What is gravity anyway?

Holographic Universe or Computer Simulation? Big Bang or God?

Moderators: ryguy, chrLz, Zep Tepi

What is gravity anyway?

Postby Zep Tepi » Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:40 am

I always smile when I read or hear about people who say they are working on anti-gravity research. It would help them greatly if they knew what gravity actually was in the first place!

This article about the "surfer dude" who just might end up being this century's Albert Einstein is a fascinating read. Videos and pics included.

From NewScientist:
Is mathematical pattern the theory of everything?

Excerpt. Visit link for full article.
GARRETT LISI is an unlikely individual to be staking a claim for a theory of everything. He has no university affiliation and spends most of the year surfing in Hawaii. In winter, he heads to the mountains near Lake Tahoe, California, to teach snowboarding. Until recently, physics was not much more than a hobby.

That hasn't stopped some leading physicists sitting up and taking notice after Lisi made his theory public on the physics pre-print archive this week (www.arxiv.org/abs/0711.0770). By analysing the most elegant and intricate pattern known to mathematics, Lisi has uncovered a relationship underlying all the universe's particles and forces, including gravity - or so he hopes. Lee Smolin at the Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics (PI) in Waterloo, Ontario, Canada, describes Lisi's work as "fabulous". "It is one of the most compelling unification models I've seen in many, many years," he says.

That's some achievement, as physicists have been trying to find a uniform framework for the fundamental forces and particles ever since they developed the standard model more than 30 years ago. The standard model successfully weaves together three of the four fundamental forces of nature: the electromagnetic force; the strong force, which binds quarks together in atomic nuclei; and the weak force, which controls radioactive decay. The problem has been that gravity has so far refused to join the party.

Cheers,
Zep
Zep Tepi
1 of the RU3

Postby murnut » Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:37 am

Totally cool bro! 8)

ya have done us surfers proud :wink:
"The Conformers are hard to read. They are rocks."
murnut
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality

Postby Chorlton » Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:17 am

Great work but it still doesnt stop my toast from falling on the butter and jam side :wink:
I have become that which I always despised and feared........Old !

My greatest wish, would be to own my own scrapyard.
Chorlton
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Postby yfxxx » Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:52 pm

Chorlton wrote:Great work but it still doesnt stop my toast from falling on the butter and jam side :wink:

That's because this annoying behaviour of the toast is a direct consequence of the universe as it is :D :

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/rajm/toast.htm

Anyway, the subject theory is very interesting - I guess the next few years will show if it's a real breakthrough. And the best thing about it are the statements of Garrett Lisi:

"This is an all-or-nothing kind of theory - it's either going to be exactly right, or spectacularly wrong”, says Lisi.

and
The crucial test of Lisi's work will come only when he has made testable predictions. Lisi himself accepts this, saying that although his theory is beautiful to him, "nature may disagree".

Openly accepting the possibility that your theory may be wrong, and subjecting it to experimental testing, is what distinguishes a scientist from a crackpot.

Regards
yf
yfxxx

Postby caleban » Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:49 pm

GARRETT LISI is an unlikely individual to be staking a claim for a theory of everything.

I respectfully disagree. Here is his bio, and links to his other publications:

http://sifter.org/~aglisi/Physics/CV.html

Here is his paper (submitted for peer review) :

http://www.arxiv.org/abs/0711.0770

Click the PDF in the upper right corner.

I wonder if anyone has ever shown him Heim's Quantum Geometry Theory ?
caleban
In Search of Reality
In Search of Reality

Google

Return to Reality