Good grief

Good grief

Postby JayKew » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:29 pm

How did this get into my message box here ...

Dearest in the lord,

I am Mrs. Roseline Dickson, from Sierra Leone . I am married to late Mr. Alfred Dickson , who worked with Sierra Leone Embassy in Ivory Coast for Sixteen years before he died in the year 2006,after a brief illness that lasted for only five days. We were married for Eighteen years with a duaghter (Stella) who later died in a motor accident.
Before the untimely death of my husband,we were both born again Christians(from Muslim to Christianity). And since after his death I decided not to remarry or get a child outside my matrimonial home because of the love I have for him .
When my late husband was alive, he deposited the sum of (US$1.2M) One Million Two hundred Thousand United States Dollars) in a General Trust Account with a prime bank here in Abidjan, Ivory Coast .
Following my ill health, being a victim to cancer , I have decided to donate this fund to a Christain organizations (Church or person) that will utilize this fund the way I am going to instruct herein,according to the desire of my late husband. I want this fund to be used in Christian Activities like,Orphanages, Christain schools, and Churches for propagating the word of god and to endeavour that the house of the lord is maintained.
I took this decision because I don't have any child that will inherit this money and my husband relatives are not Christians and do not know about this deposit . I am not afraid of death since I know where I am going. Exodus 14 VS 14 says that "the lord will fight my case and I shall hold my peace".
I don't need any telephone communication in this regard because of my health situation as well the presence of my late husband's relatives around me . I don't want them to know about this development/wish of my late husband hence I want it to be fulfilled . As soon as I receive your reply, I shall give you the contact of the bank here in Abidjan and would introduce you officially to them.
My happiness is that I lived a life of a worthy Christian. Whoever that Wants to serve the Lord must serve him in spirit and truth. Please always be prayerful all through your life as well commit me into your daily prayers.
Contact me on this email(mrsdickson@hosanna.net) as soon as possible since any delay in your reply will give me room to source another Church/christian for this same purpose. Please assure me that you will act accordingly as I stated herein. Hoping to receive your reply immediately .

Remain blessed in the Lord.
Roseline Dickson.
Avenue 4 Marcory residential
14 bp 211 Abidjan 14

A standard Nigerian 401 scam.

But to have it delivered to my RU mailbox here .... well that takes some doing lol.

Jay
JayKew
In Search of Reality
In Search of Reality

Re: Good grief

Postby ryguy » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:40 pm

Sorry everyone,

The user has now been banned for spamming. Steve usually does the approvals, but lately I think he's been in a bit of a hurry with the baby coming pretty soon and everything. Stuff like this usually doesn't get past his b.s. filter!

-Ryan
---
"Only a fool of a scientist would dismiss the evidence and reports in front of him and substitute his own beliefs in their place." - Paul Kurtz

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
ryguy
1 of the RU3

Postby Smersh » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:17 pm

Oddly enough, there were some similar pm's over at Space.com when the forum was going a while back and also at my own site LTL at about the same time. Needless to say, the senders at both sites were swiftly dispatched into a parallel universe. This type of message is usually sent by e-mail but if the scammers can join a forum and send some of them out that way, they will do so by the looks of it.

For anyone who isn't already aware, this type of scam is known as Advance-fee fraud or "419" scam. The number "419" refers to an article of the Nigerian Criminal Code which deals with obtaining property by false pretences, although these e-mails don't just come from Nigeria but can originate from any country in the world. (The one in the op was from Sierra Leone by the looks.)

There are also a number of people out there known as "scambusters" who enjoy stringing the scammers along by entering into correspondence with them, wasting their time and getting them more and more frustrated, without ever actually giving them what they want. Of course, this will take up time as well on the part of the scambuster, but it has to be treated as a hobby, which if done well will provide much entertainment and laughter along the way. (Not from the scammer though of course!) It's also very useful because while the scammers are wasting their time with the scambusters, they are not conning someone else out of their money. Here's a very good example of their work, by a scambuster who called himself "Gilbert Murray." (The website no longer exists sadly but it's still available on the web archive site.) ...

http://web.archive.org/web/200903272047 ... 419.co.uk/

Many examples of e-mail correspondence back and forth are shown there and they are hilarious. Here's the introduction to one of my favourites:

The Vicar V

In which Reverend Murray is asked to help the widow of Nigeria’s ex-dictator to hide away her family’s ill-gotten fortune, out of the reach of the Nigerian government. What will Mrs Abacha make of Gilbert’s recent conversion to the Church of Zeal or no Zeal? What will she make of Gilbert’s new verger? And will she be willing to give Gilbert’s unusually large organ the attention it deserves?

Cast of characters
Gilbert Murray – vicar of Saint Bodkin’s Church, Gypping in the Marsh.
Beaker – Reverend Murray’s new verger.
Mariam Abacha – allegedly the widow of General Sani Abacha, the former Head of State of Nigeria.
Barrister John Bernard – allegedly Mrs Abacha’s personal attorney.
Barrister Okeke – a fake rival scammer, introduced into proceedings by Gilbert to put pressure on the real scammers ...

