OMF and IP's

Any discussion related to OM goes here

OMF and IP's

Postby AussieMike » Wed May 26, 2010 10:47 am

Today at 4:13am, Ivo wrote:... I can categorically confirm that we (the admins/owners of OM) have the same information you have, Eth.

No deep dark secrets, no secret back room discussions, no conspiracies.

And yes while OM is just a little 'burgh out in the boonies we still see IP addresses (sorry but that is one thing we will not share with you) representing virtually every branch of the military, civilian research laboratories, government agencies, intelligence agencies and even the White House visiting this little out of the way forum.

Why would that be?

If this is not a pattern which is typical of every internet forum, then this is MAJOR information which should not get lost in the detail of any one thread. I suggest a notice of such should be posted somewhere on the OMF homepage. At some stage, perhaps you can provide more information as to the nature and frequency of the institutionally-sourced visits? i.e. are they read-only? posting in specific threads? Any collective or determinable trends? Another thread perhaps...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An interesting admission on the part of IVO, what he doesnt mention is that in order to glean this info they would have to take the IP's of persons posting there and run them through some third party software like Whois.

It seems like there is a policy at OM to "spy" on the IP's of those who post there.

Its one thing to check the IP's of trouble makers etc, but what Ivo alludes to here is a policy of checking every IP of every member........

I wonder how many of the members there who having done no wrong, just posting their opinion ,will have as a matter of course their IP's tracked back to there service providers and geographical location,would be happy with that level of personal intrusion
AussieMike
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality

Re: OMF and IP's

Postby Zep Tepi » Wed May 26, 2010 11:41 am

Our own server logs record the IP addresses of every visitor to the site, this is just standard procedure that isn't really anything out of the ordinary. These logs can be viewed by whichever stats package is installed on the server. I actually turned off the reverse DNS lookup in our package (the feature that translates the IP address to the domain name) because site performance is better with it turned off and I'm not really particularly interested in exactly where the visitors come from. The analytics software does the visitors by region thing which is enough for our needs.

Before I turned it off, it wasn't unusual to see visits from all kind of government and military installations from all over the world. They are not institutions staffed by robots, they are normal people with normal interests, the same as everyone else. The number of visits from universities and health authorities were also quite high, probably for the same reasons. I expect the same is true for most sites on the internet and it is really nothing out of the ordinary.

That OM choose to suggest other purposes for these visits is hardly surprising in my opinion ;)

If any kind of organisation wanted to trawl a specific site for specific information, I very much doubt they would be advertising the fact in any case.

Cheers,
Steve
Zep Tepi
1 of the RU3

Postby AussieMike » Wed May 26, 2010 9:09 pm

Good points Steve,
I use a free version of proboards so it doesnt have reverse DNS as a built in,
having said that even my forum (very small game forum) gets visits from the sorts of IP's you mention.
Ive had one come out of a subnet that belongs to Microsoft and even the pentagon
AussieMike
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality

Postby Smersh » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:27 pm

Zep Tepi wrote: ... Before I turned it off, it wasn't unusual to see visits from all kind of government and military installations from all over the world. They are not institutions staffed by robots, they are normal people with normal interests, the same as everyone else. The number of visits from universities and health authorities were also quite high, probably for the same reasons. I expect the same is true for most sites on the internet and it is really nothing out of the ordinary ...

Yep - I tend to agree with that Steve. Government organisations are staffed by people and those people like to surf the net the same as many other people. Maybe we should complain to our MPs and Congress people etc though that this is happening when they should be doing what we taxpayers pay them for - ie working. :wink:

Zep Tepi wrote: ...If any kind of organisation wanted to trawl a specific site for specific information, I very much doubt they would be advertising the fact in any case.

Oh I dunno - since when have governments had a reputation for being competent? :wink:
Pobody's nerfect
Smersh
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby Zep Tepi » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:20 am

Well, there is that!
Zep Tepi
1 of the RU3

Postby jeddyhi » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:57 pm

Bren tooting the horn of OMF once again.....

http://lucianarchy.proboards.com/index. ... e=5#320902

He continues to claim they get visitors from government facilities. He then draws the conclusion that OMF is a very special place to be receiving such visits. Here is a snippet.

And another BION mystery is while OM is dead and buried and crawling with google bots it is at the same time getting an increasing audience of 1.5 - 2 thousand individual real people who visit every day. The fact that
six years on a large number are still coming from places like NASA, DIA, Northrp Grumman, McDonnal, DODef. DHSec. Navl intel Etc etc and counterparts from similar agencies from the rest of the world, East and West. Is a BIONBION.

Why doesn't he understand that OMF is not special in that regard? Why doesn't he understand that a lot of forums and websites get the same type of IP's visiting them? Why does he use this propoganda technique to make allusions that OMF is under a government microscope? Why doesn't he realize that since 9-11, Homeland Security and other agencies troll the entire internet and not just his little forum of fantasy/sci-fi/disclosure topics?

I ask these questions rhetorically and do not expect anyone here to answer them for only Bren knows why he does what he does. But I do ask these questions so maybe others will ask them as well. And eventually maybe someone will pose these questions to Bren.
jeddyhi
Reality Is In Sight
Reality Is In Sight

Postby Zep Tepi » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:50 pm

If he genuinely believes all of that, he is in need of much more help than even I initially thought!

Even if someone did ask the question (I believe this has occurred in the past), any answer will be drenched in self-promotion and inaccurate techno-gobbledegook.

I hate to ask, but wth is a BION/BIONBION?! :shock:
Zep Tepi
1 of the RU3

Postby jeddyhi » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:35 am

I have no idea what bion/bion is. I think Bren is losing it lol.
jeddyhi
Reality Is In Sight
Reality Is In Sight

Postby ryguy » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:06 am

jeddyhi wrote:I have no idea what bion/bion is. I think Bren is losing it lol.

Hell, Bren lost it ages ago...lol
---
"Only a fool of a scientist would dismiss the evidence and reports in front of him and substitute his own beliefs in their place." - Paul Kurtz

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
ryguy
1 of the RU3

Postby harborsc » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:24 pm

I must admit some of the threads at OMF are just too much fun to ignore. "Dan the god" is really incredible in his ability to confuse his god. I hope someday they come to an understanding. :D
harborsc

Postby murnut » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:51 pm

So true Lev.....

Glad to see you about
"The Conformers are hard to read. They are rocks."
murnut
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality

Google

Return to OM Flames