OM and Mouse Trace

Any discussion related to OM goes here

Re: OM and Mouse Trace

Postby JonCurcio » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:33 am

Also, I really appreciate the kind and supportive words from you guys.
JonCurcio

Postby jeddyhi » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:36 am

Well Jon, rest easy my friend. That crummy feeling has passed and you did do the right thing. You took a stand and made a point. I was banned by OMF more than once. My last ban I was told via email they (the staff) would have to talk it over has to how long it would be. I responded for them to make it as long as they like because frankly, I really didn't care anymore. I have found a nice, decent place to post my thoughts and opinions right here at RU. The ban hammer is not ever really busy here and if it ever does come out, it is usually for good reason.

Here at RU you get fair and decent moderation, serious investigation and research and a really nice looking forum that is easy to use and pleasant to look at. I like it here and I do not miss OMF at all. Though sometimes I occasionally read something over there that is so asinine or off the wall, I have to scream at my computer screen lol. Then I realize that it is a good thing I am banned or I would get banned anyway by responding to the comical fluff over there.

Kick off your shoes and relax, buddy, this place is pretty cool and I think I can safely say that we are all glad to have you here! :wink:
jeddyhi
Reality Is In Sight
Reality Is In Sight

Postby murnut » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:46 am

hahahaha

Lee gets caught in another lie.

http://lucianarchy.proboards.com/index. ... e=6#314477
"The Conformers are hard to read. They are rocks."
murnut
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality

Postby bewildered » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:24 am

murnut wrote:hahahaha

Yeah, you aren't kidding. For as long as I can remember, members were unable to delete their own posts. You had to ask a "staff" member to do it. :roll:

Paranoia will destroy ya.
bewildered

Postby Zep Tepi » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:24 pm

I'm getting pretty sick and tired of reading the misinformation on display over there.

For example:
Mousetrace was offered as a free trial add-on for Google Analytics.

Nonsense, pure, unadulterated nonsense. MouseTrace isn't even offered in that way by the people who made the program!

As an add-on to Google Analytics, it was picked up by Google Analytics, which adapted its own code accordingly (in order to add an extra panel to Google Analytics).

Unbelievable! I can't believe they post these answers and think they will get away with it.
MouseTrace integrates with Google Analytics in a very rudimentary way, but in no way does GA adapt its code! Just how stupid do they think we are?

The extra panel is NOT added to Google Analytics, the extra panel is added to the Chrome web browser. There is a huge difference. The add-on is a browser plug-in and Google Analytics has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Why is this important? Simple, the OM staff are trying to legitimise their use of MouseTrace by implying it is all part of Google Analytics. It isn't. It never has been and it never will be.

From the MouseTrace description on the Chrome Add-on page (Written by MouseTrace, not Google)
Similar to the integration with Chartbeat, users will be provided with an extra live panel of information on all report pages which list the latest MouseTrace visits. From this panel users can view replays of the latest visits and query for specific types of visitors to provide further detail.

From the Google description (Written by Google):
This item can read every page that you visit -- your bank, your web email, your Facebook page, and so on. Often, this kind of item needs to see all pages so that it can perform a limited task such as looking for RSS feeds that you might want to subscribe to.

Caution: Besides seeing all your pages, this item could use your credentials (cookies) to request your data from websites.

That is exactly what happens in this case. The browser plug-in recognises the page and grabs the data using the credentials already supplied. The panel is then added to the browser window, not the Analytics web page :roll: When Google Analytics is loaded, it does not integrate with MouseTrace in any way whatsoever.

Those are the simple and easy to understand facts of the matter.

If you are an OM member reading this thread, ask yourself why the OM administrators continue to misdirect and deflect attention on to others.

We already know the answer. With a little reading, so will you.

ETA:
Oops, I forgot there was more to their misdirection.

When the mousetrace script was subsequently removed, the code for Google Analytics left the reference to Mousetrace in there, even though the script had been removed.

Wrong, you forgot to remove the browser plug-in. The code for Google Analytics has nothing to do with MouseTrace.
Zep Tepi
1 of the RU3

Postby jeddyhi » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:41 pm

yeah...I'm sick of it too!

Do I have to contact Google Analytics myself and ask them about Mouse Trace? I have no trouble doing stuff like that. Going after the truth is one of my passions! Mouse Trace has absolutely nothing to do with Google Analytics at all. That is the current lie being offered as the legitimate excuse for having installed the program. That excuse doesn't fly, makes no sense and is an outright lie.
jeddyhi
Reality Is In Sight
Reality Is In Sight

Postby Zep Tepi » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:27 pm

Heh, you beat me to it ;)
Zep Tepi
1 of the RU3

Postby jeddyhi » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:33 pm

Zep Tepi wrote:Heh, you beat me to it ;)

Well, you know me Steve! If there is a truth to be uncovered by a simple communication and a question put to the right people, I'm on it! :D
jeddyhi
Reality Is In Sight
Reality Is In Sight

Postby Smersh » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:13 pm

JonCurcio wrote:
And for the record, joncurcio deleted his own account and was not banned by any member of staff.

And for the record, lies like this are exactly why I deleted my account.