Read all the e-mails in "VIcar V" here. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Another very good scambusters' site and one that's still going strong, with an active forum, lots of e-mail transcripts and even videos the scammers have been persuaded to make of themselves on the pretence they'll be sent some money is this one:

http://www.419eater.com

In the forum there, users sometimes list their "safaris" in their signatures. A safari occurs after a scammer has been corresponding with a scambuster and an arrangement has been made between the parties to meet up at some remote airport somewhere, often hundreds of miles from where the scammer lives, in the pretence that a large sum of money will be handed over. Of course, the scambuster doesn't turn up and makes an excuse afterwards in another e-mail ... :lol:

(EDIT) Sorry, they are generally known as "scambaiters" not "scambusters." If you read through the info on the 419eater.com site though, the scammers do get busted as well in some cases because they have ended up being arrested following the work of the baiters. 8)
Pobody's nerfect
Smersh
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby Tim Hebert » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:16 pm

Smersh, I have to say that I enjoyed your links to the 419 site. Certainly, a unique and clever way to string the scam artist along for a period of time and forcing them to waste time as well! My best is of course, Vicar Murray and his never ending effort to restore is organ. :lol:

Tim
Tim Hebert
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby Smersh » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:04 pm

You're very welcome Tim and glad you enjoyed it. There's enough reading on those sites in the e-mail transcripts etc for many months of entertainment. :)
Pobody's nerfect
Smersh
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby bewildered » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:03 am

Smersh, that 419eaters site is a real gem. There's quite a volume of information to look over there: from what I have perused thus far, some of it is very informative, and most of it is uproariously funny. Now that I've had a taste, I'm going to keep my eye on what they are doing there. 8)
bewildered

Postby bewildered » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:14 am

Tim Hebert wrote:Smersh, I have to say that I enjoyed your links to the 419 site. Certainly, a unique and clever way to string the scam artist along for a period of time and forcing them to waste time as well! My best is of course, Vicar Murray and his never ending effort to restore is organ. :lol:

Tim

Tim, I was rather impressed by this particular bait done by member "internationalchrysis" found here: _http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=204726_

Her character's psychotic niece "Sabrina" is an excellent piece of work. :mrgreen:
bewildered

Postby Tim Hebert » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:17 pm

bewildered wrote:Tim, I was rather impressed by this particular bait done by member "internationalchrysis" found here: _http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=204726_

Her character's psychotic niece "Sabrina" is an excellent piece of work.

Thanks for the link, I try and get to it some time today! Smersh's link has kept me entertained...

Smersh, Gypping on the Marsh, fictitious right? Ingenious town website and all!

Tim
Tim Hebert
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby Smersh » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:22 pm

bewildered wrote:Smersh, that 419eaters site is a real gem. There's quite a volume of information to look over there: from what I have perused thus far, some of it is very informative, and most of it is uproariously funny. Now that I've had a taste, I'm going to keep my eye on what they are doing there. 8)

You're very welcome Bewildered. :)

Tim Hebert wrote: ... Smersh, Gypping on the Marsh, fictitious right? Ingenious town website and all!

Tim

Absolutely fictitious Tim. "Gilbert Murray" and "Gypping in the Marsh" have both been invented for the sole purpose of scambaiting.

As you can probably imagine, one has to be very careful in dealing with these scammers and make sure there is no way they can trace the true identity or whereabouts of the baiters. 419eater.com has the following warning here:

WARNING

Please remember that these people are CRIMINALS and should be treated as such.

Under no circumstances must you enter into any communications with these people unless you feel you are adequately prepared to deal with them.

Under NO CIRCUMSTANCES give them ANY real private information about yourself. These guys may appear dumb and clueless, but I suspect it wouldn't be so funny if you were to come face-to-face with one of them, although I'll be the first to admit the chances against this happening are astronomical - unless of course you are dumb enough to fly over to meet them in person, in which case you need to be sectioned ASAP!

The tips below are for INFORMATION ONLY. 419eater.com cannot be held responsible for what you decide to do with the information.

If you are unsure of what you are doing please LEAVE WELL ALONE!

The scammers can be very nasty pieces of work and sometimes have accomplices in other countries as well, who might carry out a revenge attack against anyone who is careless enough to reveal their true identity or location.

Another very funny scambaiter is "Shiver Metimbers" at 419eater. Some of the things he's persuaded the scammers to waste their time with are truly mind-boggling - making videos of themselves doing daft stunts, that kind of thing. There's a list of his e-mails here: http://www.419eater.com/html/letters.htm :)
Pobody's nerfect
Smersh
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby Tim Hebert » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:14 pm

Thanks Smersh and Bewildered, this should provide for enjoyable reading for the next few days, if not more. Agreed, if tangling with these scam artist is risky, then most should leave well enough alone and delete the email message entirely.

Tim
Tim Hebert
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Google

Return to The Latrine - Anything Else