Cosmic strings in a swimming pool

Holographic Universe or Computer Simulation? Big Bang or God?

Moderators: ryguy, chrLz, Zep Tepi

Cosmic strings in a swimming pool

Postby 1o6 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:46 am

Last edited by 1o6 on Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
1o6

Re: Cosmic strings in a swimming pool

Postby Access Denied » Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:29 pm

[topic moved to a more appropriate forum]

Top of the mornin’ to ‘ya 0.16666666666666666666666666666667 :)

Hmm… Kiehn, R. M. ‘ya say?

1o6 wrote: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyjwZ39EDmw

http://arxiv.org/ftp/gr-qc/papers/0101/0101098.pdf

“Can the nucleus of M31 be connected to the nucleus of our Milky way galaxy by a tubular cosmic thread?"

Err, based on the abstract [the rest of the paper gave me a headache] I’m guessing no…

Abstract: Topological defects experimentally induced by rotational dynamics in a continuous media replicate the coherent structure features of cosmic strings as well as hadrons.

Keyword “continuous media”… as far as I know (i.e. until proven otherwise) space (the Universe) isn’t a continuous media.

Unlike a pool of water (a closed system for the purpose of this experiment) where everything’s “intimately” connected and interactions include Newton's laws of motion and can be modeled with continuum mechanics... objects in space are separated by large distances with (practically) nothing (a near perfect vacuum) in between to “connect” them and interactions are limited to two of the four fundamental forces (gravitation and electromagnetism) in accordance with the inverse-sqaure law.

Simply put, conservation of momentum tells us a photon for example will (in theory) continue on it’s merry way forever if it doesn’t run into or get too close to anything else… in which case Newton’s third law need not apply to it again and for all practical purposes it will cease to affect (or be affected by) anything else.

In other words, since the Big Bang, ultimately everything’s disconnected (non-continuous) and there is no “hidden hand” at work.

[that is of course assuming we live in an open universe as all evidence to date suggests]

The ultimate fate of an expanding universe is determined by whether Ω [Omega] is greater than, less than, or equal to 1.

Ultimate Fate of the Universe

But I digress… :)

I would label this video and paper deceptive if not simply misguided.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmic_string

It was once thought that the gravitational influence of cosmic strings might contribute to the large-scale clumping of matter in the universe, but all that is known today through galaxy surveys and precision measurements of the cosmic microwave background fits an evolution out of random, gaussian fluctuations. These precise observations therefore tend to rule out a significant role for cosmic strings.

Back to the drawing board… :D
Men go and come but Earth abides.
Access Denied
1 of the RU3

Google

Return to Reality