems » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:40 pm

ryguy wrote:Okay...here's a little humor. Well maybe not for Animal Rights Activists...but there's a dark sort of humor here. As the story goes - the CIA experimented with surgically inserting all kinds of hardware into a cat, including batteries, wire in the tail as an antenna, microphone, etc... Supposedly they could train the cat to go in a certain direction, although it's not clear if that was through the use of electrical impulses, behavioral training alone, or both. In the end, they placed the cat down from the van, it started across the street and got run over by a taxi....

FOIA release

This Earth First-er and PETA activist actually loved that story. My cats are just that dumb!
And I should remark that I am saving my insults for Toon for "just the right time" when I will strike at his soft, white underbelly for maximum damage and humiliation. Ray Hudson 2007
wetsystems
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Next

Google

Return to UFOs