As I write, nobody in the OM thread, admin or otherwise has yet mentioned Jon's comment and screenshot I have just quoted. So I thought I'd post this to bring it back into view.
Pobody's nerfect
Smersh
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby ScaRZ » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:52 pm

bewildered wrote:
murnut wrote:hahahaha

Yeah, you aren't kidding. For as long as I can remember, members were unable to delete their own posts. You had to ask a "staff" member to do it. :roll:

Paranoia will destroy ya.

You are correct Bewildered,we can't delete the post but we can use the Edit Button and remove every word.
ScaRZ
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality

Postby bewildered » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:41 pm

ScaRZ wrote:You are correct Bewildered,we can't delete the post but we can use the Edit Button and remove every word.

There's a difference between the two. Editing leaves a visible record of the action and an edited post still occupies a "spot" on a thread; deletion leaves no record at all and changes the structure of a thread.
bewildered

Postby ScaRZ » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:52 pm

bewildered wrote:
ScaRZ wrote:You are correct Bewildered,we can't delete the post but we can use the Edit Button and remove every word.

There's a difference between the two. Editing leaves a visible record of the action and an edited post still occupies a "spot" on a thread; deletion leaves no record at all and changes the structure of a thread.

Sure!

My point was that if I wanted to I could remove my words without using a delete button. Of coarse it would take a very long time if I desired to remove them all. I'm sure a person wouldn't get very far unless the forum was empty of any Mods. I do believe a few years back if I remember correctly someone did that here at RU. It's worse than "Delete" in my opinion. If it's gone........"At least all of it is gone."
ScaRZ
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality

Postby philliman » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:28 pm

Smersh wrote:As I write, nobody in the OM thread, admin or otherwise has yet mentioned Jon's comment and screenshot I have just quoted. So I thought I'd post this to bring it back into view.

I fear that they will ignore it in hope that none of the OM-members is still reading this thread. Besides Scarz of course.

Even if they don't do that if they would read that thread at OM carefully they would notice that the admins still haven't explained why they've installed it in first place. No real explanation has been given why that program was running. All just lies and deflection. Well, the usual stuff we are used to get from the OM-admins.

Jedd, in case you've already contacted GA am looking forward to their response.
philliman
In Search of Reality
In Search of Reality

Postby jeddyhi » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:37 pm

philliman wrote:Jedd, in case you've already contacted GA am looking forward to their response.

I've submitted a question to the GA support forum and I have also sent off an email to the creator of Mouse Trace asking if Google has ever endorsed or offered his product as part of a package.....no response as of yet!

But we must remain focused on the real issue at hand. Why was a mouse tracking program that allows for viewing of a members monitor screen and exposure of PMs installed in the first place? Regardless of where Bren got the program, the intent and use of it as a snooping device is the real crux of the issue.

If Google never offered it, that just shows another outright lie. If, by chance, they did offer it.....so what?

The program was not designed for a discussion forum. I don't know why one would want to install it to a discussion forum. Unless the installer was fully aware of what it could potentially do as far as expose PMs and wanted to do exactly that.

The lame excuses given do not fully explain why it was needed. Accessing google analytics is about as easy as logging on to RU or OM so the claim of it offering easier access is kind of weird. OM's delay in responding to their own members queries further exacerbated the situation and made them look supiciously guilty of wrongdoing.

I will say that so far I have found no evidence to suggest that Google ever offered MouseTrace or endorsed it as part of Google Analytics. What I have found is that Mouse Trace advertised that their product was compatable with Google Analytics and offered a plug-in for Google Chrome.

I'll update everyone when and if I get any new information. :wink:
jeddyhi
Reality Is In Sight
Reality Is In Sight

Postby bewildered » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:46 pm

ScaRZ wrote:
bewildered wrote:

Sure!

My point was that if I wanted to I could remove my words without using a delete button. Of coarse it would take a very long time if I desired to remove them all. I'm sure a person wouldn't get very far unless the forum was empty of any Mods. I do believe a few years back if I remember correctly someone did that here at RU. It's worse than "Delete" in my opinion. If it's gone........"At least all of it is gone."

No argument there. If the issue is not post deletion but editing instead (in the interests of "thread integrity"), why allow members the ability to edit their posts at all? Members "in good standing" perform that operation constantly, some more than others as I'm sure you know. We've seen entire swaths of threads go "poof" due to editing. It's a scurrilous justification to ban a member, one that has no merit: "They left in what we state was a huff. Quick, ban 'em so they don't go crazy with the edit button!" :shock:

Out of curiosity, what do they do about members who are there and not in a huff, who go crazy with the edit button? Ban them so they stop? :D

EDIT: Here, I used the edit button. :wink:

I just wanted to add that a decent period of time elapsed between my last post on the MouseTrace thread, and when I was actually banned. It was more than enough time for me to go on an editing/deletion spree if I were so inclined. Unlike more prolific posters there on that forum, I didn't have that robust of a post count, so it wouldn't have been a big deal for me to don the "Editing Bandit" hat and cape and go wild. Naturally that didn't happen, so their justification (if you can call it that) is as lobotomy-friendly as the rest of the shenanigans they have been pulling in that thread. In any case, what's stopping anyone from being the Edit Bandit in the first place? Nuthin.
bewildered

PreviousNext

Google

Return to OM Flames