OM and Mouse Trace

Any discussion related to OM goes here

Re: OM and Mouse Trace

Postby Smersh » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:58 pm

philliman wrote:No problem, Smersh. Admin seems to have edited Anubus' original post.

Thing is that there shouldn't be any reason to install such an app/tool on your board. If you want to know in what kind of topics your members/visitors are interested in then you just got to check out how many are viewing a certain forum. If you want to know which topic could be popular check out how many hits and replies a thread does get. Both is visible at OM. So why installing something like Mouse Trace at all? I'm not even sure if it was designed for boards in first place.

Maybe it wasn't designed for boards Phil, but it sure looks like it can be used with at least some forum software.

And I'm far from comfortable with ANY webmasters (of forums or otherwise) being able to spy on their visitors like that (although they can do certain traces on ip addresses of course, unless those ips themselves are fake by the user having HideIP or a proxy or something similar.)
Pobody's nerfect
Smersh
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby murnut » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:35 pm

I'm not shocked....Bren is a known liar and paranoid wannabe cult leader.

He bans folks for posting on other websites and for having a skeptical opinion.

This fits perfectly with his past behavior.

OPEN MINDS....yeah right
"The Conformers are hard to read. They are rocks."
murnut
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality

Postby JonCurcio » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:04 pm

Smersh wrote:(EDIT) Hang on, looks like Jon may have already reported it to Probards just before Patrick posted, but didn't mention it until later on when he replied to Dove. (Although I couldn't be certain.) Apologies though if I'm muddying the waters here uneccessarily.

Yeah, that's what happened. I made the inquiry to ProBoards, then Patrick posted on the forum in response to my inquiry. Dove said that she was being bothered or accused somehow, so to clear it up I posted to say that I was the one who contaced ProBoards. Here is the screen grab of my inquiry:

JonCurcio

Postby philliman » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:09 pm

Thanks for your integrity to report this to proboards and for your courage to openly state that it was you so that others won't be blamed, Jon! And welcome to RU!

I find it interesting that it took five days until Bren/admin/lucianarchy finally replied to that thread although I could imagine that this issue must have already been brought to his attention. Plus Bren was active in the general subforum where he was posting in a thread he has started by himself. But I believe they are still five admins, aren't they. Yet it still needed someone from proboards to make admin finally post a statement. That's not how it usually works. OM-admins usually respond rather quickly when someone has any questions regarding posting, avatars etc etc. Interesting to see that this wasn't the case here.
philliman
In Search of Reality
In Search of Reality

Postby murnut » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:18 pm

I'll be responding to this post by dove...as I get a chance....

http://lucianarchy.proboards.com/index. ... e=2#313845
murnut
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality

Postby cerebcat » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:00 am

This will be interesting re Mur's response.

In view of this latest " tidbit", I find it difficult to understand how people can feel comfortable posting and exchanging PMs at OM forum. At least one member there, seems to have missed the point.

Kudos to Jon for reporting it.
cerebcat

Postby murnut » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:11 pm

Okay....here is the relavent part of Dove's post.

I'm a little upset that someone would assume that everyone here is mentally unstable because we are members here. We don't all fit into the same category, you know..

I happen to know several decent people on this forum, which is why I post here. Good, honest people. They are far from being unstable.

The threads you speak of are long done, and nobody bothers with that stuff anymore. We come here to discuss many other things that are important to us, and to be around people we get along with daily.

I was never interested in Serpo or Source A, anyways (though I did poke my head in the source thread a few times). I don't come here for those subjects. I come here to be around other people who know that life isn't quite what it seems on the surface.

There are a lot of other things that are discussed here, and those few topics you mention are dead by now. None of the decent people I speak of are remotely interested in those things at this time. We have better things to do and talk about.

Please don't make everyone here out to be nut-cases. I assure you this isn't the case. We have many Open Minds here, which seems to be lacking somewhat at RU. That doesn't make us gullible or nutty; it makes us flexible in our understanding and open to new things (which may or may not turn out to be true in the end).

We read along and perceive the truth (or disinformation) for ourselves. Just because we post on a forum that you believe is a host for hoaxes, doesn't mean we believe the stories without question. Many do not. Some do. For those who do, that's their business. They may not be able to recognize mis/disinformation at this point in their research. The truth will be known by all eventually, given time; whatever the truth is.

I think it's time you guys laid to rest your angst about Serpo and Source A. Get on with your lives and do some good for the world. Quit bemoaning how OM is a site dedicated to hoaxing. It isn't; there is so much more here than those two topics.

Material is presented here and people can make their own minds up about whether it's true or not. Please don't insult and attack the good people who do post here; we don't do that to you.

