OM and Mouse Trace

Any discussion related to OM goes here

Re: OM and Mouse Trace

Postby murnut » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:24 pm

JonCurcio wrote:I deleted my account there, but apparently they felt the need to ban me on top of that...

Typical OMF tactics

Welcome to the club
"The Conformers are hard to read. They are rocks."
murnut
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality

Postby Smersh » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:27 pm

I'm still a member but it will be interesting to see if I now get banned just for posting in this thread at RU!
Pobody's nerfect
Smersh
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby philliman » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:38 pm

I ask the OM admins, why has JonCurcio been banned? What reason? What ToS has been violated? Is it now forbidden to get fed up with all the bs the OM-admins are telling?! THERE WAS NO REASON TO BAN HIM! Liars!

Ask yourself Bren is it all worth this? Is it worth to lose so many good members? For what? So that you guys can promote any darn silly hoax and nobody will challenge all your spins and lies?

I fear your sad little joke of a forum will become more quiet than it already is today.

Jon hasn't done anything wrong! There was no reason to ban him! He has chosen to leave like so many others before. Or is making one single post here at RU already a reason to ban someone at OM?

Well, actually you are doing us all a favor. Because by banning people as you please you expose yourself more than we ever could do.
philliman
In Search of Reality
In Search of Reality

Postby jeddyhi » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:41 pm

Latest test using Mouse Trace on a discussion forum. Zep registered and sent a PM. I wasn't able to view the construction of it but when he clicked on 'preview message', the PM was clearly visible using the Mouse Trace program.

Further testing is ongoing to see if when a recipient views his received messages, does mouse trace expose them!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7BVfooGIDs

Video is about 6 minutes long. The PM comes into play at about the 3:50 second mark.
jeddyhi
Reality Is In Sight
Reality Is In Sight

Postby jeddyhi » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:14 pm

philliman wrote:I ask the OM admins, why has JonCurcio been banned? What reason? What ToS has been violated? Is it now forbidden to get fed up with all the bs the OM-admins are telling?! THERE WAS NO REASON TO BAN HIM! Liars!

Ask yourself Bren is it all worth this? Is it worth to lose so many good members? For what? So that you guys can promote any darn silly hoax and nobody will challenge all your spins and lies?

I fear your sad little joke of a forum will become more quiet than it already is today.

Jon hasn't done anything wrong! There was no reason to ban him! He has chosen to leave like so many others before. Or is making one single post here at RU already a reason to ban someone at OM?

Well, actually you are doing us all a favor. Because by banning people as you please you expose yourself more than we ever could do.

Apparently they banned him for deleting his account lol. I guess when he left and slammed the door, they felt the need to lock it behind him.....typical OMF staff response.
jeddyhi
Reality Is In Sight
Reality Is In Sight

Postby jeddyhi » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:50 pm

OK folks, this last test seals the deal for me. Mouse Trace allowed the Administrator/s of OMF to have the capability to watch members view their PMs. They can continue to deny that Mouse Trace offers this capability but the video evidence cannot be denied. I set up a proboard forum, I installed the Mouse Trace program and started the testing. The conclusion is undeniable.

The latest vid shows Zep going to his inbox and viewing 2 PMs. One from me as the Adminstrator of the board and more importantly, one from Unknownuser who is just a regular member like Zep. Mouse Trace allowed for me to view PMs shared by two regular members of a forum I created. Normally that is not possible but Mouse Trace is a game changer. This program has no business being installed to a discussion forum for it plainly violates the privacy of any forum members.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS6rbt1_mLM

This latest video is short and sweet. I figured out how to speed up the trace so it doesn't last long. Enjoy!
jeddyhi
Reality Is In Sight
Reality Is In Sight

Postby JonCurcio » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:51 pm

jeddyhi wrote:I guess when he left and slammed the door, they felt the need to lock it behind him

:lol:
JonCurcio

Postby Zep Tepi » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:18 pm

This definitely seals the deal. Everything they have claimed about MouseTrace and its capabilities has been shown to be false. It doesn't surprise me in the slightest that OM saw those "benefits" and it surprises me even less the way they have tried to dance around the issue.

There is of course now also the wider issue of what this software does, and the privacy implications that have arisen as a result.

Both of these concerns - OM's behaviour and the privacy implications of this software - are being handled right now, as a matter of fact.

Stay tuned!
Zep Tepi
1 of the RU3

Postby murnut » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:08 am

This recent post caught my eye......

Why do we have this script running here?

http://crowdscience.com/products/audience_profiler

And why are there more than 20 other trackers running concurrently with it on the preview post page alone, and proliferate numbers of trackers every time the preview post button is ticked?

I'm not trying to be offensive or untractible here. Inquiring minds want to know why so many tracking devices are running on THIS forum. I frequent other Pro-Boards forums, and they don't have anything like this. No wonder pages time out before they load, or take longer than usual to post. Lots of stuff being executed between navigations. It can't all be Pro-Boards stuff, if other forums don't have it.

So really, what gives?

Read more: http://lucianarchy.proboards.com/index. ... z1TFufnlpr
murnut
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality

Postby Access Denied » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:01 am

JonCurcio wrote:I deleted my account there, but apparently they felt the need to ban me on top of that...

You can't quit, you're fired! :lol:
Men go and come but Earth abides.
Access Denied
1 of the RU3

Postby Zep Tepi » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:16 am

Big Brother IS Watching You

Everything in one article, courtesy of JeddyHi and me. Enjoy!
Zep Tepi
1 of the RU3

Postby murnut » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:27 am

more from Lee....

