The Black Hole, the Big Bang, and Modern Physics

Holographic Universe or Computer Simulation? Big Bang or God?

Moderators: ryguy, chrLz, Zep Tepi

The Black Hole, the Big Bang, and Modern Physics

Postby Mungodave » Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:09 am

A bit of background.

Stephen J Crothers is a friend of our family, son of my fathers lifelong friend.

We used to kick around, all 8 boys as children.
I lost track of them early 70's ( the boys that is ).

My father called me recently as his friend had been in touch with news that Steve had
achieved his PhD, and was currently in Europe, speaking about his theories.
He was then off to Russia for the same purpose.

People in his world were taking notice !

From what I have read (insert vaguely comprehend) from the following, it was not an easy road.
His sceptics were many. He appears to have become increasingly frustrated and understandably
short tempered which becomes obvious.

The papers are directly from his website, and although I haven't managed to get through it all
I'm pretty sure his latest papers are not yet published there.

Stephen believes that the basic premise for the big bang theory along with black holes is flawed mathematically, and has set out his reasons why.

This is where I loose the plot.

I dont do math of this calibre... flat out no idea.

So, I was hoping the people on this site may know, or know someone who does, whether this science is sound.

Thanks for the opportunity.

Dave

Stephen J Crothers Website:

http://www.sjcrothers.plasmaresources.com/index.html
Mungodave

Re: The Black Hole, the Big Bang, and Modern Physics

Postby Access Denied » Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:02 pm

Interesting, sounds like your friend has had a (not too surprising) tough go of it. Thanks for sharing, I’ll take a look at it but the math is probably over my head too but I am familiar with some of the most common challenges to general relativity… he couldn’t have picked a more well established theory.

Are you sure he’s not a masochist? :)

In the meantime, here’s a recent article in the LA Times about a different aspect of the black hole controversy you may find interesting...

'The Black Hole War: My Battle With Stephen Hawking to Make the World Safe for Quantum Mechanics' by Leonard Susskind Two titans of theoretical physics slug it out over whether or not information is lost forever once it enters a black hole.
http://www.latimes.com/features/books/l ... 3593.story

In a packed lecture hall at Columbia University in 1958 -- or so the story goes -- the eminent physicist Wolfgang Pauli was presenting a radical new theory. In the audience was Niels Bohr, another eminent physicist, who, at lecture's end, stood up and announced: "We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct."

"Crazy enough" is no doubt a thought that occurred to Stanford theoretical physicist Leonard Susskind when he came up with his holographic principle -- an idea that has recently gained traction in the physics community. The principle, which states that our universe is a three-dimensional projection of information stored in two dimensions at the boundary of space, certainly ranks as crazy. But is it crazy enough?

After reading Susskind's entertaining new book, "The Black Hole War," you may decide that, yes, the holographic principle may well be on the good side of crazy. But before he gets to the holographic principle, Susskind gives an explanation, both lucid and enjoyable, of why black holes are so crucial to the future of physics and to any eventual reconciliation of relativity and quantum mechanics.

Also, you may find these recent articles helpful that discuss the possibility that the LHC experiment may help end some aspects of the black hole controversy…

The benefits of black holes
http://cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com/archive/ ... 80976.aspx

Black holes for beginners
http://cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com/archive/ ... 67531.aspx
Men go and come but Earth abides.
Access Denied
1 of the RU3

Postby You Can Call Me Ray » Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:21 pm

Thanks for the pointers to Susskind's work, AD:

Access Denied wrote:
After reading Susskind's entertaining new book, "The Black Hole War," you may decide that, yes, the holographic principle may well be on the good side of crazy.

Another great figure of theoretical physics had also developed a holographic theory. The late John Archibald Wheeler was a proponent of this theory, although I believe his view was that our 3-D reality was a contracted projection of information that exists in a higher dimension. The thing that really intrigued me about Wheeler's approach was that he was attempting to show a direct relationship between thermodynamic entropy as a limiting condition of information entropy. His argument followed the lines of how you "lose information" when you project a 3-D object in a 2-D space (e.g. when you draw a 3-D representation of a cube on a 2-D paper). He then tied this into his theory to attempt to explain why information entropy has a vastly larger number of states than thermodynamic entropy. I will try to find his paper on his theory...I believe I first read it in an edition of Scientific American back in the late 90s.

You can imagine, with my personal focus and research on information as a higher dimensional metric of energy, just how intrigued I was (and am) by Wheeler's thoughts, and that goes for Susskind's theory as well! :wink:

Ray
The Universe is an Integrated System. Operational, Functional, and Physical.
You Can Call Me Ray
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Postby You Can Call Me Ray » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:15 pm

Quoting oneself is a sure sign of dementia... Welcome to my jungle! #-o

You Can Call Me Ray wrote: The thing that really intrigued me about Wheeler's approach was that he was attempting to show a direct relationship between thermodynamic entropy as a limiting condition of information entropy. His argument followed the lines of how you "lose information" when you project a 3-D object in a 2-D space (e.g. when you draw a 3-D representation of a cube on a 2-D paper). He then tied this into his theory to attempt to explain why information entropy has a vastly larger number of states than thermodynamic entropy. I will try to find his paper on his theory...I believe I first read it in an edition of Scientific American back in the late 90s.

My remembry of that SciAm article was off...on several accounts! :? First, the SciAm article was written by Jacob Bekenstein, not Wheeler. But it discussed Wheeler's foundational work with the concepts. Second, the relationship between the two entropies was not quite what I said above. In fact, that has been the work of Hawking, T'Hooft, and Susskind to mature these ideas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holographi ... el_summary

The physical universe is widely seen to be composed of "matter" and "energy". In his 2003 article published in Scientific American magazine, Jacob Bekenstein summarized a current trend started by John Archibald Wheeler, a collaborator of Albert Einstein, which suggests scientists may "regard the physical world as made of information, with energy and matter as incidentals." Bekenstein quotes William Blake and questions whether the Holographic principle implies that seeing "the world in a grain of sand," could be more than "poetic license".[7]

Of course, this is exciting stuff to me, because for the last 20 years I have personally researched the connection between information and energy in my career as a control systems guy.

I feel lucky to be living through this time. I think it will be a major breakthrough in information AND energy efficiency!
Ray
The Universe is an Integrated System. Operational, Functional, and Physical.
You Can Call Me Ray
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Google

Return to Reality