I don't think everyone at OMF is mentally unstable...but certainly there are a few.....some more than others.

I've read Dove's posts for years.....she has her wacky side.....she believes she is constantly being attacked telepathically and that it affects her physically.

That being said, she isn't the worst thing about OMF by a long shot.

I do have many problems with the site known as OMF and the people who run it.

It's a pattern that has emerged.

It's a pattern of supporting and covering up for hoaxes and hoaxers.

Gridkeeper still posts there for crying out loud.

It's also a pattern of silencing dissent...do I really need to list all the folks banned?

How about just one?

Phillman.

One of the most decent and level headed folks I ever met online.

He was banned from OMF because of pure paranoia by the Admins.

===========================================

Fore....alien advisor? Mentally unstable? He is a moderator.... right?

Generally speaking though....my issues with OMF are not with the membership.

Many sites have whack job members....OMF included

My issues are with those who run it.

It's not open minded at all when folks are banned for opinion, when opinion is censored, and when management protects hoaxes and hoaxers.

Mouse Trace is just another lie from a long list of lies being told there.

It fits the pattern.
murnut
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality

Postby jeddyhi » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:11 pm

Great post, Murnut!

My main observation concerning OM is that the staff seems more interested in generating and hosting controversy in order to create more page views than they are interested in actual truth. Sure, they may be open minded to any conspiracy, sighting, psychic prediction, etc....but in their devotion to openmindedness they at times ignore or deny truth.

I'm openminded as anyone but my first instinct is to always try to establish truth. Without truth, you leave yourself vunerable to deceit and hoaxes.

Their banning techniques are my next gripe. Usually a ban with no explanation. And the fear they show about bans being discussed on a thread is unusually weird. "NO MODERATOR ACTIONS TO BE DISCUSSED ON THE BOARD".....whatever. Nazi Germany was the same way. Don't question the Nazi Party, just toe the line and be a good citizen. Likewise, don't question the OM staff, just toe the line and be a good poster.

Bottomline is if you have a good reason for banning someone, then that action is easily defendable to any critics. But if you ban arbitrarily, then that complicates your actions.

I undertsand that forum owners may ban whom they wish and technically not have to answer to anyone, but when you have a membership base of over 5000 members, some are naturally going to have questions. But do not ask publicly. They would rather handle things in private where they can further bully and intimidate anyone who is curious and questions their actions.......OMF Gestapo!

Lastly, I don't think anyone at OM has ever considered the possibility that aliens are not here, have never been here and may never come here. Government run black projects based on secret technology that hide behind a facade of alien origins may be the single most elaborate hoax ever performed on a population. Is there a better way to hide and conceal something?

"No, of course we don't have flying saucers using exotic anti-gravity engines. That must be from another world!"

So any typical sighting of a possible government created UFO is immediatedly relegated to the whimsical world of UFOLOGY which is already looked at with ridicule and rolling eyes.

Are they openminded enough to even entertain this scenario? Even if it goes against an alien presence?

I don't think they are near openminded as they claim to be.

They are never openminded to the possibility of a hoax until it is laid out for them and exposed by research and facts.

In conclusion, when one is openminded only to subjects and topics that support their overall view, then one is not truly openminded at all.

RU is technically more openminded than OM could ever hope to be.
jeddyhi
Reality Is In Sight
Reality Is In Sight

Postby murnut » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:15 pm

Take note Dove.....

The Awesome post directly above is by a former Admin of OMF

That speak volumes.
murnut
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality

Postby ryguy » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:28 pm

jeddyhi wrote:They are never openminded to the possibility of a hoax until it is laid out for them and exposed by research and facts.

And even then, I'm not so sure they care...

In conclusion, when one is openminded only to subjects and topics that support their overall view, then one is not truly openminded at all.

RU is technically more openminded than OM could ever hope to be.

Three cheers to that! Thanks Jeddyhi. I still remember during our days there, years ago, thinking that you were a lot different from the rest of them. I couldn't put my finger on it, but I think your post above makes it obvious. You are level-headed, intelligent and sane. :-)

-Ryan
---
"Only a fool of a scientist would dismiss the evidence and reports in front of him and substitute his own beliefs in their place." - Paul Kurtz

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
ryguy
1 of the RU3

Postby Access Denied » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:41 am

First of all, a belated welcome to JonCurcio, kudos to you for actively taking the initiative to try and protect your fellow members from potential harm and thanks for posting this Andy, hadn't seen it...

Dove wrote:I'm a little upset that someone would assume that everyone here is mentally unstable because we are members here. We don't all fit into the same category, you know..