On behalf of the staff here I would like to say that we are saddened to see members leave over what is essentially a misunderstanding.

That said, we do not intend to pander to baseless accusations which originate outside of this forum and which are clearly intended to disparage our reputation.

However, as a good will gesture and as a final word on this matter, we will conduct a review of each and every script currently employed on this forum. We will report our findings in due course.

Thank you for your understand,

Lee

And then this from Agent 99...(I'm not a fan of hers given the lies she told during the source A hoax unraveling)

No need to be the doormat Lee -- they'll be back. ;)

I'm glad to see that at least some folks, like fin below....have the good sense not to give into the BS being spread.

Asking the right questions is a good start....

I doubt it.. At least, not until the mods/admins start to make some sense. I have two simple questions which I would love an answer to:
1: Why was mousetrace EVER used at all? What was the motivation for implementing it?
2: Why on earth would it be implemented on a site such as this if the admin did not understand its full uses/effects?

It's all very well saying "its all just a big misunderstanding". I could say that to someone as I walk out of their house in the middle of the night with their tv in my hand.. But it still doesn't explain my motivations or reasoning behind what I am doing. This board is a joke.

http://lucianarchy.proboards.com/index. ... e=3#314292#ixzz1TGg41Yjf
murnut
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality

Postby jeddyhi » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:39 am

Quoting Lee, an Admininstrator and part owner of Open Minds Forum:

On behalf of the staff here I would like to say that we are saddened to see members leave over what is essentially a misunderstanding.

That said, we do not intend to pander to baseless accusations which originate outside of this forum and which are clearly intended to disparage our reputation.

However, as a good will gesture and as a final word on this matter, we will conduct a review of each and every script currently employed on this forum. We will report our findings in due course.

Thank you for your understand,

Lee

Read more: http://lucianarchy.proboards.com/index. ... z1TGcx6WhX

First and foremost, I hope that the staff of OM realizes that these baseless accusations originated from their own members in their own thread. OMF member anubus30 noticed the script running and started a thread asking questions such as:

Why does this site use MouseTrace?

"Watch replays showing exactly what your website visitors are doing."

http://www.mousetrace.com/

Looks innocent at face value, but definitely looks like it could be use in sinister ways.

Do you guys use key-loggers too? or snoop at people's private messages?

I caught this being loaded by accident when moving from one thread to the next. I really hope this is to better the site or whatever is claimed by the product. So another question is, what improvements has this software allowed you to make so far, if any?

How many of you were aware this was running as you visit this site?

These are honest, concerned questions?

After 5 days of silence from the Admin/Owner team, a convoluted excuse was given that did not really make any sense at all. Further replies mirrored the same confusing double talk.

Mouse Trace does not come as any part of Google Analytics though it does integrate with it as well as other site tracking software. This whole premise of the program being installed with honest and good intentions can't help but to seem a little preposterous when Mouse Trace is actually designed for websites that offer a product or service rather than a discussion forum. The Mouse Trace home page states:

•Optimise your site, landing pages and checkout pages.

Open minds Forum doesn't have a checkout page last time I looked. Stat counters can easily reveal what pages are being viewed at OMF so the question of why this Mouse Trace program was originally installed is the 64,000 dollar question of the day.

I'm sure OMF members can't help but feel like a little spying was going on.....possibly to pinpoint suspected sockpuppets, or to see what certain members were saying to others. Who really knows? The OMF staff knows, or at least the Admin does since he seems to take responsibilty for installing it.

Now whatever the reason for the installation, the simple fact remains that this programs allows an Administrator (whoever has the Mouse Trace Account) to view Private Messages. Whether this was a 'known benefit' and guiding reason for the installation, we may never truthfully know because I doubt that OMF is going to admit to spying and privacy breaches. But their response and actions since the discovery only further the suspicion that has been cast upon them.

I personally feel they acted as if they were caught with their hand in the cookie jar. And the only excuse we are getting is that they weren't looking for cookies lol.
jeddyhi
Reality Is In Sight
Reality Is In Sight

Postby jeddyhi » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:48 am

Zep Tepi wrote:Big Brother IS Watching You

Everything in one article, courtesy of JeddyHi and me. Enjoy!

Bumped!
jeddyhi
Reality Is In Sight
Reality Is In Sight

Postby Access Denied » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:49 am

Nice work Steve and John!

Shouldn't there should be some serious consequences for violating ProBoards' TOS for downloading and running spyware on member's (and visitor's) machines without their consent?

I’ve long kept OM along with a few other problem children in my Restricted Sites zone in Internet Explorer for good reason but no doubt the average user is blissfully unaware…

Restricted Sites.png
Restricted Sites.png (10.61 KiB) Viewed 1650 times

ETA: Missed this earlier post on OM...

Lee wrote:Seriously, folks. Do you really think that any of the staff here have the time and/or inclination to read your PMs...? Not only is it not possible, we all have real jobs and real lives outside of OMF, and that really doesn't leave much time for spying on members. :roll:

Unbelievable, another OM admin continuing to lie to his membership… does he really think they’re that stupid? They don’t have to take our word it, MouseTrace’s own website says it takes screenshots of what you see on your computer... it's spyware!
Men go and come but Earth abides.
Access Denied
1 of the RU3

PreviousNext

Google

Return to OM Flames