Censorship

Censorship

Postby Chorlton » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:47 am

There has suddenly been an outbreak of Political Correctness on this forum. People are unable to have a laugh and giggle without some old lady moaning or some other old lady censoring or deleting posts.

If I want that I can get it at ATS.

Im taking a break. Possibly permanently. I'll see. That will probably make some people happy. Good on ya.
I dont tolerate censorship neither do I tolerate people without a sense of humour
I have become that which I always despised and feared........Old !

My greatest wish, would be to own my own scrapyard.
Chorlton
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Re: Censorship

Postby mojo » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:39 pm

not trying to down grade what your saying but ive not seen much in the way of censorship here.
maybe im not looking in the right places. :)

btw, i hope you don't nick off permanently, your one of the reasons i decided to play here as well.

mojo
mojo
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby torbjon » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:33 pm

ya, what's with that? I hope you are not referring to me asking Ray and Ry to take a break from their head bashing over in the political forum, are you? I saw the concept "I'm not your friend anymore" and had to say something 'bout that one... Nola says that when she gets ticked off, it's something we're working on as that's a pretty heavy thing to say to someone when yer ticked, ya know? And it can be So Forever... IF it's for real, then nothing wrong with taking a break and thinking about it for a bit... right?

As far as Censorship goes.... Where? What got cut?? I'm anti censorship to the Nth degree...
Expendable Guy. The show is no good without them.
torbjon
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby Chorlton » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:44 am

torbjon wrote:As far as Censorship goes.... Where? What got cut?? I'm anti censorship to the Nth degree...

No one knows whats going on behind the scenes because the relevant posts were deleted. Yep Deleted.
I would suggest asking AD. But carefull how you word it as it might be censored......or even deleted.

Chorlton
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Postby Zep Tepi » Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:33 am

Ooh the drama!
:roll:

It wasn't anything of great consequence if truth be told. I didn't see what LS wrote to know what got deleted, but Chorlton's "Get a life ffs" one line comment was deemed innaproriate and perhaps even misunderstood. He was asked politely to edit it and when he refused to do so, the post was deleted and other posts in the thread moved to the relevant sections in the forum. And for that we get likened to what goes on at ATS? [-X
Zep Tepi
1 of the RU3

Postby Chorlton » Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:48 am

Zep Tepi wrote:Ooh the drama!
:roll:

It wasn't anything of great consequence if truth be told.

Then why was it treated as such and deleted ?

I didn't see what LS wrote to know what got deleted, but Chorlton's "Get a life ffs" one line comment was deemed innaproriate and perhaps even misunderstood. He was asked politely to edit it and when he refused to do so, the post was deleted and other posts in the thread moved to the relevant sections in the forum. And for that we get likened to what goes on at ATS?

Deemed innapropriate by the standards of one person in another part of the world? If it was misunderstood then maybe AD should have checked with others as to the basic meaning of what was said before he got his sledgehammer out to crack this nut? Did he? I doubt it.

Do posters have to ask permission now to post like one adult to another in case it upsets someone in the US?

By the way you CAN see what LS wrote as, mysteriously it has reappeared after dissapearing!!!! Like Magic !! Wow !!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1483
Yet my response has been deleted . Its Censorship in its basest form based on the fact that one person doesnt understand the meaning of something said in another country.
Maybe I should have responded to LS's post the correct way by saying "Get a Life for f---- sake" but I didnt, I used the more polite "FFS"
The slippery slope has been reached. When does the slide start?

Chorlton
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Postby ryguy » Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:18 pm

Deemed innapropriate by the standards of one person in another part of the world? If it was misunderstood then maybe AD should have checked with others as to the basic meaning of what was said before he got his sledgehammer out to crack this nut? Did he? I doubt it.

AD works here (for peanuts, btw...as in...nothing) to try to keep the peace and to make sure the few terms we have in place are followed. We allow a heck of a lot more than other forums when it comes to open and frank conversation - but when things deteriorate into nothing more than one-line attacks against another person, we trust that AD has fair judgement in dealing with who and what crosses the line. I agree that the last part of the conversation was right on the line, but AD made a judgement call, and Steve and I support that judgement 100%.