Sorry, that’s not what I meant. Perhaps this well help you understand a little better where I was coming from…

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockholm_syndrome

In psychology, Stockholm syndrome is a term used to describe a real paradoxical psychological phenomenon wherein hostages express empathy and have positive feelings towards their captors; sometimes to the point of defending them. These feelings are generally considered irrational in light of the danger or risk endured by the victims, who essentially mistake a lack of abuse from their captors as an act of kindness.

Or, as I sometimes have to remind myself… fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

Dove wrote:I happen to know several decent people on this forum, which is why I post here. Good, honest people. They are far from being unstable.

No doubt there are some good, honest folks there. I'm afraid the one's who aren't tend dominate the discussion though. Not suprising given the environment is optimized for it.

Dove wrote:The threads you speak of are long done, and nobody bothers with that stuff anymore. We come here to discuss many other things that are important to us, and to be around people we get along with daily.

I was never interested in Serpo or Source A, anyways (though I did poke my head in the source thread a few times). I don't come here for those subjects. I come here to be around other people who know that life isn't quite what it seems on the surface.

There are a lot of other things that are discussed here, and those few topics you mention are dead by now. None of the decent people I speak of are remotely interested in those things at this time. We have better things to do and talk about.

Well, I think you have a few banned members to thank for that.

Dove wrote:Please don't make everyone here out to be nut-cases. I assure you this isn't the case. We have many Open Minds here, which seems to be lacking somewhat at RU. That doesn't make us gullible or nutty; it makes us flexible in our understanding and open to new things (which may or may not turn out to be true in the end).

Again, no doubt not everyone there is a nut case so my apologies for the implication.

That said, I think RU and OM have very different definitions of what a truly open mind is… I would be happy to discuss that with you further here if you would like? Otherwise, suffice to say no topic is off limits here. However, intellectual dishonesty most definitely is and I think many get the wrong impression as a result. That policy also tends to thin out the herd quite a bit which ought to tell you something.

Dove wrote:We read along and perceive the truth (or disinformation) for ourselves. Just because we post on a forum that you believe is a host for hoaxes, doesn't mean we believe the stories without question. Many do not. Some do. For those who do, that's their business. They may not be able to recognize mis/disinformation at this point in their research. The truth will be known by all eventually, given time; whatever the truth is.

See above, I find it a bit naïve to believe everyone is capable of defending themselves and more than a little disturbing that you apparently believe they should be left to…

“All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.”

Dove wrote:I think it's time you guys laid to rest your angst about Serpo and Source A. Get on with your lives and do some good for the world. Quit bemoaning how OM is a site dedicated to hoaxing. It isn't; there is so much more here than those two topics.

Thanks for the advice but I think we’ve got it under control and I’m afraid those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it… however, by all means, suit yourself. Personally I think there’s something to be said for we are known by the company we keep.

Dove wrote:Material is presented here and people can make their own minds up about whether it's true or not. Please don't insult and attack the good people who do post here; we don't do that to you.

See above…

AD
Men go and come but Earth abides.
Access Denied
1 of the RU3

Postby philliman » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:14 pm

I would be pleased to see if we would be able to stop talking about single OM-members or about what someone might believe where UFOs do come from or not but if we would rather focus on what Mouse Trace is and what it's able to do and about the reasons for why a forum-admin might feel the need to install it on his board. So far I wasn't able to find any Google Analytics-package which had Mouse Trace in it. Instead it rather seems to be a stand alone program. Please correct me if I'm wrong and if meanwhile someone was able to find out more. Thanks.
philliman
In Search of Reality
In Search of Reality

Postby Smersh » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:08 pm

philliman wrote:I would be pleased to see if we would be able to stop talking about single OM-members or about what someone might believe where UFOs do come from or not but if we would rather focus on what Mouse Trace is and what it's able to do and about the reasons for why a forum-admin might feel the need to install it on his board ...

I agree. FYI guys, Fore has just made a lengthy post in the thread at OM, giving the OM side of the story about Mouse Trace. See his Reply #32 here.

That said, Fore is a moderator there and not an an admin.
Pobody's nerfect
Smersh
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby murnut » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:21 pm

I apologize to Dove for calling her wacky.

Fore is playing damage control.

I'm real curious about one thing.

Is Mouse Trace part of google analytics or not?
murnut
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality

Postby Smersh » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:29 pm

murnut wrote: ... Is Mouse Trace part of google analytics or not?

According to this it might be I guess (in as much as they mention functions such as "Time Tracker" and "Mouse Over Tracker." )

However, on the Mouse Trace Website here it says: "integrates with Google Analytics, Clicky, Statcounter & Chartbeat"
Pobody's nerfect
Smersh
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

PreviousNext

Google

Return to OM Flames