Submarines

Submarines

Postby Buckwild » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:58 pm

Hi folks,

As some of you already know, I just love submarines and I decided to open an endless topic about them.

I'll just open up the festivities with a picture I found on Tim Printy's website : http://home.comcast.net/~tprinty/Main.htm

My question will probably sound stupid but since I am very curious by nature, I would like to know what this white buoy hanging on the sail was meant for ?

Cheers,
Buck
Buckwild
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Re: Submarines

Postby RICH-ENGLAND » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:37 pm

i could be wrong but i think its an antenna buoy, maybe they just had it out for testing or repair.

thanks

rich
ATS HAS TURNED INTO A "BALLOONATIC" ASYLUM
RICH-ENGLAND
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby Buckwild » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:15 pm

RICH-ENGLAND wrote:i could be wrong but i think its an antenna buoy, maybe they just had it out for testing or repair.
thanks
rich

Thx Rich,

I guess that you are thinking about a towed communication buoy. I doubt that they would use white to start with because it would make it visually detectable from the surface and/or from the air. For example, VLF radio waves (3–30 kHz) can penetrate seawater to a depth of approx' 20 meters (approx' 60 ft deep), so the buoy would need to be at a depht of 20 m or less. From what I know, hydrodynamics aspect in order to reduce wake and increase stability are very important. Also, this little buoy does look like a simple buoy that you could buy in any boat shop.

I just don't get it, why there ? To protect the sail from being damaged from what ?

Couldn't find pictures of modern TCBs used by the USN but I found one picture of a modern one used by the Royal Navy :

Cheers,
Buck
Buckwild
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby chrLz » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:31 am

OK, I should initially admit that my extensive marine experience (yes, really..) only extends to smaller vessels, but that looks much more like an ordinary fender than a buoy. In other words - to use technical terms - it's a squishy thing what you hang over the side of your floating thingy (or... 'boat') :), so that it don't get scratched/dented/broken by whatever you have tied up to (aka 'wharf/jetty/pontoon/other boat')...

Fenders do float (after all, if you drop your squishy thing in the water, you don't want it to sink..), but isn't a buoy, and wouldn't keep anything much afloat other than maybe some heavy fishing tackle... As submarine fenders are generally a lot-lot-lot bigger and more sophisticated in their designs (plus it doesn't appear to be fending anything much up there) I suspect it has another purpose or belongs to a related small vessel and was just hung over the tower.

Er.... to dry... You don't ever want to have a wet, soggy fender. :lol:
"To wear the mantle of Galileo, it is not enough that you be persecuted by an unkind establishment. You must also be right." - Robert L. Park (..almost)
chrLz

Unidentified fenders objects

Postby Buckwild » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:11 pm

Lol ChrLz, :mrgreen:

My bad sorry, I thought that buoy = fender, still learning new words in english. Yes, it does look like a cheap ass fender ! Let me tell you a story about fenders I've heard in an Irish pub. I knew some sailors who told me that friends of them almost went to jail because of the fenders... Well, these guys had to bring a sailboat from St-Marteen (NL) in the Carribbean to Brest in France and someone stuffed the fenders with cocaine.

Now, if you look at this page :
http://home.comcast.net/~tprinty/Navy/Navy6.htm

You will notice that fenders are on both sides of the sail. Still unidentified if you ask me :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Buck
Buckwild
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby chrLz » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:22 pm

heheh..

Yes, this is very mysterious.

I'm going with alien origin. 8)
"To wear the mantle of Galileo, it is not enough that you be persecuted by an unkind establishment. You must also be right." - Robert L. Park (..almost)
chrLz

Postby Access Denied » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:52 am

chrLz wrote:I'm going with alien origin. 8)

Put me down for stinky bait... :wink:
Men go and come but Earth abides.
Access Denied
1 of the RU3

Postby LCARS24 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:49 am

The guy on the right (in dark clothing) looks 47 months pregnant. :roll:
The beatings will continue until morale improves.
LCARS24
In Search of Reality
In Search of Reality

Postby Smersh » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:25 pm

Here in Her Majesty's United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland we are proud to now have the Astute Class (SSN) submarines in service with the Royal Navy. :D

As I write, two of the four boats originally commissioned are now in service, HMS Astute and HMS Ambush. According to this a further three boats have been ordered from BAE Systems to make a total fleet of seven. However I don't know if that will still stand with the defence budget cuts following the financial crisis.

The cost of the first three boats was supposed to be a mere snip at £3.5 billion, but last I heard it was running at £900 million over budget ...
Pobody's nerfect
Smersh
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby RICH-ENGLAND » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:09 pm

£900 million over budget, there's no wonder bae has become the worlds largest defence company.....

what makes me wonder about these companies is that when something goes over budget and also past its agreed deadline the extra costs etc come from our governments which in turn come from our taxes, yet if any normal construction company fails in that way the cost comes out of their own pocket.......

thanks

rich
RICH-ENGLAND
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby calcoastseeker » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:39 pm

Well I think it may be the smoking lantern.

It is a signal that smoking is allowed.

If it was not they would pull it in.

No other reason for it to be there other than being used as a signal.
calcoastseeker

Postby Smersh » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:08 am

RICH-ENGLAND wrote:£900 million over budget, there's no wonder bae has become the worlds largest defence company ...

Aye Rich. "Jobs for the boys" I suppose.

HMS Astute was in the news here in UK back in April but not very good news I'm afraid. A crewman was shot dead, apparently by another crewman, whilst the sub was docked in Southampton. And the leader of Southampton City Council was on board at the time on a visit and "wrestled the crewman to the ground."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-13014640
Pobody's nerfect
Smersh
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby RICH-ENGLAND » Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:28 pm

@smersh.

damn, i missed that story, although i do remember astute running aground not so long ago in scotland, i was expecting some major repair work and for it to be laid up for a long time but cant have been as bad as the news made out!.

thanks

rich
RICH-ENGLAND
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Google

Return to The Latrine - Anything Else