Do posters have to ask permission now to post like one adult to another in case it upsets someone in the US?

While the one-liner is probably a bit more offensive in the U.S. than it is in the U.K. (what's new...), any one-line post made for the sole purpose to deliver a comment like that isn't appropriate and should be deleted. It adds nothing to the conversation. If you wanted to counter LS' post with strong counter-arguments, have at it.

By the way you CAN see what LS wrote as, mysteriously it has reappeared after dissapearing!!!! Like Magic !! Wow !!

There's nothing magic about AD moving the thread as Steve asked him to do in that very thread. You're not the tin-foil hat type Chorlton...you're freakin' me out man.

Maybe I should have responded to LS's post the correct way by saying "Get a Life for f---- sake" but I didnt, I used the more polite "FFS"
The slippery slope has been reached. When does the slide start?

That would/should be deleted too. However, if you want to post why his comments show he has no life...have at it mate. Relevant posts are rarely if ever deleted around here. Simple one-liners may often be deleted - there's nothing wrong with that. It reduces clutter and irrelevant posts.

-Ry
---
"Only a fool of a scientist would dismiss the evidence and reports in front of him and substitute his own beliefs in their place." - Paul Kurtz

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
ryguy
1 of the RU3

Postby Chorlton » Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:53 pm

LS's post WAS removed at first and NOT simply moved. I have a PM here from AD stating it WAS removed along with my reply. Then after I kicked up a stink, LS's post returns as if by magic yet my post remains deleted, dont try to change the facts. It was removed, FACT

You cannot camouflage Censorship. IF AD missinterpretted my post then let him apologise and its finished.
If not then repost what I said and lets see what everyone else thinks, and Ill abide by that.
Im happy for my peers to judge me but I wont tolerate being censored by someone who doesnt understand or missinterprets what Im posting, or do I and everyone else here have to post an explanation of exactly what I or they posted, for the benefit of those who's knowledge and understanding of the English language is limited?.
This isnt a US forum. It CANNOT be judged by what is or isnt right by US standards.

This also isnt the first time censorship has raised its ugly head here either is it? So lets have it out now eh?

Chorlton
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Postby Zep Tepi » Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:35 pm

No, this isn't a US forum but neither is it a UK forum - it is an international forum and as such there will be misunderstandings from time to time.
However, what I certainly don't understand is your continuing insistence that the removal of your "Get a life ffs" comment to be censorship. What an utter load of bollocks. For one thing, "get a life ffs" can be considered offensive if there are no other comments to back it up with. In your case there weren't. It was a simple one liner and when requested - politely - to edit the post you replied by simply stating "no". In THAT situation it is perfectly understandable why your post was removed. Your reply did not make it clear you intended the post in jest, you did not edit the post to reflect the post was intended in jest, and your one word reply to an an admin of this site gave the impression it certainly was not intended in jest.

From the board rules: (emphasis added)
The current moderators of this Forum have put in place a minimal set of rules to help keep discussions interesting but courteous. No subject within this arena is off limits; however, posters will be expected to engage one another with civility.

2. Personal attacks upon other posters are prohibited. While lively discussion is encouraged, all posters are expected to maintain a courteous decorum toward others, even when expressing an opposing viewpoint.

Is "get a life ffs" universally accepted to be courteous or civil? You seem to be up in arms because a person from the US saw that comment as offensive, yet you don't appear to get how your comment can be considered an insult. Like I said in PM, this is not a UK forum, irrespecitve of where I or you come from. International standards apply, not ones cherry-picked to conform with one person's idea of what is right or wrong.

It was deemed to be an insult, the post was removed because of your refusal to edit - simple as. That's what happened here. Not some bollocks that you've invented to make it appear as if we've turned into the censorship police. Get a grip ffs!

Btw, if we were into censoring opinions do you think we'd let this thread stay? No, of course not, yet here it is.

Sheesh!
Zep Tepi
1 of the RU3

Postby Chorlton » Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:52 pm

Zep Tepi Said:
"Is "get a life ffs" universally accepted to be courteous or civil? You seem to be up in arms because a person from the US saw that comment as offensive, yet you don't appear to get how your comment can be considered an insult."

As I stated previously, if I had intended it to be an Insult I would have said "For f---- Sake" and NOT have posted FFS

Zep Tepi Said:
"Like I said in PM, this is not a UK forum, irrespecitve of where I or you come from. International standards apply, not ones cherry-picked to conform with one person's idea of what is right or wrong."

And as you also said in PM maybe AD may have missed the nuances of how the term is used over here in the UK.
But it would look like when someone says something in a post now, they will have to add a rider to their post explaining the nuances of their word or statement so that it is not misinterpretted. Lets just hope you dont get some Dinky-Di, dyed in the wood Ozzies on here as youll need a dictionary to understand them.

But theres still the point of Censorship not only of my post (for despite what you say it was censorship) but of other posts made earlier in the year.
Is this because of Google syndication or the like?
As I said. We've reached the slippery slope. When does the slide begin? or has it already begun? has money reared its ugly head now? and is the slow incessant slide towards censorship going to mute freedom of speech here?

Chorlton
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Postby Zep Tepi » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:08 pm

Quick answer? No.
Slightly longer answer? What a load of bollocks. The site doesn't even make enough money to cover the hosting costs, I wish it did. In any case, even if that were an issue the post would still have been seen as offensive, given the context, or lack thereof. What the hell does money have to do with it? A (perceived) insult will never be allowed on this forum, simple as.

As for what you said about providing a rider with every post, how do you suppose someone should interpret a one line post, bereft of any context whatsoever? Surely it is down to the poster to make themselves clear? Your quick "no" when asked to edit the post is reason enough alone to have the post removed, when taken in context with the message itself.

I'm beginning to wonder why you are making such a big thing out of this. Your post was deemed to be insulting, therefore was removed. Censorship? No, them's the rules mate.
Zep Tepi
1 of the RU3

Postby Chorlton » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:13 pm

You still havent answered the question of the earlier censorship of Torbs post by AD?

But OK I can see its best if I leave.

To me its a simple matter of principle.
I shouldnt have to explain the meanings or nuances of what I post, and to be judged by someone who has no knowledge of those nuances or meanings is simply not right.

Its been fun
Good Luck

Chorlton
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Postby Zep Tepi » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:20 pm

You still havent answered the question of the earlier censorship of Torbs post by AD?

What question would that be Chorlton? I've just had a quick look and the only thing I can see is where you say "it's happened before". Has it? Do enlighten me before you go and maybe I will be able to answer it. As things stand at the moment, I can't think what has gotten into you.
Zep Tepi
1 of the RU3

Postby Access Denied » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:21 pm

Chorlton wrote:LS's post WAS removed at first and NOT simply moved. I have a PM here from AD stating it WAS removed along with my reply. Then after I kicked up a stink, LS's post returns as if by magic yet my post remains deleted, dont try to change the facts. It was removed, FACT

BS! Prove it and post the PM! I told you I asked LS to edit his post to please remove the off-topic material just like I did you! It’s been there the whole time.

Your response to my request was "No". I just got LS's response this morning and he says he wants it moved with the rest of the off-topic stuff because he thinks it’s important but I don’t have time now as I’m late for work and I’m not sure where to move it to without it being off-topic or out of sequence because of the date stamp.

BTW LS probably never saw your comment before I deleted it after you said "No" so he's probably wondering WTF?

LS, can you please repost your comment here in this thread for discussion and I’ll delete it from your original post later or something?
Men go and come but Earth abides.
Access Denied
1 of the RU3

Postby Chorlton » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:23 pm

Zep Tepi wrote:

What question would that be Chorlton? I've just had a quick look and the only thing I can see is where you say "it's happened before". Has it? Do enlighten me before you go and maybe I will be able to answer it. As things stand at the moment, I can't think what has gotten into you.

I would suggest you ask the person who made the post, Torbjohn.
It was chopped and censored, or maybe ask AD as he was the person that did it

My apologies to AD, I was wrong in saying he asked LS to remove the post.He simply stated:
"I deleted your post. BTW I also asked LS to edit his post."

Still censorship through misunderstanding though.

Chorlton
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Next

Google

Return to The Latrine - Anything Else